What the Heck is Nutritional Yeast?

by on October 26, 2011

Nutritional Yeast

Welcome New York Times readers! I hope you’ll check out some of my recipes while you’re here, and if you like what you see, follow me on Facebook or by email.

Of all the ingredients I use in my recipes, the one I’m asked about the most is nutritional yeast. I’ve been cooking with it for so long that I forget how strange it must sound to people who are new to vegan cooking. Neither the word “nutritional” nor the word “yeast” conjures up mouthwatering images, but the truth is, it’s one of the few “health food store” ingredients that I wouldn’t want to have to do without–and not because of its nutritional value. So what is it, why do I use it, and where can you find it?

What It Is

Nutritional yeast is made from a single-celled organism, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae, which is grown on molasses and then harvested, washed, and dried with heat to kill or “deactivate” it. Because it’s inactive, it doesn’t froth or grow like baking yeast does so it has no leavening ability. Don’t worry; no animals are harmed in this process because yeasts are members of the fungi family, like mushrooms, not animals.

Nutritional yeast has such an unappealing name that somebody started calling it “nooch” and the name caught on on the internet. The brand that most vegans use is Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula because it is a good source of vitamin B12 and contains no whey, an animal product that is used in some other brands. In the U.K., nutritional yeast is sold under the Engevita brand and in Australia as savory yeast flakes.

What It Isn’t

Nutritional yeast is not the same as brewer’s yeast, which is a product of the beer-making process and is very bitter. It’s also not Torula yeast, which is grown on paper-mill waste and is also not very tasty. And please do not try to substitute active dry yeast or baking yeast, which taste bad and will probably make a huge, frothy mess because their yeasts are alive.

Where Can I Find It?

You probably won’t be able to find nutritional yeast in a typical grocery store. I buy it from the bulk bins at the local natural food store, where it is labeled “Vegetarian Support Formula.” Larger grocery stores might have Bob’s Red Mill brand in the natural food section. If you can’t find it locally, Amazon has several brands, including Red Star.

I use the flaked version of nutritional yeast, but it’s also available in a powder. If you’re using the powder, you will need only about half as much as the flakes.

Nutritional Yeast on Popcorn

Why Use It?

As you can guess from its name, nutritional yeast is packed with nutrition, particularly B-vitamins, folic acid, selenium, zinc, and protein. It’s low in fat, gluten-free (check specific brands for certification), and contains no added sugars or preservatives. Because vitamin B12 is absent from plant foods unless it’s added as a supplement, nutritional yeast that contains B12, such as Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula, is a great addition to the vegan diet (though I strongly recommend taking a supplement as the only way to be sure you’re getting enough). Not all nooch has B12, so check the label carefully before buying.

The vitamins and minerals are all well and good, but truthfully, I use nutritional yeast for its flavor, which has been described as cheesy, nutty, savory, and “umami.” Just a tablespoon or two can add richness to soups, gravies, and other dishes, and larger amounts can make “cheese” sauces and eggless scrambles taste cheesy and eggy.

The savory, umami taste of nutritional yeast comes from glutamaic acid, an amino acid that is formed during the drying process. Glutamic acid is not the same as the commercial additive monosodium glutamate and is a naturally occurring amino acid found in many fruits and vegetables. Adding a small amount of nutritional yeast to a dish enhances the flavors present and helps form a rich flavor base.

If for some reason you can’t find nutritional yeast or can’t use it, you can safely leave it out of recipes where it’s used in small amounts as only a flavor enhancer; in some cases, miso or soy sauce can be used in a 1:3 ratio (1/3 of the amount of nooch called for), though both add sodium, so you may need to reduce the salt. In recipes where nutritional yeast provides the bulk of the flavor, such as vegan cheese sauces, it’s best not to attempt to substitute it.

How Do I Use It?

If you’re new to nooch, it’s better to try it a little at a time rather than to dive right into a recipe that uses a lot of it. Try some of the suggestions below, using just a little until you develop a taste for it:

• Sprinkle it on popcorn.
  • Stir it into mashed potatoes.
  • Add a little to the cooking water for “cheesy grits” or polenta.
  • Sprinkle on any pasta dish.
  • Make almond “parmesan” by blending nutritional yeast with raw almonds in a food processor.
  • Add a tablespoon or two to bean dishes to enhance flavors.

Seitan Scaloppine with Lemon-Olive Sauce

Seitan Scaloppine with Lemon-Olive Sauce

For a Savory or “Poultry” Flavor:

These recipes use small amounts of nutritional yeast to form a flavor base and are good for beginning users.

Easy Macaroni and Cheese

For a Cheesy Flavor:

In many of these recipes, nutritional yeast is a central ingredient adding much of the flavor. Leaving it out isn’t advised.

Vegan Omelette for One

Vegan Omelette for One

For an Eggy-Cheesy Flavor:

Nutritional yeast contributes a lot of flavor to these tofu-based “egg” dishes.

For More Yeasty Information:

What’s Your Favorite Use?

Please share your favorite ways to use nutritional yeast in the comments below.

1 Greenconsciousness October 26, 2011 at 10:39 am

Excellent much needed post

2 Heather Nauta October 26, 2011 at 10:41 am

great overview – and I agree 100% on everything you said! except that I find the word ‘nooch’ less appetizing than ‘nutritional yeast’ ;)
When I was in France, all I could find was flaked brewer’s yeast – which I’ve never seen in North America, but it was listed in a recipe for vegan cheese fondue. It was a bit darker brown than the yellow nutritional yeast I normally get, but otherwise the same texture and similar taste. It had a slight malty flavor, but it was awesome! Nothing like real brewer’s yeast…
Anyway, great post :)

3 Laura S. June 6, 2014 at 10:45 am

I’m with you…I think “nooch” is worse. Don’t have a sub tho.. lol.. maybe.. cheast? lol

4 ari-free October 2, 2014 at 11:23 am

OK how about…Saccharomyces Cerevisiae? :)

5 Megan October 26, 2011 at 10:42 am

Any thoughts on how much is too much? I made a Mac n cheese recipe that had 2 servings and called for 1/2 cup. That seems like a lot. Can we overdo it?

6 Heather Nauta October 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

p.s. just voted for you :) and I’m excited to try your pumpkin and black bean casserole, sounds yummy!

7 Karen October 26, 2011 at 10:54 am

I love using it on sauteed kale, along with garlic, a little sesame seed oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and tahini. It’s sooooo good!

8 Riaz October 31, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Hi. I have a query about the Karen (Karen October 26, 2011 at 10:54 am) recipe which she claims to be sooooo good!. Could she be more specific, showing the measures on the ingredients and the method?
Thank you. Bye.

9 Jen October 26, 2011 at 10:54 am

Hi there! I love your recipes. I put some ‘nooch’ on greens as a topping. I’m also going to try it on some homemade kale chips this week.

10 Meridith October 26, 2011 at 10:59 am

Mmmmmm….I love nooch. My favorite use is for cheezy sauces, but I also adore it on popcorn!

11 Christina October 26, 2011 at 11:05 am

I love nooch! It’s so yummy and seriously packs great nutritional value. It’s a staple in my diet, I tend to buy it in the bulk bin but I need to get a larger container. I use the original container I purchased to try it and just keep refilling it.

12 Regan October 26, 2011 at 11:24 am

It also makes a great gravy! I always keep some stocked in my pantry.

BTW- I never realized some could have whey in it. (Yikes! I am very allergic to milk derivatives!) I buy mine in bulk from my local health food store, where it’s in a sealed bag- no labels. How do I know if it could be the kind with whey, is there any color variation or something that could alert me? I know I could ask the clerks, but I have had experiences where ppl just say what ever it is they think you want to hear, so I don’t always trust word of mouth. :P

13 Carren October 26, 2011 at 11:36 am

First, most importantly, I just voted! ;-) Good luck!!

Second, I just tried “nooch” for the first time last month. I finally got brave enough, after reading over and over how it has a “cheesy” flavor, I was still too scared because of the name. I have to say that I am totally addicted to it now. My favorite use is simple pasta with Earth Balance butter and TONS of nooch! Oh my gawd…I can’t get enough. Also use it on popcorn. I bought a huge canister of it on Amazon, and it’s already over half gone. The stuff is addictive!

14 Terri Lynn Merritts October 26, 2011 at 11:54 am

I use nutritional yeast in so many things! I buy mine at Whole Foods Market in the produce department. Just ask an employee and they will gladly package up the exactly amount you want.

15 Dan October 26, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain about this ingredient! It’s used a lot in my cookbooks, but I haven’t located any in the UK shops yet. Now that I’ve seen what it can be used for, I’ll try and track some down! The lemony seitan looks fantastic!
Dan
-x-

16 Terri Sue October 26, 2011 at 12:02 pm

i have been useing nutritional yeast since 1981 when my husband and i became vegetarians. i learned about it from The Farm Cookbook. i won’t eat a bowl of popcorn without it. i can be quite heavy handed with it when i use it as we like the taste so much. i like the Australian name, savory yeast. that just about sums it up.

