Blueberry-Oat Bars

by on July 15, 2008

Blueberry-Oat BarsSometimes I really miss living in the country. When I was growing up, acquiring fresh blueberries was just a matter of walking outside and picking them from one of the bushes in our yard. Getting my blueberry fix these days takes a little more effort. For the past few summers, E and I have visited a local U-pick blueberry farm where we’d spend an hour or so in the sun and come home with a couple of gallons of blueberries, some to be eaten immediately and most to be frozen for later.

Well, this year “our” U-pick farm has gone out of business, and we haven’t succeeded in finding another. So we’ve had to make do with the next best thing: organically grown blueberries from the local natural foods store. When I saw them there a few days ago, I just had to pick up a pint; even though the cost was several times what I’d pay to pick my own, blueberries are such a part of summer to me that I couldn’t pass them up.

Besides, I really needed them to make these bars, which I’d been craving for a few weeks. You won’t believe how healthy they are: no refined flour, no white sugar, no added fat, no soy, and no gluten*. They’re not super-sweet, but they’re full of fresh fruity taste.

Blueberry-Oat Bars

Blueberry-Oat Bars

Current day month ye@r *

1 Gracie August 10, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Susan, I'm dying to make the blueberry bars recipe but I don't have a blender, and my food processor is broken. Could I use oat flour for the ground-up oats?

2 SusanV August 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Sure, Gracie, if you have oat flour, that will work perfectly. Hope you enjoy them!

3 Robin August 16, 2009 at 7:15 am

I tried this recipe last night since I had some leftover blueberries and I must say….WOW!!! I followed the recipe word for word but I did not put any powdered sugar as I felt they were great as is. I realized this is a great idea for diabetics since there is no sugar (agave nectar is an approved sweetener by the Diabetic Association due to its low glycemic index) or white flour in this recipe. I have already referred a friend to your site as we both have diabetic parents and also we are always looking for a healthier vegan treat :)

Please keep up the wonderful work and I look forward to trying more of your recipes!!!

4 Anonymous August 18, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Even my "I hate anything healthy" family loved these! Thank you!

5 Catherine August 18, 2009 at 9:30 pm

They were great! Thanks for the recipe.

6 Martha Knox August 26, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I made these the other night and they were delicious. For seconds, my husband and I had them with some chocolate cherry soy icecream which was also quite yummy.

7 Tashi August 29, 2009 at 3:08 am

I made these and they were delicious. Unfortunately I am on my own a lot so I gave most of it to some friends who have a big family and they all loved it and asked for more. Will definietly make them again.

8 Kara August 30, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I made these and they were absolutely delicious!

9 Adi (oatonomy.com) September 5, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I went out and bought a pint of blueberries specially for these bars. I'm so glad I did! These bars turned out fantastic. I ended up using a blueberry-flavoured applesauce and they are so tasty. Thank you!!

10 youaresexy September 7, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Susan, I love love love your blog and these were amazing! Thank you so much for your work.

11 Azahara September 17, 2009 at 9:35 am

These were truly delicious!
I too had some trouble with the top layer, but as they say, practice makes perfect, so I guess I'll just have to cook this more often :-D

12 Anonymous October 11, 2009 at 4:53 am

these bars are amazing. in fact, this website in general is simply amazing!! so fantastic to find alternative recipes for health junkies! these bars satisfy even those with the sweetest tooths' cravings! i (non-vegan but self-diagnosed health freak) teamed these yummy bars with natural yoghurt and fresh strawberries – much more than a bar, more like a slice of crumble! fantastic – thanks!!

13 Janet in Portland OR November 10, 2009 at 6:33 pm

I have made these many times since discovering the recipe about three months ago, they are a huge hit around here with my 3.5- and 2-year-olds. My husband would probably like them too, but he's been too slow to partake and they all get eaten before he gets to them! They work well with raspberries in place of blueberries, or apples. Yesterday I made them with a no-cook pumpkin filling — 1 c pumpkin + 1/2 c applesauce + nutmeg — which I thought was great, but it was a little less popular with the kiddos…. I sub nutmeg for the cinnamon, and I'm going to try the lemon zest suggested by some people. I too found the filling a bit on the sweet side, so I tried using water instead of apple juice. Thanks for the great recipe!

