Ridiculously Easy Roasted Yellow Squash and Onions

by on August 10, 2009

Ridiculously Easy Roasted Yellow Squash and Onions

When I was growing up, my mother probably made some variant of this dish and I probably ate it, dutifully and without really tasting it. That all changed a couple of years ago when I sat down to eat the Southern-style meal my mom prepared during one of my brief visits. I took the first bite of the yellow squash with my mind more on the conversation than on the food but was brought back into awareness immediately by the smoky yet sweet taste of the browned squash and onions.

“Are you sure there isn’t any bacon grease in this?” I asked, fearing the worst.

“Of course not!”

“Then did you use a lot of oil or margarine?”

“No, just a non-stick skillet and a quick spray of Pam.”

Of course, I had to get her to tell me exactly how she’d cooked it, and once I saw how easy it was, browning it with onions became “my” standard way to cook yellow squash. The only problem was that it was hard to cook enough at a time. Even my largest non-stick or cast iron skillet would hold no more than two or three squashes after they had been sliced lengthwise. For a while I used two skillets just to have enough for the whole family to enjoy. Then one day I decided to try it in the oven and found that I could achieve the same browned, caramelized taste with more squash and less work. Better yet, the squash didn’t have to be watched as closely so I could get on with cooking the rest of the meal while they browned happily in the oven or toaster oven.

Ridiculously Easy Roasted Yellow Squash and Onions

Ready for the toaster oven

1 Manda August 10, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I was looking for a recipe that would use up my left over squash and ran across your blog. What do you cook with this? It looks great, but I am unsure what to serve with it. Thank you!

2 sugarmagnolia August 10, 2009 at 4:07 pm

I *love* squash and am always looking for new (and easy!) ways to prepare it. So trying this tonight. :)

3 SusanV August 10, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Jennyfurlynn, I really like them best cut this way. I've tried them sliced widthwise, but they're harder to turn and fall apart more easily.

Jeni, summer squash skins are tender (think zucchini) and not chewy at all. Give them a try!

Manda, serve this anytime you need a side dish. I had them with rice & pinto beans, "fried" green tomatoes (recipe coming soon), and roasted okra.

Hope you all enjoy!

4 haleysuzanne August 10, 2009 at 4:45 pm

This is just gorgeous. Anything involving a yellow crookneck squash gets my attention – they are one of my favorite foods. I admit, being a good Southern girl also– I love them fried. But roasted, steamed, sauteed are all wonderful. I will be serving your dish this week.

5 Apeksha August 10, 2009 at 4:51 pm

mmmmm…..that looks yum! almost like one of my favorite ways to eat most vegetables…..salt, pepper, onions, olive oil n garlic!

6 moonwatcher August 10, 2009 at 5:41 pm

This looks absolutely great! I will give it a try. :)

Thanks,

7 Sarah August 10, 2009 at 6:06 pm

That looks amazing, Susan! Your site is always a wealth of knowledge.

8 CK August 10, 2009 at 6:48 pm

I love yellow (summer) squash and onion. I am so happy to have a new way to cook it without the added fat.

You made my day.

CK

9 sweetkaroline August 10, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I lurve oven roasted veggies, this is a perfect way to cook up a bunch of squash in no time at all!

PS I love your pictures!

10 warren August 10, 2009 at 11:17 pm

An alternate serving possibility is as sandwich filling. Use a substantial bread like ciabatta or a baguette.?

11 Phoenix August 11, 2009 at 1:02 am

That looks so delicious! But I can't get any yellow squash around here. Can I do this with zucchini? They would need less roasting time, right?

12 jan April 25, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Join the 3000 club – or Market on the Move. For a $10 a week or $100 a year you can load up every Saturday with veggies – - and lately there have been yellow squash every week – right here in Phx! Just google it.

13 Linda August 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Just made with zucchini and it was AWESOME!

14 AB August 11, 2009 at 1:06 am

You are a goddess!! I have oodles of squash sitting on my counter and I'm racking my brain with how to cook it! I think this is definitely on the books for the week!

15 Jackie August 11, 2009 at 5:18 am

Sounds great, far better than the boiled to death squash I remember from my childhood LOL.

16 warren August 11, 2009 at 9:00 am

Phoenix –

Zucchini will work fine and the cooking time is about the same.