17 Kristen October 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for the post. Just voted for you!

18 kensington cooker October 26, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Just voted for you Susan–good luck. Nutritional yeast is the secret wow in a lot of your recipes. Heather, I highly recommend that Pumpkin/Black Bean Casserole–always a hit around my house. I sprinkle the yeast on popcorn and pasta plus a little (my husband thinks a little too much!) salt and do find it hard not to overdo it. BTW, during my omni years I found Brewer’s Yeast literally sickening, but once I became vegetarian and found a good brand (Lewis Labs) I started to love it. Figure my body craves it now. But I use it strictly as a supplement, not as a condiment or in cooking. The “nooch” fills that niche.

19 alli October 26, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I’ve tried and tried to eat this nooch stuff but my body rebels every time. Huge, terrible stomach pains, massive stomach bloating, itchy swollen tongue, migraine headaches, and a bad ass rash on my limbs pop up every time I try to “be like all the other vegans” and put this stuff in my recipes.
I can’t eat Daiya cheese either, so finding a GF, soy free, rice free, corn free, vegan cheese substitute has been a real ordeal. I miss my cheesy goodness and really,really, really want in on the vegan cheese party too. (*sniff*)

Any ideas or suggestions on how to create a vegan cheese sauce that’s Gluten Free, yeast free, soy free, and rice and corn free would be much appreciated!! Multiple food allergies and Celiac are a be-yatch.
;)

Love your blog. Been a devoted fan for years.
….and I voted 4 u ! -alli

20 Carolyn October 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Alli, try the sauce recipe at VegNews.com for “Best Mac & Cheese on the Planet”. This is now a staple recipe for me. It has no nooch, using only vegetable ingredients. Use a GF pasta, if making the whole recipe, not just the sauce. It does use cashews; hopefully they are not an issue. Also uses breadcrumbs for topping, but I do not use breadcrumbs on mac ‘n cheese. Totally not necessary.

21 Jill Princehouse October 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Favorite use of nutritional yeast? Sprinkle it on any stew-like dish or soup. Yumm!

22 Farrah P October 26, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I made a delicious pumpkin cheese sauce that I used in a pumpkin sweet potato lasagna. It was so good. I have yet to try and mac and cheese recipe with it. That will be soon.

23 Rebecca October 26, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Thanks Susan. We are vegetarian and keep kosher. It gets tricky at passover because we can’t have any leavening, but I want to be able to use our homemade seitan products. In years past I’ve left out the nutritional yeast because of the word “yeast” and I didn’t know if it was inactive or not. I suspected it was, but decided it was better safe than sorry, kwim. Our seitan and gluten products weren’t as yummy without. Now I know, since it is inactive, I can use it! (We aren’t ultra strict, but try to follow the biblical guidelines.) HURRAY! You have SAVED Passover!

Also, I am very sensitive to the taste of nutritional yeasts, and often will lower the amount in recipes where it is the main flavoring, like in vegan mac-n-cheese. I find that I need less than it is often listed, and then the food will taste much better. So, if you are a person who finds the flavor too strong, just lower the amount a bit and see if that helps!

24 Jennifer October 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I love the Nooch!! It has become a staple in my kitchen. I had no idea about the whey and potential lack of B12, so I’ll have to check. I get mine in the bulk bins at Whole Foods.

Thanks for the recipe links, can’t wait to try some of these!

25 Rachel October 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I really like nutritional yeast too! Popcorn is my favorite thing to eat it with, but I have used it in a nut loaf and pasta too. YUM!

26 Erin October 26, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Interesting! I always shyed away from it because of the name.. but now? I think I’ll have to try it. I’m transitioning into the vegan world and your recipes have been great! Thanks!!

27 Heather October 26, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I love nutritional yeast but hate the nickname ‘nooch’. I think it’s more unappealing than it’s actual name. But wording aside, I use the stuff on nearly everything – salads, wraps, pasta (mixed with hummus to make a sauce), popcorn, savoury oats, etc. :D

28 Kayla October 26, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Great post, and a wonderful resource – I’ll be pointing any nooch newbies over here! I swear, I put nutritional yeast in every damn thing I make – I just can’t get enough of it. My favorite use of it is in a super low-cal creamy broccoli cheeze soup (literally just broccoli, onions, veggie broth, and nooch, simmered and pureed), and of course on popcorn! I also wanted to add that nooch is very useful as a salt substitute. It has lots of potassium but not very much sodium, which gives it sort of a salty effect without adding sodium to your diet (and is great for athletes).

29 Lena October 26, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. This is great information.

30 Stewart October 26, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Greetings and thank you for your great information. I live in New Zealand where I’m having trouble tracking down a source of nutritional yeast. If any other readers from NZ can help me I’d be delighted to hear from you.

Susan, how much salt in in nutritional yeast? I like to eat a very low salt diet.
Thanks again, Stewart.

31 SusanV October 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Stewart, it has very little sodium: 5.12 mg in two tablespoons. The complete nutritional info is here: http://lesaffre-yeast.com/red-star/vegetarian-support-formula.html

I hope someone will answer your question about finding it in New Zealand!

32 Sonia@7spice October 29, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Hi Stewart,
The Nutritional Yeast is called as ‘Savoury Yeast’ in Australia. I recently bought it of ‘Lotus’ brand from local health food store. Hope this info helps! Try to find out in your local health food stores and ask for Savoury Yeast.

33 TJ November 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I like the name Savory or Savoury Yeast a lot better than Nutritional Yeast or Nooch. We should start using that name in America. More appetizing.

34 Charlotte October 31, 2011 at 3:26 am

Hi Stewart
I have purchased nutritional yeast from Bin Inn in the past. And have also seen it in the odd health store – possibly Health 2000.
Charlotte (NZ)

35 Kitty May 1, 2014 at 7:10 pm

You can find it at Bin In! I buy it in the bulk bin, the flaked version, but they also have brewers yeast in powdered form, but otherwise the same. Sometimes, they also have it in a bag and it says its completely vegan and fortified with all sorts! But I can’t always find it, and it costs like three times as much… lol. Hope that helped!

36 Janet October 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Do you sprinkle the flakes or the powder (I’ve never seen this) on your popcorn? Can you grind the flakes to make powder? Yes, I voted for you–you are always my first source for recipes!

37 SusanV October 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm

The flakes are small and many tend to fall apart, so there’s no need to grind them before sprinkling on popcorn, at least not the kind I buy.

38 MikeW October 26, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Thanks. This was helpful. I’d appreciate some tips on techniques you use, for example sauteing without fat. Thanks.

39 SusanV October 26, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I don’t do videos but I think I need to make one to illustrate that. Thanks for the suggestion!

40 Jacqueline October 26, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I have always been a bit befuddled when it came to n yeast. I hadn’t seen it anywhere and didn’t know exactly what it was, so this was a great post for me and giving me substitute, well that was invaluable. Thanks Susan :)

41 Brittany @Little b's healthy habits October 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I discovered nutritional yeast not too long ago and I love it! Definitely going to give some of the “cheesy” recipes a try! Thank you for sharing!

42 Kath Mullen October 26, 2011 at 6:54 pm

My fave “nooch” recipe:
I have been told I make the best baked tofu in the known universe! I dip my tofu in tamari then I have a mix of nutritional yeast, garlic powder, poultry seasoning and rosemary. I then oil a cookie sheet with Extra-Virgin olive oil and bake at 400 until the top is crispy. I then flip it and bake it until the other side is crispy. The baking is key-crispy, crispy, crispy! This recipe evolved from one that I started making many, many moons ago with flour, cornmeal and nutri. yeast until eventually the main component was only nutri. yeast with some herbs/spices. My 19 year old son also started making this when he was home from college this past summer. So now it is a secret family recipe that is being passed onto you!

43 Fergus W. Clare October 26, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Hello Fat Free Vegan Kitchen,

Your recipes and nutritional breadth of knowledge are fantastic! Can’t wait to try this one out. I have been wondering lately however about the real ecological impact of a vegan diet. With the rampant take off of organic farming practices and grass fed beef, I think a valid argument can be made that eating grass fed beef is good for the environment. What do you think? Check out my blog at http://www.AnthroHemian.Blogspot.com with the posting Egalitarian or Vegetarian. I look forward to trying out more of your recipes.

Thanks!

44 veganpilotmarty November 4, 2011 at 9:47 am

99% of the beef consumed is from factory farms. There is a fantasy amongst meateaters that if they buy meat with an adjective in front of it, it will be okay. It’s not okay for many reasons. Environmentally the earth cannot support the nonsense of “grass fed”, “humanely raised”, or any other kind of silliness where the raising, commodifying and killing of animals is concerned. To convert the current level of meat consumption to “bucolic” farms is something there is just not enough space for.

From a moral and ethical standpoint there is no decision between veganism and eating any animals. Take a look at http://www.humanemyth.org.

Marty from Marty’s Flying Vegan Review

45 Caz May 21, 2013 at 7:44 am

You may be refering to the US. In Australia almost all beef is grass fed (it is labeled if grain fed) and we don’t have ‘factory farms’ raising our beef. Everyone makes their own choices, whether for ethical or nutritional reasons, but different countries have very different practices so no one should make blanket statements. Loved learning about savoury yeast!

46 Cindy October 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I guess I have to be different – I don’t like it.

47 JoLynn-dreaminitvegan October 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I’m never without “nooch” and I love it on popcorn too. The flakes are the ones I use as well. Kal makes nutritional yeast which most healthfood stores carry if you can’t find it in the bulk bin.

