Ginger-Orange Glazed Carrots

by on December 5, 2011

Ginger-Orange Glazed Carrots
As a lazy cook who values one-pot meals, I don’t cook many side dishes. If a meal lacks a vegetable, I’ll usually toss together a salad and call it a day. The only time I find I need true side dishes is when dinner centers around a protein-heavy dish, like mini tofu quiches, quinoa cutlets, pistachio-crusted tofu, or meatless loaf, that needs a plethora of veggie sides to round out the plate. Simple steamed vegetables will often do the trick, but when I want a side dish that seems “dressier” but still is quick and easy to make, these lightly sweet carrots meet all my needs: sparkling with the flavors of orange and ginger, they cook in about 15 minutes and are the perfect accompaniment to any meal.

I served them with the broccoli-rice casserole I posted last week, but they really go with everything–or with nothing, as I found out when I kept reaching for them cold as a snack. Even with no fat and with much less sugar than most glazed carrots, they’re still seriously addictive. I’ve tested them with several different sweeteners (including date syrup, which I don’t recommend because it overwhelmed the orange and ginger) and like them best with agave nectar, but I’ve included a couple of other options for those of you who avoid agave. Give them a try at your next holiday meal!

Ginger-Orange Glazed Carrots

1 Barb December 5, 2011 at 11:27 am

Those look great! I usually do a “candied” carrot but these look much healthier! I might bring these to an upcoming potluck :)

2 Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) December 5, 2011 at 1:00 pm

You just reminded me how much I love roasted carrots drizzled with a hint of maple syrup after they are done roasting. So thanks Susan! And I agree, I’m not big on side dishes. Everything is served with a salad to make it a complete meal, thus the elimination of the side dish . . . interesting.

3 sweet road December 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I had these recently but I only used orange juice, a little bit of agave, and carrots. I would be interested to see how the recipe tastes with the added ginger and orange peel. Much more flavorful I’m sure!

4 Rita December 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hi Susan, these are definitely going on my Christmas day menu along with your Meatless Loaf, cranberry relish and a huge tray of roasted spuds. I’m also giving your Eggnog cheesecake a go but I’m going to crumble some plum pudding on top. Don’t suppose you have anything unusual for brussels sprouts or stuffing then you’ll have full credit!!! Rita

5 KCalla December 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Rita,
Can I suggest Susan’s Creamy Vegan Broccoli and Rice Casserole (Nov 21, 2011 posting). I made it for our dressing replacement for this Thanksgiving. It was wonderful….got rave reviews and was quickly gone. I made it in a 9×13 pan. Our Thanksgiving brussels sprouts were a hit, too, but very simple and no formal recipe: Halve Brussels Sprouts, cook in 1/2 inch or so of water until done. Drain. Mix together about one tablespoon each (depending on how many sprouts you make, I made 2 pounds) of Dijon mustard and Maple Syrup or other sweetener and add a teaspoon or so of soy sauce. Toss with Brussels Sprouts. I don’t know who to credit for inspiring this, but it may have been Susan. My thanks to the inspiration. Requests are in for us to make this again at Christmas.
Karen

6 Rita December 6, 2011 at 3:23 am

Thanks Karen, those sprouts sound good alright. Have done something similar in the past using orange juice and balsamic vinegar but was looking for another take on it. I’ll give yours a go. The creamy broccoli bake IS yum but it’s been done too many times here now to be Christmassy for my lot. Thanks again!

7 Susan Voisin December 6, 2011 at 6:49 am

Rita, have you tried my Brussels sprouts and mushrooms: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/02/brussels-sprouts-and-mushrooms.html ? If your family likes mushrooms, they’re really good.

I’m really honored that so many of my dishes will be on your Christmas table! :-)

8 Rita December 6, 2011 at 10:45 am

I love mushrooms and have never thought of putting them with sprouts before. This is one I have to try but my youngest has mushrooms as this weeks aversion. Normally I completely ignore such behaviour but in viewing that recipe I then noticed your roasted sprouts, and seeing as how the oven will be on anyway I think that’s the way to go for the big day! I’m the only vegetarian in the family (not fully vegan, sorry!) so I try to be as indulgent as possible with the sides. By the way, you feature regularly on our table. It’s a huge compliment to you that my family of hardened carnivores have never ever rejected anything I’ve picked up from here. Happy Christmas!