14 Hanna Louise November 11, 2009 at 9:18 pm

These look delicious–I'm going to try them once I get some blueberries. Do you think you can post the sugar content for your recipes along with all the other nutritional information though? some recent studies show that sugar contributes much more to weight gain and aging than fat or anything else does, so I'm most concerned about the sugar content.
Thanks!

15 da December 14, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Susan, I agree with most of the ladies here that this recipe looks very simple and the bars look very nutritious and delicious.
I wanted to make this macrobiotic and would like to use Barley malt instead of Agave. Do you know what should be the proportion of Barley Malt that I should be using?
Thanks!
Deepti

16 Mary C. April 24, 2010 at 6:39 pm

My daughter and I made these yesterday for my diabetic DH. We all enjoyed it for a nice dessert. My 6 y/o DD especially LOVED it. Thank you :)

17 Michelle May 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I just made this recipe and accidently left out most of the applesauce… and it was still delicious! I really love your blog, and every recipe I’ve made so far has been delicious. Thanks!

18 Kristi June 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Thanks for this great dessert! It reminds me of blueberry cobbler. Susan, you haven’t failed me yet. Keep up the good work!

19 Bonnie August 9, 2010 at 8:59 am

I made these back in 2008 when I discovered this site (which made it SO much easier to change from omnivore to low fat vegan — Thank you, Susan!). They tasted good, but I had to pick chunks of cornstarch out of the blueberries. How much water do you use to make the “smooth paste”?

20 Amanda August 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Made these today – super easy and quick. Pretty tasty. I found the vanilla a bit overpowering, so I think next time I make these, I will reduce the amount. =)

21 janet August 23, 2010 at 9:00 am

I preferred these as a snack during exercise. Not too sweet, moist and packs well. I wrote about my experiences here: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/blueberry-oat-bars/

22 Donna August 31, 2010 at 3:09 pm

These are awesome!!! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

23 Laurene Davison September 8, 2010 at 9:14 am

I made this recipe and love it but my husband and daughter said they were not sweet enough! They are meat eaters, I am vegan. I love this website and have it listed on my favorites list.

24 annette September 14, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I made these this week for my family, and WOW! They are delicious and really satisfying! I made a little powdered sugar glaze for the top. The blueberries oozing from the middle were so sweet and delicious.
This recipe is going in my regular rotation.
Thanks so, so much for your blog. All your work is greatly appreciated.

25 Sharmila November 7, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I made these for the family and we love them. (Of course, I added a little bit of extra agave nectar and sugar for taste). We eat them for breakfeast and dessert!

26 Diane January 23, 2011 at 9:31 am

What other fruits besides blueberries will work well with this? One family member doesn’t like blueberries so I was thinking of trying pears. Would I cook the pears the same as the blueberries? Thanks!

27 Karen January 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Hi Susan! A burning question ;p I have heard that ‘true’ blueberries are much smaller and grown in a bog like cranberries than the boxes of slightly larger fruit touted as blueberries in the grocery store. Apparently, those are really Huckleberries. Is this true? If so, antioxidant value difference? Thanks!! Karen

28 SusanV January 25, 2011 at 7:58 am

I believe that’s false. From what I’ve read, huckleberry plants are not cultivated and sold and are only found in the wild. The blueberries that you find in stores are blueberries, though some berries found in the wild that people call blueberries are actually huckleberries.

29 Rosie February 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Hi Susan, Great site. I’m planning on making these very soon! Can you substitute date molasses for the agave with good results? thank you for your wonderful recipes.

30 SusanV February 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Date molasses has a stronger taste than agave, but if you like the flavor, go right ahead. :-)

31 Jo February 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

LOVE it! I posted about it on my blog (with full credit!) Thanks for another awesome, perfect recipe!

32 marta srulovicz February 26, 2011 at 12:21 pm

yummy

33 mightyvegan February 28, 2011 at 9:16 am

I made these recently but I used raspberries instead of blueberries and for the sweetener I used coconut nectar, have you tried that yet? I loved them. The fruit mixture is so good! Thanks for the recipe!

34 SusanV February 28, 2011 at 9:31 am

I haven’t seen coconut nectar, but I will be on the lookout for it now. Thanks for the suggestion!

35 Allison April 10, 2011 at 7:37 am

These turned out really good! I was thinking of maybe adding a little lemon next time..what do you think? For some reason, I feel like that might be good. Then again, I never reeeally know what I’m doing in the kitchen so maybe that’s just a ridiculous thought, haha. Either way, I’ll definitely make these again!