48 Monique October 26, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I have nutritional yeast and have sprinkled on popcorn. However, I don’t think the yeast tastes like cheese. Would you mind sharing what brand of nutritional yeast you use.

Thanks!

49 SusanV October 26, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I use the Red Star brand, but I actually don’t think it tastes much like cheese all alone or on popcorn. I add a bunch of seasonings to my cheese sauce to get a flavor I think of as cheesy–nutritional yeast alone doesn’t do it for me.

50 Diane Bonaccorsi October 26, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I looooove nutritional yeast. I make a great gravey that is so good over rice and veggies….. 1/2 cup of n. yeast flakes
1/4 cup of flour (I use brown rice flour)
1/8 teas. of garlic granules
Toast in a pan until fragrant and lighly brown
add & blend well
1/3 cup of oil
2 TBLS. tamari (wheat free)
Whisk in 2 cups of water
whisk until thickened. If it’s to thick add more water.
Great over mashed potatos
Love this blog!

51 Frugal Vegan Mom October 26, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I use nooch on a near-daily basis as a condiment. When I’m too lazy to make a cheese sauce, I just sprinkle it on whatever grains/beans/veggies I’m eating, add some salt, pepper, garlic powder and a splash of soymilk and stir until it’s creamy.

So awesome you’re leading in the contest, I linked to this post and the voting on my blog!

52 Sara Grambusch October 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Voted! You’re doing pretty good over there. I LOVE nooch. I put it on everything and make fun sauces. When I first started using I could never imagine it would end up being such a staple in my kitchen.

53 Sharon Kubichek October 26, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Not My Recipe — I got it off the interwebs, I think from VegWeb
Chicken-less Season Blend
3/4 C Nutritional Yeast
1 and 1/2 TBSP onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 TBSP oregano dried
1 TBSP basil dried
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
Whirl in blender or food processor to a powder.
Add 1 TBSP dried parsley.
Use as about 1/2 TBSP mix to 1 C water
Makes a nice chicken flavor base for soups or sauces.
– Sort of Ratatouli – this one, including the spelling, is mine.
1 medium onion chopped or sliced thin and saute until translucent.
3 medium zucchini sliced thin. Add to saute of onion.
Cook perhaps 5-8 more minutes.
Add 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 TBSP of Mrs Dash, and 1/3 C of nutritional yeast.
Add pepper to taste – start with 1/8 tsp. Cook all over med – lo heat for about 8 more minutes. Zucchini should end up crisp-tender. Italian seasoned diced tomatoes are also good.
This is one of those dishes that gets even better being left-over, and is good cold or hot.
It is pretty good even with frozen zucchini slices when the garden gets the best of you and you just stuff it all in the freezer. If you do that, add a bit more of the nutritional yeast to thicken things up.
Biscuits – not fat free. choose your acceptable fat.
2 C white flour
1/4 C wheat flour – or your preferred proportion of white to wheat.
1/3 C nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
5 tsp baking powder
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp basil, or other dried seasonings
Mix well.
Cut in 5 TBSP or 1/3 C shortening, until granular. Use your favorite vegan solid shortening. Oil is ok, just gives a different texture. I have not tried non-fat because I’m too southern.
Mix 1 C soy milk with 1 TBSP vinegar. Let sit a few minutes, then mix into flour and shortening – briskly with few strokes. Light vanilla soy is surprisingly tasty.
Turn out onto floured surface and knead until well mixed – as usual for biscuits. Roll out and cut into biscuit shapes. Bake 11 minutes at 440 F on plain cookie sheets. These are on the drier side for biscuits, but my non-vegan chicken nugget child likes them.

54 Leslie Paquette October 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I just voted!! You are my go to blog for delicious healthy vegan recipes :)

I LOVE nutritional yeast and I agree with a few other comments that the name “nooch” sounds even more unappealing. I use it almost every day in recipes and I always put a tablespoon on my salads.

55 Emily October 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Thank you so much for this overview! I started on a vegan diet in March, and tried a vegan “cheesy” scalloped potatoes recipe for Easter. I really didn’t like it and was turned off from the flavor because of the nutritional yeast. Now I realize that the recipe probably used its measurements with nutritional yeast flakes, and I had bought it as a powder! So, I probably used twice the amount. Since then I had completely avoided all recipes with nutritional yeast.

I’m super excited to try something with the correct amount of nutritional yeast now that I know more about it!

Are the measurements in your recipes all written for using the flakes?

56 SusanV October 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Yes, and now that you mention it, I should go back and change them all to say “nutritional yeast flakes.” Until I was doing the research for this post, I didn’t realize that there was that much difference between the two.

57 LH October 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Great post. I made sure to vote for you. Although I’m really not sure what Shape was thinking when they listed Pioneer Woman as a healthy blog. I think the only person who cooks with more butter than Ree is Paula Deen.

58 bindeee October 27, 2011 at 12:30 am

Your website is terrific. It’s the first thing I open when it arrives even when many other emails arrive at the same time. I’m a recent convert to Veganism and was very happy to learn about nutritonal yeast from you. Now I look forward to learning much more about “secrets” of the Vegan diet from you.

59 angela October 27, 2011 at 12:38 am

I don’t care for the name “Nooch” either…what’s wrong with the name nutritional yeast anyway?
First,Stewart in NZ. I live in Oz and couldn’t get nutritional yeast locally so the health food shop ordered me some. It’s Lotus brand (I think) and is sold as savoury yeast as Susan said and it’s an American company. Good luck in your search!
I love nutritional yeast but got a bit carried away with it one day and had a very strange reaction…..firstly the tops of my ears went red and started throbbing,then my forearms turned red and I started flushing all over. I was a bit alarmed at first then I remembered taking niacine a while back……that’s what it was a reaction to the niacine. Thank goodness. It’s not necessarily a bad thing to happen but it’s a bit weird : ) I think I read a while back that if you take half an aspirin with the yeast it counteracts this reaction.
Love your blog Susan and I’ll go and vote for you in a minute : )
Love Angela XXX

60 Perry March 9, 2013 at 1:34 am

Same thing happened to me, got a bit carried away putting some in a pasta sauce, and got to feeling really bloated, hearbeat started pounding in my ears, flushed and plain all around not feeling good almost immediately. Haven’t used it since and I’m planning to have some in a week or two to see if that was really the problem, or if I was just having an “off day” or it was something else I might have eaten. Although it’s not the same as MSG sometimes I wonder because the reaction I got was the same as I get when I get slipped some MSG.

61 Alison Fairbank October 27, 2011 at 2:56 am

Thank you for this article Susan. I love nutritional yeast but have yet to get past sprinkling on pasta and strring into mashed potatoes. I really need to eat more of this especially for the B vitamins which I suspect I’m lacking a bit in my current favourite dishes. Oh and I’ve vated for you too!

62 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts October 27, 2011 at 3:09 am

I have loved this since managing to find it earlier this year – it did take me a while to locate it but then I found it in a tiny health food shop right near my work. Goes to show you can never predict where these things will turn up!

63 Rebecca Lwin October 27, 2011 at 8:38 am

Hi Susan, I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now. I’m not vegan, but a “part-time” vegetarian. (Part time is when my husband is travelling or otherwise not home for dinner!) He loves his meat/chicken/cheese, etc. But I’ve been giving some serious thought to going vegan for a month & see if he can do it. Too bad I missed your challenge as I would dearly love your book. We live overseas (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) and there are many vegan Hindus here (as well as pork-abstaining Muslims & pork-loving Chinese!) It is a very richly diverse eating culture. As well, I’m a Registered Dietitian, so food & health are my business & my passion.

Wish us luck in our challenge! Keep cooking & writing, I love your stuff!

All the best,
Rebecca

64 Nobody October 27, 2011 at 9:16 am

thank you SO MUCH for this post! my husband and i have been vegans for a little over a month, and this is one of the common ingredients that i had a lot of questions about. the first time i made a dish with it, i used Brewer’s Yeast instead… oddly enough, my husband loved it- but it didn’t have a flavor profile that i craved. i just ordered some off Amazon, since i’ve scoured all the health food sections of my local grocery stores with no luck. (no dedicated health food stores around here either) again, thank you for the clarification!

65 Elisha October 27, 2011 at 11:29 am

Does anyone know how long nutritional yeast lasts? I bought a giant container of it about a year ago, and I’m wondering if it’s still good.

66 SusanV October 27, 2011 at 11:39 am

I’ve heard it has a shelf life of 18 months if you keep it somewhere cool and dark.

67 Sara October 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Mine’s actually past its expiration date, but it’s still good! That is, I’m still noticing that the B vitamins are active.

68 Kath Mullen November 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Many moons ago friends and I bought a compound bucket size. It lasted for years-the flavor was the same, but the color was less vivid.

69 moonwatcher October 27, 2011 at 11:38 am

Great post, Susan–now I have to go see what “umami” is!! lol

I like the nickname nooch a lot. Another one I learned from vegan activist friends:
hippy dust, referring affectionately to the powdered form of Red Star.

Wow, what a great list of your recipes with the different uses of nutritional, I mean nooch, er, hippy dust–I recognize many of my favorites among them–lasagna, mac n cheez, fettucine no fredo, tofu beet burgers, cabbage noodle soup. . .and I see one I’d like to try–the black bean pumpkin caserole. :) There’s always a treasure I’ve somehow missed. :)

Thanks again–

xo

70 Hannah October 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I tried to vote for you, but the link said “page not found”! Help!

