Stormy Black Bean Soup

by on October 17, 2006

Whew! I can’t believe I’m actually online, able to update this blog. It rained all day yesterday and most of last night, the first real rain we’ve had in months. I was ecstatic to see it…right up until the time the weather knocked out my internet connection. It went out around 8:00 last night, and it’s still out. I’m only able to connect now thanks to someone else’s wireless internet and my husband’s laptop. The cable guy is supposed to come tomorrow morning, so somehow I’ll have to get along until then.

Anyway, with the rainy weather, my thoughts turned of course to soup, and this slightly spicy black bean soup really hit the spot. I normally add a little corn right at the end of cooking, but since I was serving this with corn bread, I skipped the corn. And I just had to make corn bread in order to use the cute cactus-shaped, cast iron cornbread pan I got at a yard sale last week (brand new for $3!)

Stormy Black Bean Soup with Cornbread Cacti

1 Mers October 13, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I just found this recipe in my search for cold weather dishes. Thanks!

2 Tuesday December 6, 2009 at 5:14 pm

Mmm! I just made this. Super tasty. Perfect for chilly weather.

3 Mr. & Mrs. January 22, 2010 at 1:04 pm

So I am not a vegan at all….but we are looking to make our lifes healthier here and there. Since we have had this soup, we have tried a number of meals and we love them. I am from the south, where you do not pass on the meats…but if I had this in front of me I would. Its great! Have a good day.

4 Lee Khatchadourian-Reese January 24, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I just made this. Modified slightly based on what I had in the house- used crushed tomatoes instead of diced and did use a little tiny bit of olive oil to saute the onion, pepper and garlic. It is EXCELLENT!! This ones a keeper, even my meat and potatoes husband loved it!

Keep the good stuff coming!!

5 livingslowly January 31, 2010 at 4:27 pm

This is sooo good! I am making pot number two for this week. Can't wait.

6 Stacy February 1, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I made this soup tonight. It sounded perfect because it was raining all day. This soup is awesome. I can't get enough of it. I didn't have canned diced tomatoes so I just diced some up myself (5 to be percise). My husband usually adds salt to everything that I make and this time he didn't. This soup is going to be a household staple.

7 Craig February 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Susan, how do I adjust this to do in a pressure cooker? Or is it best not to?
Love your blog,
Thanks :)

8 SusanV February 2, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Craig, this is untested, but it's what I would do: Soak 1 1/2 cups of dried black beans over night. Saute the onion, etc., in your pressure cooker. Add the drained beans, water, seasonings, and tomatoes. Cover, bring to high pressure, and cook for 1o minutes. Remove from heat, let pressure come down naturally, and proceed with the rest of the recipe.

Let me know your results!

9 Craig February 3, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Susan. I'll let you know how I go :)
I'm addicted to my pressure cooker :)

10 Just Me Again February 14, 2010 at 3:39 pm

This recipe looks delicious and I love that is it low carbs too.
Can the black beans be substituted with Kidney beans? or other types of beans?

Thanks
Annie

11 Jenna February 22, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I made this recipe today and it is awesome =). I had never used chipotle chiles in adobo before, but I'm so glad to have discovered them via your recipe(s)! My spicy-food loving husband and I are eternally grateful. Thank you so much for all of your great recipes.

12 HeidiTFM February 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I was really in the mood for black bean soup, so of course, this blog was the first place I turned for a recipe. While this was good–and I actually followed it pretty closely, only omitting the corn because I'm watching carbs–it seemed to be missing something. Salt maybe? Not sure. Perhaps it needs to sit overnight for the flavors to mature. Good basic soup, but I'll need to see tomorrow if it's a make again recipe.

13 Lisa May 25, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Who cares about the soup! Love those cactus corn muffins! Nothing like a yard sale bargain!

14 JOHN D BURTON May 25, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Great minds: here’s what i did for lunch – Black Bean & Baby Bella Chili. It was 11:30 – no bread, no lettuce – needed something to serve at noon; inventory pantry and frig and, voila, black beans and Baby Bella chili.

2 cups (1 can) black beans
10 oz. can tomatoes & green chilies (aka Rotel)
4 Baby Bella (crimini) mushrooms, sliced
1/4 medium purple onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 med bell pepper, coarsely chopped
…1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
2-3 Tbs chili powder

Dump all in small pot, bring to boil and slowly simmer until time to serve or peppers are tender but not mushy. The mushroom slices held up well.

15 annasrobbie March 11, 2011 at 10:42 am

Made this last night and loved it – the chipotle chili gave it such a smokey flavor!

16 Marian Hamilton October 14, 2011 at 10:50 am

I’ll be using canned tomatoes w/NO SALT added, as well as NO SALT added black beans – so I’m sure the sodium count will be MUCH LESS for my version. :) I try to be a salt-free as well as fatfree vegan, so it’s a tad tougher for me, but still not impossible! Thanks for adding the nutritional info, Suasn! xxooxx

17 Wendy October 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Susan – how would I adapt this for a pressure cooker.. Thanks, wendy

18 SusanV October 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm

After sauteing the onions, etc., cover, bring to high pressure, cook for 6 minutes. Allow pressure to come down naturally or quick-release after 10 minutes. Oh, you should try it with about 1 cup less water and add more after it’s cooked if necessary.

19 Lynne October 14, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I love black bean soup. We camp a lot and our first night camping Black Bean Soup is a tradition. I have this cool easy recipe as after driving all day, cooking isn’t on my agenda. I take 2 cans of black beans, one can of veggie broth, and a half small jar of salsa. Heat it up and serve with baked tortilla stips and a chopped green onion or sweet onion to float on top. I really like your cornbread idea better though

20 Carol October 14, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I saw this recipe a few hours ago and made it tonight. It was delicious and totally exceeded my expectations. Definitely a keeper, thank you!

21 Namontack February 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Make this soup, but instead of bellpepper, replace it with cactus :)

22 Andrew March 25, 2014 at 9:11 am

Looks terrific! How would I need to adjust it for a slow cooker? Thanks!