Chocolate Covered Cherry Pudding Cake

by on February 9, 2009

Chocolate Covered Cherry Pudding CakeA few days ago I challenged you to come up with delicious Valentine’s Day dishes that contain vegetables, and now here I am offering up a V-Day dessert that is completely devoid of vegetables. How hypocritical is that? What can I say? With all of you (15 bloggers so far) handling the vegetable dishes, I thought I’d take a break from vegetables and just bring the dessert.

Before I get to the recipe for this sinlessly delicious treat, let me remind you that the deadline for the Vegetable Love contest is tomorrow, February 10, at midnight Eastern time, so if you plan to enter, get cooking. The entries I’ve received so far look fabulous, but we can always use more.

To me, nothing says Valentine’s Day like chocolate. Unfortunately, my husband is not a big fan. Like his love of sports, his apathy toward chocolate is something I just don’t get. I’ve tried enticing him with all sorts of decadent chocolate desserts, but his reaction is always the same: “It’s okay…for chocolate.” So in order to get him to really love something with chocolate in it, I’ve learned that I have to combine it with a flavor he really likes. Fortunately, he really likes cherries, which are right up there with chocolate on my list of romantic foods. Their vibrant red color and sweet-tart flavor make them perfect little Valentines all on their own. Combined with chocolate, they’re irresistibly luscious and seductive.

I started with a recipe for old-fashioned chocolate pudding cake, the kind that almost magically forms a fudgy sauce underneath a layer of dark chocolate cake. Everyone has a favorite recipe for this cake, but the one I’ve been using for years is a variation of this fat-free version. For this special Valentine’s version, I wanted to add cherries to the pudding layer, to make them covered in chocolate, but that turned out to be trickier than I thought. It took three attempts, but I finally got the proportions right. Meanwhile, my family has been feasting on this delicious, I-can’t-believe-it’s-fat-free dessert every day. And you know what: Even the chocolate-intolerant hubby loves it. I challenge you to try it out on one of your loved ones, someone who claims not to like fat-free or vegan desserts. With or without vanilla ice cream on top, this dessert will make them fall in love with chocolate.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Pudding Cake

Chocolate Covered Cherry Pudding Cake

1 dancingonthepath January 8, 2010 at 8:33 pm

My honey and I are both vegan celiac. could this recipe be translated into a gluten free one?
It looks great, but not sure how to do it.

thanks.

2 robyn January 25, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I made this in the 8" pan and it came out FANTASTIC! My omni hubby gave it 5 stars! I gave it 5 stars!

How amazing! Thank you!

3 Anonymous January 25, 2010 at 9:34 pm

My husband and I gave it 5 stars!

4 Leah February 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Just made this, so delicious! I used raspberries since that's what I have and I used 6 ramekins since mine are 4oz ramekins. Baked them for 20 minutes and they are divine! And bonus, since I used smaller ramekins they are only 3 points each. Thanks Susan.

5 E Soleil February 9, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I did this recipe without the yogurt and just added a bit more soymilk and a smidge of lemon. I also didn't have ramekins so I did it all in a pie plate. Worked great! "you'd never know this didn't have any extra fat in it" and I did it with raspberries, instead of cherries (all sorts of alterations) turned out GREAT! next, blueberries!

6 Padron February 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I wish I would have seen this before today for Valentine's Day! My husband isn't too keen on the vegan dishes, but if I'm lucky, I can pull it off if I don't tell him beforehand. It stinks because I even have that exact silicone mold!
-Sylvia

7 Diedra February 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm

This was just wonderful! Made it last night for our Valentine dessert and my husband, a reluctant vegan, was so impressed. I made it exactly as written and was so pleased with the result. Thanks for such a fabulous recipe.

8 Marinda February 16, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I didn't have cherries, so I used frozen raspberries. It was awesome! Thank you! I LOVE your blog.

9 Anonymous February 16, 2010 at 8:22 pm

this was absolutely AMAZING! thank you!

10 Yvette May 31, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I just made this exactly as the recipe says, and ate it with my non-vegan mom, dad, and sister. They all absolutely loved it! Personally, I thought it was a bit too chocolatey, but that was only my opinion. So good with a nice glass of soy milk!! I wonder whether it should be a bit less baked at the bottom, where the cherries are, or whether I took the pan out too soon.

11 Meghan September 10, 2010 at 9:24 am

Hey, haven’t tried this recipe yet but it looks good. Only thing is that I thought you should know (for your other chocolate recipes as well) that cocoa and chocolate are NOT VEGAN unless you buy specific vegan chocolate or cocoa powder. A strict vegan cannot use just any chocolate or cocoa powder because it contains milk ingredients.

12 SusanV September 10, 2010 at 9:35 am

You’re right about the chocolate (as in chocolate chips and bars) but here in the US, unsweetened cocoa powder does not contain milk. Hersheys, Ghirardelli, my grocery store’s brand–all vegan.

13 Meghan September 11, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Thanks, I’ll look for some here in Toronto, they’re bound to have some somewhere.

14 pitu October 5, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Susan, I love this recipe! I make it very often, and just baked up a batch right now :D

15 Kim B February 7, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I made this today, sort of. :) I made it with maraschino cherries instead of frozen cherries, and using brandy instead of rum extract. I also used regular soy milk instead of vanilla, and vanilla soy yogurt instead of plain. It was delicious. Will have to try this recipe without those modifications sometime, as I imagine it’ll be even better with the frozen cherries.

16 Lindsay March 9, 2011 at 2:26 am

I made this tonight for my main-squeeze’s Birthday. We’re both on Weight Watcher’s right now, but he is not a vegan…. Anyway, he LOVED it! – I told him I hadn’t calculated the points yet, and he said “Ugh! I don’t want to know! – It’s probably a bazzillion points! My week is blown!” – Success! He was astonished when I told him it was 7 points (on the new Points Plus plan).

I had to use Strawberry Soy Yogurt because they were out of plain and vanilla at the store. I used Almond Extract instead of Rum Extract and I also used Light Vanilla Soy milk instead of regular Vanilla Soy Milk.

Thank you! – I will be making this again, it was really easy to make!

17 Sara November 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm

If you want to impress guests, make this for dessert! I had company last night (non-vegans!), and felt bold enough to make it without testing the recipe beforehand. It was SO simple. I made it ahead of time, and chilled it for a few hours. Delicious! My guests raved about it. Thanks for another great recipe, Susan!

18 Jen July 5, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hi, Susan! Would it be okay if I used fresh cherries in this recipe instead of frozen? I have a lot of fresh cherries I need to use.

19 Susan Voisin July 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Sure! Fresh will be great. Hope you enjoy it.

20 Vale May 1, 2013 at 11:56 am

Amazing idea , i love chocolate cherries and rum ( reminds me of mon cherie chocolates!) but i found weird the amount of protein, does it really have 60 gr? Cheers from italy, ur recipes are amazing:)
Vale

21 Susan Voisin May 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Vale, it has 4g protein and 60g carbohydrates.

{ 1 trackback }