71 Marian Hamilton October 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm

LOTS of good info here, Susan – and THANK YOU for the links for all the YUMBO recipes too! I’ve been a fan of nooch for a while now, but didn’t know all these facts about it. I’m adding this page to my Recipe Box for easy reference for future cooking!! xxMarian

72 Erica October 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm

i mostly use it in broths, on soup (pretty much any kind), or on popcorn. also in homemade crackers, mac n cheeze, or anything i feel like throwing it in :)

73 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty October 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I LOOVE this stuff!! love love love!

Did you find any info on using too much of it? I pretty much have a tablespoon every day!! I figure it’s better than taking extra supplements!! :)

74 SusanV October 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I haven’t found anything out about how much is too much. A tablespoon a day doesn’t sound like too much to me, and if you’re not having any problems with it, I say go for it!

75 Danielle October 27, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I LOVE nutritional yeast….I grew up vegetarian and my parents used to put it one everything. We even put it on our cat’s dry food and our cat is now 16 and still alive!

I’d say my favorite use for it is on popcorn. We have make popcorn with a hot air popcorn maker and melt a little earth balance (butter substitute), braggs amingo acids (like soy sauce) and sprinkle nutritional yeast on top. It’s AMAZING. Sometimes I will make a huge bowl just for myself.

Another thing I really like it for is on top of bread…butter and yeast on top of a toasted bagel or bread is a really great side for breakfast.

What a bonus that it’s really good for you too!

76 Faye May 13, 2013 at 8:12 am

I just found your note regarding nutritional yeast and your cat’s food. Thank you. I have just started to sprinkle Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast on my cats’ wet food, but didn’t know whether it was healthful to do this, since I had just read on the web that yeast was not good for cats in the long run because it is a grain.

However, they like the added taste and I feel they need the vitamin B, so I hope their health will not be badly affected.

77 Judy Papadakis October 27, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Just voted for you. Wish the political pundits all over the country and on both sides of the aisle were as truth-telling, down-to-earth and as knowledgeable as you are! Back to nooch: As a newbie to the vegan/vegetarian world, I’m off to purchase my first container of the stuff. The timing of this post was super serendipitous. Best of luck at the polls. In my book you are a national treasure and a Godsend to those just coming on board. To someone who has been cooking since the stone age, your recipes and explanations are worth their weight in nooch, baked kale and slow-cooked pinto beans!

78 alli October 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm

susan, just checking in again to see if maybe you have an idea for me on how to create a cheezy vegan sauce that’s not made from nutritional yeast, or rice, corn, soy or gluten? thank you much!!

79 SusanV October 27, 2011 at 3:15 pm

How about cashews? I love cashew sauce and to me it tastes cheesy without any nutritional yeast added. Just raw cashews, broth or other liquid, salt, pepper, and maybe some garlic blended until creamy. When you heat it, it thickens.

80 alli November 2, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Susan, sounds delish! But can we make it fat free-ish you think?

Its so hard to keep calories and fat grams low when it comes to eating creamy yummy things made of nuts… I’m not so good at portion control and will power when it comes to dinner and fatty foods. ;) I love ‘em too much. When i was a dairy eater I bought the best fat free, hormone free, cheese made from skim milk and melted it over everything without putting on any excess pounds. Boy, do I miss eating creamy dairy-like things without guilt.
Maybe someone can invent a fat free cashew or coconut cheese, cream cheese or ice cream for us calorie and fat gram watchers?
Thanks so much!!

81 Sally October 27, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I love it on popcorn!

82 carrie October 27, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I use nutritional yeast on popcorn like some others do but my favorite use is in a caeser dressing recipe from Brendan Brazier’s book the Thrive diet. It is awesome!!!

83 mare October 27, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Excellent post, and I love nutritional yeast!

84 Stef October 27, 2011 at 8:41 pm

This is a great introduction to nutritional yeast. I love the Vegan 101 lessons; thanks!

85 Popcorn lover October 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Just tried to make my first bowl of popcorn with nutritional yeast. It all just fell to the bottom of the bowl!! Any ideas what I did wrong? I use an air popper and sprinkled the yeast on as it fell into the bowl. Do I need to use margarine to make it stick?

Feeling like a dummy….

86 SusanV October 27, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Most people spray it with something–soy sauce or Bragg’s, olive oil, or even water–before sprinkling it. I’ve also sprayed it with balsamic vinegar, which I really like but which is probably an acquired taste.

87 Popcorn lover October 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Thank you!
I’ll experiment.

88 Amy October 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I mix mine with some olive oil before putting it with the kernels (1:1 ratio) in a brown paper bag and microwaving.

89 Pamela S October 27, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Hi Susan!
Thanks for clearing up the meaning of “notch” for me. I recently found your site- I’ve been on a juice fast for the past 23 days and plan to follow a vegan diet when I’m back on solid food. I love your website, lot’s of great information and delicious-looking recipes.
Oh, I just voted for you, it looks like your in second place now!

90 Pamela S October 28, 2011 at 1:50 am

Oops, that should be nooch- darn spellcheck!

91 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 28, 2011 at 11:55 am

I actually like the flavor of it added to my oatmeal! :)

92 Fiona October 28, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I wasn’t sure if I would find this post relevant to me since I’ve been using nooch for a while and am familiar with it, but I did! It was great to read the comments describing how people like to use it. I’ve got some new ideas now! My fave way to eat nooch is to sprinkle 1 tsp flax oil on a slice of toast then sprinkle 1 generous tsp of nooch over that. Doesn’t sound like much but the flavors are just amazing together. Sorry it’s not oil free!
Btw, I voted for you! I couldn’t believe some of those blogs were considered healthy eating blogs. A friend on fb just linked to a recipe on the Pioneer woman blog and I checked it out bc it was called Lemon Basil Pasta, which sounded great. But then it also had cream, half a stick of butter, and 1 cup of cheese! That’s healthy?!

93 MaryNYC October 28, 2011 at 4:37 pm

What a great post! I, too, throw it into everything, especially soups. Must try the vegan omelette. Sounds delicious!

94 Katherine October 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm

i have just discovered your blog via the Broccoli Fritters recipe / i have nutritional yeast on hand for use with popcorn but, come to think of it, i have had it a long time / instead of asking if i should get a fresh supply i guess i will go ahead and get a fresh supply / i am eager to try the Broccoli Fritters

95 Christi Nielsen October 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I always use it on kale chips. yum!

96 Heather October 29, 2011 at 4:52 am

Seriously, thank you so much for writing this article. Now when anyone is like “what in God’s name is nutritional yeast?” I can just send them this! :)

-Heather

97 Crystal October 29, 2011 at 9:03 am

We love Nutritional Yeast in our house! I have used it for many years primarily as a cream-type sauce for pastas but now I have a very picky 2-year old so I started sprinkling his food with it for the nutritional value, and he is now obcessed with it. He even points to it to have it sprinkled on his food, though he’d just as soon prefer to eat it off a spoon. He has some sensory issues and doesn’t like touching “slimy” things, so I think coating it with the yeast also makes it’s texture more appealing to him.

I don’t know how much it too much, though I did read somewhere when looking for a safe amount for my son that for a toddler, 2 TBSP a day was considered safe, though more may be fine. I generally don’t worry about the quantity for us since we don’t eat cups of it daily. :)

98 Samantha October 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm

This is a really good post, Susan! I love nutritional yeast and have used it for years, but I have never heard it called nooch! That’s a new one for me. I love sprinkling it on popcorn and on buttered toast (with a little granulated garlic, too, on the latter).

99 Carolyn October 29, 2011 at 9:03 pm

What a great post! Susan, this is such a wonderful resource for cooks exploring vegetarian/vegan cooking as a sustainable way of nourishment. Having been a convert for many years, nooch is not at all exotic in my kitchen. Matter of fact, if the supply gets low I get a little panicky, but there is a local health food store in my area that carries nutritional yeast at a far better price than any other source I’ve found (including Amazon). Love it in sauces, on popcorn, in soups and stews, and in a dry seasoning mix I use for scrambled tofu, based on a scramble recipe you shared a while back. Nutritional yeast is truly one of those staples that may have almost endless uses.

And to the person who posted a concern about shelf life, dry products that do not have a high oil content ( it’s the oils that become rancid) and are kept reasonably dry should not be a concern if used within a couple of years. Hopefully the reader will use the suggestions you’ve provided and become one of those converts (like me) who go through nooch like water!

100 Stephanie October 30, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I use a few tablespoons of nooch in soups made with a base of my own homemade vegetarian vegetable broth, which though delicious and heavily spiced tends to be somewhat thin and lacks the fat and oil that chicken or beef broth has. The nooch gives it a nice savory and somewhat “oily” (for lack of a better word) texture that is extremely pleasant rounds off the experience of a thick, hearty soup such as lentil, pureed, and “cream” based soups. Helps me disguise veggie dishes and make them more acceptable to my carnivorous friends. C’est magnifique!

101 val October 31, 2011 at 10:55 am

Hi Susan

Just love your emails about all things vegan . Having read your article on
nutritional yeast , i was wondering is it safe to eat if you have candida problems ? Im trying not to eat anything with too much yeast in and im not so
sure if nutritional yeast can cause the same problems .
Thanks
Val the vegan !!

