Southwestern Black Bean Potato Salad

by on June 15, 2006

It was blazing hot, and The Spice Hater (aka my daughter E.) was eating dinner with friends. So I seized the opportunity to indulge in a little hot pepper action and mixed up a batch of super-spicy black bean-potato salad and let it marinate in the fridge until very cold. It tasted wonderful to my heat-seeking husband and me. But if you don’t like things quite so spicy, be sure you cut down on the chipotle and jalapeño peppers. It’ll still be tasty but won’t burn going down!

Southwestern Black Bean Potato Salad

Note to Eat to Livers: One serving of this should equal your starchy vegetable serving for the day.

1 Rebecca April 19, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I love this recipe – it is always a hit! I am going to make it for a barbecue next week. Thanks!

2 Sarah B. May 6, 2011 at 10:12 pm

This is lovely. It’s a versatile recipe too. I’ve just made a version where I added some nayonaise to create an aioli sauce, used half sweet potatoes, replaced the corn with peas, and replaced the tomato with even more red pepper. Although I left the chili pepper and jalapeno out, it’s still probably too hot for the kiddos at a vegan family potluck we’re attending tomorrow. But I think it’s perfect.

3 Anna June 22, 2013 at 5:25 am

Hi Susan. I was growing up on polish food where was no such thing like fat free. Taste was the most important at any cost! So when , few years ago I was changing the way I eat I try to fallow so many blogs and website’s .Was not easy, specialy for my family. Today , I’m not expert , but least I know what I’m doing only thanks to you. Today I use your recipe over and over again, I found them very tasteful easy and there is no complains from my husband!!!! This salad is another keeper specially on hot day like today. Thank you very much for sharing with all of us and sorry for my English.

4 Lav June 25, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I skipped the garlic, corn and chilli powder and used small whole potatoes (pressure cooked) instead of red potatoes – the salad was still awesome.
Thank you for recipe, this one is a keeper! :)

5 Kim December 2, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Outstanding! I toned down the heat quite a bit and added just a bit of nutritional yeast. I loved it! Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

6 Rusti April 16, 2014 at 7:21 am

Love this!! I only used one can of beans, ditched the tomatoes, and added some cilantro. Very yummy!!

7 Allison Lakomski June 15, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I literally just made this (it is still in the marinating phase), but I sampled and it’s a great blend of spice. I only had sweet potatoes, so I used those instead of red skins, and like one other commenter I only used one can of beans and added some cilantro.

8 Galia June 15, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I love your receipes !!! All of them !! So simple , !!

9 Tracy June 16, 2014 at 7:51 am

Susan, this looks great, I can’t wait to try it! Do you have a resource for chipotle chiles in adobo sauce without added oil?
Thanks!
Tracy

10 Sarah July 26, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Another great recipe … really awesome flavour. Very much appreciate all your recipes and tips.