Gazpacho with Roasted Tomatoes and Peppers

by on August 27, 2007

Gazpacho with Roasted Tomatoes and Peppers
It’s been a strange summer, as far as my tomato garden is concerned. On the one hand, our heirloom and yellow tomatoes haven’t fared well, not because they didn’t grow but because the villains from last year were back again this summer. Yes, the birds (and I don’t mean the ones that menaced Tippi Hedren!) They’ve managed to eat almost every “Mr. Stripey” heirloom tomato before it can even ripen. Most of our tomatoes have been small, but there was one huge one, as big as my two cupped hands, that we were eagerly waiting to ripen, but just when some color appeared on it, I walked out into the garden to find it like this:

Bird-eaten Tomato

Ugh! I understand that the birds are hungry and thirsty because of the heat and drought, but couldn’t they have let me have this one freaking tomato?!

On the other hand, the birds haven’t been able to diminish our supply of cherry and grape tomatoes, at least not so we know it. These little tomatoes came in early and heavy and just haven’t stopped, despite the last couple of weeks of high temperatures often in the 100′s. Just when I figured they were finished, they grew off their stakes and into the driveway and proceeded to set new fruit, so that now we have to carefully drive around them. Since there are still some tomatoes yet to be harvested from them, I haven’t planted my fall crop yet (which is probably a good thing, considering the current heatwave).

Soon, though, even the prolific little tomatoes will be finished and I’ll be back to buying them at the farmers’ market or (when in dire need) the grocery store. So I thought I’d better act fast and make the one summer tomato dish I usually make but haven’t this year: Gazpacho. Since I’ve fallen in love with the taste of roasted baby tomatoes this summer, I thought I’d give my old gazpacho recipe a twist and roast the tomatoes and peppers this time. The result was a deeper, richer flavor–with the added bonus of lycopene. Yes, cooking tomatoes actually increases the amount of cancer-fighting lycopene, an antioxidant that has also been linked to reduced risk of heart disease. So, if you’re not averse to turning on your oven in August, give this healthy twist on traditional gazpacho a try.

Gazpacho with Roastef Tomatoes

1 ~M May 5, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Is there another vinegar I could sub for the red wine vinegar? How about rice vinegar?

2 SusanV May 5, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Sure, feel free to use your favorite vinegar.

3 Rook May 6, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I’m not a vegan. I hardly live fat free.
I like food. Good home made food of all sorts.

Lady… I have to tell you, I completely am in love with your recipes. And its great, because summer is coming, and there are so many veggies readily available here in north west PA. I’ve been looking for some vegetarian recipes to help me get away from all that heavy winter food that we seem to resort to eating out here in the mountains =P

This looks absolutely delicious!

4 Peter May 12, 2010 at 8:16 pm

This is a fantastic recipe! One question: does it freeze OK?

5 SusanV May 12, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I’ve never frozen it, but you should be able to. The bell pepper and cucumber might have a weird texture, though.

6 Shelbey K July 12, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Thank you for creating such an amazing site. I love all your recipes!!!! You have such great ideas and tips. I love food and I am a health fanatic. Tonight I made your Gazpacho Soup fresh from our garden. It was fabulous. Do you know if I can “can” this soup? I am canning my veggies, salsa and tomato sauce. I’d love to can this soup to have it made fresh all year around!

Keep posting your amazing recipes!

Shelbey

7 Bonnie in Harlem June 1, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I was never a big fan of cold soups but had some gazpacho at a restaurant last summer that changed my mind. As the temperature has been steadily climbing, I decided to try my hand at making some. This site is the first one I visited to find a recipe. Susan, I have to tell you that your site is my go-to. I’ve made countless meals from recipes I’ve found here and have been very pleased. This gazpacho was no exception. I only wish I had thought to double the recipe because after turning my kitchen into a sauna, I should have had more to show for it. It was delicious, though, and I will surely be making it again. Thanks, Susan!

8 Kim July 23, 2011 at 10:15 am

I hear ya on the Mr. Stripeys!!!! I had ONE last year and one of the neighbors stole it.. :(
I found your site looking for gazpacho ideas. I have never had it and just made some for a small catered party. There are so many versions it is confusing on which one my client wanted. Mine looks just about the same as yours… :)
Nice blog by the way and i am NOT vegan….

9 Irene Humel August 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This was the most wonderful cold soup recipe, I loved it! The problem is I should of made a double batch because I ate it all before supper and I now have nothing for the family!

10 Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! August 24, 2012 at 1:36 am

The past few years I seem to have had problems with growing (and KEEPING) tomatoes in my garden. I’m hoping that this year is different! I have a few heirloom plants that have lil’ green ones growing. Fingers crossed that they survive the animals! ha ha

Also, I love that you roasted the tomatoes for this gazpacho, I can’t wait to try this out!

{ 1 trackback }