Purple Pesto Soup

by on November 3, 2006

When I went out to walk the dog this morning, I noticed that our basil plants were not too happy about our overnight cold snap. The purple opal ones were particularly droopy, and since the weather’s only going to get colder, I knew I needed to use them soon. I’d already frozen as much basil as my fridge could hold back in the summer, so I started thinking of warm, winter dishes that I could use a whole bunch of basil in. I’d made a wonderful Provençal Bean and Vegetable Soup with Pesto back in April, but I was hoping to make something a lot simpler than that, something I could whip up quickly for lunch. Something creamy.

And this potentially addictive soup is what I came up with. It’s warm and creamy but somehow tastes like summer. And it’s purple! Who could ask for more on a chilly day in November?

Purple Pesto Soup

Current day month ye@r *

1 Amy-lee July 16, 2010 at 6:09 am

Delicious! The cauliflower taste really comes through. I used green basil but it still turned out kinda purple. Not that I’m complaining. :)

2 Virginia January 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I love your blog, Susan! It has been inspirational to me for years. When you mentioned freezing basil, did you mean the actual leaves?? or chopped, or as pesto…? Just curious. thanks!

3 Susan Voisin January 14, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I chop it in the blender with a little water and freeze it in ice cube trays.

4 Kary November 1, 2013 at 9:02 am

I enjoy many of your recipes. Thank you for making eating healthy taste so good!

Can something other than cauliflower be used? What would you recommend?

5 Susan Voisin November 1, 2013 at 9:05 am

You could use cooked potatoes, or you could make it a very green soup by using broccoli.

6 moonwatcher November 1, 2013 at 11:58 am

What a beautiful soup!! And it sounds very tasty. I love the purple basil and the tones it gives the blended soup. So sad to see the last of Summer’s treasures go, but oh, what a way to go!! The basil’s long gone here up north, but I can enjoy it vicariously through your beautiful photo. Thanks!!

xoxo

7 Karen Westq November 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I tried this today, and love it. It reminds me very much of potato soup, especially garnished with chopped green onion and fake “bacon” bits. Delish and very low cal (I left out the cashew butter).