Simple Scrambled Tofu and Kale with Sweet Potato Fries

by on February 6, 2012

Simple Scrambled Tofu and Kale

I’ve long relied on soups as a way to cram as many vegetables as I can into my family’s diet, but the truth is, my daughter prefers to eat her leafy greens mixed into one of her two favorite foods: lasagna and tofu. Lasagna will always be her first choice, but for a super-quick meal that hits all of the nutritional bases, I love a veggie-packed scrambled tofu with a starchy vegetable on the side. And when it comes to leafy greens, almost nothing packs more nutritional power than kale or has such a mild flavor that goes with practically any seasoning. For this easy scramble, I used about as much kale as tofu for a decidedly green main dish.

To add a different hue to my dinner plate, I chose sweet potato fries as our starchy vegetable. If you’ve never baked sweet potato fries, you’re in for a treat: Simply preheat your oven to 400F. While it’s heating, peel the potatoes (about 1 medium per person) and cut them into long, narrow strips. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spread the potato strips on it in a single layer. Sprinkle with the seasonings of your choice (I used Creole seasoning). Bake for 15 minutes, turn, sprinkle again, and bake for another 15 or until the fries are cooked all the way through. Heat under the broiler for another minute or two to crisp them up but be careful not to burn them (or the parchment!) They won’t be as crispy as fried potatoes, but they will be a delicious and fat-free side dish to go with your vegetable-tofu scramble.

Simple Scrambled Tofu and Kale

1 janet @ the taste space February 6, 2012 at 11:39 am

I love how there is so much kale packed into this, Susan! Sign me up for a quick and tasty meal! :)

2 veganisme February 6, 2012 at 11:42 am

This looks like a super easy weeknight meal. Awesome!

3 Diane February 6, 2012 at 11:42 am

My sweet potato fired NEVER come out looking like this. What is the secret to yours looking like this and mine looking burnt in some places and undercooked in others?

4 Susan Voisin February 6, 2012 at 11:54 am

I don’t know, Diane! Mine did have little spots of brown, particularly on the tips, but I just did what I said in the post and watched them like a hawk toward the end and when I had them under the broiler.

5 Sarah Jean February 6, 2012 at 11:48 am

Sounds yummy!!! Does the nutritional value include the sp fries, or is it just the scramble?
Thanks!!

6 Susan Voisin February 6, 2012 at 11:57 am

That’s just for the scramble. The nutritional info for the fries would be the same as for a medium sweet potato plus any salt added: 103 calories, 0 fat, 41mg sodium, 4g fiber, 2g protein.

7 Sarah Jean February 6, 2012 at 11:59 am

Great thank you!!

8 Tom February 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Gosh Susan. Your photography is GORGEOUSSSSSSSSS. What a stunning picture. Thank you for my weekend breakfast idea :)

9 Amy February 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm

You can also leave the skin on the baked potatoes for added fiber and nutrients.

10 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 6, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I am SO going to make this! I’ve been wanting to make scrambled tofu for the longest time! Thank you so much! <3

11 Donna Christian February 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Susan,

Thank you for your wonderful website. I have thoroughly enjoyed many of your recipes that I’ve tried. Here’s my only problem — I really do no like nutritional yeast and neither does my family. So many vegan recipes call for it, and I know it’s intended to give a cheesy type flavor. I really don’t miss cheese, I just don’t like the smell or taste of nutritional yeast. Do you have any good ideas of alternative ingredients I can try? Thanks for your help! Donna Christian

12 Susan Voisin February 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm

In recipes like this one, where only a little nutritional yeast is used to add a depth of flavor, you can just leave it out or add a little vegetable bouillon to increase the flavor. For recipes in which it’s a major ingredient, though, I’m afraid I don’t have a solution. For more info, see my post on nutritional yeast: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/what-the-heck-is-nutritional-yeast.html

13 ChenaRaw February 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Sometimes when I’m not in the mood for tofu, I make something similar to this but with cooked garbanzo beans. :)

14 moonwatcher February 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Susan, this looks great, scrumptious–I am going to have to get some tofu now next time I am at the store. I love all the colors–once again you’ve got us eating the rainbow!

Thanks,

xo

15 Vegiegail February 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Love it and pinned it! And those sweetheart fries look amazing!