102 SusanV October 31, 2011 at 11:00 am

Val, the research I read says that it’s safe for people on anti-candida diets because it’s inactive yeast. Of course, people can have different reactions, so it’s probably best to just try a little and see if it affects you before consuming a whole lot.

103 Con Conz October 31, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Nooch rocks my socks.

Here’s an amaaaaazing cheese sauce recipe thats oil free :

It’s easy to make, and to make it lower in fat, you can sub half the cashews with oats. Been using it on everything lately :D

104 veganpilotmarty November 4, 2011 at 9:25 am

Milk? In nooch? Dear God when will they stop contaminating everything?!

Seriously, (well, that actually was a serious question), are there only 1 or 2 brands that use milk or is it like, only 1 or 2 who don’t? I get my nooch in bulk and I can just see the nightmare of asking Whole Foods to find the barrel it came in to see the ingredients. Just like others have said.

Marty from Marty’s Flying Vegan Review

105 Susan Voisin November 4, 2011 at 10:31 am

Marty, I think currently more nutritional yeast is vegan than is not, though if the bulk bin isn’t labeled, you might want to ask what kind they use just to be safe. I think you’re more likely to find NY with dairy in it in those “nutrition” stores that deal in supplements, pills, and protein powders than in Whole Foods.

106 veganpilotmarty November 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Thanks Susan. Yes, I haven’t had much luck with those “Nutrition” stores. I take half the blame because I forget to check for gelatin in the caps and then have to return them. I just love doing things twice. I know they have tons of whey protein powder and I’m sure soy isolate if one feels the symptoms of kwashiorkor coming on. Then again that’s doubtful if you’re standing near a nutrient store. I haven’t asked or would think they’d carry nooch. I’m gonna write a letter to WF. I’ll keep you posted.

107 veganpilotmarty November 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm

What I sent to WF.

To Whom It May Concern:

I have a question about your bulk nutritional yeast.

Does it contain any milk or dairy? Is it suitable for vegans?
Is there an easier way to obtain the ingredients of your bulk items?
Would you consider marking them with perhaps a circle with a line across a “V” to indicate that items aren’t vegan?

Thanks.

108 Sea November 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I just had pasta with nutritional yeast, pine nuts, and avocado sprinkled on top, right before I read your article. I love the stuff! Great summary and introduction for those new to the ingredient. :)

-sea

109 Ryan November 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Hello. I am curious. This may be a dumb question, but is this actual yeast. Should you eat it if your on a candida diet and are suppose to steer clear???

110 Susan Voisin November 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm

The research I read says that it’s safe for people on anti-candida diets because it’s inactive yeast. Of course, people can have different reactions, so it’s probably best to just try a little and see if it affects you before consuming a whole lot.

111 Ryan November 8, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Thanks.. I will definitely have to try it!

112 M.J. Trapp November 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Is there a brand of Nutritional Yeast you’d recommend, because the one I bought both tastes and smells awful. Is there a difference or is it an aquired taste?

113 Susan Voisin November 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Both Red Star and KAL get good reviews for taste, so if the brand you bought is different, you might try one of them. But it is often an acquired taste, so be prepared to learn that you just don’t like it. (In other words, don’t buy a lot! See if you can buy a little from a bulk bin and try it before you spend any more money.)

114 Abra November 10, 2011 at 8:38 am

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I was wondering what this is. I see it in so many recipes and was clueless until now. Now I am excited to try it because being new to the vegan way of life I am missing savory and cheesy flavors!

115 Toby November 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Thanks so much for the nutritional yeast article! As a new vegan, ingredients like nutritional yeast are completely foreign to me. Your blog is so very, very helpful for us newbies :)

116 John November 13, 2011 at 11:43 am

Nothing is better on popcorn than nutritional yeast!

117 Shirley November 17, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I tried nutritional yeast once when I first became vegan to make a cheese like sauce the smell wasn’t pleasant and the taste no better so I never tried it again and threw away the rather large jar of nutritional yeast. I used to adore macaroni and cheese and all things cheese and so am tempted after seeing your post to try again. Does this tend to be a love or hate thing or did I do something wrong. I wonder if brands make a difference.

118 Geanna November 20, 2011 at 7:51 am

What a great post! I love nooch and use it often but never knew how it was grown or harvested. Thanks for the information.

119 Lindsay@almostveganblog November 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Nutritional yeast is my absolute favorite cooking ingredient. It’s a miracle product. Right up there with ground flax and vital wheat gluten. I’d eat it even if I wasn’t trying to cook healthy foods. It’s absolutely delicious, versatile, and good for you. Even my kids love it (I told them it was “cheese” and they believed me. HAHA).

120 Lindsay@almostveganblog November 24, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Oh, and my favorite way to use it. Hmm.

I don’t think I could pick just one. I love nacho “cheese” sauce (I have a really good recipe from the now out-of-print Yellow Rose Recipes), your cheese sauce for mac & cheese, sprinkled on popcorn, or put into seitan. I just used some today for Brianna’s Soy & Seitan “Turkey” which I am making this year.

121 Shelby November 26, 2011 at 3:32 am

I love nutritional yeast flakes! One of my favorite ways is on popcorn. I even got Grumpy and his dad to like it that way.

122 Una Carroll December 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Love nutritional yeast. I use it for gravy, and cheese sauce, and anytime I need carmalized protein. My favorite thing in the world is Fried Tofu. I spray Braggs on tofu slices, sprinkle on mustard, and tumeric. Then I dip the slices into Nooch, and pan fry. So awesome. I eat it with grits, or on toast with greens and veganaise. Seriously a miracle product.

123 Megan December 17, 2011 at 7:15 pm

A great post! Thanks. I often forget too that nutritional yeast is such a foreign concept to many people. I can’t eat popcorn without nooch now. I’ve tried … just can’t bring myself to eat popcorn without it. :)

124 Kristin January 2, 2012 at 8:24 am

Susan,
I was only able to find “Brewer’s Yeast Flakes, Nutritional Yeast” in m local grocery store.
Here’s an image: http://www.luckyvitamin.com/images/Product/xlarge/57023.jpg
Do you know anything about this product? It says its both nutritional yeast and brewers yeast so I’m left confused
Thanks for your help!
Kristin

125 Susan Voisin January 2, 2012 at 8:52 am

I’ve heard from at least one person who uses this product (Lewis Labs Brewer’s Yeast) and really likes it, so I think it’s worth a try, especially if it’s all you can get. Good luck!

126 CongaChile January 19, 2012 at 6:22 am

I love the taste of it simply plain, right out of the bag. By the way, so does my dog.

127 Bill January 20, 2012 at 6:18 pm

A friend told me about nutritional yeast He told me to start off by trying it on popcorn…did that tonight and yum!!!! Going to experiment on some of the ways you suggested my next attempt is to put it in a scrambled egg to see how much of a cheese flavor it gives!
THanks!!!

128 Jarafel January 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Hello Susan,
I love nutritional yeast but it doesn’t seem to love me back at all, do you know why is that? what els could I use for cheesy flavor instead of that?

129 jaqui February 14, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Thanks for the info…I’m just starting out and had no clue what to look for. Although to a noobie can I just say that “nooch” doesn’t sound much more appealing then “nutritional yeast” lol ;-)

130 cindie February 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Loved this post!! thanks a bazilliion! I am a new vegan (25 lbs lost ) and im always trying to get new ideas and recipes…. so thanks!

cindie

131 Judy V February 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

Can nutritional yeast be used when there is a yeast/mold allergy? I’m very very allergic to molds, and was told by doctor to avoid all yeast breads.
Thank you – I would like to find recipes for dairy and yeast free cheese sauces, etc. Judy V

132 Susan Voisin February 24, 2012 at 9:51 am

Personally, I wouldn’t risk it if I was very allergic. You could try sauces based on cashews and other nuts instead.

133 m March 2, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I love nutritional yeast! My family gives me weird looks but i dont care. i have always thought mustard had a cheesy taste, so i usually mix the two into a sort of sauce topping, yum

134 Livie248 March 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Thanks so much for this info! I am not too far from Bob’s Red Mill and plan to make a nice Saturday morning trip.

135 Julie March 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thank you for writing a concise and accurate post. It seems that so many people are confused about glutamates, yeast infections, umami, and MSG whenever they have questions about nutritional yeast. Though not a vegan, I supplement with nutritional yeast regularly because I experience positive health effects from the B vitamins and protein… my energy levels and stamina are boosted greatly by this wonderful supplement.

136 Lisa March 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I am so glad to have found this explanation. We are transitioning to a plant-based diet and so many recipes call for nutritional yeast. I was unable to find it in any local stores and once I gave in to ordering online I was unsure of powder vs. flakes. This was very helpful. Thank you!

137 emm April 4, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Wow, thanks so much for this informative and thorough post!

138 Debbie April 29, 2012 at 10:04 am

Is nutritional yeast the same as nutritional yeast seasoning? The only thing I could find was Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast Seasoning flakes. Thanks.

139 Susan Voisin April 29, 2012 at 10:13 am

Yes, I think they use the word “seasoning” because they put it in a shaker jar and charge more for it, but it seems to be just nutritional yeast.

