Special Mothers’ Day Fat-Full Edition!
Even vegans watching their diets deserve some chocolate decadence every now and then–and this goes doubly for mothers. Most of us watch not only our own diets but also our children’s and significant others’. So I say, give your mom or your children’s mom or your partner’s mom or your pets’ mom a treat this year. Surprise her with a chocolate pie so dense with luscious chocolate that she’ll never believe it’s vegan. But it is.
Chocolate a l’Orange Mousse Pie
- 1 12-ounce package of firm silken tofu
- 10 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (dairy-free kind)
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- prepared graham cracker crust
- sliced almonds and grated orange peel for garnish
- Blend tofu, orange liquor, and agave nectar or syrup in food processor (or blender) just until smooth. Melt chocolate chips over double boiler. Put chocolate into processor and mix with tofu until creamy. Pour into a graham cracker crust. Chill. Top with sliced almonds and orange peel. Serve to a mom and watch her smile!
Preparation time: 10 minute (plus chilling time)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Nutrition (per serving): 333 calories, 145 calories from fat, 17.4g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 160.4mg sodium, 39.3mg potassium, 43.6g carbohydrates, 2.6g fiber, 12g sugar, 3.4g protein, 9.6 points.
Caveat: If the mom is seriously watching her diet, it’s best to check with her first to see how she feels about an occasional treat. If she doesn’t want the added fat and sugar of this dessert, consider making her a fat-free one. A few of my favorites are Chocolate Pudding Cake, Fatfree and Fabulous Fudgy Brownies, Applesauce Cake, and Upside-Down Peach Amaretto Cake. Or for a delicious dessert with no fat or added sugar, whip up a batch of Banana “Ice Cream.” She’ll appreciate the thought and time you put into creating something with her tastes and needs in mind.