Saintly Black and Gold Salsa

by on February 7, 2010

Saintly Black and Gold Salsa

I don’t usually write about the Superbowl. Heck, I wouldn’t usually even know it’s going on, but this year it is a Very Big Deal around here. After 43 years, the Saints have made it into their first Superbowl, so there’s about 43 years worth of celebrating to do, and if there’s one thing New Orleans does better than anyone else, it’s celebrate.

That celebratory spirit can be felt even as far away as Jackson. We’ll be partying with our friends S and J, who were so confident that the Saints would make it to the big game that they gave us this enormous black and gold, handmade platter for Christmas (along with a not-so-subtle hint that they’d like to see it on the blog!) I’m bringing it to their house filled with three Superbowl dips: Who Dat Hummus, Geaux Guacamole, and this tomatoless salsa with spicy Louisiana flavors. Geaux Saints!

Saintly Black and Gold Salsa

1 Jess - Healthy Exposures February 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm

This looks really good – love the mixture of black beans and corn. I'd like to make it for a wrap filling!

2 Tanya February 7, 2010 at 2:13 pm

That looks really good…..will have to make it another time, since I'm already making vegan bean chili for the game-watching. I've never watched a Superbowl, but since I'm in NOLA, I must :) Who Dat!

3 Anonymous February 7, 2010 at 3:09 pm

CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE THIS TONIGHT! WHO DAT!?

4 Marcia February 7, 2010 at 4:53 pm

You say black and gold, and I say Steelers, who were the champs last year.

So maybe this is the Saints' year.

5 Michal February 7, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Looks yummy to me!

6 myrecessionkitchen February 7, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I was unexpectedly invited to a dinner tonight, wondering what to contribute when I saw your posting. This is perfect, so I just made a batch. I did replace the vinegar and water with the juice from a lime. Since I'm allergic to peppers, I replaced them with plum tomatoes. It's wonderful, hanks for the last minute save!

7 Captain February 7, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Well, if you like this salsa try my garlic salsa.

8 CB February 7, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Congratulations! Geaux Saints!

9 Fig and Cherry February 8, 2010 at 5:18 am

I love the contrast of colours!

10 Mary February 8, 2010 at 9:29 am

Wooooo! Yeah Saints! Awesome game, and awesome salsa. I'm sure your party was a lot of fun!

11 Elessar February 8, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Black beans. Roasted corn (pan toasted quick on hot pan). Chilies and onions…you have me cryin'! This is so close to my ideas ..Susan…thank you given me a script-ready alternate my own tomato-based salsa (which is a..oh..never mind). And how nice that the New Orleans Saints won a game wherein heavily armoured-men mud wrestle and get paid a *LOT* of money. I would rather eat/cook with youse guys and gals. xx.

12 Anonymous February 8, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Yum!! It looks so good! Who dat!

13 blessedmama February 8, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Salsa? I'll have to give it a go!

14 Carol Tufts February 8, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Wow! Terrific idea! I ,like you, was interested in the SuperBowl for the first time in years. I made baked chicken wings lightly brushed with olive oil and salt and pepper served with hot sauce, hot artichoke dip, chilled shrimp and a chopped salad. We had a great time!

Carol

15 Thomas February 9, 2010 at 11:23 am

WHO DAT??? :)

16 Levinson Axelrod February 10, 2010 at 11:26 am

Wonderful! Wish I had thought of this a few days ago.

17 Charlottes Vegetarian Web February 10, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I can guarantee that is a great meal. I made that with a friend inside a wrap. We used sour cream which really helped to moisten the consistency ( I am only vegetarian). Is there a vegan alternative to sour cream? I am fairly new to being vegetarian and I am learning more and more about being vegan. By the way, it is a great shot. I love the contrast between the yellow and black.

18 HealthJunkie February 10, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Susan,
Really like your blog and I visit it often. Wanted to invite you to check out my blog. It's all about health and nutrition and the exploration of food.

19 Heather Loves Healthy Vegan Recipes February 10, 2010 at 8:00 pm

This was delicious! I used aduki beans, cause I had them on hand. Hey Charlotte, you could get a ripe avocado and mash it up (maybe with a bit of lemon juice) to get a creamy consistency instead of sour cream. It's a bit different, but would be really yummy. I know this is a fat free site, but avocado is a really healthy fatty food for people who want to keep their brains in top shape.

20 McKenzie Manning February 11, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I just came upon this blog two days ago so I missed making this for the game. But the picture looked so delicious I whipped it up anyway and it was amazing! I didn't want to make a huge serving so I lessened the amount of ingredients and I did not add too much Creole seasoning but it was great. I served it to a few of my friends and it was a hit!

Thank you for the recipe!

21 Lori February 12, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Congrats to your team, Susan! This looks great – the Creole seasoning is appropriate. :) I like the idea of the red wine vinegar. I'll make this for my next writers group meeting.

22 Wine Reviews February 13, 2010 at 2:22 am

Very colorful and delicious looking. I love off the wall salsa recipe's Cheers!

23 Maria February 25, 2010 at 1:05 pm

This looks great! In a few days, I"ll be traveling to New Mexico where I hope to try salsas like this. Great food blog!

{ 1 trackback }