Hearty One-Pot Meal Miso Soup

by on September 19, 2011

Hearty Miso Soup
Usually I serve miso soup as part of our “sushi meal.” I make or buy vegetable sushi rolls, cook some edamame, toss some green leafies with some tahini dressing, and make a simple miso soup. On a recent rushed weeknight, I decided to skip all the separate dishes and just throw everything into the soup.

If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you know that I’m a fan of one-pot meals. Many of my soups and stews (and even some of my casseroles) contain enough protein, vegetables, and starch to be nutritious and filling meals all on their own. On nights when I’m too rushed or tired to bother making several dishes, I check the fridge for what I have–or what’s been in there the longest–and figure out a way to cook it all together and make it come out tasting like a lot of thought and planning went into it–without dirtying every pot in the kitchen.

If you’re transitioning to a vegan diet and feel overwhelmed, give one-pot cooking a try. Even if you’re a seasoned vegan cook, you can get supper on the table without a lot of fuss (and make clean-up a breeze) by cooking a one-pot meal every now and then. To make one-pot recipes easy to find, I’ve created a new category in my Recipe Index called One Pot Meals. I’ll be going back through my older recipes adding dishes that fit, but you can speed things up. Please let me know in the comments:

Which of my recipes have you made as a one pot meal? And while you’re at it, what are some other one-pot meals that you love?

Hearty Miso Soup

1 Tiffany September 19, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’m a huge fan of miso soup and really like the sound of your hearty version of it. And it looks gorgeous. What a perfectly belly-pleasing meal!

2 Katie Cain September 19, 2011 at 11:35 am

I have miso soup for breakfast occasionally…nice idea to make it into a one-pot dinner. Such great ingredients in this soup and most are relatively easy to keep on hand, too. Your photo makes me want to make it tonight. :)

3 Mary Pomerantz September 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

Great recipe! I’m going to make it some time this week. I am also a lover of one pot meals. Unless I am entertaining, I see know reason to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I’ve tried many of your recipes and one in particular I remember is the “Berber Stew” recipe. I loved the recipe because you gave us a spice mix to use. Your recipe that I modified to make it “one dish” was your mini-quiche recipe. I bake it all in one 9×9 in pan instead of individual servings. Thanks for the inspiration!

4 Sue Bair September 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm

This looks so awesome. I think I know what dinner is tonight. Thanks!

5 Lois Gowen September 19, 2011 at 12:36 pm

That makes our mouth water. Just got back from the weekly marketing, but we are having miso soup next week. Thanks.

6 Katia September 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Thanks! One-pot meals are sooo handy. I love your idea of adding some wasabi. I often make miso soup, very yummy and very similar to yours, but i hadn’t thought of that! I’m sure it tastes delicious and i’ll make your version for lunch tomorrow. I’ll be adding some snippets of spring onion too. I agree, miso soup followed by vegan sushi (and finally some fresh lychees and a cup of Japanese sencha or jasmine organic green tea) is an ambrosial meal :)

7 janet @ the taste space September 19, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I am the queen of one-pot meals!! Some of your one-pot meals that I have liked are the Creamy Cashew kale and Chickpeas (no need for the quinoa to make a complete meal), African Pineapple Peanut Stew, and the North African Chickpea and Kale Soup.

A few others that I have bookmarked include the French Lentil and Portabella Stew and the Eggplant and Chickpea Curry.

My most recent favourite one-pot meal salad (if you use canned beans) was this:
Skillet-Toasted Corn, Tomato and Anasazi Bean Salad

This Brazilian Black Bean Soup is a lovely hearty soup, too (one-pot if using canned beans):

I am also fond of this completely inauthentic kitchari with quinoa and red lentils: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/quinoa-and-red-lentil-kitchari/

One-pot meals don’t always have to be soups or stews.. this is a simple roasted broccoli and chickpea dish: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/forty-clove-chickpeas-and-broccoli/

8 janet @ the taste space September 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Just thinking about it and your cashew kale is not one-pot since you have to puree the cashews! But it is still super tasty. ;)

9 js September 19, 2011 at 3:58 pm

It is if you buy cashew butter or make some ahead of time that you keep on hand. :)

10 Karmalily September 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I also love one-pot meals – primarily because I despise doing dishes!

