Okara "Crab" Cakes

by on July 17, 2006

If you make your own soymilk, you know what okara is–it’s the soy pulp that’s left after all the “milk” is strained out. And if you’ve been throwing it out, you need to stop that right now because it’s very valuable stuff: It has almost as much protein as tofu but has 32 times as much fiber. It’s much closer to being a whole, unprocessed food than tofu and soymilk because it contains most of the original soybean.

Okara can be used in many ways; you can add it to baked goods, use it as an egg substitute, add it to soups and stews, or mix it into veggie burgers. Ever since I started making soymilk, I’ve experimented a lot with okara, but the following is my all-time favorite okara recipe. In fact, it’s so good that I would actually consider making soymilk just to get the okara to make “crab” cakes. They’re spicy, creamy, and crunchy all at the same time, and they taste so much like crab that it’s scary!

Okara Crab Cakes

For more info on okara, check out Ellen’s Kitchen.

1 Clea September 22, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Just wanted to say I am making these right now! So glad you have some okara recipes, since I just got a soymilk maker, and I was surprised to read about how healthy the leftover pulp is (and happy to put it to good use!) I love your okara cookies.
I used panko bread crumbs mixed with some paprika, garlic, onion, and parsley since I didn't have fresh parsley on hand. I also left out the celery and pepper (laziness!) and added a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten to help it hold together better…and a little shot of soy sauce. The batter is really good, and these will be great for later. I'm going to freeze them, but will be happy to try them later, maybe even in some club rolls for sandwiches. Thanks for the recipe!

2 reactoss March 3, 2010 at 3:07 am

This is fantastic! I just looked in the freezer yesterday and saw a tub of okara that I'd dried and frozen from my somewhat unsuccessful attempt at soymilk and I was wondering what I was going to do with it, this sounds great :)

Thank you!

3 One of the Girls March 14, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for the recipe! My cakes are in the oven. I made them with tofu because I didn't have an okara, so we shall see how they turn out. I am also making your eggless quiche and cauliflower soup! I was so inspired by your recipes I just had to get cookin'! It was amusing to see the looks on people's faces when I told them I was making crabless crabcakes and eggless quiche for dinner!

4 Za March 22, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Hi Sue, after soaking the beans I totally forgot to remove the skins although I did run the beans through water again before blending them. Is there any harm if the skins were not removed? Yikes! I just baked these and ate them. Yummy! – I hope I'll live to see the response. :)

5 SusanV March 23, 2010 at 6:33 am

Za, I don't think you're in any danger! Removing the skins from soybeans is just a taste thing–people say it makes a better-tasting soymilk, but it's totally optional (and kind of a pain).

6 Za March 23, 2010 at 11:09 am

I survived! Thanks! Have to say that my first experience with okara was a gd one thanks to you!

7 Virginie Péan March 28, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Your recipe was very helpful for my first experience with okara and I made a variation of your recipe here: http://absolutegreen.blogspot.com/2010/03/vege-crab-cakes-la-liveche-pop-sorgho.html
I confirm these Crab Cakes are very scary. The combination of oats and okara gives something really Crab-like. Thanks again for all your good ideas.

8 ms_min April 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I made soy milk, tofu, and okara “crab” cakes today–all from scratch, and for the first time ever. I think of the three, these okara cakes came out the best! My daughter and I wrapped each patty in a lettuce leaf, added a little tartar sauce, and ate them like a sandwich or a wrap—yum! Thanks for the great recipe!

9 Lotus_girl June 12, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I love this recipe! I made soymilk for the first time and wondered what to do with the remaining okara. I found this recipe and, my gosh, would make it again and again. I replaced the bread with 1 cup of freshly made brown rice, didn’t precook the veggies (instead blended the veggies in a food processor, then mixed with the okara), added garlic powder & onion powder instead of Old Bay Seasoning, and breaded them in Panko…and they still turned out 95% like an actual crab cake! Needless to say, this recipe is a new-found favorite! :)

10 Lindsay June 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Hello! This recipe looks amazing and I am excited to try it. I’m relatively new to the vegan thing, and I have never even heard of making your own soy milk. Because everyone has mentioned using the “leftover” okra from a process that I’ve never tried I’m not sure what part of the okra to use, what part not to use?

