Almost Instant Frozen Fruit Yogurt

by on September 1, 2009

Peach Frozen Yogurt

It’s not often I get to have dessert for breakfast and consider it a healthy meal, but that’s exactly what I did yesterday. A sudden craving for something frozen and sweet got me thinking: Why are some foods considered breakfast and others dessert? What’s the difference, really, between muffins and cupcakes, pancakes and dessert crepes, or smoothies and frozen yogurt? Although the breakfast foods are generally considered healthier and less sugary, in actual practice that isn’t necessarily so.

But if your desserts are on the healthier side, what’s to stop you from having one for breakfast? Well, if you’re me, nothing! I used my Vita-Mix to create this creamy, luscious frozen soy yogurt in about 3 minutes using no sugar at all. I added a few fresh peach slices and a sprinkling of granola and felt like I was having the most decadent breakfast ever.

The same formula works with just about any frozen fruit, but my personal favorites are peach and cherry. If you don’t have a Vita-Mix or similar high-powered blender, you should be able to pull this off in a food processor. I used to do it all the time with strawberries in my Cuisinart; the texture is a bit more icy, but the flavor is still fresh and fruity. Enjoy!

Peach Frozen Yogurt

Almost Instant Frozen Fruit Yogurt

(printer-friendly version)

1 cup soy yogurt
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped (see note)
16 ounces frozen peaches or other fruit, unsweetened
1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
1/3 cup sugar–or stevia to taste (I used 3 tiny scoops of KAL pure stevia extract)

Place ingredients into blender in the order listed. Put on the top and insert the pusher, if your blender has one. Start blender on low and quickly turn it up to its highest setting. Blend, pushing the fruit into the blades, until four mounds appear at the top of the mixture and machine sounds like it is running harder. Do not over-blend because the friction will cause melting. Serve immediately for best taste.

Peach Frozen Yogurt

To make in a food processor, put the fruit and sweetener (and vanilla, if using) in first and pulse to chop. With the machine running, add the yogurt through the feed tube. Continue processing until most of the fruit is pureed and fruit and yogurt are well mixed.

This frozen yogurt is best served right away, but if necessary, store it in a covered container in the freezer. Before serving, remove it from the freezer and allow it to thaw slightly, stir, and serve. Or put it back into the blender or food processor and process briefly.

Note: Cut the vanilla bean in half crosswise. Insert the tip of a knife in the stem end and slice the bean in half lengthwise, without going all the way through the bean. Open the bean up, and use the back of the knife to scrape the seeds out. Save the scraped bean. You can use it to flavor sugar, yogurt, or any liquid just by soaking it for a few hours.

Servings: 4

Nutrition Facts

Nutrition (per serving, using stevia): 89 calories, 13 calories from fat, 1.4g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 16.1mg sodium, 335.2mg potassium, 17.4g carbohydrates, 3.5g fiber, 12.5g sugar, 3.1g protein, 1.2 points.

Nutrition (per serving, using sugar): 153 calories, 13 calories from fat, 1.4g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 16.1mg sodium, 335.5mg potassium, 34g carbohydrates, 3.5g fiber, 29.1g sugar, 3.1g protein, 2.5 points.

(Both analyses use Wildwood Plain Soy Yogurt and peaches.)

Though MyPoints are calculated using a formula similar to Weight Watchers Points TM, this site has no affiliation with Weight Watchers and does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Other Recipes You May Enjoy:

Greek-Style Soy Yogurt

Greek-Style Soy Yogurt

Making Soy Yogurt

Making Soy Yogurt

Fresh Cranberry Sorbet

Fresh Cranberry Sorbet

1 bazu September 1, 2009 at 11:08 am

oh yum. I'm craving this exact same thing! I don't have a vitamix, but will give it a go with the faithful Cuisinart… I'm thinking mango would work great too!

2 Chris September 1, 2009 at 11:28 am

Great picture! The vanilla bean specks reminds me of peach butter with spices. Now I want peach butter and peach frozen yogurt.

Would extract or leaving out the vanilla work in a pinch?

