Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Chickpeas

by on January 15, 2011

Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Chickpeas

Spaghetti squash can be a dieter’s best friend if you remember three things: 1) It doesn’t taste like pasta, 2) It doesn’t interact with sauce like pasta, and 3) It doesn’t taste like pasta.  Okay, I know that’s actually two points, but the first bears repeating.  Spaghetti squash tastes like–surprise!–squash, and if you sit down to a plate of it expecting to bite into a forkful of angel hair, you’re going to be disappointed.  But if you’re expecting lightly sweet squashy flavor in fun-to-eat strands of gold, you’ll love spaghetti squash in general and this recipe in particular.

Besides tasting like squash, spaghetti squash has the texture of squash.  Though its strands resemble thin noodles, it doesn’t have the starchiness of pasta so sauces don’t cling to it.  That means that you don’t want to douse it with lots of sauce because the sauce tends to sink into a puddle underneath the “pasta.”  Using just enough sauce to spread the herbs and seasonings through the golden strands is the key to working with spaghetti squash.

The lack of starchiness does have one huge benefit, which is why I mentioned the D-word above: On almost any diet plan, from Eat to Live to Weight Watchers to South Beach, spaghetti squash is considered a non-starchy or “free” vegetable.  Many of us start the year off trying to adhere to specific diets, and this recipe is a light and healthy option that should fit easily into any of them.

Roasted Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti squash is much easier to cut if you roast it first.

I like the flavor of roasted spaghetti squash much better than steamed, but I was using an older squash that was so hard to cut that I was in danger of losing a finger if I kept trying.  So rather than cut it in half to bake, I pierced it several times with a metal skewer and put it in the oven whole.  It was much easier to cut after roasting, and it still had that smoky-sweet roasted flavor.  If I had thought about it, I would have put a head of garlic in with it to roast, but I didn’t so I added fresh garlic later.  If you’d like, trim the top off of a head of garlic, wrap it in foil, and bake it along with the squash, checking after 45 minutes to see if it’s softened but not burned.  Squeeze out as many of the cloves as you like into the pan when you add the Brussels sprouts and mash them with a fork.

I have to also note that my daughter E, upon looking into the pan as I was finishing cooking, said, “Do I have to eat that?”  Our rule is that yes, she has to eat at least a small serving of whatever I cook.  (The poor kid is my involuntary recipe tester!)  I was really surprised when she finished her small serving and her salad and went back for a little more of each.  When questioned, she said that it was “actually pretty good.”  Then she poured herself a bowl of Fruitful O’s and soymilk.  Oh well, adolescents need their sugar and starch, I suppose.

Spaghetti Squash with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Chickpeas

Spaghetti Squash Take Over the Blogs:

1 VeggieGirl January 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Oooh this sounds delicious!

2 Tiffany January 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm

This dish sounds wonderful! The photos are lovely, too. Thanks for sharing.

3 Nancy January 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Just reading the description made my mouth water! I didn’t even know I could roast a spaghetti squash without cutting it open first! I will be trying this recipe before the month is out, believe me!

4 Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm

This looks so yummy. Anything with brussels sprouts and chick peas gets my vote!

5 Moonwatcher January 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Susan,

I am so excited to learn that I can just prick some vents in the spaghetti squash and roast it whole with the same results as laboring to cut it in half–this makes my hands very happy! I would eat it more often, but it is so hard to cut if for me that I often avoid it. The whole recipe sounds great! Thanks!

And I laughed at the cereal. That was my son in his teen years. Big feed bags of often “colorful” serial and soy milk. You brought back some fun memories.

xo

6 SusanV January 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm

After I cooked it that way, I found some recipes online where the squash was baked without any piercing at all. I was too afraid to do that because I was leaving it cooking in the oven while I was gone briefly, and I didn’t want to come home to find it had exploded! So you may not even have to take the trouble to pierce it, though I found that a metal skewer went right through it very easily.

