Stewed Okra and Tomatoes

by on March 12, 2006

A great okra dish starts with choosing okra that is fresh and young. Test it by bending the tip back. If it snaps off, the okra is fresh. If it doesn’t, don’t buy it.

This is a fast, easy way to cook okra that preserves the fresh taste by not over-cooking it. The okra is cut in half lengthwise, which saves time and keeps the lovely shape of the vegetable. You may notice a little bit of stickiness as you cut it and begin cooking it, but by the time it’s done, all of that sliminess will be cooked out.

Stewed Okra and Tomatoes

This is delicious as an accompaniment to yesterday’s Tofu Jambalaya. You won’t believe how wonderful fresh okra can taste!

1 RH December 31, 2009 at 7:23 pm

My name is Ranie. Today, I bought okra for the first time in my life. I found your blog while trying to find out how to cook it. Your recipe sounds great!!! I am also a big fan of living without processed fat and sugar, although I am not a vegan. Thanks.
Happy New Year!

2 amanda August 13, 2010 at 1:11 pm

yesterday i picked up some okra at the farmers market even though i had no idea how to cook it! i found this recipe in a search. i served it with quinoa and used fresh tomatoes rather than canned. so good!

3 JNL October 26, 2010 at 11:44 am

I loved this recipe, even though I’m not at all vegan. This plus some smoked fish with plain rice is my latest obsession. The okras have a great crunchy taste, and a dash of ginger made it a little spicier.

Thanks for sharing this healthy meal!

4 Sara Pereira December 21, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I make a vegan low fat stew with okra, skredded white cabbage, lentils, canned tomatoes and pretty much the same seasonings you use here. Very healthy and perfectly satisfying on its own without the need to make rice wich is very useful if you like to cook in batches and then freeze by the dose so you will have a very nice quick healthy lunch anytime, even when time is short =)

5 buddhist princess May 23, 2011 at 10:58 am

Thanks SusanV, this was my first time attempting to cook okra. Supper delicious ! Instead of rice or noddles I addes Enoki mushrooms at the very end.
peace.

6 Jane August 25, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Great recipe. Had it for dinner last night. I did not have celery but the finished produce was still delicious.. Thanks for the great recipe!

7 Rachel November 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Just tried this one last night and loved it! I did mine with fresh tomatoes and a little bit of water and it tastes wonderful! Thanks as always for the great inspiration.

8 Jennifer Musu January 29, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I realize my post is almost 6 years to the date of your original post, but I am on a 21 day fast of fruits and veggies. I recently purchased a bag of frozen okra and have been looking on the net for a great recipe and stumbled across your blog! I had every ingredient, except the red wine vinegar. Needless to say, it was 9p and I decided to make it anyways and I absolutely love it! Thank you for sharing, I will definitely make this again…even post fast!