3 Gwen September 1, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I've made a dessert with just soy milk and frozen strawberries, bananas, or other fruits; but this is looking extra special, Susan!

4 jacqueline September 1, 2009 at 12:32 pm

wow, this looks awesome! i wish so badly i had a vita-mix. seems like it would also be great with blueberries or mango.

5 Josiane September 1, 2009 at 12:46 pm

The texture of your frozen fruit yogurt seems perfect! It must have made for a delicious breakfast.

6 Josiane September 1, 2009 at 12:46 pm

7 chow vegan September 1, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Wow! that looks awesome! It looks almost like dessert instead of breakfast. What a great breakfast idea!

8 ~M September 1, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Yum, I'm going to try with plain coconut yogurt (which I think is slightly sweetened). Do you have an idea for a sub for the apple juice concentrate or could I omit it?

9 SusanV September 1, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Chris, a little vanilla extract would be fine. It's just a light flavor, so you could also choose to leave it out.

~M, I don't think the apple juice concentrate is essential. I just happened to have it onhand, so I used it to add a little sweetness.

10 A September 1, 2009 at 2:07 pm

That looks incredibly easy AND delicious!! :D
-A

11 inadvertent farmer September 1, 2009 at 4:42 pm

We always use frozen bananas for our sweetener and then other fresh fruit, right now it is blueberries because they are coming out of our ears! A splash of vanilla soy or rice milk and you have a killer smoothie.

I like to add flax seed and oat bran to mine, the kids will eat it that way but prefer straight up fruit! Kim

12 Pearl September 1, 2009 at 5:18 pm

love it! sounds refreshing and looks delicious.

13 Christina September 1, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I love doing this! It's great to start or end the day. I usually use strawberries or mango, and a tablespoon or two of agave nectar, though. It really is one of the easiest, most satisfying desserts.

14 tastestopping September 1, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Wow. That looks both decadent and refreshing. Is that possible? :) I'm also thinking that my kids would love this, and since it's filled with things I would serve them anyway (yogurt, fruit, cereal on top), why not let them eat it for breakfast? Then I wouldn't have to hide it! :) Thanks for the idea.

Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor

15 Mandi September 2, 2009 at 9:46 am

This looks amazing. I love quick simple desserts you don't have to feel guilty about.
I like to run frozen bananas through my juicer with the blank on.. It comes out just like custard, and it tastes amazing. You can also blend frozen bananas with a little bit of soy milk and get similar yummy-ness.
I know this is a bit off topic but your photography is absolutely beautiful. I'm always enraptured every time I visit your site!

16 The Voracious Vegan September 2, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Cold, fresh and creamy! The perfect summer dessert…or breakfast! Lovely post.

17 Alisa - Frugal Foodie September 2, 2009 at 10:56 pm

mmm, seriously yummy idea!

18 tasty treats September 3, 2009 at 8:39 am

Famous Recipe Newsletter
recipeguides.blogspot.com

I posted a great recipe in my link. It's a dessert recipe.
This is a new recipe I recently found,
I made it for a family dessert
the entire family enjoyed it very much.
Very nice blog you have here, I appreciate good blog content!
Your followers will love this link.

19 mandasuz1 September 3, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Frozen mango gets really creamy when blended. Mango and peaches – yum!

20 Laura September 3, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Well Susan, you've talked me into it. I've been pining after the Vita-Mix for quite some time now and I finally ordered it today! I think this will be the first recipe I try, it looks delicious! I have a bag of frozen wild blueberries in my freezer, has anyone out there tried it with blueberries?

Thanks again for another great one! My non-veg husband and I enjoy your recipes at least twice a week. It's so great to find delicious, vegan food we can both enjoy!

21 Natalie September 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm

This looks so delicious and I wouldn't even feel guilty having it for breakfast or as a midnight snack!

