Fat-Free Pumpkin and Raisin Biscuits

by on October 26, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Biscuits

I used to love biscuits. I was raised on my mom’s Bisquick biscuits and sometime during college graduated to baking and devouring Southern-style biscuits made with White Lily flour and lots of butter or margarine. Living alone in my tiny student apartment, I would bake up batches of huge, fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth biscuits on the weekend and eat them all by myself, and it didn’t take long before I developed huge, fluffy thighs to match.

Fast forward x-number of years (I don’t want to think about how fast that time went!) Today I firmly believe that all that white flour and fat isn’t good for me, my thighs, or my arteries. So I rarely make biscuits. I could indulge in a biscuit or two for an occasional treat, but the truth is, I don’t want to re-develop a taste for them. And since it’s the fat that gives biscuits their light, flaky texture, fat-free biscuits just don’t have the same texture, no matter what you do.

But if you’re not expecting them to be lighter than air, it is possible to make biscuits that are a new type of comfort food, tasty and filling without fat or white flour. For these biscuits, I’ve replaced the fat with pumpkin puree, and though they they’re not going to float off the plate, you definitely won’t break a tooth biting into them. In keeping with my goal of making them as healthy as possible, I didn’t use any sugar at all; raisins provide the only sweetening, so if you want to sweeten them up, you can top them with icing, as in the photos (that’s the orange icing from Chocolate-Orange Cake). But D, who doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth, preferred them plain, and E and I liked them spread with apple butter or drizzled with agave nectar for a sweet yet more natural taste.

Pumpkin Spice Biscuits

Pumpkin and Raisin Biscuits

1 Lauren October 26, 2009 at 11:35 am

These look absolutely divine! Definitely a starred recipe.

2 Maria October 26, 2009 at 11:43 am

These look great! I love raisins in my baked goods.

3 The Ordinary Vegetarian October 26, 2009 at 12:01 pm

This is a very exciting recipe! I love this alternative to buttery biscuits (my thighs will thank me as well!) Can't wait to try this.

4 Kiersten October 26, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Yum! I love anything that has pumpkin in it. These will be a nice change from the many batches of pumpkin muffins I will make this winter.

5 Jelli Bean October 26, 2009 at 12:44 pm

These sound delicious. I love all things biscuit and pumpkin. Since I recently tried the ropes of fresh pumpkin cooking, I'm pretty confident that these will soon be baked up for dinner. Yummy!

6 Lori Maffei October 26, 2009 at 1:16 pm

These biscuits sound wonderful, and as usual, lovely photographs as well!

7 Sarita October 26, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Just out of curiosity? How did you prepare the icing?

8 MamaDog October 26, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Can't wait to try these. they seem more like scones.
But my son doesn't like raisins. How do you think these would be with dried cranberries?

9 nora October 26, 2009 at 1:42 pm

mmmmm i already know i'll love them!

10 Janell October 26, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Might almond milk be used in place of soy milk?

11 SusanV October 26, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Sarita, the (easy)icing comes from my Chocolate-Orange Cake recipe; there's a link in the post.

MamaDog, if you like dried cranberries, then give them a try.

Janell, sure! Use whatever kind of non-dairy milk you prefer.

12 diane October 26, 2009 at 3:22 pm

these look wonderful! just might have to surprise the family with some biscuits tonight. My favorite part about this recipe — I have all the ingredients handy! :)

13 Trinity (of haiku tofu) October 26, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Gorgeous, Susan!

14 Ricki October 26, 2009 at 4:22 pm

They look like the perfect texture to me! And I love that photo of pouring the glaze–stunning.

15 jahnu October 26, 2009 at 5:11 pm

These look YUM & delicious.can't wait to try this.

16 Alison October 26, 2009 at 5:35 pm

AH YES!!! These look amazing!! I shall try these tomorrow!! Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm new to baking, what did you use for the icing? Like what recipe or did you buy it??

17 Alison October 26, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Ooh oops you already mentioned the icing haha I skimmed through the blog in excitement and didn't take the time to actually read it lol!!

18 Rachel October 26, 2009 at 5:52 pm

One word comes to mind- YUM! Thank you for this recipe. I may make it and feature it in my blog next week… it depends on how mine turn out. :) I need to adjust for elevation issues, but I am excited to try these, especially because my husband grew up in the south and has been missing biscuits since we made the lifestyle switch.

