Red, White, and Blue Fruit Terrine

by on July 5, 2006

Red White and Blue Fruit Terrine

Here’s a light, summery dessert that will dress up any picnic table and not blow your diet. I used a white grape/peach 100% juice blend and added agar to create a healthy, updated “Jell-O” mold. The red, white, and blue layers are also 100% fruit–and 100% adaptable. Use your favorite combination of fruits, though some, such as kiwi, pineapple, fresh figs, papaya, mango, and peaches, contain enzymes which break down the gelling ability of agar (although cooking the fruit sometimes may solve this problem).

Strawberries and blueberries are among the most antioxidant-rich foods; blueberries especially have been proven to do everything from improving night vision to fighting cancer to lowering cholesterol!

Inspiration for this delicious dessert came from Berry and Banana Terrine at Simply Recipes.

1 Lesley June 4, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I just made this yesterday as a treat at a summer dessert party, and it turned out absolutely perfectly! Looked exactly like the picture! And it was delicious! I have to admit though, I’m simply not a big fan of bananas in desserts. Could you recommend something to replace the bananas with that won’t interact negatively with the agar?

2 SusanV June 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm

If you’re trying to keep the red-white-and-blue theme, apples could be used instead of bananas. If not, you could really use any fruit you like. I think peaches would be delicious.

3 Susan B July 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I am wondering whether I could use a clear trifle dish instead of the loaf pan- I wouldn’t plan on ‘unmoding’ it- just serving directly from the trifle dish, What are your thoughts- do you think I’d have any issue with it setting properly? Thanks!

4 SusanV July 2, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I think that would be beautiful and would set with no worries at all. Hope you enjoy it!

5 Paula Fredrikson July 3, 2010 at 5:38 am

I checked my local health food store for Agar yesterday and they didn’t have it. Would Whole Foods? or do I need to go to a specialty market? Thanks!

6 SusanV July 3, 2010 at 8:17 am

I’m sure Whole Foods would have agar in some form, but if you have an Asian grocery store nearby, it will probably be much, much cheaper there. I buy it in little packets under a brand called “Telephone.” There’s a picture of a packet in one of the photos on this post.

7 Paige July 4, 2011 at 9:17 am

I just want to say thank you! I made this for our 4th of July party and it was a big hit. My husband and I are finishing our first six weeks of the ETL program and I needed a dessert that would fit the plan and please our guests. I got so many requests for this recipe that I posted the link on my Facebook wall.

I thought the jelly, which I made with Trader Joe’s organic white grape juice, was delicious – good enough to eat on its own.

8 maria de lourdes santos de araujo September 3, 2011 at 1:56 pm

BOA TARDE SUSAN !AMEI SUAS RECEITAS SOU BRASILEIRA SOU TB CULINARISTA AMO COZINHAR ,CRIAR,ELABORAR NOVOS PRATOS TANTOS SALGADOS COMO DOCES. BREVE POSTAREI MINHA RECEITAS TB ESTOU ARRUMANDO MEU BLOG BEIJOS AGUARDO NOVAS RECEITAS.

9 Alex June 27, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I used the fruits and gelled some blended strawberries (with a dash of OJ to help blend) and put them in a freshly baked healthy pie crust from http://www.asksasha.com/Healthy-Cooking/Healthy-Easy-Pie-Crust-Recipe.html and the result was spectacular. Now I have a special treat that isn’t all that bad to serve my toddler on her birthday – I prefer the graham cracker crust and fruit to cake myself!

10 Gabriel July 2, 2012 at 11:40 am

Except now you’ve added half a cup of OIL to a perfectly healthy recipe.

11 LS July 2, 2012 at 11:22 am

I have a package of vegan “unflavored jel dessert” from Natural Desserts – do you think I could use this in place of the agar?

12 Susan Voisin July 2, 2012 at 11:27 am

It might work, but I think you’d be safer if you followed the package directions and added the fruit to it.

13 kimia August 6, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I have guests in 2 days and want to make this dessert but strawberries would be too expensive can you recamend something eals?

14 Susan Voisin August 6, 2012 at 5:35 pm

You can use almost any fruit you want. How about watermelon? Just be sure to drain it well after cutting so that it doesn’t make it too wet.

15 kimia August 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm

hi thanks for your help
will the watermelon hold ?

16 Alyssa R August 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Hi Susan, Do you know how long it takes to set? I’ve had mine in the fridge for four hours and it is still liquid-y. Wondering if maybe I didn’t make the agar-apple juice jel right?

17 Susan Voisin August 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I’m sorry to tell you but if it hasn’t set by now, it isn’t going to. Agar will start to set while it’s still hot and should be completely set within an hour or two. I wonder if your agar powder wasn’t as strong as mine. I can’t think of any thing you could do wrong, so it’s probably the agar itself. :(

18 Myrt Fredrickson May 23, 2013 at 12:36 am

What is agave????

19 Katie June 19, 2014 at 8:20 am

I followed your receip to the T but used a combination of store bought mango, papaya juice. It came out good, I won’t say great because it didn’t gel very firmly, it was still loose and when I cut it, everything kinda fell apart. Should I be using the same juice your recipe calls for, or increase the amount of agar for a firmer texture? Please advise.
Thanks.

20 Susan Voisin June 19, 2014 at 8:45 am

The enzymes in raw pineapple, fresh figs, papaya, mango and peaches decrease agar’s. gel-ability, so I’m afraid your choice of juice caused the problem. I would change juices because even with increased agar, it might not hold it’s shape for cutting.

21 Katie June 19, 2014 at 8:54 am

Can this be made using soy milk?

22 Susan Voisin June 19, 2014 at 9:32 am

I don’t see why not.

23 Vicky July 2, 2014 at 5:42 am

Fabulous recipe Susan, pinned for later (I think I will share on my Gluten Free Afternoon Tea FB Page too!)