Strawberry Snack Cake

by on March 19, 2009

Strawberry Snack CakeA couple of weeks ago I was contacted by Sherry Lucas, the food writer for our local newspaper, who asked if I’d like to be the subject of an article. Though naturally camera-shy (as well as people-shy), I agreed, and when she suggested that I cook a dish using something seasonal, my very first thought was strawberries. Besides being pretty (I hoped the photographer would be smitten by them and forget to take any photos of me), juicy strawberries from Florida have been available in our grocery stores for the past few weeks, and we’ve been able to get Louisiana strawberries since early February from “The Strawberry Man,” a farmer from my hometown in Louisiana who drives them up every day to sell from the back of his truck.

So I set to work on making the best, low-fat strawberry dessert I could, baking 4 different versions of the same recipe…and gaining 5 pounds in the process! All the experimenting paid off; the final version was light and tender. But after all that cooking, testing, and tasting, the newspaper chose to use the other recipe I made–a quinoa and asparagus dish–in the article.

Never fear–the newspaper’s loss is your gain. I’ve got the recipe, as well as these photos of the cake, right here! Be warned that though fat-free, it’s no health food because of the sugar and white flour. But sometimes during strawberry season, we just have to indulge ourselves a little.

Strawberry Snack Cake

1 parsnipsandsprockets August 20, 2009 at 3:26 pm

This is really good! I had to sub a few things because my pantry is lacking at the moment but it turned out delicious anyway! I used wheat and all purp flour instead of cake flour, applesauce for the yogurt, and blueberries instead of the strawberries.

I think I'm going to use your sauce creation over waffles next time I make them. Thanks for yet another great recipe!

2 evolvingtastes February 2, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Hi Susan, thanks for the recipe, and also for the link love on Facebook!

3 Alison February 14, 2010 at 5:28 am

I cannot wait to try this one out. I applied the same method to blueberry with outstanding results!

4 Sailaja Damodaran April 20, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Is cake flour known as All purpose flour.Please explain.
Thanks,

5 SusanV April 21, 2010 at 7:39 am

Cake flour has less protein and gluten than all-purpose flour, giving baked goods a lighter texture. In the US, it can be bought in grocery stores–look for boxes rather than bags. If you can’t find cake flour, you can use 3/4 cup of all-purpose mixed with 2 tablespoons of corn starch to substitute for each cup of cake flour.

6 Christine May 7, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Hi Susan! This looks delish! Do you think it would be okay to sub the soy yogurt with something like So Delicious’ coconut milk yogurt? And rice milk (or other) instead of soy milk? I’ve developed soy issues and would still like to make this recipe as soon as strawberries make it up to NJ! :) Thanks for all your fantastic recipes – you deserve the newspaper accolaes!

7 SusanV May 7, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Thanks, Christine! Feel free to use non-soy ingredients for soy. They’ll all work.

8 Vikki May 11, 2010 at 6:42 pm

This was very good! I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of the cake flour and I intended to use some stevia in place of the sugar but I forgot to add either. It was still very good!! Will make again and omit the sugar on purpose this time.

9 Melanie May 20, 2010 at 12:46 pm

What could I use instead of soy yogurt? I don’t have any here…

10 SusanV May 20, 2010 at 12:57 pm

You can use apple sauce or you can increase the soy milk by 1/4 cup and leave out the soy yogurt.

11 Kitty May 22, 2010 at 10:20 am

Just wanted to say that this is a wonderful website!

12 Tammy June 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Susan, thanks for this wonderful recipe! I had strawberries to use up quickly but not quite enough so I did 1/2 blueberries and it was a huge hit w/my 7 yo daughter (and with me, too!!). Wonderful website…you are awesome! :)

13 Gwen July 5, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Made this for my dad’s birthday today and it was a big hit! So moist and delicious!

Only thing I did differently was I made it in a 9×9… the baking time was more around the 20-25 minutes area for me.