Glad to bring back some memories! E never used to like cereal, but now that I have some of the colorful kind in the house, she’s picked up the habit. Her teenage male cousins seem to live on cereal. :-)

7 Jenny January 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm

This look delicious (and healthy)! Definitely on my list to make, thanks for sharing =)

8 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 15, 2011 at 2:57 pm

That looks and sounds so good! I hardly ever get spaghetti squash anymore now that I use my spiralizer so much.

9 Georgia January 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm

This sounds wonderful. I love anything with chickpeas, lemon, and garlic, and now that I know I could roast the squash whole, I might bring it back into the rotation. I always liked it, and my sometimes picky husband did too, but it always seemed like too much trouble (and danger) to cut it in half first.

10 Angela January 15, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Oh wow! I just bought every ingredient for this recipe by complete coincidence yesterday… that is, if you BELIEVE in coincidences. It’s no accident. I can’t wait to try this TONIGHT!

11 Angela January 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm

OK, we just ate this. I would absolutely recommend this recipe. It is delicious. It is simple to make. It is a nice change of pace. The textures of the three main ingredients go very well together. I threw the brussel sprouts into the oven 15 minutes before the spaghetti squash was done and it worked out perfectly. You can also cut the cooking time by 15 minutes on the spaghetti squash by cutting it in half lengthwise, face down and then roasting it. Of course, I realize Susan is using her toaster oven for this feat, so it would not be possible for her to do this. :-) Thanks Susan… another smash hit!

12 SusanV January 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Thanks for your review. I’m so glad you liked it!

13 bagwasher January 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm

This looks like a great recipe. Did you roast the squash and brussel sprouts it in your toaster oven?

14 SusanV January 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Yes, I did! The squash barely fit in there vertically, which is probably why it got so brown.

15 Sonja Lovas January 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I love the idea of roasting before cutting. I have always had difficulty cutting that squash! What a great combination I will definitely add this to my menu this week! Thanks for sharing.

16 Karina January 15, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Susan, this spaghetti squash recipe with Brussels sprouts looks beyond. Absolutely delicious – and so healthy. Brilliant pairing!

17 Leslie Paquette January 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I know what I’ll be making for dinner tomorrow night!! Spaghetti squash, brussels sprouts and chickpeas are 3 of my favorite foods. I usually eat spaghetti squash plain or with a veggie red sauce. Thanks for the great recipe idea.

18 Leslie January 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm

This recipe was absolutely delicious!! Great combo of ingredients and I really enjoyed the lemony flavor. My husband usually won’t eat chickpeas but said he give it a try. He didn’t pick a single one out while eating it and said they tasted a lot better heated than they do chilled. Go figure. I love chickpeas anyway so it never occured to me he might like them if they were served warm. Thanks again, I’m looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow.

19 filipinoglobalpost January 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Useful blog.
It looks delicious.
Thanks for sharing.

20 Allana January 15, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Coincidence? It was just yesterday I was wondering how I should prepare the spaghetti squash that has taken up residence in my refrigerator, then your recipe appeared in my inbox this evening :)

This looks amazing; especially since it calls for two of my favorite ingredients; chickpeas and Brussels sprouts. Going to try this one tomorrow for dinner.

How brilliant! Never thought of roasting the entire squash before. Even to cut it in half prior to roasting can be a task…this seems waay easier!

Tried many of your recipes before, and they have always been delightful! I’m sure this is going to be a winner as well! Thanks for sharing another creative and healthy recipe.

Best of health,

Allana

21 FoodFeud January 16, 2011 at 7:41 am

Hehe, not kid-friendly, eh? More for me! If I do try this, I’ll be sure to throw some garlic in.
I actually like a lot of squash meals with pasta sauce; even cubed butternut with some sauce on top is really nice. Speaking of which, I hear you on the dangers of cutting open a squash! I was holding my breath the entire time the other night as I chopped it open.

