Hash Browns and Black Bean Burgers

by on January 21, 2006

Our meal time keeps getting later and later. Last night it was closing in on 7:30, and I still didn’t have a clue what I was going to fix. I just knew that it was Friday night, and I did not want to be in the kitchen all night. (My husband, who does the dishes, also asked that it be a one-pot meal, but I callously ignored that.)

Hash Browns

I decided to fix oven-baked hash browns before I knew what would go with them. While I weighed the merits of scrambled tofu or barbecued beans, I got the hash browns started. Here’s what you do:

While the hash browns were baking, I finally decided what would go with them: Black Bean Burgers. There are “official” recipes for black bean burgers, but I didn’t feel like looking them up, so I made this up on the spot.

(E. took the photo, by the way. In one shot. Now that it’s published here, she will never understand why Mom takes 30 photos of each dish.)

Black Bean Burgers

That’s it! I got the meal to the table in about 30 minutes, minus the time I spent taking photos. We served these with salsa, onions, black olives, jalapeños, lettuce, and tomatoes, but you can have them however you want. In fact, E. put hers on whole wheat bread with Nayonaise and Ketchup. (We don’t know where that child got her taste buds!)

1 Azahara March 14, 2010 at 7:59 am

I served these with your rendition of the ratatouille and the combination was fantastic.
Like the author of the last comment, I too am a college student, and love the fact that I can get these burgers ready while the ratatouille cooks in the oven.

Thanks for making it so easy for us!

2 cortney June 12, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I just made these and they were so, so good and so filling! I topped them with sauteed mushrooms and onions. I didn’t use the flax seed and probably used about a third of a tablespoon for the mix, and that worked well. I seasoned it with cumin and Lowry’s seasoning salt, which was absolutely yum. Thanks so much for the recipe!

3 Amanda June 23, 2010 at 11:15 am

This was a hit last night!
I wanted to make my Dad something new…he’s not vegetarian and he’s big on processed snacks and likes meat for a main course. I’m working on getting him to eat healthier…well, I have been for years, but it seems he’s actually budging now. Perhaps it’s because I’m a little better at preparing foods than I used to be. Anyways, he really liked this meal and so did I. It will definitely be a regular.
I’ve known about this site for a while but yesterday was the first time I really felt inspired to go through with the recipes on here. I’ll be trying another recipe of yours for tonight’s dinner: Real Louisiana read beans and rice…can’t say that I’ve ever had the real thing but my mom used to make red beans and rice with sausage and I liked it so I’m really looking forward to a veganized one!

4 CarrieAnn December 26, 2010 at 3:55 pm

The black bean burgers were delicious. I’ve never made them with rice until now, and it was perfect. Will definitely make again.

5 Raychelle January 25, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I just made these burgers for dinner and the were so tasty! Thank you!

6 kristina May 10, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Hi Susan V.,
Just want to thank you for your blog. I have a very picky 19-month old and husband and have been having trouble finding stuff they like. My daughter seemed to love these and hoping my husband will also.

Could you share with me what your typical food budget is for a week? We are on such a tight budget and wondering how well this will work. Also what do you find is the easiest way to plan meals? Do you have a bunch of tried and true recipes and then mix in some new ones? Would you be willing to share a tried and true weekly menu? Having such a hard time converting to vegan and non preprocessed items… and have found that alot of meals seem to take me two hours to prepare with disasterous results.

Thank you!!!

7 LT May 10, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Hey Kristina!

First, there’s two of us in this household and we normally spend $60 per week on produce.

When I plan I normally choose 3 – 4 recipes that I know will work, 1 – 2 that I’m pretty sure will work, and one that is adventurous. In that mix, I try to choose things that use common ingredients, preventing me from having to buy 60 different exotic things every week. You may want to consider making Thai green curry one night and preparing extra rice, then the following night you make stir-fried rice with veggies and tofu – which is easy because the rice was cooked yesterday!

My time saving advice is to clean up your veggies when you get home from the store. Wash cilantro and parsley, then store them in a container with paper towel to absorb moisture and extend shelf life. Clean up broccoli and cauliflower, soak in water – rinse daily. Clean up carrots and celery, also soak in water. Onions and garlic can be chopped up and stored in containers. With all this out of the way, it’ll save you a lot of time when you’re actually making dinner.

