Whew! I can’t believe I’m actually online, able to update this blog. It rained all day yesterday and most of last night, the first real rain we’ve had in months. I was ecstatic to see it…right up until the time the weather knocked out my internet connection. It went out around 8:00 last night, and it’s still out. I’m only able to connect now thanks to someone else’s wireless internet and my husband’s laptop. The cable guy is supposed to come tomorrow morning, so somehow I’ll have to get along until then.
Anyway, with the rainy weather, my thoughts turned of course to soup, and this slightly spicy black bean soup really hit the spot. I normally add a little corn right at the end of cooking, but since I was serving this with corn bread, I skipped the corn. And I just had to make corn bread in order to use the cute cactus-shaped, cast iron cornbread pan I got at a yard sale last week (brand new for $3!)
Stormy Black Bean Soup
Vary the amount of spices in this to suit your taste. I used the minimum amounts given, which put this right at the outer edge of my daughter’s spice tolerance.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (or 3 cups) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tsp. chile powder
- generous grating of black pepper
- 1-2 tsp. minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (optional)
- lime wedges
- In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic, and bell pepper until the onions soften, about 3 minutes. Add the beans, seasonings, and tomatoes, and stir to combine. Add 3 cups vegetable broth or water. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, for about 1 hour, adding additional water or vegetable broth as needed to keep a soupy consistency. Just before serving, add the corn, if you like, and heat through. Serve in bowls with lime wedges. Makes 4-6 servings.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s) | Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Nutrition (per serving, with corn): 222 calories, 9 calories from fat, 1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 631.2mg sodium, 567.8mg potassium, 42.5g carbohydrates, 12.8g fiber, 6.3g sugar, 12.5g protein, 6.4 points.