16 Barbara February 6, 2012 at 11:15 pm

May sound like a silly question, but can you make the full recipe and just reheat leftovers?

17 Susan Voisin February 6, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Definitely! It reheats perfectly.

18 Alexandra February 7, 2012 at 6:03 am

This sounds delicious and quick. I’m going to try this for dinner tonight. We love kale and I have been looking for new ways to incorporate it into my family’s diet.
Thanks!!

19 Peggy February 7, 2012 at 9:39 am

Made this last night and forgot the nutritional yeast. It was sooo good. I love the kale and actually wanted more of it. Hubby says add it to the list again. First time he had eaten tofu like this and it was a winner.

Wonder how to adjust the seasonings to go toward Mediterranean? Maybe marinate the tofu first?

20 Susan Voisin February 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

I’d add oregano and basil and, if they’re on your diet, kalamata olives. Oh, and sun-dried tomatoes, too. Yum!

21 LaJuana May 7, 2012 at 10:43 am

I made this yesterday with the Mediteranian spin and it was wonderful! I didn’t have enough kale in my square foot garden to make a batch so I finished it up with rainbow chard. Added fresh basil and oregano from the garden as well….it was WONDERFUL. My first tofu scramble but for sure won’t be my last! Next time maybe I’ll even try the “fries”!
Thanks for the suggestions!

22 Landree February 7, 2012 at 10:58 am

I noticed you mention something below about vegetable bouillon and was curious: is there a bouillon that you’d recommend? The ones that I’ve seen have oil in them, and I’ve been trying to stay oil-free, BUT bouillon seems like a more affordable option than buying veggie stock.

Thanks! I love your blog and recipes so much!

23 Susan Voisin February 7, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thanks, Landree! I often use a mushroom bouillon that I buy in the Asian grocery store, and it doesn’t contain fat (though it does have too much salt). Seitenbacher and Better Than Bouillon are both fat-free, though they also contain too much salt. Rapunzel is okay for salt-free, but it contains fat. So the moral of the story is that I haven’t been able to find the perfect fat-free, low-sodium bouillon yet, but I’m still looking–and making my own broth more often.

24 Landree February 7, 2012 at 11:11 am

Ah, thank you for your speedy reply! Yeah…I may just have to suck it up and make my own broth….full disclosure, I’m a bit of a lazy cook, and for some reason I’ve balked at making my own broth.

BUT in the meantime, I love the other options that you gave me. I am trying to be mindful of sodium, but currently the biggest concern is the oil. Thanks again Susan!

25 Kale Crusaders February 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm

This recipe will definitely get us out of our tofu scramble rut. Sure we love kale and nutritional yeast but these sweet potato fries look awesome!

26 Jessie February 7, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I made this scramble for dinner tonight, adding an onion, an extra garlic clove, and doubling the spices. It was great! I’ll definitely make it again :)

27 Uli February 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm

hi susan,

i’m one of your german followers! i have had many delicious dishes from your blog, thank you!
can you do me a favor and tell me how many ounces or grams one bunch of kale actually is? i think that the german packing/packaging sizes are different and i want to get the quantities right.

thank you and warmest greetings from icy cold germany,
uli

28 Susan Voisin February 8, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Hi Uli, I actually weighed this bunch of kale, and it was 12 ounces, so I think that’s about average.

29 Uli February 9, 2012 at 8:16 am

Thank you Susan, that helps a lot!

30 Vicky (Sweet and Healthy Living) February 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I always wondered how you make sweet potato fries without oil! They look great! I will definitely try it!

31 Katie February 9, 2012 at 7:55 pm

This looks wonderful and something I’ve never had before. This may be a silly question but do you drain and press the tofu first? Also, did you chop it up or does it scramble easily?

32 Susan Voisin February 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Not silly at all! Yes you drain the tofu, but you don’t need to press it. Then use your hands to crumble it into the skillet. I should have made that more clear.

33 Emily Soleil February 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm

LOVING this recipe! We’ve already made it twice. And I add a bit of thyme and celery salt to it as well as some Sirache sauce to the finished product. SO good!

34 Judy February 10, 2012 at 7:10 pm

This looks great! I look forward to trying it.

35 Christie February 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Interesting! I never tried making sweet potato fries without the oil – never thought of parchment. Hooray!

