Eggplant Creole

by on July 18, 2006

I needed a vegetable dish to go along with the Okara “Crab” Cakes, so Sunday’s dinner included this vegan version of the traditional Louisiana dish Shrimp Creole. I chose eggplant to replace the shrimp, not because it tastes anything like shrimp but because, unlike most vegetables, it holds its shape without becoming mushy and it absorbs the flavors of the sauce like a sponge.

This turned out delicious with just the right level of spiciness and enough of that Creole taste to satisfy this native Louisianian.

Eggplant Creole

1 KellyA April 30, 2010 at 7:05 am

Love this recipe! I’m a recent vegan from a family where Shrimp Creole is eaten regularly, and had resigned myself to eating the “pre-Shrimp” celery, pepper, onion, and tomato mixture only. But the addition of one of my new favorites, eggplant, brought this to a whole new level! I’m in Creole heaven! I like it better than the shrimp, to be honest!

2 Andrea Boddam September 23, 2010 at 9:42 am

I made this last night for myself an my omni boyfriend and even he was impressed with how great it was (he’s a ‘meat ‘n potatoes’ type guy).
I made a few changes based on the ingredients I had on hand (or didn’t have) so I omitted the broth (used salted diced tomatoes + a bunch of different spices), a whole red bell pepper, and omitted the nori as well.
This will definitely be made again and again! Delish!

3 Toni August 17, 2011 at 8:14 pm

This is a wonderful recipe. Fresh, flavorful and very easy on the calories. Can’t top eating it!!! I’ve made it several times now and will continue to do so.

4 Rita February 17, 2012 at 4:13 am

Another gob smacker! YUM! Have everything bar powdered nori. Not even sure where to get it here in the middle of Ireland. I presume it’s for flavor and not consistency? Can it be considered optional or does it just have to be there?

5 Susan Voisin February 17, 2012 at 7:08 am

The nori just adds a little flavor, so feel free to leave it out. Hope you enjoy it!

6 Sharon April 21, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I like to follow recipes precisely the first time, but didn’t have nori which Susan says isn’t an issue, and the parsley which I flat out forgot. Next time I’ll be sure to use the parsley! This was very good with a nice “meaty” texture. DH added more hot sauce, but I found the heat level to be perfect! Another winner Susan!

7 Wills Texas June 18, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I’ve never eaten eggplant before but have it growing in my garden this year. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

8 Christa November 16, 2013 at 10:02 am

I’m just wondering if I should peel the eggplant. The directions don’t indicate it but the picture suggests it.
Thanks. I have loved all the recipes so far.
Christa

9 Susan Voisin November 16, 2013 at 10:51 am

I don’t mind the peel, so I leave it on, but you can peel it if you like.

10 Leah May 23, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I made this for dinner tonight, and it was very tastey! Certainly a recipe I will have to have again. :)