36 heidi kellner May 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm

These are in the oven now – after making the orange/chocolate fat-free bundt cake for dinner last night, we are on a fatfreevegan.com roll. We used blackberries and blueberries and didn’t quite have enough fruit paste to spread around so a just mashed up rasberries into the empty spots and then when we put the topping on we smashed alternating rows of rasberries/blackberries across the top in a checkerboard pattern and put one blueberry in the middle of each square – my family loves the extra fruit and we can’t wait for these to come out of the oven. Thanks so much for your recipes – who would have ever thought you can make such yummy treats without the butter or eggs!

37 Fern May 21, 2011 at 6:36 am

I made these last week using fresh from the farm strawberries. They were delicious. My husband has requested I make these again. This week we are trying the blueberries.

38 Karen June 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I use babyfood in these in place of the applesauce — any sweet kind on hand — WE LOVE THESE BARS!!!

39 Crystal July 10, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Hi Susan!
I absolutely loved this blueberry bars. I fixed them for a family gathering and my aunt asked me to make them again. I was wondering if you use the same amount of stevia as you would agave nectar in the recipe…
Thanks

40 SusanV July 11, 2011 at 9:29 am

I’m so glad you liked them! If you use stevia, you’ll need a lot less because it’s so concentrated. I would just add it to taste. Good luck!

41 Louisa July 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Dear Susan

I live in England and love your site! Applesauce isnt very each to get over here. Do you know what I could use instead?

Thanks

Louisa

42 SusanV July 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm

If you can get vegan yogurt, vanilla or plain could replace the applesauce.

43 Gabriele July 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm

recipe looks yummy!! Wondering if I could use rasberries instead of blueberries?

44 SusanV July 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Sure! I just used cherries, and they came out great!

45 Lauren August 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

These look delicious! I was looking for a treat to bring to friends of mine who are gluten free and sugar free – this looks perfect! I never have juice in the house, though. What would be a good substitute for the apple juice?

46 SusanV August 11, 2011 at 10:06 am

The apple juice just adds sweetness and moisture, so you could replace it with water with a little agave nectar or other sweetener. Hope you enjoy!

47 Allyne November 8, 2011 at 11:31 am

I just baked them last night, and they were very tasty! Although I did have some trouble with the batter…. this could have been because i only had quick oats on hand. And I guess i put more than half on the bottom, because i did not have a full layer on top (the blueberry’s were popping thru). The end result was tasty, but a bid glopy…..perhaps from my quick oats.

48 Pierre December 18, 2011 at 9:44 am

Susan, i’m allergic to the cornstarch is there anything i can replace it?

49 Susan Voisin December 18, 2011 at 11:12 am

Potato starch should work just as well.

50 Nadia January 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm

This recipe is amazing. I made the bars today and even my 2 year old loved it. I used frozen blueberries and frozen mango chunks from Trader Joe’s; I didn’t have fresh blueberries. My whole family including me is enjoying it.
Thank you!

51 Courtney February 10, 2012 at 12:23 am

Could you use chia seeds as a different sort of thickener instead of the corn starch?

52 Susan Voisin February 10, 2012 at 7:21 am

I haven’t tried it, but my sense is that it wouldn’t hold together as well.

53 AVBear March 1, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Has anyone tried these with frozen blueberries? Should I thaw them first? And if I use frozen do you think I need to compensate by adding more cornstarch? Thank you! :)

54 Susan Voisin March 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Yes, measure them first and then thaw them. If it looks like the blueberry mixture won’t be thick enough you can add more corn starch, but it may not be necessary.

55 AVBear March 12, 2012 at 8:42 am

Thanks! I made these as suggested, though I honestly didn’t wait for them to thaw before I cooked them. Extra corn starch was unnecessary. They turned out beautifully and were REALLY yummy! :) Definitely a keeper recipe. Thank you!

56 kelly April 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Love the blueberry oat bars (and many other recipes from your site). I have been trying to veganize and ‘healthy-up’ the classic fruit and oat bar recipes from other sites, but with minimal success. I am trying to use up the last of my home-made blackberry and blueberry jams from last year prior to this season, so I used that as the filling. Thanks for the great site!

57 Mariette Costin June 20, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Great recipe!!!
Can someone answer one question? Agave nectar is not a powder is it? I don’t have any, by what fluid sweetener may I replace it?

Thank you for answering!