36 Leilani February 11, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I find myself perusing and using your website at least 3 times a week. And lately I’ve been pining away for a real cookbook made by YOU!!!! Is there one in the works???? Please say yes!

37 Susan Voisin February 11, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I’m considering it, but it would mean time away from writing recipes for the blog, so it’s one of those tough decisions. Thanks for letting me know you’d like one–that helps!

38 Marsha February 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Just made this for lunch for my young vegan who adored it! So incredibly tasty. I added some onions to the mushrooms and peppers when I sauteed them. So good! Thanks Susan!

39 Lannie February 12, 2012 at 1:17 am

this sounds totally delicious. love your vegan recipes.

40 Gena February 12, 2012 at 7:16 am

Tofu scramble was my dinner of choice when I first went vegan – I ate it so much I actually got really sick of it! But now that some time has passed, it remains a favorite dish. This looks terrific.

41 brinkley February 12, 2012 at 7:29 am

This was so delicious, even my 13 month old munched on the fries and tori. We had leftovers and wrapped them up for breakfast burritos this morning. Thank you!

42 Lori Lynn February 12, 2012 at 9:27 am

I have made several tofu scramble recipes and my families never liked it. I just couldn’t get the seasonings right, even with black salt. I tried this recipe and the whole family loved it, including the kale. I did add black salt, but made everything else exactly as you specify. Thank you so much for adding another recipe to our regular rotation. The sweet potato fries were yummy too!

43 eila @ the full plate blog February 12, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I am so thrilled to have come across your site, via the Circle of Mom’s top vegan/veg mom blogger contest. As I try to incorporate more meatless meals into my family’s repertoire, your site is a wonderful source of inspiration. I actually just added it to my list of “sites that inspire” on my blog, in hopes that my readers will come over and delve into the delicious recipes and ideas you have shared. Thank you for taking the time to create such a wonderful resource for all of us. Warmly, Eila Johnson, writer of the full plate blog

44 Rebekah February 12, 2012 at 12:43 pm

What a beautiful meal! I love having a good color balance on my plate, too. I’ve tried sweet potato fries but always coated them in oil – and yours look exactly the same! I will have to try your oil-free recipe. I’ve been trying to reduce or eliminate oil wherever it doesn’t make a big taste or texture difference.

You know what really pops out at me in that photo though? Those mushrooms! They look so delicious I can almost taste them.

45 d'ayann hicksa February 12, 2012 at 5:36 pm

i loved this recipe. i made a pot and ate it for breakfast lunch and dinner,
with the baked fries.

46 sandra jayne February 12, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I made this tonight. Soooo delicious. Definitely a keeper. :) Thank you!

47 Amy February 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I hate to say this, but I’ve been a vegetarian for over 18 years and this was the first time I’ve ever had a tofu scramble. It was fantastic! I’m not sure why I waited so long!

48 Cara February 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I love that you’ve gone kale-crazy! I just recently made a tofu scramble for the first time, and we really enjoyed it – looks like your variation is up next!

49 Maaike February 15, 2012 at 8:01 am

I tried it the other night and it was great! I didn’t have mushrooms but my hubby would have picked them out anyway – he and I definitely had a good filling meal that night (which is hard when we have two little ones) Thanks Susan!

50 Kristen Wingenroth February 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm

This looks delicious! Would it be ok to eat leftover? Thanks for the awesome website! I made the potato soup in my Vitamix last nite and plan on making your stuffed collards this weekend. My friend just brought me 10 heads!

51 Susan Voisin February 15, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Sure! Leftovers make a great wrap, too. Enjoy your collards!

52 lea February 17, 2012 at 8:44 am

Delicious! Equally good with ketchup or salsa on top. I am thinking of filling a wrap with my leftovers for lunch… Yum!

53 Maggie Muggins February 17, 2012 at 10:59 am

Mmmm, I love the simplicity of this meal and photo is gorgeous, so vibrant! I never think to make scrambles for a quick weeknight meal, thanks for the inspiration, I know what I’m having for dinner tonight.