22 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 16, 2011 at 11:28 am

Yum! Good thing I have a spaghetti squash in the pantry! I can’t wait to try this, especially since most of my spaghetti squash endeavors have been TOTAL flops;)

23 Tammy Ardolf January 16, 2011 at 12:34 pm

No brussel sprouts but I do have a head of cauliflower from my produce bin. I am going to roast it and throw it into the pot.

Thanks!

24 Lisa @simplifying the simple life January 17, 2011 at 9:07 am

This looks amazing! What a great idea to roast the squash first! I’ve been obsessed with Brussels sprouts lately, so I must give this a try…thanks!

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 17, 2011 at 11:41 am

Your description (and warning) of spag. squash made me giggle. You have such a way with words! I agree that it is so delicious even if not exactly like pasta!

26 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm

YEAH! I love Spaghetti Squash! I’ve been looking for some new ideas to have some fun with it, and you were like an answer to my prayers. Thanks!

27 April at Kitchen-Blender-Reviews January 17, 2011 at 8:23 pm

This looks like a great dish. Nice pics. I have never roasted a whole spaghetti squash before. One year it came up as a volunteer in our garden and we loved it! We had a crazy amount that to harvest, so I got creative as well.

The easiest way I found was to place it in a pressure cooker on a canning ring (to keep in off the bottom), stem side down. You may need to trim some stem to get it to stand up. Add just a bit of water, then bring it up to pressure and cut if off. Let it cool on its own and it is much easier to cut into. Perfect every time.

28 MachelleH January 17, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Susan, I have 3 boxes of winter squash from our CSA and a husband that doesn’t like winter squash! This was a rare winner among the recipes I have been trying out. Thanks for the success!

29 Jamie @ thrifty veggie mama January 18, 2011 at 10:11 am

Sounds delicious! I will have to try it!

30 helena January 18, 2011 at 10:46 am

this recipe was wonderful! will make again soon!

31 Cara January 18, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I totally agree with you – spaghetti squash is utterly delicious in its own right. This sounds like a wonderful preparation to play on it’s sweet flavors.

32 Nancy January 19, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I am trying this out for lunch. So excited!

33 Craig January 19, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Delicious recipe, although the steaming process bleeds the colour out of the sprouts, and they taste good just roasted. I might simply throw them in at the end next time. Either way, I’ll definitely be eating Brussels sprouts more often.

34 Caitlin January 19, 2011 at 10:31 pm

i love subbing spaghetti squash for pasta! this looks soo yummy. i’ll definitely be making it soon!

35 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher January 20, 2011 at 9:06 am

Thank you for clarifying, Susan. The first time I had spaghetti squash recently I was disappointed because well, I wanted…PASTA.

36 Lizabet January 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm

This was very tasty with great balance of flavors. My husband deemed it a “keeper.” It’s tad bit labor intensive (or I’m just slow and inefficient) but well worth the effort.

37 braelin January 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm

This looks wonderful— my kind of recipe! Thanks for posting.

Braelin

38 Kay January 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Hi there :) I made this for dinner tonight, but without the chickpeas. Anyhoo, it was delicious! I had never roasted a spaghetti squash before, nor brussels sprouts, and so was pleasantly surprised by both….they looked so beautiful fresh out the oven that I was almost hesitant to mix them together, wanting instead to enjoy each in it’s own roasty glory. But I had resolved to try a new recipe, so I went ahead and added the broth, onion, basil, pepper flakes. Love. While it was a touch spicy, I enjoyed it a lot. I’ll just make it milder next time, and believe me there will be a next time.

39 Kruzon January 20, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Saphetti squash is so vesatile and easy to work with. Love it.

40 Michele January 21, 2011 at 11:11 am

This was a great, simple recipe. I added some diced avacado for another layer of flavor!

41 Kristi Link January 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

I made this last night and it was awesome! Very delicious and easy! I roasted the spaghetti squash the night before and had it waiting in the fridge. When I got it going in the skillet, I had time to make szechuan green beans (modified for less spice, lower salt and no added oil). I had brown rice that had cooked in the crock pot during the day on the side which little lulu grabbed up by the hands-full, alternating with the beans. She was a very happy little girl!