22 Anonymous September 7, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Susan you should have a rating bar for every recipe. I would rate this one a 10! YUMEEE~

23 Sophia.Pflieger September 8, 2009 at 10:12 am

I use my braun food processor to cream up my frozen fruit. It seems to work really well, I think my blender would die if I tried to blend up frozen fruit without liquid!
I never thought of adding yogurt to it, but that is a really good idea, it look extra creamy!
Sophia,

24 Carey September 9, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I just tried this and it worked great! I used frozen strawberries and vanilla extract since that's all I had. I didn't have any apple juice concentrate but I did use the stevia. Thanks for a such a quick, delicious recipe!

25 Michal September 9, 2009 at 8:55 pm

this looks so delicious :)
i cant wait to try it out!

26 used forklifts September 10, 2009 at 8:40 am

Yum! This looks heavenly. It certainly is very nutritious too. I love this post. Thanks!

27 Vegetarian Man September 15, 2009 at 5:25 pm

I've tried your other recipes…but this one takes the cake…so tasty

28 Jessica September 18, 2009 at 7:02 pm

thank you for this recipe! My daughter and I had this for breakfast the other day (minus the vanilla bean) and it was incredible! The consistency was perfect and we really enjoyed the flavor.

Thanks!

29 Lovliebutterfly September 19, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Interesting! I've got some frozen berries and I'm gonna try this! I always just make banana smoothie with soy milk. But here's a change!

30 Meghann October 6, 2009 at 1:10 pm

my husband is always begging me to make this fruit 'ice cream.' Its so tasty, so cheap, and oh so good for him. Thanks for the post!

31 Anonymous October 7, 2009 at 1:55 am

This is my usual breakfast, except that I use banana instead of apple juice as the sweetener. Yum! I just buy whatever fruit/berries are on sale, and often freeze up a big batch myself.

32 Anonymous November 17, 2009 at 12:05 pm

It is extremely interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

33 jennyfurlynn April 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm

hi susan! i've been looking around the blog for more info about the vitamix. i'm leaning toward buying one, and i wasn't sure if you've written anything else about it aside from mentions in recipes. i saw info on their website, but i was wondering why else you liked it.

thanks! :)

jenny

34 Azahara August 21, 2010 at 10:26 am

I had this as an afternoon snack, together with some fresh fruit. It was delicious! I especially loved the texture, although it didn’t look as pretty as the one in this post’s pictures.

35 Cassandra May 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I just bought a vitamix and was searching the web for recipe ideas. I came across this one and tried it last night, it was amazing! The whole family loved it! It was so delicious. I didn’t have a vanilla bean so I used extract, which worked great. I also didn’t have soy yogurt but had a greek plain yogurt and added some stevia for some extra sweet flavor since it was a dessert. I will definitely be making this again and will try different fruits! Thank you so much for sharing!

36 Radhika Sarohia August 17, 2012 at 6:14 am

This looks delicious, lovely photos
I make something semi-similar by blending up blueberries with coconut milk and a bit of a agave nectar for a thicker summer smoothie.

37 afracooking September 8, 2012 at 8:36 am

Oh yum, just finnished a portion of cherry-yoghurt. I think I might just go and make a second serving!

38 sepeters October 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Ohhhhh, this is so good and the perfect alternative to all those sugar- and-fat-filled-commercial-vegan-ice-cream. Its still reaching 100 degrees in the afternoon here in AZ and i’ve found this recipe is adaptable to almost any fruit. Almost all of the extra fruit from my garden’s last summer outburst has been frozen into ice cube trays and works perfectly for this! So far I have tried strawberry banana with orange juice (rather than apple), green tea raspberry (using frozen concentrated green tea ice cube instead of juice), orange, apple cinnamon, grapefruit (meh), assorted melon (tried tigger melons and honeydews, both were great), and avacoda cashew (this was GREAT tasting, but the avocados turned brownish either from freezing or thawing, also i left out the vanilla and subbed a dash of salt, NO SUGAR!) Truly, a treasure chest of a recipe!

39 Texas Ann June 28, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Help,
This sounds great and I want to try. A couple of years ago I made a mango frozen dessert (I think it was an Eat to Live recipe) and it was really good. I have lost recipe. I know it had dates and mango and I think cashews. It anyone has please post. Thanks,