9 Susan Voisin December 6, 2011 at 11:02 am

Aw, thanks, Rita! I haven’t had as much success feeding my own carnivorous extended family, so I’m happy to hear that yours likes my recipes. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

10 Kathleen December 5, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Those look SO good! I love carrots so much — thank you for this amazing recipe! :D

11 Anna December 6, 2011 at 3:47 am

Oh I thought the orange was referring to the vibrant color of the carrots…I never realized you really added citrusy-orange flavor. The combination is fantastic. Side dishes can be limelights of the party too…I love the recipe, so does my little girl. Thanks for posting!

12 Vegetarian December 6, 2011 at 6:40 am

great recipes! I do love all your posting!

13 Pearl December 6, 2011 at 1:23 pm

perfect. I have all those ingredients too.

14 csteph December 7, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Susan, I apologise for asking this question here – I wasn’t sure where the best place was. I just fell for the 4 lb box of Meyer lemons at Costco, and I don’t know what to do with them! I remember you mentioning them a few times, so I thought you might have some ideas for me. And maybe the other several thousand who might have succumbed to the same temptation!

15 Susan Voisin December 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm

It’s such a coincidence that you asked! I just finished juicing a big bag of them. I juice them every winter, freeze the juice, and have good Meyer lemon juice throughout the year.

If you don’t want to do that, I recommend my lemon pie: http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/05/lemon-pie-filling/ You can also do a search of the site for lemons. Any recipe you find here that uses lemons was made with Meyer lemons.

16 csteph December 8, 2011 at 1:13 am

That is a brilliant idea! It never occurred to me to juice them, but I would love to have easily available frozen lemon cubes. Do you use these lemons interchangeably with other lemons, or do you have to compensate for their extra sweetness somehow?

17 Susan Voisin December 8, 2011 at 7:25 am

I sometimes add a little more of their juice if something isn’t tart enough, but I do it mostly by taste. I’ve gotten so used to them that supermarket lemons just don’t taste good. (I’m lucky that my parents grow them and I get them for free!)

18 csteph December 8, 2011 at 10:51 am

Thanks so much for your help – I’ll go start squeezing……!

19 Nicole December 8, 2011 at 5:53 pm

O! I make this all the time actually. The only real difference is that I use both carrots and beets! I roast them together first tho. Quite good really.

20 GetSkinnyGoVegan December 10, 2011 at 10:22 am

Sounds so comforting for the cold……..thanks!

21 fimere December 11, 2011 at 9:46 am

C’est très original! L’association me tente beaucoup
bonne journée
fimere

22 Annie December 11, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Just made me think how much I like roasted carrots..mmmm. Love the colors in the photos, looks great!

23 Drisana (SoulShineBlog) December 12, 2011 at 5:13 am

These look tasty and pretty simple to put together! I’ve never tried ginger in glazed carrots but I think I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

24 Kshitija December 12, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hello Susan,
One more wonderful recipe with fabulous photos. I have been following your blog for so long but this is my first comment !!! I will soon start working on my first blog.Your recipes and images have inspired me to start one !!! If I am not being impolite to ask this, would you like to share some thoughts on how well you are able to manage such a great website?

25 torviewtoronto December 12, 2011 at 8:31 pm

this looks delicious

26 It's Carmen December 31, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Yum. This is so simple, but my mouth is drooling as I read this recipe.

27 Claire February 22, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Just wanted to come back, and thank you for this lovely recipe! I served it at my yearly holiday dinner party, and it was a huge hit with omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans alike!!

28 Melissa November 29, 2013 at 4:52 am

These were a hit at my vegan Thanksgiving!

29 Tracie November 17, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I just made these last night as a test before Thanksgiving. OMG they’re good!! I could have eaten the whole dish by myself!! I will definitely make this for Thanksgiving dinner — I’m in charge of the veggie side dishes. Thanks!