Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage, Roasted Potatoes, and Soda Bread

by on March 20, 2007

Instead of St. Patrick’s Day, this year we celebrated St. Patrick’s Weekend. After being out all day Saturday, I didn’t feel up to preparing a big meal, so we waited to have our “official” holiday meal on Sunday night, when I had the time and energy to make it special. And this really was special!

My main dish, Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage, was such a huge hit that I plan to make it regularly from now on. I’m not usually a fan of processed fake meats–they’re only slightly more healthy in my opinion than their meaty counterparts–so I tend to use them sparingly. But once in a while a packaged product like Lightlife Steak-Style Smart Strips can come in handy, and they turned out to be very good in this recipe. But then again, any meat substitute would taste great cooked with fresh vegetables and covered in a savory gravy. This is really comfort food of the highest order!

Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage

Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage
(click for printer-friendly version)

This dish is not only delicious, but it’s remarkably low in fat and calories. Don’t wait for a special occasion to serve it!

2 medium onions, cut into wedges
1/2 head cabbage, finely chopped or shredded (I used red cabbage this time)
4 carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths and quartered
2 ribs celery, thickly sliced
4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon mild horseradish
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
6-8 ounces vegetarian “beef” or seitan or reconstituted TVP chunks (I used Lightlife Strips)
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon red wine or cooking sherry (really adds great flavor)

Sauté the onion in a large, non-stick pot until it starts to brown. Add the remaining vegetables, the broth, and the seasonings. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Add the “beef,” cover, and cook for 15 more minutes, until vegetables are soft.

Use a slotted spoon to remove the vegetables and “beef” to a serving plate and keep warm. Return the broth to the heat. In a small cup, combine the flour, water, and wine. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the simmering broth. Cook and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan, until the broth has thickened, about 10 minutes. Pour the gravy over the “beef” and vegetables to serve.

Makes 4 servings. Each serving, using the Lightlife strips, contains 117 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (3% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 336mg Sodium; 7g Fiber.

I served this with Roasted Red Potatoes with Dill (instructions below) and Horseradish Sauce. To make horseradish sauce, simply mix prepared horseradish with your favorite vegan mayo to taste until you reach the right spiciness level. (Vegan horseradish can be hard to find; always read ingredients to make sure there are no eggs or dairy products. Better still, prepare your own.)

Vegan Corned Beef and Cabbage

Roasted Red Potatoes with Dill

Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut small red potatoes in half, larger red potatoes into quarters (all should be about the same size). Allow about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of potatoes for 4 servings. Place in a non-metal baking dish and spray lightly with canola oil (optional). Bake until potatoes are lightly browned and tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt and dill weed, to taste.

Vegan Irish Soda Bread

I also wanted to show you the Irish Soda Bread I made and which E. decided to shape like a shamrock. I was all set to put it in the oven as a very rustic sort of circle, but E. jumped in and made it much cuter. It’s a very basic bread, not much to write about, but I include the recipe here in case you ever need a simple, vegan quick bread. We made it the traditional way, without any enhancements, but you can add herbs or raisins or any other flavorings to make it fancier.

Vegan Irish Soda Bread
(adapted from this recipe)

2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain soy yogurt

Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix the dry ingredients together. Add the yogurt and use your hands to mix it in well. (Add more flour if the dough is sticky, more yogurt if it’s too dry.) Shape into a ball and put on cookie sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.

Current day month ye@r *

1 SamanthaPayntr March 14, 2010 at 10:14 pm

the gravy was WAY too yummy, i had to control my urges to dunk my soda bread in it so i could have some for the leftovers!

I think next time i'm going to add some corned beef pickling spices to give it that authentic flavor.

2 SamanthaPayntr March 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm

fan of yours on facebook #2

3 veganola March 17, 2010 at 8:07 am

I tried this recipe last night. I won't be making it again, until I can find steak strips. Morningstar Farms used to make them, but stopped. My local stores don't carry that particular Lightlife. It just wasn't good with the TVP chunks. Also, here's a tip: don't use your food processor to chop the cabbage. It's too fine. Better off doing it with a knife.

4 Scott B March 17, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I make my Corned Beef here with this recipe: http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php?page=recipe&recipe=98

and then use that instead of Lightlife Strips or tvp. Seems to me last year it made enough corned "beef" for both Susan's Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe PLUS a few sandwiches. Making it again today-will find out for sure.

5 Anonymous March 17, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Thanks for this recipe – it was fantastic! We will definitely make this on a regular basis :).

6 Kaitlin March 20, 2010 at 11:58 am

Thanks so much for the recipe. We had a belated St. Patty's day brunch this morning – corned beef hash was my husband's favorite before he went vegetarian, so I adapted this recipe. I just cut up some potatoes and cooked them in the broth instead of the other veggies, then added the "beef" strips as written. After removing the potatoes and beef, I diced the mixture and sauteed it in some olive oil. Delicious! I never had corned beef hash in my pre-veggie days, but my husband said the flavor was excellent!

I didn't make the gravy, but that would probably be good over the corned beef hash as well.

7 Becca April 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Thank you so much! I've been looking for a recipe. I'm a vegetarian and I still want the traditions for my kids. Finally!!! Thank you so much!

8 Basil October 10, 2010 at 6:28 am

This was just the thing to make on a cold night. I kind of turned this into a stew, and it turned out marvelous. It was so good- love the cabbage, love the beef, love the dish! Thanks for coming out with all these great and easy ideas.

9 Nikki February 13, 2011 at 6:17 pm

This looks great! I noticed that using oil for the roasted potatoes was optional. Does this mean that French fries or sweet potato fries could be made by not using oil without them being too dry? Thank you!

10 SusanV February 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I often make them on a silicon baking mat or parchment paper without any oil. Truthfully, they do a little better with a spray of oil, but they don’t dry out unless you overcook them.

11 ChefXander March 17, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Just wanted to add a side note that anything with alcohol is not truly vegan. Yeasts, which are microscopic organisms, are primary in making any alcohol. This dish would be completely vegan with the omission of the red wine (including the red wine vinegar) and sherry. Happy eating!

12 SusanV March 17, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Yeasts are not animals–they are fungi. Some red wines are not vegan because of the way they are clarified (using eggs or fish bladders) but that has nothing to do with yeast. Vegans don’t avoid yeast.

13 Alexandra February 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Made the soda bread and used almond milk w a tsp of vinegar , instead of the yogurt; also added raisins and caraway seeds. Very nice. Will be making again.

14 Erin March 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I love this recipe and have made it the past couple of years for St. Patrick’s Day. Have you ever tried cooking this (with the potatoes) in a crock pot? I might try it on low for the day, then add the meat substitute later.

15 GetSkinnyGoVegan March 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

thanks!

16 Constance May 16, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Would you happen to have nutritional info for the bread? I’ve been making it, just plain, but as a carb addict am trying to watch just how many bread calories I’m taking in. If you do or can suggest to me how to calculate I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

17 Susan Voisin May 16, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Here’s the nutrition info for one whole loaf. You’ll need to divide this by the number of slices you cut it into:

Nutrition (per loaf): 996 calories, 78 calories from fat, 9g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 2493.3mg sodium, 1372.4mg potassium, 201.6g carbohydrates, 36.3g fiber, 14.4g sugar, 40.9g protein, 29 points.

18 Constance May 17, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Thank you sooo much!

19 Anonymous October 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm

This person is stealing your content and as well as your images.