58 Susan Voisin June 20, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Agave nectar is a liquid. If you can’t find it, the best substitute would be maple syrup.

59 debbie stevenson July 27, 2012 at 2:15 pm

what can be used in place of agave. I dont use that stuff. date syrup? dates? and how much?
thanks

60 Susan Voisin July 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm

You can use an equal amount of date syrup or any liquid sweetener. A half cup of chopped dates would probably work in the filling.

61 Katherine July 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm

These bars look delicious! I’ll be trying them with fresh, Quebec blueberries. My daughter (a new vegan but life-long vegetarian) and I (long-time veggie) have tried and Pinned many of your recipes. It’s always fun to add something new to our list of favorites.
I have noticed that you often list oatmeal as one of the ingredients. I believe you mean oats, right (rolled, steel-cut or quick)? I know, picky, picky! It’s an occupational hazard for an editor!

62 Heidi July 27, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Sounds delicious and may just work for this vegan, flour-free, gluten-free, sugar-free house. BUT has anyone tried this with no added sweetners of any kind? Blueberries and juice are sweet enough on their own perhaps to make this work without agave.

63 Esther July 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm

These taste and smell wonderful! I use real maple syrup instead of agave and frozen berries. They turned out so well!!

64 Lindsey December 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Dear Susan-
Your website is absolutely amazing. I’ve tried several recipes and I LOVE all of them. These bars are DELICIOUS. For years I have struggled with weight, food and eating a healthy diet. Your website has shown me you can eat delicious and healthy foods at the same time! Please.. please… please continue the great work!!!

Your new friend,
Lindsey

65 Angela January 31, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Just made these today!! I was very pleased with the results, and they were super easy to make!! They had a nice texture and they were just sweet enough without being too sweet. Thanks for the great recipe!!

66 Will August 29, 2013 at 1:22 pm

A little tricky to spread the top layer with the warm blueberry mix below it…maybe I should have them completely cool? My oat mixture was a bit thick as I used steel oats didn’t have any rolled oats, just quick ones. Still should be yummy though it’s baking right now!

67 Lakshmi September 10, 2013 at 8:22 am

Can I use quick cooking oats as I don’t have the regular oats? Will the calories increase if I use dates syrup/maple syrup?
Lakshmi

68 Susan Voisin September 10, 2013 at 8:38 am

Quick oats will work fine, and I don’t think the type of syrup will affect the calories much.

69 Sophie January 8, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Hi! I found your recipe for Blueberry Oat Bars today on Pinterest and I made them tonite. Oh my goodness, they are a hit! My husband & 2 girls LOVE them so much. We eat a high starch lowfat vegan diet (McDougall) and this recipe is simply amazing and fits in so perfectly with our meal planning. Thank you so much! We’re huge fans. :)

70 lasassafras February 8, 2014 at 8:28 pm

OMG just made these and I absolutely love them! SO DELICIOUS!
I used frozen blueberries, and didn’t have any juice, so I used homemade yogurt..anyway- the filling is blueberry pie-esque and oh so tasty. I had some issues with the batter topping- as the bottom you can shape by pressing in to the pan; so I used a rolling pin to try and get the shape of my pan and placed it on top. So not nearly as pretty as the picture- but dang is it good! 10/10!!

71 Janet ZDichavsky March 5, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I would like to post your Blueberry Oat Squares recipe and picture on my face book page and of course credit you for it. Wondering if that would be ok.

Janetzdichavsky Rncp Rohp
janethealth.com

72 Susan Voisin March 5, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Janet, I am happy for you to post the photo and a LINK to the recipe here on my blog, but please do not post the recipe. I would like people to come here to get the recipe. Thanks for asking!

73 Debbie Scharmen July 16, 2014 at 10:10 am

Applesauce is so easy to make. Just take apples and a little water and put it into your blender. You can add cinnamon if you want. Fresh applesauce without cooking!! Works perfectly in recipes or to just eat right out of the blender!!! Can’t wait to try the blueberry bars…

74 miri July 16, 2014 at 11:08 am

I was thinking to sub the agave with stevia . And to use 2 cups of oats and 1 cup od almond meal. . This will be gluten free, sugar free and fat free !!

75 Diane July 19, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I had no oats for oat flour and used coconut flour. Epic fail :( The batter never turned moist no matter how much apple juice I tried to add. I am guessing 3 cups of oats- before grinding is less than 3 cups of regular flour. I am going to try again with the correct ingredient.