54 Dr. Cat, The Happy Rehab Doc February 21, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Susan thanks so much for linking to my blog post on kale in this post!! It was wonderful to have so many new readers read something I wrote!! Thank you!! :-))

55 Laura February 29, 2012 at 8:15 am

Yummmmmmm! Tried this the other day with a few added veggies as my first tofu scramble recipe. Let’s just say I was not disappointed and have great visions of tofu scrambles in my future. Maybe even breakfast ones! Thanks for the inspiration and great recipes. I have enjoyed several others as well:)

56 Vegetarian February 29, 2012 at 7:25 pm

This sure packs a lot of nutritional value especially for breakfast or light meal(less the fries). Based from the picture, and if i’m not mistaken, it seems like you used button mushrooms for this recipe? I was wondering though if other kinds of mushrooms goes well with this dish.

57 Susan Voisin February 29, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Sure, any kind of mushrooms will do. I have another scrambled tofu recipe in the archives that uses porcini mushrooms.

58 Tam March 4, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Hello Susan.
I was craving tofu scramble, especially something I can make for brunch on Sundays.
Instead, I’m having this for dinner tonight.

I’ve substituted the kale (didn’t have any…) for baby spinach (I had plenty..) and, I only added a tiny bit of nooch. I’m not a big fan of nooch. :-(

Next time, can I use nama shoyu for flavoring? I can save the leftover nooch for a mac and cheese or polenta recipe instead.

Thanks Susan.

59 Susan Voisin March 4, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Yes, Tam! That’s the beauty of this recipe–you can flavor it however you like.

60 Tam March 4, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Thanks Susan! I can’t wait to try your other recipes!!

61 Laina March 9, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Susan, this dish is fantastically delish! I add onions to everything and this was no exception. :-)

Didn’t have kale so used frozen Collards. I also added some oregano. Here in NM cumin and oregano hold hands. :-)

The frozen Collards got me to thinking about your ridicously easy meals. If someone so desired, they could use frozen bell pepper, the garlic that’s already chopped for you or maybe granulated garlic. I always use fresh, but for a quick meal in a pinch, the other choices are available and nice to have around. :-)

Frozen greens are nice and easy, we have Swiss Chard, Collards and spinach in our local frozen section of the grocery store. I normally have some in my freezer. Also for fresh, Earthbound has the organic greens and baby grens would be nice too. We just recently got Earthbound organic kale here.

So sorry to be so windy, but just thought that might help some others to give this a try……it’s a winner!!! :-)

62 Marsha December 10, 2012 at 9:44 am

I’m trying to switch to vegan and eggs are the hardest thing for me to give up. This looks so wonderful! I was glad to see this comment about using frozen collard greens in place of fresh kale. Do you know how I convert the amounts in frozen versus fresh greens? I have frozen kale and collard greens but I haven’t been using them since most recipes call for fresh. I would like to use them up. Thanks!

63 Alaine March 16, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I love everything about this recipe! I am up for trying anything with kale. Can’t wait to whip it up. The picture looks delicious

64 Sara April 5, 2012 at 5:21 am

Will frozen tofu work okay?

65 Susan Voisin April 5, 2012 at 8:30 am

Frozen tofu will have a chewier, less creamy texture. I wouldn’t like it in scrambled tofu, but if you think you would, then give it a try.

66 Pamela April 16, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Made this for my roommates, total hit! Added asparagus, egg, and extra spices. It’s definitely gunna be a regular for us! Thank you!

67 Aine June 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I’m making this wonderful combo for the third time! It’s so delicious and satisfying, and now it’s become a part of my Saturday morning routine. It’s easy to remember to pick up the ingredients. My only trouble is in finding smoked paprika. I know it must somewhere in this city, so I will keep searching. Thanks again for sharing this fabulous recipe!

68 Susan Voisin June 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Do you have a Marshall’s or TJMaxx? I know it sounds strange, but they often have it.

69 Katie June 2, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I found smoked paprika at Target.

70 Sheila June 27, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Made this for my dinner tonight. It is wonderful! This was my first time to try kale. I thought it was very yummy. This comes together very fast and I am looking forward to the left overs tomorrow. I will definitely make this again.

71 Heather Cyr July 16, 2012 at 7:16 am

As a brandy-new vegan I was very excited to find this website as the recipes look yummy, nutritious, and easy to make (a plus for me since I do not like to cook).

