Brussels Sprouts Two Ways

by on February 15, 2006

Now that my Valentine’s-induced hysteria is over, I can finally get back to writing about my new true love: Brussels Sprouts! Since our stores here have finally started carrying fresh sprouts, I’ve been cooking a lot of them, and I’ve learned why people say that fresh ones are so much better than frozen. I’ve also discovered that you hardly have to cook them at all–the preparation actually takes longer than the cooking.

My daughter E’s favorite way to have Brussels is with cashew sauce (it’s her favorite way to eat any vegetable) but, if she can’t have cashew sauce, she prefers them plain. My husband and I also like them plain, but sometimes we like to dress them up with a little sauce. So, what I do is remove some of the sprouts right after they’re cooked for E. and then add the sauce for the grown-ups. Here’s the latest way we’ve enjoyed them:

Brussels Sprouts with Lemon-Mustard Sauce

I think I’m going to start keeping a container of these in the fridge for snacks. Think about it: they’re low in calories, high in nutrients, and taste great. It’ll be a healthy snack for E.–and I need something to keep me away from that Valentine’s chocolate! ;-)

1 Kristen November 24, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I made these for a friend of mine who was — gasp! — a 26-year old brussels sprout virgin! She LOVED them, as did I. The blend of flavors in this recipe took my favorite veggie to a whole new level. Thank you so much!

2 Yadi September 7, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I just made these. It was the first time I ever had brussels sprouts. They were amazing!!! Will make them again and again.

3 Bonnie July 13, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Have I mentioned that I loved these? This has become one of my favorite Brussels sprouts recipes. Thanks for sharing, Susan!

4 Flavia February 27, 2012 at 7:47 pm

BEST recipe ever!! Make it all the time :)

5 Yael April 19, 2012 at 1:00 pm

We’ve been coming back to “brussels sprouts two ways” for a long time… but now it seems to be “brussels sprouts one way”! What happened to the second recipe?

6 Susan Voisin April 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Hi Yael, the recipe is the same as it’s always been. What makes it “two ways” is that I serve the sprouts without the sauce to my daughter and then add the lemon sauce for my husband and me. That’s explained in the last paragraph of the recipe section.

7 Yael April 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Ahh! I see! Well, then. I must be thinking of a different blog post with two or maybe it was three different ways to prep brussels sprouts. In any case, we DO use this recipe a lot — we just made it tonight — delicious!

8 Gwen January 24, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Just want to say that I love this recipe and make it quite often when fresh organic sprouts are available. Thanks!

9 Jobina March 18, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Hi. I tried these tonight but added cooked broccoli to the end and made more of the sauce to make it more of a cheesy soup. It was really good!!

10 Jobina March 18, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I forgot to say in my email that I added nutritional yeast to it to make it a soup.