Raw Corn and Black Bean Salad with Avocado

by on July 17, 2009

Raw Corn and Black Bean Salad with Avocado

Ever had corn so fresh that you were tempted to take a bite out of it, raw, and see what it tasted like? Recently I brought home some fresh, organically-grown corn and decided to do just that. I took a little nibble and it tasted good, a little starchier than I expected, but sweet and juicy. Being a careful person by nature, I didn’t dare take more than a bite without checking to see if uncooked corn was safe to eat in larger quantities, and sure enough, people have been whipping up raw creamed corn, soup, chowder (and more chowder), salad (and more salad), and corn chips and, of course, eating it right off the cob. So I decided to try raw corn in the type of salad I would normally make with roasted corn and decrease the seasonings a little to let the freshness of the corn shine through.

The resulting salad was very quick to throw together, light, and filled with the flavors of summer. A couple of words of warning, though. You must use corn that is freshly picked for this to have the best flavor. Older raw corn is still edible, but it’ll be tougher and less sweet. Also, some people (and by “people” I mean kids) just don’t like raw corn. My daughter E disliked it immediately and demanded that I tell you that she gave this negative 5 Crumbs on her Num-Crumb scale. She claims, “I don’t like raw food,” though I noticed she had no trouble gobbling up the raw avocado!

Raw Corn and Black Bean Salad with Avocado

Raw Corn and Black Bean Salad with Avocado

1 nicwill August 25, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe! It was wonderful. I substituted the black beans with chickpeas. It was surprisingly tasty! Thanks again.

2 Chris Davidson July 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I recently made the banana-chasew balls. My husband and I, put two Shelties have enjoyed them. Thanks! I will be making them again soon and letting friends try them as well. Thanks for being on facebook. Your site has been a big help for me. I just recently went Gluten Free, and I really needed new food ideas.
Thanks,
Chris Davidson

3 Magda July 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Looks great. Might be also awesome to wrap it in tortilla for a lunch snack at work. Yum.

4 Jeanette July 27, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I love this as a salad topper or snack. I make something similar with mango (instead of avocado), and cumin instead of chili powder. Refreshing!

5 Kim July 27, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I just got back from selling produce at my local farmers market and though “what the heck am I gonna do with all these green peppers and jalapenos?” I was scanning Facebook and saw your blurb about the raw corn and black bean salad. Of course I had to make it before my produce spoiled and this is a rawesome recipe! Thanks for the delicious after market light meal idea.

6 Libazeth1 July 20, 2011 at 11:31 am

That looks awesomely delicious! Wish I had all the ingredients to make it! :-)

7 Sonia The Healthy Foodie August 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm

This is so happening for supper tonight. Looks super yummy and refreshing. Love the fact that you kept the corn raw, too! I can’t wait to taste it.

8 Karen August 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Just made this and its great! I added some cilantro since I had it in the fridge and it added some freshness to already great salad. Yum!

9 Tammy Reaves July 16, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I made this dish tonight! I love it. I didn’t add any avocado, but I turned it up a bit with a dash of ground chipolte! I’ve added this on top of salad greens. I will definitely be making this one again. Thanks!!

10 Abra May 29, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I made this for a Memorial Day Pot Luck. It was delicious and easy to make. Instead of using the avocado as a little bowl, I diced it up and added it right before serving. I also added cilantro, just because. I’ve been thinking about it ever since and want to make it again. Oh and BTW, it was the first salad to go at the Pot Luck!