Southwestern Chayote Casserole

by on November 7, 2006

I’d been planning for days to make a vegan version of one of the mirliton casserole recipes on the internet. I’d even cooked the mirliton in advance so that the casserole would be that much quicker to make. But then lack of celery spoiled the whole plan.

Mirliton? Celery? Wondering what the heck I’m talking about?

Chayote/Mirliton

Mirliton by FotoosVanRobin on Flickr

Mirliton=Chayote=Chouchou=a squash-like vegetable with many names. In Louisiana we call them mirlitons (pronounced mee-li-tawns, in parts of the state) and eat them stuffed and in casseroles. I’ve written about them a few times before, with Mirliton and White Bean Stew being one of my favorite recipes on this blog. Many U.S. supermarkets now sell them as chayotes, so before you write them off as some exotic ingredient that you won’t be able to get, look for the light-green, pear-shaped vegetables near the ginger root and bean sprouts in your local grocery store.

Now, about that casserole. As you know celery is part of the “trinity” of ingredients that’s considered essential in most of Louisiana cooking. When I realized I didn’t have any, I just couldn’t bring myself to make a mirliton casserole without it. After all, I was already planning to leave out the seafood, ham, butter, bread crumbs, and cornflakes of the traditional version; without celery, I just didn’t think it’d be a Louisiana recipe at all! So I made a sudden turn and decided to go a little more southwest with the recipe: instead of seafood—beans; instead of bread crumbs and cornflakes—cornbread. The results were completely different from the mirliton casserole I had envisioned, but very, very good.

1 MIA October 6, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I can’t believe I am the first to comment on this! I think I might be incapable of directly following a recipe, so I used corn instead of TVP, as I had it in the house. I also upped the chipotle to a level Susan’s daughter would probably never let her :) It turned out great, my carnivore boyfriend loved it, especially the cornmeal crust! When I first mixed it up I was worried it had too much liquid, but I had to let it sit about 15 min while the filling finished cooking & the oven heated up, and it crisped up perfectly. I highly recommend trying this one!

2 SusanV October 6, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Thanks so much for posting your feedback! Almost all of the comments on my older posts were lost when I changed my blogging platform a few months ago, so no one knows which recipes have been tried and recommended. I’m so glad you liked the recipe, and I really appreciate your taking the time to comment.

3 Leah December 27, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Yum! I’ve never had chayote but I was inspired at the market and bought 2 large ones. I made this and loved it. The only big change I made was that I made the topping more of a polenta (by adding more water and simmering before topping b/c it reminds me of Amy’s Tamale Pie, which I love).

4 Leata March 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I really liked this. My family doesn’t like spicy hot, so I used about a quarter of the chili powder and half of the paprika and no chipotle (mostly because I couldn’t find it). I used a red bell pepper, a dark green pasilla pepper instead of jalapeño pepper, frozen corn instead of TVP (but I did use the broth), and I doubled the garlic. The result was rather festively colorful as well as tasty.

5 Godtold March 24, 2011 at 2:58 am

realy like that. Thanks for give me inspire how to make chayote more delicious.

6 Toni September 26, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I must have overdid it because I used 3 chayote but they were on the large size. So I had to use 2 casserole dishes. Also the cornmeal mixture seemed to be too watery since I couldn’t spoon it so I ended up making a double batch of the corn topping and used 2 1/2 cups of corn meal and 2 cups water. So my questions Susan, should the cornmeal mixture be on the thick side AND when you saute the onions/peppers, did you use any oil? TASTES GREAT THOUGH.

7 Carrie April 10, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Used spaghetti squash instead of chayote because that’s what I had on hand and it was fab! Thanks!

8 rigo April 19, 2014 at 5:44 pm

oh chayotes, are absolutely wonderful. In Mexico where I live , we have had them for food for thousands of years, just like corn, beans, squash and tacos, and its actually sold boiled in corner stands. Its amazing that somebody named them Mirlitons, wonder how they came to choose this word. Oh, and the chayote seed once its cooked its the most tasty thing in the world, actually people fight over it, we call it “pepita de chayote”. Chayote gets its name from the nahuatl (ancient mexican) language Chayotl. Best regards.

{ 1 trackback }