Chocolate-Almond Nuggets of Joy

by on November 1, 2011

Chocolate-Almond Nuggets of Joy

I didn’t intend to post a recipe today, but my daughter and I had so much fun making these natural “Fauxmond Joy” candies that I couldn’t resist sharing them with you. The photos are Halloweenish because yesterday was Halloween (I’m always behind the times), but the treats are good any time of the year.

Before I get to the recipe, I have a few announcements to make and a bunch of thanks to hand out:

First of all, the VegNews Veggie Awards issue is out, and for the fourth time you have voted FatFree Vegan Kitchen as your favorite blog. I can’t tell you how thankful I am to all of you who took the time to answer that loooong survey back in August. It warms my heart to know I have such devoted fans. Thank you! You are the best!

Also thank you to everyone who voted for me in the Shape magazine contest. I didn’t win, but I’m thrilled that this vegan blog came in second in a mainstream publication’s contest. Go vegans! Another contest I did win (and didn’t even know I was nominated for) was the Vegetarian Health Institute’s award for Best Healthy Blog. Thank you to everyone who voted for Fatfree Vegan Kitchen; it’s a big honor!

Vegan Holiday KitchenOne more thing and I’ll finally get to the recipe: Vegan Holiday Kitchen, Nava Atlas’s latest cookbook, was released today (and is selling fast). If you’ve missed all my bragging about it on Facebook, let me tell you that the reason this is a big deal for me is that I took the photos for the book and my name even appears on the cover. (This is a big “buy one for everyone in my family” moment for me!) I’ll be sharing a recipe in a few days, but you can get a preview of four of the recipes and photos in today’s New York Times; click on each photo in the slideshow to see it full-sized. (Yes, the New York Times! Please wait for me while I call my mother!)

Okay, I’m back and ready to talk about the recipe. Over the weekend my daughter mentioned that she loved Almond Joy candy bars. I did not know this. I did know that she went through a period a few years ago when she decided to be vegetarian rather than vegan at birthday parties, Halloween, and just generally everywhere candy or ice cream was present. After about a year, she came back around to being vegan on her own–which I think is the way you have to become vegan. Anyway, she said that she missed Almond Joy, and I said it would be easy to make a vegan version (and, of course, it’s been done). But I wanted my Fauxmond Joys to be a little lower in sugar and contain less chocolate so I came up with this version which, truth be told, tastes like the original…if you’ve never had one. Still, if you have a craving for something coco-nutty and chocolaty, these fill the void, with a little fruity, prune flavor as a bonus. (Thanks to Facebook fan Lynn S. for suggesting the name Chocolate Nuggets.)

Chocolate-Almond Nuggets of Joy

1 janet @ the taste space November 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

Congratulations on all your achievements! There is a reason I keep coming back to your blog and recipes – they are great! :)

2 Gretchen November 1, 2011 at 11:39 am

This is a much better Halloween candy option than Snickers!

3 Samantha November 1, 2011 at 12:02 pm

The New York Times! That IS very exciting! Congrats! And, of course, congrats on the awards. It’s always well deserved.

Also, those chocolates are making me drool. :)

4 Angela in Cincinnati November 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Congratulations Susan! I recommend your blog to ANYONE I know who is trying to improve their diet. It’s good for vegans and non-vegans alike because your food is so universally delicious! You have helped ME so much to learn about great ways to prepare delicious, low/no fat vegan food. Your blog is even on my “bookmarks bar”… a sign of how often I seek out your recipes/advice. I’m currently in the middle of a 30-day veggie/fruit juice fast, but I’m definitely going to make this recipe for Christmas.. I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE almond joys.

5 Tiffany November 1, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Many congratulations, Susan! You deserve every bit of the recognition. :)
I love the cute name of these treats. I hadn’t thought to substitute dates with prunes, but what a good idea.

6 Hannah November 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

You are such a stud! Congrats on everything!

7 Marian Hamilton November 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm

These sound so YUMBO!! can’t WAIT to make them!!!

And I am SO PROUD of you, Susan – you justly deserve each and EVERY ONE of the awards! I have a copy of Nava’s book being sent to me via Amazon right now! (I just wish the nutritional info was included w/ her recipes….. you’ve spoiled me!)

8 Philippa Sonnichsen November 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Congratulations, Susan, on all your successes! Thank you for helping to make a vegan diet mainstream. I think it’s the best and easiest way to save our health care system in the US and improve the environment globally; and the more you do, the more the politicians will take notice, and the easier it will be for people to adapt to this positive lifestyle. Bravo!!!

9 Jill Princehouse November 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Susan: the only way we have to repay you for all the very wonderful recipes you send our way is with words of thanks and appreciation. No matter how long it takes to vote for you, I’ll always do it. Congratulations on your wins. You’re the best and deserve every one of them

10 Moritz November 1, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Wow, this recipe looks so so so delicious :)
Yesterday was Halloween, but today is world vegan day!
Did you know that very often, consumer perception and reality of our food’s environmental impact often differs essentially?
I wrote a blog article on this, “Food Footprints: Subjective Consumer Perception vs. Profound LCA Data”:

11 Apey Lee's Homespun Designs November 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm

YUM!

