Basil and Bulgar Salad (aka Pesto Tabouli)

by on September 8, 2006

You know I love all things pesto. So you would probably think that I’ve tried pesto in just about every combination possible. After all, I’ve used Asparagus in pesto and topped Roasted Vegetables with pesto, and I’ve even gone so far as to stuff portabella mushrooms with Pesto Mashed Potatoes. But in all my playing with pesto, I never thought to combine it with bulgur wheat until now.

I was making hummus for dinner one night recently, and I would have liked to serve it with tabouli. I had the bulgur but no parsley. I thought of my garden and its one parsley plant that had already bolted, and then my thoughts jumped to the 6 or more basil plants that are still thriving. That’s when the idea hit me. It wouldn’t really be tabouli without parsley, but anything with basil and garlic was bound to be good.

And it was more than good: It was the stuff cravings are made of. Every little grain of bulgur seemed saturated with basily pesto goodness, and it went surprisingly well with hummus. I think I could eat this stuff every day and not get tired of it.

Bulgar Pesto Salad, AKA Pesto Tabouli

1 Kay June 15, 2010 at 6:52 pm

HOLY MOLY, this is the best ever!

2 Tove July 17, 2010 at 5:21 am

Thanks for a great recipe! I have been changing it slightly, adding boiled zucchini and fried slices of eggplant instead of tomato and cucumber – simply because my vegetable garden is overflowing with these vegetables at the moment!

3 anthony August 13, 2010 at 8:53 pm

That truly looks amazing. I will have to give it a try.

4 MIA September 23, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I’m a sucker for all things basil, so I knew I would like this! I did make a couple changes.. I can’t help it! :)

I had about 2 tablespoons of pre-made pesto and a half cup of fresh basil leaves in the fridge I wanted to use up, but my food processor died on me (I think my mom bought it when she was my age!) so I couldn’t make more pesto. I mixed in the pesto I had and did the rest as a deconstructed pesto, adding chopped basil, garlic, toasted walnuts & parmesan & just mixing in with a little spray of evoo. It’s delicious and perfect for taking to work, where we don’t have microwaves.

I had extra bulgar, as I used the last of a bag, so I added it to the half pot of Stormy Black Bean soup I had.. Perfect!!

5 Werner June 24, 2012 at 6:55 pm

This salad is fantastic, stumbled across it while browsing for recipes. I used basil from my garden – pesto and bulgur, a GREAT combination. Thank you for everything you do, this is my favorite site!

6 Rachel July 2, 2013 at 4:10 pm

This was so good!! Even my four year old can’t get enough of it!! Thank you! Yum! :-)