140 Dr. F. A. Young, Esq May 2, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Just discovered you. We are a fam in transition Vegetarian to Vegan. Your site and your recipes are fantastic – you have provided me an arsenal of tasties with nutritional value that shows – Let them Eat Vegan is a reality and you definitely will never go to the guillotine – or get chopped if you appeared in when of those commercialized chef show cook offs. The knowledge you share is much needed and definitely makes it easier to eat to live. Thanks for sharing. Peace

141 Jean May 27, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Hi Susan! i love your website! i also use nutritional yeast and love it! i have to ask if it’s safe to use it if someone is suffering from yeast infections? thank you, Jean

142 Susan Voisin May 27, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Because it’s not an active (live) yeast, it’s supposed to be okay for people with yeast infections, but I would be sure to check that out with a health care provider before using it. I think that some people may still be sensitive, so it’s best to play it safe.

143 Judy V June 7, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Should people with yeast allergy avoid nutrional yeast?

144 Susan Voisin June 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I think anyone with an allergy should be very careful and consult a doctor.

145 Judy Ficek July 3, 2012 at 8:19 pm

My daughter has a sensitivity to brewer’s yeast. Do you know if it would be safe for her to consume nutritional yeast? Thanks for any info!

146 Susan Voisin July 3, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I wouldn’t want her to get sick, so please be careful before you let her eat nutritional yeast. There’s probably no way of knowing unless she tries some.

147 LaVerne Johnston July 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm

What would be a reasonable amount for an omnivore to use simply as a supplement to a regular diet?

148 Kendra July 26, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Wow. Very informative post. Although I’m not a vegan, I love nutritional yeast for it’s health benefits and cheesy, salty flavor. My absolutely favorite use for nutritional yeast is on popcorn, like you suggest! Pair it with a sprinkle and a shake of Braggs Liquid Aminos, and you have a savory popcorn treat that it truly addictive.

149 Jane August 1, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I know “nooch” tastes better, but is brewer’s yeast more nutrious? I can’t figure it out. Thanks!

150 Jen Havard October 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Hi Susan – wondering if nutritional yeast is ok for people with gluten, soy or corn allergies? Fixing dinners next week for people with all of the above, and would love to use nutritional yeast if it doesn’t contain soy, gluten or corn. Do you know for certain if it does or not?

THanks, JEn

151 MB October 13, 2012 at 7:49 pm

For a tasty drink add a bunch to a cup of hot water! yummy!

152 lesli October 19, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I am allergic to MSG & have heard that people that are sensitive to MSG may also have a reaction to nutritional yeast.I am also recently vegetarian and have heard that it is a great product, and would like to try it, but fearful of a reaction.

153 Susan Voisin October 19, 2012 at 10:43 pm

If you’re extremely allergic to MSG, you probably shouldn’t take any chances. There are naturally occurring glutamates in nutritional yeast, and though they may not affect you, I don’t think you should risk finding out.

154 Perry March 9, 2013 at 1:37 am

Just left a post with another member (#55) about the same thing. Thanks Susan.

155 Lablascovegmeu November 19, 2012 at 6:11 am

Thank you for posting, I’d already liked your recipes, now your advice is helping me a lot to cut sugar and fat!

About B12, I used nutritional yeast too till learned from The Vegan Society (UK) it does not usually work for humans. Now taking b12 supplements. Leave you the link:
” there has been confusion about the source of the B12 in nutritional yeast (…) nutritional yeast should not be relied upon as a source of B12 unless it is fortified with B12 during processing”

Hope it helps. Thank you again for the work!
:D

156 Lablascovegmenu November 30, 2012 at 8:22 am

Wow, I’ve seen you edited the post. ¡Such an honour! Using nutritional yeast is great for flavouring salads, I’ll try some of the things you do too.

By the way, we did your “Chickpeas and Barley in Red Lentil and Eggplant Sauce” ¡and it was yummy! I guess it’s going to become one of our regulars. Thank you again for sharing :D

157 Susan Voisin November 30, 2012 at 8:29 am

I’m not sure what you mean. I haven’t edited this post recently. But I’m glad you liked the Chickpeas and Barley.

158 Shera November 26, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Wow! Loved this post on nutritional yeast. I am going to link this in one of my posts for my viewers to check out. Thanks so much for the info and recipes! =)

159 rmm November 28, 2012 at 7:57 pm

thanks for this article. please explain how some nutritional yeast might not have B12. i buy it in bulk and need to assume that B12 is present.

160 Susan Voisin November 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm

161 kristina December 3, 2012 at 4:30 pm

hi there, i have in my pantry a container (unopened) of nutritional yeast flakes, never opened.. i was wondering if someone could tell me if they are unopened , do they go bad??? the sticker on the bottom.. says use by last year 12/2011,however, i know most companies put a date for an estimate based on actually opening the container and since i havent, well…

162 Susan Voisin December 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I’m really not sure, kristina. My instinct is to throw it away if it’s a year old, even if it hasn’t been opened.

163 rmm December 3, 2012 at 6:03 pm

i appreciate the blog and your response to my question, which probably due to the way i asked, focused on how to find out if the bulk nutritional yeast has B12; however, i’m more interested in understanding how some nutritional yeast might not have B12. thank you.

152 Susan Voisin November 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm If the bin that you buy it from isn’t marked, ask the store if you can see the package that it comes in when they get it.

164 Susan Voisin December 3, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I believe the B12 is added. Some brands add it, others don’t.

165 Maureen December 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thanks so much for all the terrific info. on nutritional yeast. We have just started using it. Had it on Cheesey Kale Soup tonight – delish. We are doing Three Steps to Incredible Health – Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Feeling terrific and enjoying eating lots of fruit and veggies as well as seeds, nuts and beans.

166 Geoffrey Levens December 13, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hi Susan, thank you for the excellent blog and so generously posting all the incredible recipes!

Have you found a good source for nutr. yeast that is NOT fortified? I use quite a bit it (a bit addicted to the flavor!) and am concerned about the added folic acid (synthetic folate) which research indicates may increase cancer risk significantly!

Thanks again,
Geoffrey

167 Joe October 3, 2013 at 8:29 am

Geoffrey,

On your concerns about folic acid, see http://jacknorrisrd.com/what-supplements-do-i-take/.

168 helen December 16, 2012 at 10:57 am

I have having a christmas party and need help with a simply impressing recipe for someone who is a vegetatarian no dairy or gluten can you help me

169 Susan Voisin December 16, 2012 at 11:39 am

Helen, can you tell me more about what you’re looking for–main dish, appetizers, dessert? Meanwhile, take a look through my Holiday Recipes section, to see if anything there catches your interest.

170 Audrey January 2, 2013 at 5:40 am

Hi,
I live in France and just became Vegan. No one here has ever heard of “nutritional yeast” and I have no idea what it’s called in French or where to buy it!
Can anyone please help me?

171 Becky January 3, 2013 at 8:43 am

I use ‘nooch’ to make vegan pesto! I make ‘parmesan’ sprinkles out of the ‘nooch’, raw walnuts, panko bread crumbs and a little Italian seasoning. The pesto is so yummy, that I would rather make the vegan version than the traditional verson.

2 cups organic arugula
1 cup ‘parm’ sprinkles
1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic
salt to taste
Process in a food processor til smooth. serve over pasta or whatever will stand still. Super yummy!

172 brittany January 14, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I sprinkle some on my salad. Can’t live without it now!

173 Rosalie Oppenheim January 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm

This summer I had a wonderful salad at at the Love Dog Cafe on Lopez Island in the state of Washington. I wasn’t able to get the recipe, but I was told it had nutritional yeast along with olive oil and apple cider vinegar. I would like to re-create this salad dressing but haven’t a clue as to the proportions of the ingredients. Do you have a salad dressing recipe using nutritional yeast that you could share. Thanks. –Rosalie Oppenheim

174 Susan Voisin January 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I don’t have one like that, but here’s a link to a similar dressing that is very popular: http://apassionateplate.com/hollyhock-salad-dressing/ Unfortunately for me, it has way more oil that I would want to use.

175 tammy January 29, 2013 at 7:11 am

This may sound like a really stupid question. But would this contribute to a candida problem in the body? I already have issues, so I’m hesitant to try this. If you could clear this up, I would be so thankful!

176 Katie January 29, 2013 at 12:44 pm

http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/ has a lot of information on candida. She may address nutritional yeast.

177 JC February 21, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Hi,

I don’t know where you are but here in the UK we have Engevita nutritional yeast flakes from Marigold Health Foods.

The side of the tub says: “Engevita is a purely natural food, a primary strain of Saccharomyces Cerevasiae, grown on enriched purified molasses under carefully controlled conditions. This ensures freedom from candida albicans yeast.”

I hope that helps!

JC

178 Margie February 3, 2013 at 8:51 pm

If you have had a blood test that says you have a food sensitivity to baker’s and brewer’s yeast, would you probably have a sensitivity to nutritional yeast?

Thanks.

179 Sister Catherine February 17, 2013 at 7:52 pm

hi there, thank you for the info about the nutritional yeast. i know of and use yeast flakes but had no idea that that was nutritional yeast. i do so enjoy yeast flakes on popcorn with cocounut oil rather than butter. also at times sprinkled on might tasty hot ceral for breakfast, i don’t do oatmeal due to gluten factor.