42 Claire January 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm

i made this for dinner and loved it. great flavor and great combination of textures.

43 Abbeygirl January 23, 2011 at 7:05 pm

This was SO good!! We like things “tangy”. This was wonderful. I have never roasted a spaghetti squash or brussel sprouts before. Matter of fact, I thought I disliked brussel sprouts. I too used a toaster oven, and my squash filled the hole thing. Then when it was done cooking and while it was cooling I cooked the brussel sprouts. They turned out perfectly. This is a recipe that will be made again and again. Thanks for sharing.

44 Sara January 23, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I just made this tonight, with asparagus and sweet peas because I have never liked brussels sprouts. It is amazing! Sweet and peppery in all the right places. Also, I have never roasted spaghetti squash before because I hate to cut it (I usually microwave it), but this came out tasting so good, I may have to get more!

(I will have to work on roasting asparagus though, it could have gotten more caramelized.)

45 Emily January 23, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I made this today and it was yummy! I have made a few of your dishes off your blog and your recipes and instructions always seem to turn out really well. We have some new family favorites! Thank you for sharing!

46 Tricia January 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm

My husband and I cook a bunch of recipes on the weekends so we are prepared for the week, and I made this last night. I had one bite and thought it was only so-so, but I reheated it for lunch today and WOW!!! I think letting the lemon juice and chili flakes marinate in the fridge overnight really helped the flavors come out more clearly. It also made a huge portion, which I appreciate as I have been cutting my calories since the new year. Thanks for this!

47 T January 24, 2011 at 10:10 am

Delicious! I couldn’t bring myself to eat brussel sprouts, so I roasted cauliflower and zucchini instead and added that. So good!

48 Amy January 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I am eating this right now, with a shot or two of hot sauce. I don’t love chickpeas, so I’m thinking about another bean that I could work into this mix, maybe adzuki?

49 Cassi January 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Looks absolutely delicious! And I love roasted brussel sprouts. I didn’t think a lot of people grilled their sprouts, but I’ve seen several blog posts about that, so it must be more common than I thought.

50 Tara January 27, 2011 at 8:30 am

This dish is delicious! My boyfriend and I recently made it, chickpeas and brussell sprouts are some of our favorites. We added a few more veggies and made a meal out of it. I love your blog!

51 Kelly January 27, 2011 at 5:11 pm

My mouth is watering. I really want to make this for dinner.

How big a squash did you use?

52 SusanV January 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I didn’t weigh it beforehand, but I would say that it was medium to large.

53 Nancy January 31, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Made this for lunch today. Yummy and filling! Earthy and appetizing! I will be making it again.

I will probably cook the squash in the microwave the next time to see if it makes any difference in taste and texture. Also, I think I will add another half can of chickpeas next time, too. My daughter used balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice and said it was wonderful that way.

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

54 Destini February 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I have been wanting to try spaghetti squash forever! I love brussels sprouts and chickpeas so i am excited to try this!!!

55 Nicci (NiftyEats) February 7, 2011 at 12:06 am

I’m still not sure why I haven’t tried spaghetti squash, but I need too. This looks delicious.

56 Julie February 8, 2011 at 11:48 am

I made this last night and it was amazing – thanks again for another fabulous recipe!!

57 Jess February 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm

This was good! I didn’t have an hour to roast the squash, so I just microwaved it whole for 15 minutes while the brussels sprouts cooked in the toaster oven. It turned out great, and saved me loads of time.

The flavor was very onion-y, so for those who don’t love onion, I recommend using half an onion and adding 4 or 8oz of sliced mushrooms instead.

Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

58 Sheila February 17, 2011 at 6:07 pm

This was so yummy! The family really enjoyed it ,Even though Brussels sprout are not loved ( I love’em).Very filling and not to heavy.Thank you.

59 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm

love these ideas for non pasta, pasta. My parents always grew spaghetti squash!

60 milly March 4, 2011 at 4:34 am

dont like chick peas,can i use black eye peas?

