Vindaloo Vegetables

by on February 16, 2006

Vindaloo Vegetables

I’m a big fan of one-pot meals. If I can put a lot of veggies and some beans into a stew and serve it over a whole grain, it’s less work for me to prepare the meal and less clean-up for my husband, so we’re both happy.

Last night I fell back on one of our favorite one-pot meals. It’s an adaptation of a recipe from Robin Robertson’s Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. Slow cookers are fine when you are organized enough to set them up hours before you want to eat, but I can rarely think ahead 10 minutes, much less 10 hours. So I changed this recipe to eliminate the need for the crock-pot. I’ve also increased the seasoning and changed the way in which the ingredients are combined. And–naturally–I’ve taken out the oil. For the sweetener, I’ve substituted a date for the brown sugar the recipe originally called for; I find it gives the sauce a better flavor, and it’s a less processed form of sugar.

Vindaloo Vegetables

Veggies and Spices (I always think the veggies are so much prettier before they’re cooked so I had to include a shot of them here.)

If you’re interested in the crock-pot version, you can see my fat-free adaptation of it on the Fatfree Vegan website. Fans of this recipe from the site may note that today’s version contains extra cumin and coriander and a new ingredient–cardamom. What can I say? I’m always fiddling around with recipes, even old favorites. :-)

Current day month ye@r *

1 lovemyfamily March 20, 2010 at 7:00 am

We served this over some Quinoa and we really enjoyed it. My 2 year old was not impressed but I still made him eat some, yes I am a mean mommy.

2 Annasrobbie September 12, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Delicious! I forgot to put the peas in at the end which would have made it even better but I have been enjoying these leftovers for a few days now and plan to make this again soon. Your website has been a wonderful resource for me with its healthful dishes!

3 Marina October 10, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Hi Susan
I wanna try this recipe but I’m not a big fan of dates, so I don’t wanna buy a big bag and then wasted, so what can I use as a substitute? Thanks

4 SusanV October 11, 2010 at 9:45 am

Just use a teaspoon of brown sugar instead of the date.

5 Kristina January 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm

LOVED THIS! Soooo easy to make, delicious and leaves lots of leftovers! Thank you!

6 Becca November 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm

This was just wonderful! The cayenne/date/vinegar really played so nicely off of each other! Thanks for the great recipe!!

7 Inez Whipple November 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I was looking for tasty slow cooker recipes and found this. Can’t wait to try it. We <3 Indian!

I wasn't a big slow cooker fan either until recently when I found this trick – prepping several slow cooker meals at one time on the weekend and putting them in the freezer. Everything goes into a freezer bag pretty much raw, including the spices. During the week, just pull the bag out of the freezer, plop it in the slow cooker, add some water, turn it ON (haha, yes I made that mistake before!), and forget it! We made 4 meals last weekend with 45 minutes of prep (cooking only the onions/celery). Each meal made enough for another full meal, so 8 meals in 45 minutes! Takes a little planning, but it's very much worth it.

8 Yevette January 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I am fasting at this time. So trying to be creative in my meal preparation. I just happen to stumble across your website. I will be dining on your eggplant and chickpea curry dish tonight. I can’t wait to try it. I have a feeling your website is going to be a life saver.

9 christina m. January 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm

What would it do to the calories if this recipe was cooked without the kidney beans? Thanks!

10 Susan Voisin January 30, 2012 at 12:16 pm

The kidney beans add 54 calories per serving.

11 debbie willoughby June 21, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Yummy ! Served it over couscous and added some cinnamon and it turned out delicious! Thank you for all of the great recipes!

12 Cynthia February 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm

We had this last week and I was skeptical, even though I am primarily a vegetarian. Fed it to my meat-eating 20-something son and husband. They were very impressed and eagerly devoured it! It was even more flavorful as leftovers. Lately I have been turning to Susan’s recipes when I can’t think of anything healthy to cook. She has been such a savior to me lately!! Thanks so much for all you do to make lives healthier and tastier!

13 Marian Gleason February 15, 2013 at 11:05 am

Looks GOOD, Susan! I’ll do this on the weekend so I have some veggies ready to go for meals during the week. Photo (on FB) to follow!! xxMarian

14 Leila February 18, 2013 at 10:41 am

Susan, I’m so glad you posted this. Really enjoyed the dish. And my ‘I-can’t-believe-we’re-not-eating-meat-and-diary-anymore’ Pakistani husband liked it too. He told me: “This is the way I want you to cook!”

I have never been much of a cook, but things are looking up since finding you and FatFree Vegan Kitchen. Question: Why is the date added? Is it only for sweetness? Or does it serve as a sub for Oil? How can it be used in other recipes?

Hope your day is a good one. Mine promises to be, cause I’ve got Vindaloo Vegetables leftovers!
Leila

15 kim baker February 10, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Wonderful , delightful, flavorful exotic, , Vindaloo Vegetables! I kept going back and talking about , and, to this dish. Oh my!

16 BarbDon February 17, 2014 at 6:52 pm

This was dinner tonight. Yum! I couldn’t have a vindaloo without potato though. Thanks for the update, it’s a keeper.

17 Robin February 19, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Susan, sounds great. I know my husband won’t try it with cauliflower in it. Think I could sub with broccoli?

18 Susan Voisin February 19, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I don’t see why not. Hope he enjoys it!

19 Jem May 5, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Just made this today. Yum! However, I didn’t get a “paste” when I mixed the spices, etc. With 1/2 cup water, it wasn’t nearly like a paste. Didn’t seem to impact the flavor though. My husband and I LOVE spicy food so this was perfect. I also added a bit more cayenne because we like HEAT! Thank you so much. I seem to love all of your recipes.

{ 1 trackback }