180 Danny March 1, 2013 at 3:10 am

Thank you for the post! I am going to be using these recipes!

181 patti March 3, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I used it with raw cashews and tofu and basil, processed in the food processor as the “ricotta” in a lasagne. Recipe came from Trisha Yearwood.

182 Becky Zutz March 13, 2013 at 6:29 pm

What all B Vitamins are in it and Is it good for someone whos Pregant??? I use it but my Daughter is worried about trying it while Expecting?? Thank you and God Bless :)

183 Vicky brown March 18, 2013 at 11:09 am

Hi, I don’t know if you’ll know the answer to this, but thought I’d try anyway! Do you know if someone with candida can use this yeast ? I do have candida, but a vegan friend told me about this yeast and I’d love to try it. If you can help me that would be great!

Vicky

184 Monica April 1, 2013 at 8:57 am

Hi Susan. Many thanks for an interesting read. I’ll have to order Nutritional Yeast as I live in Qatar and I’m not aware of where it can be bought.

Best wishes!

185 Brandon Frye April 10, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I love this article. So much that I linked it in one of my own. This is such an important topic. I had no idea what the heck nutritional yeast was before going plant-based. I am now using it pretty much daily. For a vegan, it is the perfect topping/ingredient to add to dishes. Thank you again for writing and I’ll leave a link to my article.

186 Kay Verdi April 16, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Thanks for this post! I love to use nutritional yeast in a tofu saute I do. Dice and pat dry tofu. Saute over fairly high heat in some canola or other neutral oil (couple of teaspoons, at most), until lightly browned. Spritz with some Bragg Liquid Aminos, then add nutritional yeast to taste. At that point, also add a bit of water and continue to cook, stirring often, for a couple of minutes. I often add in corn, peas, green beans, or some other veg too. It’s a delicious dish. You can also, if you want, add curry or jerk seasoning to the tofu when you’re sauteeing it. Both go well with the yeast.

187 Jerika Navarro May 11, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I am so happy to have found your website!!! My sister has MS and can no longer enjoy a normal diet she really misses cheese and is a diabetic so vegan is a new life style for her. Thank you for your easy step by step learning tool.

188 Alyssa May 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I am writing to thank you for all this wonderful information! I stumbled upon your site and am so happy that I did. You answered every question I had about nutritional yeast . I love your writing style and your ability to convey the facts in such a way that I actually enjoyed reading this. I can’t wait to try some of the recipies.

189 Kricket Lindsay May 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I am very, very allergic to bakers yeast and somewhat allergic to brewer’s yeast, should I be concerned about nutritional yeast?

190 Susan Voisin May 23, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Just to be on the safe side, I would avoid it if I were you.

191 Jude May 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Would appreciate information regarding yeast allergy and if the allergic problem would be the same for nutrional yeast. I would like very much to try nutrional yeast, but have to avoid regular yeast products. What would be the answer for this? Hopefully, positve. Thank you very much. mjv

192 Miz June 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Hi! I was recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and chose to go gluten, dairy, soy, corn, peanut, sugar, and egg free. I am not at a Vegan level yet…I am eating chicken and fish as right now I need high protein…but, when I finally go into remission, I will probably eat mostly either vegetarian or vegan.

I have a question for you about Nutritional Yeast. I LOVE the stuff. Even before I got sick, I used to grind up walnuts, NY and sea salt and used it for popcorn and pasta. But, I have concerns after I started eating it twice a day with my basic meals that I’ve had to eat with Ulcerative Colitis. I basically eat a small amount of steamed rice, avocado and either boiled chicken, sardines or fish with some very well boiled (sadly) spinach. I was on a huge dose of prednisone at first so I ate this salt free. But a few weeks ago I added a little bit of salt and 2 teaspoons of NY each bowl. It was lovely!

Sadly, however, last week I suffered from migraines on a daily basis. I just couldn’t get rid of them. I did a bit of research and discovered that NY may be the cause. I know that some people believe the glutamate in NY is actually the same as MSG and I am severely allergic to MSG. I also did a bit of research on Red Star and didn’t like what I discovered. It’s a huge corporation that is involved in developing all those chemical additives that are put into processed foods in this country to addict all of us to doritos etc. I believe they sold the NY part of their company or Red Star to a french conglomerate which also focuses on developing chemicals to enhance the taste of the processed foods so many Americans live on.

All of the good vitamins and healthy aspect of NY are actually not part of the fermentation of the yeast but they are chemicals added by these corporations. I wonder at the quality of these “vitamins” Anyway, I stopped adding my lovely NY and after one day the migraines disappeared and they have not returned. I miss it terribly but I must say I do wonder how healthy NY really is based on who is making it. I also do believe now those who say that the glutamate that is in NY is either in such a large quantity that it mimics MSG or that MSG has been added by these companies to give it the umami flavor it most certainly has.

My question to you is, is there a replacement you can suggest to me? I really loved the stuff but between my stomach issues and those migraines, I don’t think I will ever eat it again.

Thanks!!!

Miz

193 Norma Lewis June 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I am new and need help on how to get going.

194 3Dradio July 5, 2013 at 5:02 pm

It kind of saddens me that this ingredient is so common to vegan cooking. I say this because not even the local health food stores here carry it, and I can’t see myself ordering my groceries over the internet. It wastes far more resources that way, and it’s something I shouldn’t have to do.

195 Susan Voisin July 5, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Could you ask the stores to carry it? If they were assured someone would buy it, maybe they would consider it. It’s a delicious addition to all cooking, not just vegan cooking.

196 Kyla August 1, 2013 at 3:49 pm

If anybody has trouble finding a store to purchase nutritional yeast at, I know that the Vitamin Shoppe has nutritional yeast flakes available (KAL brand). On their website, it claims that they have a Bragg brand available as well, although I have not personally seen it in their store.

197 Mary Smith September 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I use nutritional yeast in a lot of dishes but I have discovered I have Candida and I would like to know if this type of yeast (since it is called yeast) would be adding to the Candida problem. Also, I take Red Yeast Rice for chol. and am concerned that it could be a problem also.
Thanking you in advance for responding.

Mary

198 Fernando September 22, 2013 at 12:20 am

Excelente trabajo Susan, muchas gracias.

199 Mary Foster September 22, 2013 at 10:54 am

Have you used nutritional yeast, in yeasted bread dough to get a cheesy flavor? do you have a recipe for that type bread?

200 michelle September 22, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I’ve been adding it to popcorn for the past ten years or so. Used to go to a little movie theatre that popped the corn without additives, then would put real butter over it. Or not in my case. Then you took your popcorn to a mixing station where you could dump it in a bucket and add salt or yeast and mix it up. It was absolutely the best popcorn! Also used to buy an organic pre-mixed popped popcorn with herb and garlic mix. I regularly make popcorn now with yeast and Mrs Dash’s — garlic is wonderful on popcorn.

201 bonita September 28, 2013 at 9:46 am

Hello Susan
wonderful information I am new to eating vegan I’ve heard of nooch’ but I am on a low sodium diet I have been searching for a flavor enhancer,I juice a lot to obtain
vitamins and I eat raw salads any other flavor enhancement suggestion I would love to cook vegan and have tried a couple recipes.
thank you so much for the nooch ‘ information

202 Kristen September 30, 2013 at 10:07 am

Nutritional yeast isn’t for everyone’s palate, but I love it.
I use “Now” foods brand and it has 9 grams of well needed protein for a mere 2 teaspoon serving. What other food offers such wonderful nutrition??
I add the noosh flaked to grits or polenta for cheese flavor! Awesome

203 Marsha September 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Use nutritional yeast in all of my Italian and Mexican dishes. Our favorite is Green Chile Enchiladas with spinach and mushrooms (onions and chiles). Take yeast with us when we go to our favorite pizza parlor – they make us thin crust whole wheat crusts with no sauce and no cheese. We get spinach, basil, garlic, raw onions, mushrooms, green pepper and fresh tomatoes toppings. Everyone who walks by tells us our pizza smells SOooooooooo good – and it tastes equally good!

204 Katherine September 30, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I love nutritional yeast on pasta and in mashed potatoes!! I also add it to any stew or soup I am making. I am a vegan – I don’t take a B12 supplement – I only use nutritional yeast and my B12 levels have never been low :-)

205 Lisa September 30, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Some researchers say the glutamic acid in nutritional yeast is an excitotoxin and therefore shouldn’t be eaten.

206 Jen October 8, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Thanks for the detailed and easy-to-understand backstory of nooch!

207 Medlori November 6, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Best kale chips:
Gather a bunch of kale.
Spray with liquid aminos.
Dounce with Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast Seasoning.
Dehydrate for 4 to 10 hours, depending on your setting, and depending on whether there is any remaining before thet are done dehydrating.
Enjoy!

208 Robert November 16, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Hi,

I’m fairly new to the vegan diet. My current diet seems to be evolving in that direction. I would like to know if nutritional yeast is completely safe or are there any known side effects that I should know about? This product is used to mimic cheese? That would be great because I’m finding cheese is the hardest food to give up, much harder than meat in fact!