61 Mel March 6, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I’m keen to try this, although I only have summer squash. Do you think it would be an ok substitute for the spaghetti squash?

62 SusanV March 6, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I think it would be different, but delicious. You can just thinly slice the raw squash and add it as you would the spaghetti squash. Or, if you have a spiral slicer or a mandolin, you could shred the squash for a texture much like spaghetti squash. If you try, please let me know your results.

63 Mel March 7, 2011 at 4:40 am

Thanks! Will do… :)

64 Samantha March 28, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I was out of chickpeas :( so rather than trek to the store, I added mushrooms and the squash seeds (toasted). And, of course, il sangue Calabrese demanded more red pepper flakes! Very good with my improvisations- will try again with the chickpeas, which I love dearly! Thanks!

65 KathyinMD April 1, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Susan, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made this since printing it out a couple of months ago. I’ve pretty much lived on it while struggling with pancreas issues. Thank you so much for this wonderful, tasty dish and the new squash cooking technique!

66 Katie April 22, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Delicious recipe. What do you think about freezing it?

Thanks!

67 Caiti August 29, 2011 at 12:37 pm

This sounds like pure love.

68 Allison September 30, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I made this tonight in my fall/winter resolution to prepare at some point each of the odd squashes i have never prepared before in the produce section of our local upscale whole-foodsy like market. #1 on my list was spaghetti squash and chose this recipe! It was amazing! I think spaghetti squash will top the list of “most fun” squash to prepare especially when you scoop out the strands!

69 Carolyn October 6, 2011 at 7:57 pm

This was perfect! Brussels Sprouts were so yummy! My favorite recipe thus far.

70 Carolyn Holme January 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm

This is delicious!! Thank you again. Your recipes are easy and the I can find the ingredients!

71 Robyn February 7, 2012 at 11:19 am

Thanks for posting this! I tried it last night and I love it! I used cayenne instead of red pepper flakes and had way too much squash, so I made a supplement dish of squash, mushrooms, and cabbage.

This was delicious, thank you for the advise!

72 Sharon Mitchel February 24, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Susan, This is a wonderful way to cook spaghetti squash! Sooooo easy! I’ll never struggle to cut one in half again before roasting! THANK YOU!

The dish was very good. I had a little over a pound of brussels sprouts so used them all which was fine. I really should have let them roast just a bit longer. This made plenty for the two of us for dinner with leftovers for another meal!

A real winner!

73 Kristina April 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Going to try this one tonight.

74 Melissa July 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I am going to make this for dinner tonight! I’ll let you know how it comes out!

75 Melissa July 18, 2012 at 2:07 pm

DELISH!!!!

76 Amber August 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Never eaten spaghetti squash before. Was hesitant because cooking all squash seems very intimidating to me but this recipe seemed simple enough. I roasted the squash and tried it for the first time by itself before I added it to the mix. BEHOLD!!! spaghetti squah is delicious!!!! BY ITSELF!! The end result of this recipe is also amazing :) Very comforting!

77 Radhika Sarohia October 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Made kind of an improvised version of this since I was missing the brussel sprouts. I also didn’t have enough time to fire up the oven so I stuck the squash in the microwave beforehand instead, which worked out fine. Will be making this again, I’d never had spaghetti squash before and it is delicious. Thanks for the recipe

78 TC October 31, 2012 at 6:12 am

Susan,
I tried this spaghetti squash recipe with Brussels sprouts and it was beyond absolutely delicious – I would absolutely recommend this recipe.
thanks for sharing =)
TC

79 Alexandra January 8, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I am in the process of making this tonight. I have never cooked a spaghetti squash before, so didn’t realize I had not roasted it long enough until I ate some. I added some water to the pot, put the lid on, and am hoping that will cook it the rest of the way. Will post with my thoughts on taste after I try it fully cooked!

80 Toby January 9, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Made this tonight…highly recommend! This is wonderful!