19 moonwatcher October 26, 2009 at 5:54 pm

These look delicious–and thanks so much, too, for the gluten-free link, too, for those of us who need it. Cindalou's recipe looks good, too!! I'll put these on my "to try" list. . :)

20 Michelle October 26, 2009 at 8:22 pm

In the recipe file. I think I just ate my comptuer screen.

21 Mark October 26, 2009 at 9:33 pm

These sound great. Would whole wheat pastry flour work as well as the white whole wheat flour?

22 SusanV October 26, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Mark, I don't like whole wheat pastry flour quite as much as the white whole wheat, but it's the next best thing.

23 Laura October 26, 2009 at 11:43 pm

I feel like I've just stumbled upon a goldmine with this recipe!! I MUST have it! I'm thinking about subbing dried cranberries for the raisins, since I have some, but they sounds so good either way! I could even do some sweet potato puree instead of pumpkin…the possiblities are endless! Great job with this one, Susan V!!

24 Gina October 27, 2009 at 6:41 am

Those sound really nice!! Some agave with them sounds perfect :)

25 The Voracious Vegan October 27, 2009 at 9:09 am

Wow, that looks delicious! And I love the orange icing you are pouring over it, that would take this treat to the next level I am sure!

26 *Naomi* October 27, 2009 at 9:59 am

these look incredidble, and the addition of raisins is such a sweet, surprise!!

27 easy recipes October 27, 2009 at 4:29 pm

It look amazing. Thanks for the recipe.

28 Fayinagirl (means Free One) October 27, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Oh my! Those look yummy! I never thought of putting pumpkin in a biscuit recipe. Brilliant! (Pumpkin is one of my all-time fav foods)

29 Heather October 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Just made these… Very nice! I used regular whole wheat flour + rice milk and it turned out fine :)

30 dubaidossier October 28, 2009 at 9:07 am

Yum! Awesomely seasonal with the Pumpkin

31 Healthy and Homemade October 28, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Oh Susan these look wonderful! Now I know what I want to bake for the family Christmas morning =)

Honestly, I'm not sure if I can wait that long! I might just have to take advantage of a lazy morning and give these a shot!

32 Anonymous October 28, 2009 at 3:24 pm

I can't seem to find white whole wheat flour. Can I blend wheat and white? Perhaps a 50/50 mix? If not what other substitute can I use?

33 CookTeen October 28, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I am totally making these!! Pumpkin is my favorite and so nice that these are low fat!!! They look absolutely amazing (except the raisins…I've never been a fan of raisins)

check out my blog!! I am giving a way an autographed Paula Deen Cookbook!!!

Cookteen.blogspot.com

with love and cupcakes,
CookTeen

34 Anonymous October 28, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Hi Susan
Thank you for this simple recipe which won't have shortening. But did it have a pumpkin flavor? I might not add raisins since I would like to eat it with a spicy curry.

35 SusanV October 28, 2009 at 8:57 pm

They have only a very light pumpkin flavor, and I think they would be terrific with a spicy curry.

36 Dentists Orange October 29, 2009 at 2:17 am

I love your posts! GOOD food indeed. i'm now making a list of healthy meals to prepare for my kids. thanks for sharing your recipes.

37 Nancy October 29, 2009 at 8:35 am

My biscuits were never "lighter than air" anyway so I'm sure a heavier biscuit will not be a probelm for me! Thanks so much for this recipe. I have all the ingredients and will give them a try.

38 Anonymous October 29, 2009 at 9:16 am

These are perfect! Made them yesterday, and I'm already jonesing for more. Thank you!

39 jessica October 30, 2009 at 4:05 pm

I have a question for you. Kinda not related to the biscuits…but also kinda related.

Lately when I make a vegan/gluten free loaf, muffin or other baked good…it tastes great for 2 days and then gets funky tasting. Almost rancid. Doesn't matter what type…pumpkin, apple, ginger etc.

I use gluten free flour, xantham gum and paneriso egg replacer in each of these. Could it be onoe of these things that makes it go bad?

I'm getting REALLY frustrated.

Help!

40 Azahara October 31, 2009 at 2:35 pm

The pumpkin flavor is very light, as you said. Is it possible to add more pumpkin without increasing the amount of flour?
Also, can I use black chocolate chips in lieu of the raisins?

Thanks a lot!

41 SusanV October 31, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Azahara, for the pumpkin, try substituting some of the soymilk with additional pumpkin. ANd since everything tastes better with chocolate, I say go for it!

42 Laloofah October 31, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I confess, with each new FFV post I invariably want to step right into your photos, snarf up all the food, steal most of your dishes, raid your garden, and just basically be adopted by you. Would that be a problem? :-)
Happy Halloween!