17 beachbubbles August 11, 2009 at 9:09 am

Squash and zucchini are my favorite veggies- I can't believe I've never thought of this. Brilliant simplicity. Thanks Susan, I will definitely me giving this recipe a go.

18 Anonymous August 11, 2009 at 11:44 am

Oh, wow, this looks positively mouth-watering. Thanks, Susan!

19 Anonymous August 11, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Thank you for this recipe. I have two squash, perfect! This is the first recipe that I will try from your collection! I'll visit your site more often! Thanks for sharing your skills!

Your new friend =),

Lolit of Zionville, NC

20 Josiane August 11, 2009 at 3:37 pm

This must be soooo good! The simplest things are often the best!

21 Genet August 12, 2009 at 12:36 am

Came across your site while looking for a vegan receipe and enjoyed it. I am familiar with vegan cooking (Ethiopian back ground) but was looking for something different. Will be trying some of them soon.

22 A_and_N August 12, 2009 at 7:44 am

I love how pretty it looks. A'd love this dish :)

23 Jessica August 12, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I always love finding "ridiculously easy" recipes. The squash looks exquisite!

24 eatme_delicious August 12, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Ooo this looks really tasty and simple! Love it.

25 Phoenix August 13, 2009 at 6:43 am

thanks warren!! :))

26 Hannah August 13, 2009 at 11:37 pm

I added some zucchini and Japanese long eggplant that we have in abundance. It was excellent! Thanks!

27 Mary August 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm

This is my favorite way to eat summer squash, yellow especially. It develops a lovely richness in the oven. Mmm!

28 Mary August 15, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I'm a Southern girl too. My mom used to make enormous frying pans full of squash in the summer. Just chopped squash (she cut hers crosswise) and lots of a onion and a touch of oil. She cooked it until it started to brown and it was absolute heaven! She still makes it now, but she frequently makes it in the pressure cooker to save time. I like squash any way I can get it, but browned in the cast iron frying pan is the best!

29 acadia August 23, 2009 at 6:11 pm

mmm, this looks so good! i love your blog :)

30 Elizabeth Edith September 4, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Your ridiculously easy ones are always my favorite. I'm making this tonight!

Thanks for posting it!

31 Kristy3m September 7, 2009 at 10:56 am

you have some amazing recipes!!! thank you!

32 Lior January 5, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Thank you for the recipe. I used it tonight and it was delicious. :)

33 Janis June 12, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Wow, I made this tonight and it is truly delicious. Make more because you will be so sorry if you don’t. Thank you very much two good recipes in a row.

34 Lydia July 14, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I also grew up in the South eating lots of summer vegetables – we never added water to squash. If you cover it with the onions and cook it on low heat it will give up its own water and steam its self and the onions down. When the vegetables get soft you take the lid off and brown – using salt and lots of pepper. This method carmelizes the vegetables and it is so naturally sweet and good. Of course, my family used bacon fat to start the vegetables off with, but you can do the same thing with a non stick skillet or cooking spray in a black iron skillet.

This roasted squash sounds wonderful and I am trying it this week.

35 yoohoo August 4, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Just tried it this recipe…..

I was so excited when I got the brown caramelization! I dreamed of how wonderful they would taste, but was, as usual, disappointed.

The texture was very nice–i even added butter for a bit more lusciousness, but it was almost a chore to eat it. I guess I’m never going to love -or even Like- squash! :(

36 bas bleu May 13, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I made this a few days ago. LOVED IT! I’ve been sauteeing yellow squash & onions (green onions) for years. Your way leaves just enough crunch.

37 Cheri August 10, 2011 at 9:39 am

I love summer squash! We eat it roasted or grilled all the time. I add a little Montreal Steak seasoning and it turns out wonderfully everytime.

38 Lori August 12, 2011 at 8:45 am

I grew up in the South, and this reminds me of the squash our housekeeper used to make. She boiled the onions and squash, then mashed them with a little butter. Bread crumbs on top, then in the oven. I can’t wait to try this healthier version- my favorite flavors of summer!

39 SusanV August 12, 2011 at 8:48 am

My mother made a squash casserole similar to that, thought the squash and onions weren’t mashed, just chopped up. :-)

40 Erin O'Bryan August 13, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I just had this for dinner, fantastic. The onions got so sweet and it went so well with the squash. Now I wish I would have bought a whole lot more squash. Tis the season so it shouldn’t be hard to make again and again well into Fall.