81 Sara February 6, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I made this for dinner tonight. I roasted my squash in advance, so it was a really quick dinner. I love the mix of textures, too, and it’s simplicity. I didn’t have stock, so I used white wine. Added some fresh chopped herbs and served with freshly grated Parmesan and lemon wedges. It was absolutely delicious!

82 Anne D. April 10, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I am about ready to pull the squash and brussel sprouts out of the oven and realized your next step says to cook the onion in a non-stick skillet . No oil needed? I don’t use non-stick cookware and don’t know if that is one of the benefits to using a non-stick pan . So I will spritz my pan with some olive oil and cook away. Can’t wait to try this!

83 MaryBeth Smith November 16, 2013 at 8:17 pm

This was terrific! I had a very large but fresh spaghetti squash, so I did slice it in half before roasting — although I had a bit of an Excalibur moment doing so. The squash was so large that I only used half of it. As I added it to the brussels sprouts mixture, the squash was looking like it would overwhelm the whole dish. One normal sized spaghetti squash would have been fine.
I also had a lot of fresh basil, so used between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of that. It worked really well. The almonds were a nice touch.
The dish was delicious, and I am thrilled that it is Eat to Live friendly. It made a TON. I’m looking forward to finishing it off for lunches this week.
If you like things pretty spicy (as we do), a bit of sriracha at serving time tastes fantastic. This is now my favorite spaghetti squash recipe.

84 Julie December 8, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Made this tonight without basil b/c oops! I was out! Still so delicious!! If I hadn’t cooked it myself I’d have sworn it had butter/butter sub in it b/c of the flavor.

85 Connie January 19, 2014 at 6:22 pm

This recipe is so yummy, made it today and we really enjoyed it and are looking forward to leftovers tomorrow. What a great veggie combination.

86 nit January 23, 2014 at 8:53 pm

This came out bland and dissatisfying.

For some reason the squash needed to cook for a half hour longer, even though I poked about 20 holes deep into the squash. Also, I used garlic powder instead of cloves and I think that probably killed the dish. Either way, not making it again.

87 s hamilton January 27, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Hi I am just looking at your recepie, it looks great just one thing, what is a spaghetti squash, does it go by a different name in some countries like other veg I don’t seem to have come across it, thanks Steven.

88 Susan Voisin January 27, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I don’t know. My sense is that it is a relatively recent North American type of squash, so it may not exist in your country. Here’s a link to a very long article with lots of info about its history, including some names for it in other languages: http://polyglotveg.blogspot.com/2007/04/spaghetti-squash.html

89 Lisa February 5, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Just made this, and it turned out well. Did not add the almonds but am contemplating some toasted pine nuts, that I have on hand. Thanks for another great recipe.

90 Aimee February 23, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Eating this now and it’s not love :( I didn’t have any lemon juice, is that a make or break ingredient? I feel like its just bland. I am not the best cook so I am not sure what to add to make it better. I really wanted to love it.

91 Esther J April 12, 2014 at 3:54 pm

First time I’ve had spaghetti squash, first time I prepared it–and the results were delicious!

I made all kinds of substitutes though (vegetable substitutes mostly)–for the brussels, I used cauliflower and spinach (and they were frozen and not roasted); for the chickpeas, leftover lentils; and for the lemon juice, lime. With all that, it turned out to be a very nice dish for my tastes.

And the squash is so very yummy! I had to stop myself from eating it just out of the oven. Once, I saw a very renown cooking and household guru and business mogul prepare it on one of her shows, and all I can remember is the amount of olive oil she doused it in. LOADS of it. I recall thinking, “She could fry a whole catfish in all that oil!” Given that, I thought it would be bland. But far from it, it has a nice flavor with sweet tones. So many possibilities for its use.

Thanks for this introductory recipe, Susan. I’ll be happily trying out others.

92 Molly October 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm

I made this for supper today and I guess I was expecting more flavor. I’d be interested in any suggestions for making this dish a little bit more flavorful. I doubled the lemon and basil for more of a kick.