I am curious, however, about the fat content of the tofu scramble. The ingredients are all very low in fat so how does it end up with 7 grams of fat?

have a wonderful day

72 Susan Voisin July 16, 2012 at 8:25 am

It’s from the tofu, which derives almost half its calories from fat. Soybeans are naturally high in fat, and that fat gets passed along when they’re made into tofu.

73 Ilene August 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I made the tofu scramble with kale for lunch today. Delicious! I added a chopped onion and used chili pepper instead of cumin. I don’t have any smoked paprika but that sounds good so will see if I can find it somewhere to try next time.

74 terri October 23, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I just want to look at recipes…..why am I stuck in this annoying leave a comment screen every time I try?

75 Susan Voisin October 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I’ve never encountered that problem! Try this: Look up at your address bar. The address should end in html. If there’s anything after html, delete it and hit return. You should go up to the top of the page.

76 Lori Deza November 8, 2012 at 9:09 am

I was craving tofu scramble but knew I needed to get some green veggies into my meal. This is the perfect solution. The addition of the smoked paprika gives it a kick. It tastes great and I have my veggies. Thanks!

77 Melissa January 13, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Hey, I just happened to stumble across your blog and love it! And I appreciate that you’re willing to SHARE your recipes with the world — healthy, low fat, plant based meals are what this world needs the most and you’re contributing to making a healthier America. Thank you so much for what you do! =)

78 Cassi February 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm

This was delicious and filling! I didn’t have peppers and mushrooms on hand, but I still loved it! I also used less yeast flakes. So for anyone on a student budget, you can cut these things out and it still tastes great!

79 Radha March 4, 2013 at 8:48 pm

My recipe is quite close to this one but I think that Soya sauce really adds to the taste of the scrambled tofu.

80 Ronta' March 14, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Would tempeh be an okay substitute for the tofu?

81 Susan Voisin March 14, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Scrambled tempeh? It would definitely be different, more like ground beef than scrambled eggs.

82 bikeandhikenc March 14, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I make this at least once a month. Just had it Monday with the last of the kale from the garden and some asparagus as a side. It is one of my “go to” dishes and we love it!

83 Angela May 8, 2013 at 3:23 am

I made this for dinner tonight and it was REALLY good! I added zucchini and onion … Yum! And we added some hot sauce at the end. Thanks for the great recipe!

84 Deobrah June 9, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Hi Susan. I want to incorporate tofu into my diet and the scramble sounds delicious. I’m new to cooking with tofu. Do I need to press out the water as you mentioned in other recipes or do I simply drain the package for the scramble? Thanks! A Flexitarian Newbie

85 Susan Voisin June 9, 2013 at 8:14 pm

For this one, you just drain the water off and you’re good to go. Hope you enjoy it!

86 Sara G. July 28, 2013 at 7:40 am

Susan, this recipe is a verified hit at my house. Thank you! Between this and your Chili Mac, I have two weeknight staples that my two boys love and that include kale! That makes me a happy mom.

87 NK November 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Thanks! I finally made it today.I was not sure how will it fit in my every day indian menu, but i still made it. While it was getting cooked, i was making my lunch salad. I hate to use store bought dressings, so i thought, voilla!!! lets add scrambled tofu-kale to my lettuce-cucumber-bell pepper salad! awesome! I don’t need dressing now on my salad and it taste soooo good!
Thanks! I will bake sweet potatoes in evening to go with it for dinner for my husband and kids…

88 Julia Burke November 4, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Hi
Please can you explain why you add the nutritional yeast to the receipes. Thanks

89 Susan Voisin November 4, 2013 at 8:56 pm

The short answer is that it gives an eggy, cheesy flavor. For more information, see this post: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/what-the-heck-is-nutritional-yeast.html

90 Monica November 12, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I’ve made this several times and we always love it! It’s quick, easy (one wok or big skillet) and really fun to make. Sometimes I cut down on the nut yeast to save some WW calories (yes, it does have calories!) but for 5 “old” WW points, we can have an amazing dinner that is healthy and delicious, including the fries! Sometimes, I cut the tofu into tiny cubes instead of crumbling it, and it actually looks even prettier. My family and I LOVE this recipe!

91 meshell February 27, 2014 at 5:04 am

Can you freeze and reheat this?

92 Susan Voisin February 27, 2014 at 5:28 am

Yes. The texture may change a little, but it will still be good.