41 Anna September 2, 2011 at 7:08 pm

This was good, healthy and VERY EASY. I was pleased. Fried is still may favorite but it was by far the best squash I’ve ever had outside of battered and fried individual pieces….however it was much simpler. Just slice it, pop it in the oven and forget about it! I’ll make this again.

42 dorothy greenwald September 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm

can most squash be made the same by baking?

43 SusanV September 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Yes, though winter squash like butternut and acorn will take longer. I like to cut them into cubes so they take less time.

44 Terry March 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Super yummy! Thanks for sharing this amazingly simple recipe – love it!

45 Nancy Jones April 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I have to admit, I thought this would be a boring dish. I was so wrong! I made it for dinner last night and just ate the leftovers heated in a tortilla with a little baba ganoush. Amazing!

46 Brenda W. July 15, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Nancy … what a great idea about eating this in a heated tortilla!! I was trying to think how to make this a filling meal, and I think roasting these as in the recipe, and putting them in a tortilla with some black beans will make a super supper!!

Susan … thanks again for another great recipe (that I am only now discovering!!)

47 Holly June 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I made this squash and onion dish today and it was fantastic. I love yellow squash and am always looking for new ways to prepare it. This is by far my favorite. Thanks so much for the recipe. Happy cooking!!!

48 lifechange June 19, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Trying out this Ridiculouslt Easy Roasted Yellow Squash for the first time.
It sounds like it taste good. Here goessssssssss.
Life Change

49 Andie June 28, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Made this with squash from the garden! I did yellow and zucchini squashes. It was so good. Since I went vegan, I use your website extensively and not sure I could have done it without you. Thanks for sharing all of your recipes!

50 Priya July 8, 2012 at 7:09 am

Yes – I love to make it this way too – have my 3 yr old loving it :)

51 sue wasserman July 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I may like your squash recipe but resent the hell how it printed out – do you know how many sheets of paper it wasted printing all the comments here?

Geez.

52 Susan Voisin July 18, 2012 at 3:59 pm

There is a link to the “printer-friendly version.” It should print on one page, two at most.

53 Melissa Fedak August 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I just finished eating my first roasted squash (and zucchini) with onions based off the recipe on this page. It was delish!

And when you say easy, you actually mean it! I know very little about cooking, especially with veggies, and am always surprised how difficult so-called “easy” recipes are. But not this one! I made it with full confidence! (The photo helped a lot, too.)

Thanks!

54 Jane M September 8, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Looks delicious. Can this be frozen after it’s cooked?

55 Susan Voisin September 8, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I wouldn’t. I don’t think the squash will hold up well.

56 KM September 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

I tried this last night and it’s going into my permanent favorites file! I’ve never roasted yellow squash before and I really liked how that method gives it a creamy texture without totally collapsing the structure of it. I added a bit of Cajun seasoning for some heat along with cracked pepper. Thanks for the new way to use up the last of the Summer squash!
KM

57 Esther J November 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I made these as an easy side for Thanksgiving dinner, and they turned out so very good! The sweetness of both the squash and the onion against that smoky, charred flavor was just the right combination.

Definitely will be making them again (probably soon) when I need a simple side.

Thanks and I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

58 AshleyMiranda February 20, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Well I enjoyed this however it would NOT carmalize… :( but it was still tastey.

59 Kathy A. May 11, 2013 at 3:51 pm

O.M.G. I just took these out of the oven and am already on my second plate full. This will be a staple in my house, for sure.

60 Ruth August 3, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Yum! I made these with a dash of olive oil, and I didn’t have onions so I used shallots. Superb! And so simple and healthy.

61 Ann December 12, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I just tried this and is was delicious. I love yellow squash…and this is my new way of fixing it. Yummy and so easy! Thank you.

62 lauren January 11, 2014 at 9:25 pm

What a fun new way to cook squash! I’m making some with some sloppy joes, and a broccoli rabe salad. Thanks for the healthy side idea! LOVE IT already..

63 Donna June 13, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Tried this recipe for dinner tonight. Delish!!!!! This will become one of our regular sides.

64 Odin July 30, 2014 at 1:20 am

We had this for dinner tonight (I used sweet onions) with the seasame/ginger broccoli and brown rice. It didn’t turn out as pretty as yours, but it tasted great!