Burritos with Spanish Rice and Black Beans

by on March 5, 2012

Burritos with Spanish Rice

A Facebook friend asked me recently if I had a list of my favorite recipes, and I was sorry to say that I didn’t. But what a good idea! Or so I thought, until I started to name all the recipes I considered favorites and found that the list would be so long that it would be useless. So I decided to reshape the question: Which recipes do I make over and over again? I decided to focus on the recipes I actually make week-in and week-out plus a few that I make regularly for holidays or special occasions, such as green bean casserole for Thanksgiving.

After I thought of it like that, my list became both much shorter and much less fancy. It includes the Dirty Little Secret Soup that I make once a week (a little differently each time), the chickpea “tuna” salad I pack in my daughter’s lunch, and at least 4 different kinds of split-pea soup. All have been thoroughly tested and are dishes that we–teenager included–love. You can see the full list of my family’s favorites here (it’s now a regular category in the recipe index).

As I was making the list, I asked my husband to help me think of every meal we eat regularly, and I was a little surprised to discover that several of the dishes in our regular rotation haven’t appeared on the blog. I guess I’ve been so busy trying to feature new recipes that I haven’t bothered with the very simple, stand-by dishes that make up a big part of our diet. So I’ve decided to rectify that. For the next three weeks, I’ll be adding a new “old” recipe each week. I’ll reveal what food we always travel with and tell you how to make the vegetable-rich pasta dish my daughter loves.

My first old favorite reveals another “dirty little secret” of my family’s eating habits: about once a week, we eat burritos for dinner. On really rushed nights, we rely on canned fat-free refried beans (I know, I know–sodium and BPA, but we’re talking emergency meals) and wrap them in whole wheat tortillas along with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, jalapenos, and my daughter’s specialty, guacamole (there’s another recipe I’ve never posted.) But when I have leftover brown rice, I skip the refried beans and throw together this easy Spanish rice. It makes a great burrito filling or side dish and doesn’t take much longer than heating up a can of beans.

Burritos with Spanish Rice

Current day month ye@r *

1 Carol March 5, 2012 at 11:02 am

Thanks for all the great recipes! I print them and put them in page protectors in a 3 ring binder! Great blog!

2 Sarah March 12, 2012 at 10:45 am

That’s so funny, I do this too!! It’s the “cookbook” that I use the most! I absolutely LOVE this blog!

3 Ilene March 20, 2012 at 10:00 pm

How funny – that’s what I’m doing too!

4 Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 5, 2012 at 11:44 am

These sound delicious- I love the Spanish rice twist. Burritos & enchiladas are big time regulars at our house ;)

5 Caryn March 5, 2012 at 12:59 pm

That recipe looks great. By the way, Amy’s low-sodium black refried beans are great. And the company assures me the cans no longer have BPA in them. I buy them by the case from Amazon!

6 Susan Voisin March 5, 2012 at 1:03 pm

That is great to hear! Thanks for the tip!

7 Katie Loss March 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Eden bean cans don’t have BPA either. Also, Eden has several no salt varieties. Thanks Susan for creating a Family Favorites tag for recipes. It’s great to have tried and true, quick things to whip up. I love your blog and recipes. Have you considered plunging into writing a cookbook? I’d be first in line! I guess you’ve been around that lengthy complex process already by photographing for Nava Atlas.

8 megan March 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Thank you for posting these down-and-dirty recipes! I think we all have a few we revert back to time and time again and I’m excited to have some of yours!

9 Marian Hamilton March 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm

WOWZERS!!! I am so glad you added a new category for the Recipe Index – will sure make it easier for me to find all those YUMBO recipes that are your family faves! THANK YOU, Susan! (I voted, btw…..) xxooxx

10 Farial March 5, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hi! What kind of tortillas/wraps do you use? I am yet to find a brand I love. Thanks, love your blog! xo

11 Tera March 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm

One of my favorite wraps/ tortillas (okay, it’s a wrap, but could work as a tortilla!) is the Flatout Whole Wheat 100%. It’s delicious, and 100 calories per (large) wrap. They’re vegan, and sold in bulk at Costco. I’ve tried some other wraps and tortillas, and a few 100 calorie tortillas are okay, but not as tasty or large as Flatout. Plus, flatout has 9 g of protein and 1.5 g fat. :)

12 Lauren B March 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Flatout wraps are not vegan. The L-cysteine in them is not derived from a vegan source. I emailed the company earlier this year to ask and they confirmed that the wraps are not vegan. Most products with L-cysteine are not.