Hope that helps!

Lisa

8 Katie May 11, 2011 at 10:35 am

Hi Kristina,

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/ has some good tips.

9 kristina May 11, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Thank you both for your advice! I am somehow spending alot more than that.

10 katiekay7 June 7, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Love these… and going in recipe box.
As a note on recipe the first time I made these I didn’t have any brown rice so I made without. Only had leeks so I used those. They stuck together great and didn’t need cornstarch.
The second time I made these I used rice and they fell apart… so my advice would be to leave the rice out and you wont miss it :)

11 katiekay7 June 7, 2011 at 6:55 pm

oops – above is note on burgers not hasb browns.

12 Nancy Greene September 14, 2011 at 11:59 am

Love your website But recipe’s are not printer friendly.

13 SusanV September 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Most of my recipes now have printer pages, but a lot of the very early ones didn’t. If you see something you want me to make printable, just let me know. I’ll add a printer page to this one ASAP.

14 Lilly September 16, 2011 at 10:10 am

This looks great!
What I like to do is each week I go through the kitchen and write on the chalk board everything that I can think of to make with what we have. It makes dinner time planning easier so quicker, reduces waste and prevents us from buying things we don’t really need. But I still get left with odd bits of stuff and Im always looking for new things to use them up. This looks just what I need, thankyou, I love this blog.

15 Kathy January 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Thank you for all your wonderful recipes! You make my new lifestyle (4 months now) so very easy and so delicious! Thank you!

16 Micah February 27, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Your site is a gold mine. I absolutely love it. Thank you for posting all these recipes and great looking foods. I get so hungry here!

17 Jessica July 16, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Love these! Made these this afternoon and formed into patties and stuck in the fridge. I did not use the corn starch and they were very easy to flip when I cooked them later. Added 2 cloves of chopped garlic to onions and peppers…yum!

18 Melanie August 4, 2012 at 8:53 am

Absolutely love your recipes! I plan to make this for the carnivorous hubby tonight. We both love black beans so I’m confident he will love it. I love how simple and straightforward they are! And the fact that you have pictures is great for people like me who are visually stimulated :)

19 Teresa August 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm

If I baked these instead of fry them, would you still recommend using the corn starch? Thanks for sharing!!

20 Susan Voisin August 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Yes, it just helps them stay together better, even if they’re baked.

21 Esther J November 4, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I wanted a low-key Sunday supper, and this definitely was it. I made both the burgers and the hash browns, and added steamed broccoli to the meal.

Thanks, Susan, for all your work and sharing so very generously your gifting with all of us. I started an oil-free, plant-based/nutritarian diet (for health reasons) in January, and without your recipes, the transition would have been so much more difficult (and far less delicious). Now, I can’t imagine eating any other way.

Your blog has truly been a Godsend.

Thank you so very much and be well. :)

22 Esther J November 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Oh, I meant to include that I added a couple of cloves of minced garlic to the burgers, and I also baked my hash browns in soy sauce (low-sodium), then sprinkled with garlic powder out of the oven. A very familiar flavor from my childhood. Yum.

23 Frances May 1, 2013 at 10:09 am

This recipe “inspired” my dinner last night. I didn’t have cooked rice handy so I crumbled in a couple of slices of bread. I also didn’t use the flax or cornstarch and they held together pretty well due to the bread. I had a little guacamole with them and the whole thing had a great flavor. Thanks Susan, as always. I use your site several times a week.

24 Vikki January 3, 2014 at 5:37 am

Hi Susan, just wondering, do you need to mix the flaxseeds in water first or do they go into the mix dry?

25 Susan Voisin January 3, 2014 at 8:21 am

Hi Vikki, I just add the ground flax seed directly to the mixture, dry.

26 Anna July 20, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Just made these and they are absolutely amazing!!!!! Even my father (born and raised on a cattle farm), really liked them. Perfect on a gluten free bun with ketchup and dijon mustard.

27 Anna July 20, 2014 at 3:01 pm

P.S comment was on Burgers, haha!