43 Stefania October 31, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Delish!

Congrats on your win with VegNews.

Stefania (formerly The Veg Next Door)

44 eatme_delicious November 1, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I love this healthier version of biscuits you've created!

45 CharlieBean November 1, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Do you think this would work substituting pumpkin for carrot or apple purrée? I've had the unfortunate experience of letting my pumpkin purrée rot in the fridge during my flu days.

46 SusanV November 1, 2009 at 1:36 pm

CharlieBean, I know apple puree will work, and carrot puree might work, but I can't make any promises. Hope you're feeling better!

47 Anonymous November 2, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Great recipe! I made these biscuits only omitting the raisins. They were simply devine and guilt free! I used pumpkin puree that was chilled in the refrigerator, and I felt that it gave the dough a more of a "biscuit" moistness.

48 Wendy December 29, 2009 at 7:11 pm

I've been stalking your blog for a long time (and making many of your recipes), but this one is so fantastic I actually had to post. Thank you a hundred times over for creating such delicious and sin-free fare. :)

49 Rebecca January 2, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I just made my second batch, substituting chopped candied ginger for the raisins. Absolutely delicious.

These biscuits are truly divine when they are warm straight out of the oven. Thank you so much for the recipe!

50 Anonymous January 14, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I made these last night, and WOW!

I cut them in half and served them with apple and pear fruit spread and a blob of soya yogurt – like an English cream tea, but none of the guilt!

Thanks for the recipe!

51 bridy July 6, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I made these tonight. They are very good!
I am trying to find diffrent things to feed my kids for breakfast. We don’t eat any premade boxed cereal and they don’t want oatmeal every day. I am hoping they will like these.
I used 100% organic whole wheat flour instead or the white wheat flour and I used 1tsp of cinnimon instead of the 1 1/4 tsp.
And I didn’t add the sauce.

52 happy herbivore November 27, 2010 at 7:12 am

I just made these as a post-thanksgiving breakfast treat. I ended up needing quite a lot of extra soymilk (I’d estimate just shy of 3 tbsp) but otherwise, the recipe worked great for me. I also made “drop biscuits” as I’m too lazy to bother will rolling out any sort of dough. My family definitely needed the sugar icing to go with them (perhaps we are all just sugar addicts) but agreat recipe for leftover pumpkin.

53 Jen November 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

Yum. Came across this recipe today and decided to use up some leftover vegan pumpkin pie filling. Doubled the recipe since I had a cup and used a mix of dried cranberries and dried apples. Mine were very spicy, since the pie filling had spices plus I added the ones in the recipe. Topped them with a bit of demera sugar. Still not super sweet but very tasty. Thanks!

54 Kate V December 2, 2010 at 10:03 am

Oh, my dear goodness! I’m going to be making these today!!!!

55 Allison December 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

I’m definitely going to be trying these! They sound like a super treat for us (a trying-to-be-former-fatty and a diabetic)! Thanks!

56 Lori December 6, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Soooo yummy! I subbed cherry Craisins for the raisins and topped them before baking with coarse sugar and pumpkin pie spice. I left off the icing since I was feeling lazy. They got so crispy (but not burnt) on the bottom, and so floofy in the middle. Delicious!

57 Karen February 9, 2011 at 1:32 pm

My boyfriend (who claims he can’t bake) made these last night to use up some leftover canned pumpkin we had in the fridge. We had them with earth balance and blackberry preserves. Yum and thank you!

58 Suzie Carlson October 9, 2011 at 10:56 am

I am SO going to make these!! I have already made several batches of your recent recipe: Banana Walnut Date Muffins, and I’m ADDICTED to them!! In fact, I decided that those shouldn’t really be called muffins. So I crossed out the word ‘muffin’, and wrote Banana Walnut Date Mini Bread Loaves! Cut in half, spread on a little Earth Balance, only because there’s no fat in the recipe, so I indulged in the fat ;-) and it tastes like the old fashioned banana bread my neighbor used to make and bring to church potlucks!! I need to buy some dairy-free cream cheese to spread on it, then I’ll really be in heaven!! I also plan on using a mini muffin tin to make another batch of them, and call them Banana Walnut Date Mini Bread Bites!!
Can’t wait to do the same for this Pumpkin recipe….ohhhh I’m taking a trip to the neighbor’s farm stand and gettin’ me some pie pumpkins today!!!
Thanks so much for the recipes!!!!

59 Lucy October 9, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Just made these for Canadian Thanksgiving. Love them!