13 vegan gypsy June 2, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I emailed the company a few months ago and they informed me that several flavors of their wraps no longer contain L-cysteine. Supposedly they are in the process of making new packaging reflecting the change. I’ll believe it when I see it. :)

14 Jen @ Lita's World March 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Classic…I love simple throw together recipes for those “emergency” evenings…which seem to happen a lot around here! Thanks!

15 Sally March 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Out of interest – how might you modify this if you couldn’t eat tomatoes? I know…it’s not easy!

16 Susan Voisin March 5, 2012 at 6:44 pm

That is so tough! I would probably just leave the tomatoes out and add some vegetable broth for moisture. It wouldn’t be the same, but I can’t think of a good substitute.

17 stephanie January 11, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I know this is an old question, but you could try tomatillos. I have used them in this before and they are good, but have different taste that you may need to get used to. They tend not to be as acidic, but need to be peeled and steamed or boiled before they will become soft enough to use for this. Warning: I am not sure why you can’t have tomatoes, but tomatillos are in the nightshade family just like eggplant and tomatoes.
If you cannot eat nightshades you could give tamarind paste a try. I have never used it in this recipe but I do cook with it every summer when my cousin who cannot eat nightshades comes to town, and it is pretty good. You could also substitute mole if you are willing to get adventurous with traditional Mexican dishes. I cannot find a vegan version, so I usually make my own, a whole big pot and freeze it in batches. Good luck!

18 Nancy March 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I could not find the recipe for the tortillas to make the burritos with. Do you have a fat free recipe for tortillas with?

19 Susan Voisin March 5, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Nancy, I don’t, but I will put it on my list of recipes to work on.

20 Mandy March 5, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I love all your recipes and photos. i refer to them often for ideas and inspiration… Maybe you should think of a cookbook..I know I’d buy it!
Thanks!!! …and keep posting!!!

21 Yadsia @ShopCookMake March 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I just finished eating this dish. It took me under 20 mins to prepare and about 5 to eat it! Delicious

22 Jaye Denman March 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Just voted for FatFreeVegan in The Homies ‘Healthy Cooking’ category. Susan’s blog is in second place, only 15 votes behind the first place blog. EVERYBODY HURRY UP AND VOTE FOR FATFREEVEGAN! We know this blog deserves to win….If you’re not registered with that site, it will only take you two minutes, then you can vote. Good luck, Susan!

23 Susan Voisin March 5, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Thank you so much, Jaye! I can personally guarantee that that is a reputable site that will not spam you, so thanks for encouraging people to vote.

24 Karen Faivre March 5, 2012 at 6:39 pm

What a GORGEOUS looking burrito. You take such great pictures!

25 Ambika March 5, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Yummy! I love burritos, the spanish brown rice looks amazing!

26 Melody March 5, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Looks great, and will score me points with my hubby when I pack it in his lunch.

27 Rochelle A March 5, 2012 at 8:53 pm

You have saved dinner time for me many, many times! Being an avid ETL follower, your blog is a God send. Thus I felt it was my duty to vote for your blog. You are the best!!

28 wendy (healthy girls kitchen) March 6, 2012 at 5:33 am

I love the idea about hearing about the food that you guys eat on a regular basis!

29 Amy March 6, 2012 at 2:06 pm

This sounds really good!!! I am going to make it tonight for myself and also use the this as a base and add chicken for my boys!! It is nice to have a recipe that I can use 2 ways – make life so much easier for me!!!!