11 Sarah H September 19, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Your food is so beautiful and inspiring I actually use your photographs as wallpaper on my laptop! Thank you for sharing all of your hard work with us! Your blog is one of my favorite resources for healthy living, especially if I’m in a rut. :)

12 Ginger September 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm

You can get 100% buckwheat soba noodles from Eden Organics, but they are pricey. I eat this soup all the time and absolutely love it.

13 moonwatcher September 19, 2011 at 4:03 pm

This looks awesome!! As you know, my kinda soup bowl! For those who need to be gluten free Eden does make soba noodles that are 100% buckwheat. They are pricey, about 7 bucks, but very good. I have treated myself to them now and then when I can find them. Here is a link:

Off the top of my head, your Mexican pumpkin soup has made me many a satisfying one pot meal. I usually make it with pureed winter squash, since I’m likely to have that frozen from the garden, and use multi-colored potatoes. I put salad greens or spinach in the bottom of a big soup bowl, ladle it in, and top with cilantro (or parsley if you can’t abide cilantro). That I’ve got my greens and several veggies and beans all in one bowl. It’s a great wintertime lunch or supper when there’s snow on the ground up here in the north country!

A note about the 100% buckwheat noodles: they produce a lot of “froth” as they start to cook, so if you use them, stand by and be ready to turn down the heat or take the lid off so you don’t have a frothy overflow. :)

Thanks for another great recipe!

xo

14 Blue September 19, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I usually do the same on ‘Sushi night’ ie. make a whole lot of little tasty morsals but it takes ages and I always end up eating after the family have finished theirs! This looks like something they will all love.

15 Joann September 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I love love love one-pot meals, and this one looks beautiful.

16 GetSkinnyGoVegan September 19, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Looks so wonderful & earthy! Love Wakame in soup…..Well, I try to!!! I do like it unless I think about it too too much. Miso Meals Rock!

17 Haley September 19, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Holy YUM, this looks amazing!! And I just might have everything on hand :) DINNER!!!

18 Michelle September 20, 2011 at 1:43 am

I make something very similar! It is fast and easy and fresh. I sometimes include seaweed and a huge spoonful of peanut butter. It’s so good!

19 Kavi September 20, 2011 at 2:43 am

I love this recipe! Its new for me & looks really beautiful!
Kavi | Edible Entertainment

20 danielle September 20, 2011 at 12:02 pm

this looks amazing! do you think i can use red miso?

21 SusanV September 20, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Sure! Start with a little less and add more to taste since it’s stronger.

22 Ninufar September 20, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Too funny – I made an almost-one-pot miso stew dealie tonight, too!

I tend to cook enough rice in my rice cooker for 3 or 4 meals, so that means most of my meals are effectively one-pot meals… I also dedicate one afternoon each weekend to slower vegetable prep, then I refrigerate or freeze the rest. Couldn’t do it every night.

So happy that you got to go to the convention, sounds like it was a wonderful time! Am slightly pouty that your upcoming book involvement is as photographer rather than as culinary mastermind… (I want YOUR book, so there! ;-)

It doesn’t help that somehow my taste buds and Ms. Atlas’ aren’t very aligned. I hope the book does very well anyway!

23 Fiona September 21, 2011 at 1:41 am

What a fantastic idea to do a section called One-Pot Meals! I love when you post one-pot recipes. My favorites have always been your soups. I’d love to see some one-pot meal soups that are cold for summer (even though I know it’s going into fall in the US now). This soup looks awesome and I had actually already bought the ingredients to make your other miso soup recipe you have posted but this looks so good I might wait til I go grocery shopping next and buy a few things from this recipe and combine them together. I will post when I try it!

24 Fiona September 22, 2011 at 4:49 am

Just had this for dinner and loved it! I always loved miso soup but rarely made it because I also tend to like cooking one meal that covers all the bases rather than a bunch of little ones. But with this recipe I think I will be enjoying miso soup a lot more now! Thank you for the ingenious idea! I used broccoli and 1.5 cups white mushrooms instead of carrots and bok choy. I love mushrooms so it was great to have a lot. I also used cubed silken tofu instead of edamame. (I made a miso soup in between this one and your other one.) I used 6 T miso (athough I will add more tomorrow when I eat it for lunch) and used only 10 cups water. I didn’t add seaweed because I can’t find it where I am. I can get nori though – do you know if I could break up little pieces of nori and get a similar result? Thanks again for the great recipe!