14 anu January 13, 2011 at 6:05 am

Hi Susan, I think u have a fantastic site, love all your dessert recipes. I would like to know if I can make the Strawberry Snack Cake with frozen strawberries & if so do I have to thaw them (in a microwave?) before making the sauce . Please advise. Thanx & keep up the good work.

15 SusanV January 13, 2011 at 7:43 am

I would just let them thaw in the fridge overnight before using them. Hope you enjoy!

16 anon February 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Susan you should write a book, it would be great! It would be fantastic to have all your recipes together in hardcopy!

17 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Yum! I am sooo looking forward to strawberry season… it’s still pretty chilly up here in NH!

18 Cindy Hood-Siegal March 20, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Thanks for this recipe – it was delicious! My son is on a very restricted diet to try to pin down his allergies, so we subbed GF baking mix for the pastry flour. The cake was dense, but tasty and the sweet/sour strawberry sauce was a good complement. It looked and tasted like cake, which was great! It’s a whole lot more than I can say for some “alternative” recipes I have tried lately.

19 Cassie March 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm

mmm.. delish! Just made this today – perfect for a lovely spring day!

20 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 21, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Beautiful!!

21 V Ian March 24, 2011 at 5:20 am

hi Susan I tried it and did not like it at all, the cake was not even similar to a normal one :(

22 Ali April 5, 2011 at 9:23 am

This was fabulous! I’ve been dabbling a bit with vegan baking and I’ve never made a cake that was edible. This was more than edible and I could have easily eaten the entire cake myself! Everyone loved it.

23 Christine May 2, 2011 at 10:57 am

I bought a ton of organic strawberries on sale this past Friday and wanted a way to use some of them, so I made this – it’s delightful! Even my husband, who is not big on sweets, liked it. His only complaint was that it tasted a little “healthy” but that was my fault for using 3/4 cup of white whole wheat flour… I just couldn’t stand the thought of all that white flour! :) I think the cake is perfect, though I think next time I will decrease the sugar in the strawberry sauce since it was a tad sweet for me (maybe my strawberries were just that sweet?). I used vanilla almond milk and some homemade vegan yogurt too. Thanks for the cornstarch tip to sub for cake flour!

24 Shelley March 23, 2012 at 11:16 am

Yum! I cannot wait for strawberry season here in upstate New York now!

25 Esther March 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Well now I want strawberry shortcake. And strawberry season’s not til May. :-P

26 Heather March 26, 2012 at 12:05 am

Just wondering where you got that ADORABLE red/white polka dot pan?

27 Jessica Caneal April 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Omg, omg, omg. I can’t wait to try this!!

28 rebecca @outinthemsticks April 18, 2012 at 1:35 pm

question: Would you put the topping on it right away or would you wait until serving time? i.e. does it hold up when put together?

29 Susan Voisin April 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm

You can put it on beforehand, but put the whole thing in the refrigerator. Also, it works best if you leave the cake in the pan rather than take it out.

30 rebecca @outinthemsticks April 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Thanks so much Susan! I’ll do that now that the cake has cooled. We are having it as a special treat tonight. We LOVE your recipes!!!!

31 Claudia March 17, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Ok just made this……wow. thank you thank you. Had no yogurt on hand but used applesauce and a lil oil combined 4/1 to equal the amount of yogurt. This is sooo what I needed to go along with nada “chicken” parmesan over polenta. Perfect comfort food without too much guilt.

32 Erin March 22, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I am baking this after seeing the post the other day and then pinning it to make later when I had strawberries. I was missing a couple of ingredients like soy yogurt, but I added a touch more almond milk and it made a very nice batter. We’re all excited to try this. YUM!!

33 Chelsea March 19, 2014 at 2:12 pm

My husband was just saying to me the other day – “I wish we could find a good recipe for strawberry shortcake”…. and then this recipe pops up! I can’t wait to try it. Thank you!

34 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen March 20, 2014 at 4:59 am

Susan this recipe looks delicious and you are so right about strawberry season – sometimes we have to indulge just a little ;) Excited to try this cake! Thanks for the great recipe – Pinned!