12 alua November 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I don’t know the ‘originals’ but these look fabulous. I’m going to add these to my list of Christmas treats to make (my annual plan to a Christmas-cookie baking session which I *will* make a reality this year).

Congrats on getting published in the NYTimes!

Nava Atlas’s book is on my wish list (will buy it either with birthday or Christmas money), looking forward to it and admiring your photographs in it too!

13 moonwatcher November 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Hi Susan!!

The New York Times! Get out! That is just great–I just went to the page and they have nice photos of your photos. Wonderful. And congrats on your wins, and coming in second on the Shape survey, too. I am so happy for you, and for all of us, really. These are wins for anyone trying to eat healthy.

The treats look gorgeous. First time I’ve been seriously tempted since I’ve been on my extremely low fat way of eating to help with the MS. Coconut, and almond joys, were my favorite candy. But the Swank diet says coconut is “forbidden,” too much saturated fat for our already saturated brains, I guess. So I will content myself with the mouth watering pictures. Maybe they will be worth a thousand bites, as well as a thousand words!! lol

xoxo

14 GetSkinnyGoVegan November 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Wow. How Super healthy!!!! And I might sub cocoa nibs for the chips but looks super cute, healthy, yummy, with some dark coffee….as a treat!

15 Heather Bolestridge November 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm

YUM!!!!

16 lex November 1, 2011 at 10:42 pm

You have a typo ‘plums’ instead of prunes in the main description of the recipe that threw me for a sec! I want to eat those NOW, they look so good! You can also use Wax Orchard’s Fudge as a fat free chocolate spread.

17 SusanV November 1, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Thanks for catching that, though it’s not actually a typo because prunes are dried plums. But you’re right that it’s confusing, so I’ve changed it. I’ll have to look for that fudge–I’ve never heard of it.

18 Alexandra November 2, 2011 at 4:25 am

I have been reading your blog for years, not because I was vegan, but because of your writing and presentation. But recently I took the plunge and became a no-added fat vegan. This way of eating has involved some major changes in thinking and habit and culture. Your blog is an invaluable tool for this new way of life; and your recipes taste good and seem practical. Congratulations, and Thank you.

19 Ivy November 2, 2011 at 9:57 am

Congratulations, Susan! And I had read that E had decided to be vegetarian anywhere there was candy and ice cream lol, but didn’t realize she had come back around to being vegan–on her own. That’s wonderful :)

20 Dawn November 2, 2011 at 10:44 am

Yay for you!! I recommend your blog to folks all the time. It is great to see healthy eating being celebrated. And the photos look so yummy.

21 Bianca- Vegan Crunk November 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Congrats on everything, Susan V!! I got my review copy of Nava’s book last week, and was so thrilled to see your name on the cover!!!!! I hate that I missed you at Vida Vegan Con, but I’m sure I’ll see you there in 2013.

P.S. These little almond joys look delicious!!

22 Gena November 4, 2011 at 5:06 am

These look joyous indeed.

23 Gena November 4, 2011 at 5:07 am

And PS — I am THRILLED you won the Veggie Award, which you deserve more than ever. You’re amazing, Susan!

24 Jane November 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Congratulations on all the achievements! I love that these are made with prunes, as dates aren’t always easy for me to find!

25 radioactivegan November 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Congrats on the book! The pictures all look great (at least the ones I’ve been able to see).

The recipe looks great. I haven’t had an almond joy (maybe ever? certainly not in a long time), but I’m looking forward to trying these!

26 Kara November 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm

these look to die for! thanks for the recipe!

27 Christin November 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Congratulations on your blog recognitions! I just came across your blog and I will be following along. I’m not vegan but I definitely love my veggies and am looking to cook healthier foods after overindulging with Halloween Candy for the past week!

28 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner November 7, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Your recipes are the best!!! I love these! YUM!

29 Drisana November 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Hi Susan – these treats look great, and in addition to Halloween, I think they’d bring a little joy to any of the holidays coming up! Thanks for sharing!

30 maria de lourdes araujo February 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm

OLÁ!!!!!

AMEI ESTOU LOUCA PRA FAZER E ME DELICIAR MANDE SEMPRE NOVIDADES OK? TODAS AS RECEITAS SÃO INCRIVEIS . QUERO AVISAR QUE PORMOTIVO DE TER PERDIDO UMA VISÃO E TER QUE FICAR POR MUITO TEMPO SEM ATUALIZAR MEU BLOG TUDO INDICA QUE O MESMO FOI DESATIVADO ,. ME AGURDE COM NOVO BLOG E RECEITAS BEIJOS

31 Shannon @ RecipesMe April 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thses nuggets look delicious. I’m going to have to make these very soon :)

32 monica October 10, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Making these again today! So October-y!

I leave out the confectioners, and around here we call them “Rawmond Joys”

Thanks for the recipe

33 Benefits Of Juicing March 29, 2014 at 9:51 am

I have just made these and they are delicious! I have try adding dried prunes to taste more fruity flavor and contribute around half the calories of dates. Thank you for the lovely recipe. They will be coming out again at Christmas definitely! :)- See more at my website.