Ridiculously Easy Pineapple Sorbet

by on June 26, 2008

Please stop me if you’ve heard this one before: A can of pineapple walks into a freezer…. Sound familiar? If so, I apologize for wasting your time on an oldie but goodie. But, if you haven’t tried this ridiculously easy summer treat, you might want to stay tuned because it’s a delicious way to beat the summer’s heat. A can of pineapple, a freezer, and a food processor are all you need to make this light, refreshing, and naturally sugar-free dessert.

Ridiculously Easy Pineapple Sorbet

Ridiculously Easy Pineapple Sorbet

(printer-friendly version)

Ingredients

• 1 can (about 20 ounces) pineapple chunks packed in juice

Instructions

1. A few hours (or days) beforehand, open the can of pineapple and pour it, juice and all, into a freezer-safe container; a large, flat one works best. When it’s frozen hard, remove it from the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes. Use a table knife to break the block of pineapple into several large chunks; then put it into the food processor. (If your processor is small, you’ll have to do this in more than one batch.)
  2. Process the pineapple, stopping often to push the chunks under the blades, until it is a smooth, creamy consistency. This will take a few minutes, and you may have to be patient as the friction of the blades heats the pineapple slightly, allowing it to blend smoothly. Serve immediately. If you have leftovers, return them to the freezer and re-process briefly before serving later.

Variations

You can modify this recipe in dozens of ways. If you like your dessert sweeter, add a little of your favorite sweetener. If you like it creamier, try adding a couple of tablespoons of non-dairy milk or coconut milk (great flavor!) Or substitute half of the pineapple with frozen mangos, bananas, peaches, or berries. Get as creative as you want!

Preparation time: 5 minute(s) | Cooking time: 0 minute(s)

Number of servings (yield): 4

Nutritional Facts

Makes 4 servings. Each contains 85 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (1% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 1mg Sodium; 1g Fiber. Weight Watchers Core / 2 Flex Points.

Looking for other ways to cool off? Check out some of my other light and cool desserts:

1 Tashi August 29, 2009 at 3:16 am

I made it with fresh pineapple juice and pineapple pieces. It was awesome and a real crowd pleaser. It was like something that you would pay a lot of money for at a michelin star restaurant. Just soo good!

2 Christi from A Different Daisy/VeganGoods.com February 20, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I was really wanting to make something pineappley today. This couldn't be easier, thanks!

3 Elaine Richert June 25, 2010 at 10:51 am

Using the Vita-Mix blender makes this Pineapple Sorbet even MORE ridiculously quick and easy!

4 Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) June 25, 2010 at 11:33 am

This sounds like my kind of recipe! Healthy and wholesome in no time flat.

Thanks!

5 stephanie June 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm

great recipe! i like to make this with all kinds of fresh fruits and juices! It is the perfect healthy summer snack, and the thing i always reach for after riding my bike home in the scorching 115 degree heat of the valley of the sun!

My favorite is strawberries and bananas with orange juice. If, like me, you don’t have a very good blender, try giving the fruit a good rough chop, doll it out generously into an ice cube tray and pour your juice over. Freeze as normal, but the smaller pieces blend better in lower end equipment.

6 Radhika Sarohia August 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I must make this, thanks for the recipe
I bought a huge enormous box of pineapples recently and haven’t made anything with them yet

7 Rindala Wakim-BuSaba September 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Recipes are worth to try. Cannot wait. ….

8 Amy January 29, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I was looking for an easy pineapple recipe….Now I found it…Thanks,I am going to try

9 Kim Fuller February 16, 2013 at 7:49 am

This was SO good! My kids loved it too. I added a little bit of coconut milk to make it creamy. Definetely a must for summertime.

10 kvrose48 February 16, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Thank you , Thank you!
I fixed the Sausage, Mushroom Etouffee along with the Louisiana Red Beans and Rice for a Mardi Gras Party with long time friends. They were all meat eaters and I was so surprised at the the way my two dishes disappeared. I had several want the recipes and they admitted that the ‘sausage’ tasted like the real thing.
I truly loved both dishes. They may have been fat-free and Vegan- but they were full of rich Cajun flavors.
You have a fabulous website here.
I’m fixing them both again today- one week later!

11 Nikki June 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I bet these would be delicious in a freezer pop!

12 Lila June 22, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I do this with those overripe bananas too, with a bit of vanilla and some nuts thrown in as well.