25 SusanV September 22, 2011 at 7:05 am

Aim so glad you liked it! I think nori will be fine. You can cut it into pieces or even powder it and add it to taste.

26 Josephine Royle September 21, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I’m really enjoying your website-I’m a newly converted vegan-following Dr. Esselstyn’s program. Do you have any suggestions for an egg-white substitute that I can use in veggie burgers or vegetable pancakes (spinach or zucchini) ? I was thinking of using applesauce as a binder but have not tried it yet. Thanks for your help.

27 SusanV September 21, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I would probably use corn starch. Just mix 2 tablespoons of corn starch with 2 tablespoons of water to replace one egg or egg white. There’s a list of other substitutes on this page: http://fatfreevegan.com/substitutes-and-techniques-for-fat-free-cooking/

28 Lani Muelrath September 21, 2011 at 4:03 pm

What a gorgeous picture – it reminds me of miso soup we ate every day last March in Palau at a Japanese restaurant. I can even smell it looking at your picture!

As a fellow FF gal, you are clever to remind people that the sesame oil is so strong flavored that the amount you’d use to flavor a pot is spread so far that it is a tiny molecule in a vast miso soup universe. Brava!

Lani Muelrath

29 Lani Teshima September 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

One quick tip when buying miso: In Japan, how salty the miso is seems to depend on its geographical origin. Miso from the Kanto area (where Tokyo is) generally tends to be redder and darker, while miso from the southwest regions (like Kyushu) are usually much lighter in color. In Japan, they are differentiated as “akamiso” (red miso) and “shiromiso” (white miso). Frankly, they are ALL brown, but akamiso is usually closer to a darker brown or brick brown color, while shiromiso is lighter, almost taupe or khaki. Generally, the white miso is MUCH milder and far less salty.

If you want to toss in some more ingredients, I’d pop in some grilled tofu cubes and some roasted corn kernels. The tofu would add a bit of protein, too.

I’ve actually never used miso soup for anything beyond soup by itself… This is a great idea. Typically, soba noodle bowls use a clear broth and I’ve never considered making it heartier this way. Thanks for the recipe.

30 Aline September 23, 2011 at 1:22 am

I made this yesterday, the only thing that I changed was using tofu instead of edamame, since I was totally out of it. And I use my own homemade shiro miso in it. It came out wonderful! Super easy to make, thanks for the great recipe

31 Rae September 25, 2011 at 3:16 am

Oh I love miso! Not a fan of noodles (because they look like worms and I’m weak to their mental powers!) but bok choy, sesame oil, and ginger, mmm! You’re speaking my language. Thanks for the recipe!

32 Corrin Radd September 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Made this tonight. Subbed chard greens for the bok choy and went a little easier on the wakame and much easier on the wasabi. Loved it. Thank you.

33 Leslie September 26, 2011 at 8:03 am

Hi Susan, I made this for dinner a few nights ago and it was fantastic. Only made a few minor changes: used swiss chard instead of bok choy, subbed cubed lite silken tofu for the edamame, used dried mushrooms and fresh mushrooms (I LOVE mushrooms!), and used only about half the amount of soba noodles. My husband loved it as well. Thanks for another delicious recipe. ~Leslie

34 maryeb September 26, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I made this over the weekend and it was wonderful. It’s even better the next day.
I cooked the noodles separately to keep them from getting soggy and just added them to each individual bowl. I had to sub green cabbage since I couldn’t find bok choy.
I’ll be making this again soon. Thanks for the great recipe.

35 Lori September 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I made this tonight for dinner. My husband loved it. Thanks so much for this recipe! It’s quick and simple.

36 L Dunn October 2, 2011 at 5:28 am

SusanV, this one pot Miso Soup is going to become one of my “I’m home late and I am hungry” meal. The recipe looks and sound AWESOME.

