Roasted Cauliflower Soup

by on February 6, 2008

It’s not the prettiest soup in the world, but this cauliflower soup was a surprise hit with my family.

Recently I wrote that most of the soups I make are one-pot meals. But after reading research that says people who begin a meal with a light vegetable soup consume fewer calories than those who don’t, I started thinking about making more starter course soups. I had a cauliflower in the fridge and a meal that needed more vegetables in it, so I whipped up this creamy-tasting soup.

Frankly, I can’t even remember what I served with this because the soup was the star of the meal. I had worried that E wouldn’t like something so simple and basic–roasted cauliflower allowed to shine on its own without lots of seasonings–but she devoured it. I’d also been concerned that the truffle oil, which gives the soup a rich, woodsy taste, might not be to her liking, but obviously I was wrong. From now on, Roasted Cauliflower Soup will be on the menu regularly.

Roasted Cauliflower Soup

No Croutons Required
Holler at Tinned Tomatoes and Lisa at Lisa’s Kitchen are hosting a monthly blogging event called No Croutons Required. This month’s theme is one that I can really get behind–vegetarian soup! I’m sending in this soup as my entry, which, now that I think about it, would taste great with croutons.

1 reimannfamilyfarm August 21, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Hello, one of my CSA members passed this recipe on to me to share with our other members (we have had a lot of cauliflower the last few weeks). I have posted your recipe on our farm's website. Please do contact me and let me know if this is not OK. Many thanks — and I am very happy to have found your site! Do you mind if I link to your site in general from our farm's website?
~Chris.

2 SusanV August 21, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Hi Chris, I generally prefer that people post the link to the recipe rather than the recipe itself, but since it's already posted, I'd appreciate it if you included a clickable link back to this post. (This avoids problems with Google thinking that one of us is plagiarizing the other!) And I'd be very happy for you to link to my site in general. Thank you, and enjoy the soup!

3 Anonymous August 30, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I made this last night — delicious! I love the idea of roasting the cauliflower with the onions, gave them a different taste from just sautéing them & without the oil!

4 Toni Lightwood September 4, 2009 at 8:39 am

Thanks so much for this soup, I made it last night and it was a big hit with the whole family! I used a large sweet potato (and a small white potato) because I had a white cauliflower (fresh from the Farmer's market) and I had my heart set on the soup to be light orange like in the photo :) I'll be sure to try more from your site!

5 CutistRawFoodist November 15, 2009 at 7:08 pm

wish I found this recipe first. my cauliflower soup sucked! I still have to eat it, tho.

6 gayle January 24, 2010 at 10:12 am

I made this yesterday and LOVED it… however, when I put it back into the pot to simmer for 10 minutes, it started jumping and spurting out of the pot… as high as my ceiling! Is there anything I can do to avoid hot soup flying at my face?

7 SusanV January 24, 2010 at 11:16 am

Gayle, turn it to the lowest setting and put a cover on it. I have the same problem when I heat spaghetti sauce.

8 LaLa March 7, 2010 at 1:39 am

A girlfriend of mine sent me a link to your blog. My stepfather who is dying of cancer pronounced that he could no longer chew over a week ago. He was eating smoothies only so I made this soup. He was so in love with this! So were my mom and I and it was just about the last food he ate. I will always make this and think of him. Thank you.

9 KJ June 6, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Made this soup tonight and it was a huge hit. It was very simple to make also. Thanks for your website. I plan on making several more of your inventions in the coming weeks.

10 Sue July 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Totally Yummy! Thanks!

11 terry September 8, 2010 at 3:26 pm

this soup is really good – i added a few extra ingredients (chopped carrots, celery and a little fennel) which added a little more flavor and nutrition…

12 CK September 29, 2010 at 7:37 pm

This was so good. I didn’t have truffle oil or paprika so I added a little curry powder and cumin. It is so creamy without any milk or cheese. I’m no vegan but I was really impressed. Thanks!

13 Miles October 6, 2010 at 10:15 pm

DELICIOUS!!!

14 Kristen October 16, 2010 at 4:31 am

I made this soup tonight, and it was delicious. I had cauliflower to use, and did a web search for a recipe. I’m so happy this came up. I had every ingredient on hand – even the truffle oil! I did add a few baby carrots, because I had them to use up, and I love carrots in soup. Delish! Thank you so much!

15 John December 4, 2010 at 8:40 am

Susan! I was AMAZED at how good this turned out. I made this with the intention of rationing it out throughout the week. Before i knew it, i had sat down and consumed the entire pot!

16 kathryn February 6, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Loving roasted veggies right now! So warm and filling! Thanks for a great recipe

17 Wanda Hosier March 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm

What is truffle oil and where do you find it? I have never heard of it! I would like to try this recipe.

18 Angie June 3, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I tried this recipe and my family (including a 4 year old) loved it. My husband even went back for seconds. There are a couple of things that I had to change in the recipe, however, because I have a habit of starting a recipe thinking I have all the ingredients, and then realize when I get to that one, I don’t have it. SO, because we live in a small community and we cannot get orange cauliflower, we used white. Also, I didn’t have a potatoe (one of the ingredients I thought I had), I used 3 carrots in place and it added color, as well as a little sweetness and turned out delicious. In the end, I added about 1/2 cup grated cheese and let that melt, which isn’t vegan, but was very tasty. Without the cheese though it was very tasty too! Needless to say, with the 3 of us eating this soup, I only had enough for a small container to take to work for lunch the next day…. :( We will be making this one again.

19 Marian October 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I just made this soup as an appetizer last night and it was amazing. Thank you! I posted it on my blog dinnersisters.com. I made dill salmon and parmesan brussel sprouts to go with it. Delighful meal. Thanks again :)

20 Esther J February 2, 2012 at 2:54 pm

This is a great recipe.