RR

209 Susan Voisin November 17, 2013 at 9:12 am

I’ve never heard of any side effects, though I suppose if you have some allergy to yeast, it could cause problems. The thing to remember is that it isn’t a cheese substitute but an ingredient which can be used to create a cheese substitute. Most people don’t think it tastes cheesy right out of the jar, and it can be an acquired taste (which some people never acquire). Just don’t expect too much from it and you won’t be let down.

210 Jon December 18, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Works really well in vegetable smoothies.

211 Bo Pedersen December 19, 2013 at 10:41 am

You say:

“Don’t worry; no animals are harmed in this process because yeasts are members of the fungi family, like mushrooms, not animals.”

That is not entirely true. There is no fungi family but rather a fungi kingdom, which is separate from both the plant and animal kingdom.

Yeast cells have pretty complex lives with characteristics such as communication and collaboration, and they are genetically more similar to animals than plants.

But of course it is easy enough for vegans to disregard this fact because you can’t hear the yeast cells scream when you butcher them ;)

212 Dona December 22, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I’m allergic to Brewer’s and Baker’s yeast. Do you think I’d be allergic to this too?

213 Susan Voisin December 22, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I don’t know, but personally, I wouldn’t risk it.

214 Amy S. January 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I googled “what is nutritional yeast” and came upon this post. This was extremely helpful! (I’m looking at a recipe for mac & cheese style cauliflower and nutritional yeast was one of the ingredients.) I’m saving a link back to this post so I can find it again. Thanks!

215 HRV January 2, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I only tried nutritional yeast twice. The first time I thought it was just not a very good dish and it made me sick to my stomach. The second time I used it I knew it was the nutritional yeast. Both times I bought it from Whole Foods bulk bins. Are there any differences from one type to the next? I would like to try it again but don’t want to be sick.

216 Megan January 15, 2014 at 9:47 pm

What an informative post… thank you so much for your detailed description in easy language! I feel much more knowledgeable now, after reading! Will try a few of your recipes and let you know how I go. Thanks again!!

217 Sara January 21, 2014 at 11:43 am

If you only need 1/2 as much powder as you do flakes isn’t it more economical to buy the powder? Check out the two options for Frontier nutritional yeast here:

218 Lisa January 21, 2014 at 5:38 pm

What can I substitute for nutritional yeast? I don’t like the taste of cheese so this product does not appeal to me, though I see it in a lot of vegan recipes. Can you suggest something or can I just omit it?
Thanks,
Lisa
Czolacz@aol.com

219 Sam January 23, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I took a food sensitivity test that said I cannot have Baker’s Yeast. I accidentally just ate something that has “nutritional yeast”. Could this possibly not have an affect on me — is it different enough that it won’t count as something I have a sensitivity to?

220 Susan Voisin January 23, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I can’t answer that. I usually advise people who are allergies to baker’s yeast to avoid nutritional yeast. Since you’ve already eaten it, you could just monitor your condition, perhaps from the nearest emergency room.

221 Audree February 4, 2014 at 11:30 am

Thanks so much for explaining what nutritional yeast is and how to use it and offering recipes to use it in!!!!! I’m just learning to eat more meatless meals. I love meat and won’t give it up entirely, but I’d like to keep it down to 10% or less of what I eat in a week. Thanks again for your very helpful article!!!!

222 charley gu February 8, 2014 at 3:46 pm

hi
I am candida sufferer so I just started having interests about vegan food and candida diet.
I really want to have the salad with creamy sauces so i had yogurt instead of other tasty sauces. but yogurt is arguable thing for candida overgrowth.
so i have been searching up for long then i got this one that can make sauce creamy.
But i am not sure i could use nutritional yeast for my sauce?
Thanks for reading all my curiosity…

223 IsabelRose February 24, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Susan, I concur with your admirers for having offered this wonderful info a few years ago, thank you. I have used NY/nooch (I prefer NY) since last year when making Cheesy Kale Chips from another recipe and I believe I discovered a slice of heaven since I am a HUGE cheese lover. I recently stopped consuming ALL DAIRY – thank goodness for nut milks and coconut oil and NY! I triple checked my Whole Foods brand NY and it is gluten and dairy free, yayy! So I will be incorporating it in some of my recipes since it meets the nutritional criteria I’m looking for. Cheers!

224 James S March 2, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Hi

Thanks for the information, very informative. I have had your site bookmarked for 6 months now.
I am a pescatarian, but i am always tweaking my diet and educating my family as i learn more to improve.
I have been using nutritional yeast for 5 years, but decided to research it further, which is how i discovered your site.
Great research you provided. thanks again, and much success.

225 N'nandi March 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I’ve started using nutritional yeast a couple months ago and loving it , never used it on popcorn but will do it soon.

226 amy griffiths March 22, 2014 at 10:41 am

Since I just discovered nutritional yeast yesterday, I only have one favorite so far. I would share a picture, but I’ve eaten almost all of my yummy cashew cheese!
I can’t wait to try this wonderful product out in other recipes.

227 Margot Ayres April 2, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Thank you for your very helpful information on nutritional yeast! I appreciate it. All the best.

228 Gerald Payne April 4, 2014 at 11:34 am

Just found your web site and love. I found the report on Nutritional Yeast. great report

229 Celina Bowman May 7, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I came across this blog post when researching nutritional yeast flakes. i found it really interesting that Nutritional yeast flakes had lots of vitamins and minerals like B12. I recently picked up some yeast flakes and sprinkled it on freshly popped popcorn with some sea salt. It was great and i never would have thought to try it. I love that you gave recipies so people can add nutrional yeast flakes into their diets to become healthier and add a new seasoning into their kitchen. Giving up dairy cheese has been quite difficult for me so i hope to implement some of your recipies into my diet. I cant wait to substitute these vegan options into my diet. By avoiding dairy cheese i can remove unnecessary cholesterol from my diet.

230 Cathy May 8, 2014 at 9:46 am

I am starting a low iodine diet in preparation for thyroid cancer therapy so I must drastically reduce my iodine consumption. I have cooked with nutritional yeast in the past but am not sure if it contains iodine. I am not supposed to eat any blackstrap molasses due to iodine content. Do you know if nutritional yeast is free of iodine?

231 Susan Voisin May 8, 2014 at 9:56 am

You may have to check with the company that makes the nutritional yeast you use because the amount of iodine could vary from product to product. But I would be careful of it because I saw it on an internet list of iodine-rich foods.

I wish you the best of luck with your therapy.

232 Christopher Rantall May 28, 2014 at 8:26 pm

G’day :)

There is no rush, however when you get time, please give me some information regarding sprinkling nutritional yeast flakes on freshly popped pop corn – how do you stop most of the flakes falling through the pop corn to the bottom of the bowl?

I have tried various ways, but not really happy with them.

233 Arthur in the Garden! June 15, 2014 at 8:56 am

Is nutritional yeast considered a plant or an animal? Or is it in between?

234 Susan Voisin June 15, 2014 at 9:54 am

It’s a fungus.

235 Marianne Miller July 22, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I am just learning about eating whole plant-based foods and many of the ingredinets are new to me. I also do not eat anything that is estrogen based. In addition I have IC and cannot eat anything acidic…so no vinegar based products. All this makes planning new menus a bit challenging.
I am anxious to learn!

236 Haileigh August 16, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I went vegan about a month ago and am still learning so much about this stuff! I finally bought some after passing it a lot in the bulk section and actually added it to my tea (orange black). It didn’t add any flavor but the nutrition was there…so that’s another way to get it! :)

237 TINA CORUTH August 16, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I have an allergy to regular yeast. My allergy is to the smell, especially when it is heated in cooking. I can’t even toast bread for that reason. Does nutritional yeast give off that yeast aroma?

Your website is very informative!

238 Susan Voisin August 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm

To me, it smells totally different from baking yeast.

239 Roger Montgomery September 26, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Thank You your site was very informative. My friend Joshua turned me onto this product cause he said it gives you a lot of energy. So far I haven’t experienced that aspect. But I can see it has a lot of vitamins and you can put it in other meals. I never thought of that. Thanks again for your help, Blessings

240 Jim September 26, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Thank you for an informative article about nutritional yeast. I agree it doesn’t terribly appetizing but I love it on popcorn with some olive oil as well as in pasta sauce. I’m not even vegan. I have to say however I don’t find the name “nooch” very appealing either.

241 R. T. W. October 25, 2014 at 11:22 am

Sorry, Don’ know what you want for Website. Google? New York Times?
WOW–I was just watching the CBS show “Recipe Rehab.” One of the recipes included Nutritional Yeast and I didn’t know what it was, so went to Wikipedia for a nice short explanation, but your site was next and I am blown away by the information and the variety of and classification of recipes. Can’t thank you enough! Since I do want to contribute something: I am reading a really good book entitled Eating for Beginners: An Education in the Pleasures of Food from Chefs, Farmers, and One Picky Kid by Melanie Rehak . Right now I am in the middle of the chapter “Meet the Farmer.” She goes on site to learn, including working with the restaurant and cheese maker she visits. So far in reading “Meet the Farmer,” she is just talking to the organic (I am using the word loosely since I am no expert) farmer about his economic problems. I am looking forward to the next 200 pages.

242 Susan Voisin October 25, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for the compliments, R.T.W., and for the book recommendation. The website field is there in case you have your own website you would like to have linked to your comment. It’s mostly an opportunity for people to plug their own sites.