Pumpkin and Roasted Corn Soup

by on November 1, 2006

Here in Mississippi, you never know what the weather is going to be like on Halloween. Plan on having a hot bowl of soup for dinner and you’ll be disappointed when the temperature climbs into the 80′s. Last night was like that. Although it was a lovely night and the kids were very comfortable in their light weight, short sleeved costumes, we adults, trudging along behind them from house to house, were decidedly warm.

All devils say Trowf auf Delectat!But it was a good time. Our tradition is to trick or treat with our neighbors, who have three kids, one of whom is taking 7th grade Latin. She suggested that instead of shouting “Trick or Treat” at each house they chant the Latin translation. Now, I have no idea what the real translation for “trick or treat” is, but what they shouted came out sounding like “Trowf auf Delectat.” So this group of kids dressed as devils, vampires, and witches proceeded to go up to houses chanting “Trowf auf Delectat” without explaining the meaning to the people at the doors. The stunned homeowners probably thought they were the children of some cult, chanting praises to Satan. At least, we parents amused ourselves with that thought, and pretty soon we were chanting “Trowf auf Delectat” too. Big fun.

We came home to a pot of nice, hot soup–but first we had to turn on the air conditioning! I made up for the heat of the soup by pairing it with a crisp, green salad, and it turned out to be a delicious meal. The soup is a little hard to describe: creamy and rich-tasting, it has a very light curry flavor but picks up some spiciness from the chipotle chili pepper. It wasn’t so spicy that E. couldn’t eat it, though she did drink a couple of glasses of water with dinner.

I have to confess that I made this with the last of my hubbard squash, but I’m just going to be stubborn and call it pumpkin soup. You can use any type of winter squash you like; since it’s not a sweet soup, the sweetness of the squash doesn’t make a difference.

Pumpkin and Roasted Corn Soup

That hubbard squash got quite a workout, by the way. I used it in Impossible Vegan Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Pie Wontons (similar to these), and Cambodian Vegetarian Stew. Just a few large winter squash really could get a family through the winter!

1 Anonymous November 1, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Wow! This soup is amazing. I bought a small pumpkin just for this and it was my first time using fresh…

Definitely worth it! I didn't use the corn, but the pumpkin soup was perfect (and fitting) for today. I loved the amount of heat, but I think next time I'll use half the amount of chipotle, since my family has tender tastebuds. :) Thanks for another great recipe, SusanV!

2 Anonymous March 27, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I just found this recipe while trying to find something to do with a can of pumpkin (yes, I cheated). Lucky me, I had all ingredients on hand. Yummy stuff!

I'm enjoying it, although I may have added a bit too much of the adobe chipotle pepper (I used only one, but WHOOO!). I like the complex flavors you get with each spoonful – garlic, ginger, pepper. Pumpkin and the canned chipotles are always on hand in my house and I thank you for sharing this recipe!

3 April October 27, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Did you use just one can of pumpkin? I was thinking of cheating as well!

4 charlotte September 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Wow the soup was amazing
i liked it so much that i did it again only this time with zucchini and it came out just as great!!!!!!!! Only thing is that you need less water or broth or it comes out too liquidy…..
thanks

5 Evie October 31, 2010 at 9:13 pm

This recipe is AMAZING! I just made it with butternut squash and added cilantro as an extra garnish. YUM!!

6 s.g. December 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Thanks for the idea, susan v. As someone who loves to eat spicy, I wasnt worried about the chipotle pepper- but boy was it hot! I added brown sugar to cut it and it worked really well. I didnt think the pumkin was coming through the way i wanted so i added nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and allspice- and the soup was perfect. It started off with a traditional pumpkin taste and by the end of the bite, the heat and curry. Didnt need to add corn after that.

7 kelly February 25, 2011 at 11:18 am

Hi,
Love your recipes! I love soup and have tried several recipes on your site. I’m not a vegan, but I cook like one :-)
with regards to your Pumpkin and Roasted Corn Soup, Can I use canned pumpkin?
If so, how much?

Thanks!
Kelly

8 SusanV February 25, 2011 at 11:22 am

Thanks, Kelly! I haven’t tried this recipe with canned pumpkin, but I would probably start with one can and add more as needed to get the consistency right. It may take two cans, but see if you can get away with less.

9 Pat B November 10, 2011 at 9:27 am

I am allergic to soy. What would you suggest using to replace soy milk in this recipe. It sounds great and I would like to try it.

10 Susan Voisin November 10, 2011 at 9:43 am

You can use any kind of unsweetened milk. Rice, coconut, or almond milk would all be good, though I would favor the almond milk.

11 Jenn H October 20, 2012 at 6:26 pm

This was a great recipe! We wound up tweaking it today since we had a butternut squash and leftover carrots, celery, and green pepper that we added and instead of fresh ginger and chipotle, we used ground ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper at the end. Both ways were delicious! I love how it’s so simple, but it can be tweaked so many ways!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! We’ll be freezing our leftovers for enjoyment through the upcoming cold months!

12 Cheryl November 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Yummy! I had about a quart of leftover butternut squash. It worked out great.Thanks!

13 shannon October 28, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Tried this recipe and it was the bomb.com! Love it!!! thanks so much for posting, this will be on my meal plan monthly rotation!