I didn’t have the truffle oil to embellish, so I sprinkled a little apple cider vinegar in to add a little tanginess. It worked very nicely for my tastes (Granted, I was raised having cabbage sprinkled with a homemade pepper sauce in a vinegar-y base, so it suited my childhood culinary comfort-food zone just fine).

21 Dianne February 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm

YUM! I happened across this early this morning while looking for another recipe. I
happened to have a head of cauliflower that I wanted to use so tried out the recipe. I changed my spices since I love curry and used curry powder, cumin and fresh ginger. Even my hubby (Mr. meat eater) loved it too. Thanks :)

22 Rita February 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’ve never ever roasted cauliflower. Never even thought of it. This is a definite for tomorrow, thanks!

23 Lester Sukenik April 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Susan,

Love your blog and web site. I’ve tried this recipe for roasted cauliflower soap and I’m hooked! I’m somewhat new to cooking and need help to keep me on course for my vegan lifestyle. I’ve changed this recipe by adding more potatoes before processing and then I added some diced potatoes (cooked) with some mushrooms and chopped spinach that I have prepared. Makes a nice smooth soup with some chunks and some green veggies for additional antioxidants. I also add some steamed broccoli.

Thanks for a great recipe! / Les

24 Sharon June 22, 2012 at 9:54 pm

This was really good. It has the texture of a thinned cream of wheat or cornmeal mush (both of which are comfort foods from my childhood). The smoked paprika and nutmeg added nice flavor. I’ll make this again for sure, and will pass along the recipe to others (with links to this site!) who are interested in my ‘Eat to Live” eating.

I didn’t have the truffle oil but would like to try that next time. I’ve never purchased it, so would like some advice — for those of you who have used it, do you prefer black or white truffle oil and what is the difference?

25 annabee June 27, 2012 at 1:41 am

Hi Susan, I think I found your site through a board on Pinterest, I am making a board called Vegan Cooking.
Of recent times, lots of cooking challenges in my family: 1 x vegan, 1x coeliac, also now with food intolerances.
I love that you have a Save Your Recipe feature. Thankyou for that.
I look forward to making more of your recipes, and adapting some of them for the coeliac/intolerant person (me!)
Kind regards
Ann

26 Alex October 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! It came out very smooth and creamy with a very good flavor. Everyone had seconds!

Next time I make this, I think I will use slightly less veggie broth to make it a bit thicker. I added some chipotle chili pepper and it worked very well!

27 ruthie October 8, 2012 at 8:16 am

made this yesterday………….yum! as always………….thanks!

28 Radhika Sarohia December 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Made a quick microwave/stovetop version of this today, was good but I added way too much nutmeg so gotta watch that next time haha

29 Brenda December 30, 2012 at 11:45 am

I made this in response to the cold front that just blew through New Orleans (brrr), and it really hit the spot! I happened to have a white cauliflower and sweet potatoes on hand, so that’s what I used. I didn’t have the truffle oil, but it still turned out delicious. The flavor is so complex for such a simple soup. Thanks for a great soup recipe!

30 Christine March 9, 2013 at 7:17 am

I bet this soup would be great with a yam and madras curry tossed in!

31 Joyce July 22, 2013 at 7:05 am

Thank you! I make a similar soup with the following variations: I chop up a yellow pepper and add it to the other vegetables, which I roast all together mixed with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. I also add turmeric to the broth for flavor and color. I never see orange cauliflower, but the above additions give white cauliflower soup a nice color.

32 Claudia November 4, 2013 at 5:58 pm

when you say 1 cauliflower.. what size was it more or less? You know, some are really big and others are tiny and can be around 500 grams. So it’s a bit hard for me to get an idea of the proportions between the various ingredients without this piece of information. (also, I need it for the caloric count)
let me know :)

33 Susan Voisin November 4, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I would say it was between medium and large. Not small and not gargantuan. Sorry not to be more specific–next time I will weigh it!

34 Janice November 4, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Have you tried it with a sweet potato? I don’t use “white”
anything and wondered if it changes the flavor much. Maybe even better, it would increase the fiber.

35 Susan Voisin November 4, 2013 at 6:52 pm

It would definitely add sweetness, which might be okay, though I’m not sure I would like the sweetness with the woodsy truffle flavor, so you might leave out the truffle oil.

36 pat December 22, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I have trouble with your website. Sometimes I can’t get it to go back when I click on the back button. I’ll be reading a recipe and see something else on that page that interests me and then when I want to go back to that page, it refuses to go back and worse still if I go to the main page and look for the recipe, like for example the beet and orange salad, if I go to the salad listing, that is not listed. I had to go outside the site and do a new google search to bring it up. This has happened a lot on this site. I guess it is hard to keep all the bugs out of a website.
I wandered onto your site today as I am about to embark on Joel Fuhrman’s eat to live so I needed some new recipes. I am thrilled with all the choices. I thought I’d just be eating raw lettuce with nothing on it for the rest of my life. Thanks so much for all your creativity and testing of recipes. I am particularly interested in the ones that your daughter likes as I’d bet she’s not so easy to please.

37 Asa February 13, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Lovely! Such a simple way to make the cauliflower sing. My soup was a little bit low on acidity at the end, so I added a hint of lemon juice.

38 MoJo February 14, 2014 at 10:19 am

I have to tell you that I recently made the Crown Roast Cauliflower. It could very well have been my elementary kitchen skills that botched it, but it was not very appealing to me or my family. Rather than have it go to waste, I modified this Roasted Cauliflower Soup recipe to use the cauliflower. To my surprise, it turned out better than I could have imagined! Not quite the same color, but the taste was divine. I love your site. Thanks for posting easy vegan recipes for those of us who are culinary challenged!