37 Liz October 5, 2011 at 6:29 am

Made this last night! It came together surprisingly fast and was super delicious! Thanks for another great recipe. :)

38 Jeannine Fay October 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Thank you for this. My kids slurped it up and asked for more. It was a hit, and I haven’t had one of those in a long time. I served it with a salad with carrot ginger dressing (http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/avocado-salad-with-carrot-ginger-dressing/) . In the dressing I just replaced the called for 1/4 cup oil with water and sure did not miss the oil on bit. Thanks again. Your website has been such a wonderful resource for me since I’ve gone vegan.

39 Lynne October 19, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Made this last night. I didn’t have any baby bok choi nor did the grocery store so I used chard and while I love mushroom, not a fan of shitake, so left them out also. I used way more miso than the recipe called for, BUT it was the best miso I have ever had and I lived in Japan for 5 years where miso was even served for breakfast
Thanks so much. This was awesome.

40 Carol @ The Not Quite Vegan October 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm

This looks great! I just recently bought and tried miso for the first time, and I loooove it. I can’t believe I am just now discovering it, almost 4 years into being a vegetarian. I’ll definitely have to try this one. I am all for the one-pot meal idea. Thanks!

41 Michelle B November 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Radishes are another awesome addition to hearty miso soups. Last summer I had some heirloom watermelon radishes from my CSA, which were fantastic in miso soup. I imagine Daikon would be good as well. Yum!

42 Diana J December 1, 2011 at 1:49 am

We really enjoyed this meal. I used napa cabbage in place of the bok choy with terrific results. I also increased the miso for more pronounced flavor and added green onion as garnish. Thank you for this simple and satisfying soup!

43 Cyndie December 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm

This Miso Soup looks wonderful! I am going to try it this weekend. I just have one question, what is wakame seaweed like and where do I find it? Is it dry like Nori? I have some of that.

44 Cyndie December 16, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Susan,

I just made a pot of your Hearty Miso Soup. It is wonderful! And that’s coming from someone who never liked Miso Soup at our local Japanese restaurant. I think your version is milder and it is so good. The only thing I did different is add Organic Extra Firm Tofu cut in small cubes. This will definitely be a regular at my house. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes. You have made my journey to vegan ever so much easier.

45 Jeanne's Daughter January 4, 2012 at 9:50 pm

This looks wonderful. I like the idea of using edamame as the protein source in a soup. I am going to try this. Here’s another one-pot stop soup I concocted last year. The cauliflower gives it a nice smooth texture. http://tinyurl.com/itsinthesoup

46 Jeanne's Daughter January 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I love to make curried cauliflower and chickpeas I found the recipe on epicurious, and it continues to wow vegetarians and meat-eaters alike! Here’s the link on epicurious: http://tinyurl.com/6nrgrv2.

47 Jeanne's Daughter January 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Just made the soup! It was fantastic. I used cabbage, carrots, shitake, and leeks because that’s what I had. The kids gobbled it up, and even tried the edamame. Thanks!

48 Liz January 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I just made your soup tonight! It was delicious (even the boyfriend liked it)!:) Hope you don’t mind, but I would love to share your blog and recipe on my website!

49 Susan Voisin January 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I’m so glad you liked it! I’m happy for you to share your own photos of the recipe and link to it on my blog. I prefer that you don’t republish the entire recipe unless you have adapted it in some way.

50 Katharina April 6, 2012 at 10:07 am

thank you so much for your effort and recipes! I’ve spent the better part of yesterday in your archives and put together meals for the easter days that are coming up.
I myself eat raw vegan, but my husband and two daughters are transitioning from a vegetarian diet to a vegan lifestyle (YAY! :) ), so I cook for them as to make the switch as easy and delicious as possible.

Your recipes come very very handy indeed… :)

I made the miso soup today and it fit perfectly as it has gotten colder again (hate German winter-not-wanting-to-make-way-for-spring season….). I added 2 T of genmai miso to make the broth a bit stronger, and my husband added some soy sauce to his bowl – transition mode also in sodium terms. ;)
I made it with carrots, fennel, broccoli and red bell pepper, it looked and smelled fantastic, and as my husband had 3 bowls of it I guess it must have tasted just as well. :)

Wishing you and your family a wonderful easter weekend!
Best, Katharina

51 Carrie June 5, 2012 at 1:06 am

I love your recipes and make them all the time. I am making this one tonight, and wonder how to do 1/2 tablespoon of the seaweed? I feel like you maybe mean 1/2 ounce?

