Brussels Sprouts Go Asian

by on May 17, 2006

Here’s a different way to use fresh Brussels sprouts. It’s tasty and can be served over rice or pasta as a main dish or alone as a side dish. It comes together in minutes, too!

Some of you may notice that this week I am lightening up my menus a good bit (yes, even “fat-free” vegan food can sometimes be heavy). While I need to lighten up my meals, my husband and daughter do not, so I’ve been making some adjustments to the dishes I serve them. For this dish, I added a little re-hydrated TVP (textured vegetable protein) to their stir-fry and served it over buckwheat soba noodles tossed with a little soy sauce and sesame oil. I served mine over shirataki noodles that were boiled for two minutes and then tossed with 1/8 tsp. of sesame oil.
They got a little extra protein and carbohydrates while I got a meal that was very light but delicious.

(This was the main course I served with yesterday’s Carrot Stick Bundles.)

1 Melissa October 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm

This was really good. I used only 1 Tbs of low sodium soy sauce and I didn’t have any mirin so I used Saki. I threw in a handful of raw cashews.

We are adding this to our rotation and I shared the like with most of my family.

Thanks, Susan

Melissa

2 Kim February 21, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I loved this recipe – thanks for sharing! I have recently started getting fresh weekly produce delievered and my mission is to not let anything in the bag go to waste. When I saw that this weeks bag had brussel sprouts in it, I didn’t know what to do with them.

I found your recipe and well….I think that I might be buying brussel sprouts more often!

THANKS

Kim

3 Katie September 9, 2011 at 7:10 am

Thank you for making me like Brussels Sprouts! I can’t wait to make them again!

4 Emily September 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm

This looks terrific but I can’t stand mushrooms. Is there a way to substitute tofu? By the way, I’m not completely vegetarian (yet) but your wonderful website is leading me in that direction. I like how you use a lot of vegetables and do not rely on “fake” meat or cheese.

5 SusanV September 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Thanks, Emily! I think you could skip the mushrooms and add cubes of baked tofu in at the end. That would make it more of a main dish, too.

6 KBeane January 20, 2012 at 7:54 pm

This was seriously delicious. I also served mine over shirataki noodles, but threw in some diced baked tofu. I have never had brussels sprouts in a stir-fry before, but it was awesome.

7 Erin Anderson January 30, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Hi,

I love your recipe. I have to modify it to be gluten free. FYI, I believe that TVP is NOT gluten free. I know you are not advertising as a gluten free site. It’s just information some people need before hand. A friend found out the hard way after eating sushi.
Thanks again for all your great work.
Erin

8 Marian Gleason May 16, 2013 at 10:48 am

I don’t have the rice wine in my pantry, but have all the other ingredients on hand, so will be making this ASAP!!! I’ll let you know on the FB page how much Bill & I love it. (You already KNOW we WILL!!!) xxMarian

9 J T Rose May 16, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Do you have a cookbook? If you do, how can I get one?