We were wondering if we made them bigger – say for instance to get 6 total from the dought – any idea how long we’d have to bake them?

Thanks for everything! Love your blog.

60 SusanV October 10, 2011 at 7:22 am

I’ve never tried making them that big. You’d have to experiment to see how big you could make them and not have them burn on the outside before they cook on the inside.

61 Alyssa October 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I just made these. They smell fantastic. But I wonder whether I did something wrong. They are flat, and the color is not at all the same–very light. The tops did not seem to want to brown. They are a bit hard, too. The only thing I did differently was use allspice in place of the ground cloves. They still taste good though!! Any feedback about what might have gone wrong would be so greatly appreciated, as I have lots more pumpkin and would like to try the recipe again. Alyssa

62 SusanV October 21, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I’m sorry they didn’t come out right. I really don’t know why they didn’t brown or rise or why they’re hard. The rising is controlled by the baking powder and soda, so is it possible that one of them was old or something? Mine were brownish just because of the pumpkin, so im not sure what was up with yours. I hope they were edible, though!

63 emma October 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm

hey! just an fyi, i made them with wholewheat spelt flour, and they worked great! for anyone out there who is wheat-free its a great substitute.

64 Sophie January 1, 2012 at 4:28 am

MMMMMM,…these vegan pumpkin & raisin biscuits were ooh so delightful!
I already have made them like your original recipe & the 2nd time I used dried cranberries instead of the raisins!

You have a very cool foodblog! :)
Many greetings from a foodie from Belgium! ;)

65 Phoebe Wise April 15, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I made these with the drop biscuit method and patted them to the desired thickness with my finger tips. This makes for a more tender biscuit than rolling them out. Also, I used non-stick liners to avoid oiling the pans.

66 Neil May 31, 2012 at 8:23 am

Hi there, just made these this morning but replaced pumpkin with zucchini & the soy milk with my home made oat milk.
Turned out wonderfully; more like, what we call in England, a scone.

67 Veronica June 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I totally agree with you Neil, i tried it with zuchinni. Having just recently discovered the world of vegan fat free cooking I’m totally inspired by this website and all the additional comments really help! Would love to learn how to make oat milk it sounds delicious please share?

68 Sheila June 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

These are way too good. Made a batch this morning and have already eaten three of them. This is definitely not something I will be able to make often if I want to watch my waisteline. Thank you for a wonderful tasting, healthy recipe. My house smells wonderful from all the spices.

69 Jen July 10, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I made these today with sweet potato and they are amazing!! Thank you so much for making the low fat vegan lifestyle easy and delicious!

70 trish November 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I can’t seem to find the “print” button for this recipe though I’ve found it easily on others. Thanks

71 Susan Voisin November 20, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Trish, for some reason, it’s missing. Give me a few minutes and ill add it for you. Thanks for letting me know!

72 Barb M January 17, 2013 at 7:33 pm

When you click the link to Cindalou’s Kitchen recipe in this article you are sent to her website but her site contains malware (a virus) that will infect your computer. Google stopped me from going to the site before my computer got infected. You may want to let Cindalou know about this.

73 Susan Voisin January 17, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Thanks. I’ve removed that link.

74 Nikhita April 19, 2013 at 5:46 am

I made these for breakfast and they were amazing, i topped them with lots of sucanet/earth balance caramel and they were delicious! I’m thinking of substuting other mashed foods in for pumpkin like sweet potato… mmm

75 Carry October 27, 2013 at 11:14 am

These were excellent. We served them with spoonfuls of homemade apple butter. Yum!

76 Nancy July 23, 2014 at 10:40 am

I love this recipe! It has replaced my favorite scone recipe.

77 Fiona September 2, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I tried making this recipe today as I wanted to use up my leftover pumpkin, and it turned out great with the combination of jam! The only two problems I had with the biscuits was that I might have cooked them for too long as they were a bit too hard for my liking and that I had to add a little more soya milk to the mixture. (Probably because they weren’t as thick as yours) Anyways, I’m going to have one for breakfast tomorrow with maple syrup and maybe with some peanut butter!

78 Lindsay October 24, 2014 at 9:06 pm

hey! :) thanks for the recipe. Could these be made gluten free as well?

79 April October 30, 2014 at 10:20 am

These came out awesome, reminiscent of my grandmothers drop biscuts. I added a tablespoon of agave and 2 tablespoons of Earth Balance unsweet soy milk then just made them drop biscut style. i ate them with a little agave. LOVE Them.