Thank You!!

52 Susan Voisin June 5, 2012 at 7:28 am

No, I just crumble up 1/2 tablespoon (1 1/2 teaspoons) of the wakame because it is very fishy flavored. If you’d like to use more, you can, but 1/2 ounce would be a lot. Also, it expands when it cooks, so what looks like a little can turn into a lot!

53 Rae July 12, 2012 at 10:29 pm

We made this tonight–my first experience with miso. I’ve been loosely following Eat to Live for the last few months (I have yet to transition into no oil/no salt). We used the mildest miso (white, I believe, although it looked yellow). We didn’t have the wakame, so it was omitted, and I despise mushrooms, so those were omitted too. Without any added salt, it was basically like drinking hot water. I had to add a good tablespoon of tamari to my own bowl. Do you have any ideas? Perhaps a stronger miso should be used? Or is the wakame definitely required? Or maybe my tastebuds just aren’t accustomed to a low salt diet?

54 Susan Voisin July 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Adding more miso (which unfortunately means more salt) and using the wakame will definitely give it more flavor. Without the mushrooms and wakame, you lose about 90% of the flavor.

55 Sara December 1, 2012 at 9:45 pm

This was a big hit around our table – my 2yr old and 4 yr old ate it up! I used white miso so it was savory but still mild. Served it with little bowls of chopped green onion, purple cabbage and radish (that’s what was in the crisper, and it was lovely!). I used fresh mushrooms in the soup – a couple of shitake, and several baby bellas. Absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

56 LaurenV January 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I’ve made this one-pot miso soup at least 6 times in the last 3 months! As a newly adopted plant-based eater, I loved this recipe. The modifications I’ve made are to not use any oil, and instead of the soba noodles, I use either mung bean cellophane noodles, or my beloved shirataki! I can eat this all day long, and there have been many days that I do! Thank you for a wonderfully informative and fun site.

57 Lisa Magoulas April 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm

This looks very tasty. I just bought some miso paste, I think I’ll give this a try. Thanks

58 Clare September 27, 2013 at 9:43 am

Just made this for a warming lunch – it did just the job. I had to substitute a few things, rice noodles for soba, green beans and peas for edamame and brown miso for white, but it was still scrumptious, thanks for posting!

59 Sharon October 12, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Oh, mean, I want this right now! But, I have to watch both my sodium and potassium for high blood pressure and kidney disease. Is there any way to reduce these? That picture at the top is just killing me! :-)

60 Susan Voisin October 12, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I’m not sure where the potassium comes from, but the sodium is from the miso. If you can find low-sodium miso, that would help.

61 Caitlin October 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I love this recipe! Though, I did a few changes to make it my own. I didn’t use the same miso, I used a bold and smooth version, and instead of shiitake mushrooms, I added some fresh Enoki mushrooms as I served the soup. Here’s a pic of my version:

Also, side note, I’m not Vegan, nor am I Vegetarian. This recipe is great for anyone who enjoys delicious food.

62 Ruth November 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm

You asked about other one-pot meals we enjoy. John McDougall, in his STARCH SOLUTION book, has a recipe for Caribbean Rice which I have made twice and love it more each time. According to my husband’s nutrition softwear, this is as complete a meal as one could ask for – protein, fats (good ones) and carbs. Check it out.

I will definitely be trying this recipe and many others of yours! Keep up the good work!

63 Ruth November 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm

P.S. I intend to make your miso soup as soon as I can get some soba noodles – I’m a big fan of the oriental flavorings you come up with and love ALL of your recipes! Forgot to add this little comment to my above submission.

64 Margaret January 12, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Truly great recipe! As a mother of a vegan kid I’m always looking for recipes for her. Will be perusing your blog for a inspiration.

65 Jennifer February 17, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I’m still new enough to vegan eating and cooking that I haven’t really established a groove yet with my food. I have however made this three times and found it super yummy each time. For the first time in about a month I think I have a new comfort food. Thanks again for sharing your recipes. They are inspiring me to keep at this vegan thing.