Scrambled Tofu with Porcini Mushrooms

by on November 4, 2008

Scrambled Tofu with Porcini MushroomsScrambled tofu is one of my family’s favorite breakfasts, but I think we enjoy it even more for dinner. There’s something comforting about coming home at the end of a long Autumn day to a plate piled high with scrambled tofu, toast, and possibly some creamy grits and vegan sausage. It’s the kind of soothing meal I like to fortify myself with before a nerve-wracking night watching election returns.

My scrambled tofu tends to contain about as much vegetables as tofu, making it a great way to get my daughter to eat her veggies without complaint. Everyone in the family has a favorite ingredient: my daughter insists that I add frozen peas to her portion, and my husband often requests artichoke hearts and tomatoes. But we all agree that it isn’t scrambled tofu without mushrooms. Recently, when we were all in a scrambled tofu mood but there were no mushrooms in the house, I got the bright idea to add some rehydrated porcini mushrooms and balance out the woodsy taste with some fresh basil. I wasn’t trying to be all fancy-schmancy, just get a comfort-meal on the table, but those ingredients, along with a few drops of truffle oil, really take scrambled bean curd to gourmet heights.

Scrambled Tofu with Porcini Mushrooms

1 Sky Goddess September 1, 2009 at 3:33 am

We have a simplified version of this almost every Sunday. It is just sliken tofu, mushrooms, spring onions, turmuric, lots of dill and salt and pepper. Great on a Bagel!

2 Captain Guy November 4, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Aye, but that be an interesting mix there! Mayhaps I’ll try it next week!

My scramble uses curry powder (my own blend), a sprinkling of prepared yellow mustard and lemon juice, purée some zucchini and onion, then chop some criminis and toss in a half-n-half mix of Daiya brand cheddar and mozzarella and serve over a tortilla.

What do you use the cornstarch for? Just a thickener? Would you recommend anything else as a substitute? I’m a bit sketchy with corn-based products these days – some days I’m fine, other days not so much. Probably a slight intolerance, most likely due to our wonderful friends at Monsanto.

3 SusanV November 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Yes, it’s just a thickener. You could substitute another starch (like potato starch), but I think it’d be fine if you left it out.

I’m intrigued by your recipe, especially the pureeing of the zucchini and onion. I never would have thought of that.

4 Amy November 4, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I was wondering if you have any suggestions on some of the recipes for a serving size of 1 to 2. I live by myself and find so many of the recipes to be great ideas to add to my diet plan but they are larger servings than I need. Or if some one could be so helpful in letting me know how I can convert the current recipe to a smaller amount. Thanks in advance.

5 Katie June 16, 2011 at 12:35 am

I was just wondering if you have any suggestions on where to find black salt. Is it the same thing as black lava salt? Sounds so interesting. Thanks!

6 SusanV June 16, 2011 at 8:00 am

No, black lava salt is totally different and usually more expensive. If there’s an Indian grocery store near you, it should have a bag of black salt big enough to last a lifetime for a few dollars. Other than online, that’s the only place I’ve found it.

7 Weisserose October 22, 2011 at 11:23 am

:-)
I know we are in 2011… but I have to tell you that this is one of our favourite recipes EVER! I´ve been cooking it regularly in our household ever since. The seasoning is so great that I always have this seasoning prepared to use in this and other dishes – I call it SuV- Mix. :-)

P.S. – The Recipe Box is a great tool. Shame on me that started mine only today!…

8 Seraphina November 27, 2013 at 10:15 am

I just made this for breakfast and OMG! So good! I had to use shiitake mushrooms and I didn’t have any truffle oil but it was still amazing!! Thanks!

9 Elaine Prophet May 15, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I’m sitting here eating this awesome tofu scramble for dinner and so grateful to you for this recipe. It’s one of my staples. I just love it.

The spice mixture is genius! I make it up in bulk, omitting the nutritional yeast, cornstarch and black salt. Then, when I’m making this recipe, I add one tablespoon plus one teaspoon of the dry spice mixture to the nutritional yeast and cornstarch.

Thanks again, Susan!