Thanks so much for keeping an amazing blog!

Lindsay

11 Lindsay June 22, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Wow, I feel dumb. I read “okra” instead of “okara”. I acutally didn’t even know what “okara” is but I Googled it and read the Wikipedia article. I suppose I should read a little more carefully next time . . .

12 Renee July 6, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Hi everyone, I tried to buy okara at local Asian supermarkets and whole food stores, but none of the stores carry it. Does anyone know if I can order it online somewhere? Thanks

13 Stephanie August 7, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I decided to try making tofu this morning. The tofu making thing is not going well, but the project is not a total failure because I saved the okara and made these crab cakes for lunch. Very tasty as a sandwich with some garlic aioli. Thank you!

14 Lisa January 18, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Wow! These are great! I baked them a little longer so they would be drier, but they are awesome! Thanks for the recipe.

15 Callie June 17, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Thanks for this recipe! I just made soymilk for the first time and now plan on creating some crab cakes!

Thanks for sharing!

16 Brenda February 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Susan
I am anxious to try this, thanks for posting it! I’ve been giving my okara to my dog (is it wrong to admit that?!)
Do you happen to know the nutritional content of homemade soy milk?
Ie grans protein, amt calcium, etc?

Haven’t been able to find that information.

Thanks!

17 Sam February 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Hi there,
I have a question for you. I don’t eat soy, but I would love to make the “Crab Cakes” to go along with your Eggplant Creole. Any suggestions what I could use as a substitute for the okara? Thanks.

18 Gretchen February 25, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I just made these for the first time tonight. They’re delicious. Now I have another use for the okara generated by my soy milk machine. I didn’t have any carrots, so I added some red bell pepper in addition to the green. I also didn’t have any oatmeal, so I added some quinoa. Just to make sure that it all adhered together, I added some flax meal to the mixture.

I served it with Tabasco and wasabi. Yum. Thanks for the recipe.

19 Deb March 29, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Hi Susan!
We gave these a go, and they are incredible! Hubby asked yesterday “isn’t it time to make more soy milk?”

thank you so much for this recipe and for all you do for vegans!!!
=) Deb

20 adamc June 28, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Just made these. They were pretty great! I now have a go to recipe for my leftover okara. Thanks!

21 Deedy August 27, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I’m sorry. I made these and they lacked taste. I’ve tried several variations even from Chef Bergeron. It’s lacking body and some elemental ingredient although I can’t put my finger on it. Thanks anyway.

22 Jerry January 14, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I don’t make soymilk but would like to use okara in you recipe. Can you suggest a place where it can be purchased?

23 Charity May 8, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Thank you so much for this fantastic recipe. My whole family loved it, and declared it “a keeper.” My boys (9 and 11) tend to conservative with compliments, so I was glad to find a kid-approved delicious recipe that allowed me to find use for the okara left over from our regular soy milk making sessions. For a great cocktail sauce, I combined ketchup, sriracha, and horseradish. Together, the “crab” cakes and cocktail sauce were amazing!!!

24 denise leach January 20, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I now have a soymilk machine and can’t recommend it enough to anyone who uses non dairy milk! Soyajoy BTW, though I can’t compare to any other.
The uses for okara are endless. When I first considered a machine to be too expensive I only thought of making milk with it–the pulp from soy, almonds and it’s ability to make such an easy task of soups and porridge (no porridge tried yet!) make it a great savings!
I made this recipe a year ago from an unpleasant homemade soymilk experience. The milk wasn’t very good, but the okara in this recipe had me hooked!
I never tell anyone to make their own soymilk before considering a machine, rather I tell them to try the very basic kind from an Asian grocery.