30 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 6, 2012 at 3:12 pm

They look SO good! Your recipes are the best, Susan. :D

31 greens March 6, 2012 at 9:26 pm

The Family Favorites section is a great idea. Looking forward to adding a few new dishes to our frequent foods rotation list. Also, I am in need of a week’s worth of vegan recipes to prepare ahead and freeze. Would you suggest a few? Thanks!

32 Maureen March 7, 2012 at 1:05 am

I just voted – you are currently in the lead!! Everyone – get on over there and vote!!!

33 Archana March 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

Awesome recipe. The site however does not let me vote.

34 Susan Voisin March 7, 2012 at 10:27 am

Sorry, Archana, but thanks for trying! You have to register for the site, and then some people have found that they have to close their browser and come back before it allows them to vote. I know that’s a lot of trouble!

35 Vicky (Sweet and Healthy Living) March 8, 2012 at 10:45 am

This recipe looks delicious! I love mexican!

36 Ellen (Gluten Free Diva) March 8, 2012 at 8:40 pm

What a clever and useful list! Much food for thought, pardon the pun. Thanks for sharing your truth – makes all of us seem more normal. And this recipe is a simple keeper!

37 Maria March 9, 2012 at 12:09 am

These look so good! I love black beans so I’ll definitely want to try that!

38 Christie March 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Hi,
I love your blog! Especially the recipes for sweets! Could you write how did you create it? I mean is it on something like blogger.com? I love the design!

39 Lex March 11, 2012 at 1:29 am

check out Fig beans, they come in cardboard/soymilk style containers with no BPA, ready to eat. No harm in quick microwave meals or canned meals, the reality is most of us eat like that 99% of the time!

40 Vibeke March 12, 2012 at 7:44 am

I made this rice dish last week but instead of rolling it up in burritos, I just ate it topped with creamed kale. http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2011/07/creamed-kale-dairy-free.html DELICIOUS!!!

41 Gwen Z March 12, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I made the Hummus in the Blender for lunch and these burritos for supper. Both were delicious! Thank you for sharing all your yummy recipes – I love them!

42 Abigail March 15, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Hi Sue, thank you so much for the recipes you are sending me. Your page makes me think of heaven; everything about it is so beautiful. I know it takes time and effort to have this done. You are a blessing to me, and so many others. I thank God for you, my friend. Hope we can talk when you are available. Hugs. Abi.

43 Destini March 15, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I will be making these for lunch next week!!! Fantastic recipe.

44 Christina March 24, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Another hit! Super easy and yummy! I love food with a lot of spice and this really hit the spot! Thanks Susan!

45 Connie Allen March 30, 2012 at 2:22 am

I would like permission to print off Spanish Rice with Black Beans. Could I share this recipe with my aunt. My uncle had a heart attack, and I am looking for no-fat, no salt recipes. I can always eliminate the salt from recipes, and this one looked tasty enough to do just that. I appreciate your efforts to make healthy recipes to share with us who need the ideas. I too read Caldwell Esselstyn’s book and John McDougall, I think both of these men are right on. Does it cost money to subscribe to this web site? Do I need to ask for permission for every recipe that I want to print off? Sincerely, Connie Allen

46 Susan Voisin March 30, 2012 at 7:30 am

Hi Connie, feel free to print any recipe you like! The website is totally free, and I want you to share the recipes with your friends. All I ask is that people not post my photos and recipes on other websites. Thanks for asking!

47 Tam April 3, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Another hit recipe!! I just made a huge pot of this tonight. Great for leftover burritos and tacos. I’ll add some avocado and cilantro on the side too!

Thanks a bunch!

48 Cathie April 7, 2012 at 7:09 pm

We absolutely loved this! Added fresh cilantro, corn and splash of fresh lime – look forward to having this often – thank you! Cathie & Steve

49 Judy April 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm

The sweet potato cauliflower curry soup is a hit, not only for my vegan fans in the family but the “meat eating yuck y=tofu group”. I have made this soup a dozen times and now it is a special request for potlucks , co-workers and fam in the mainland….soooooo good and easy to put together….what meat????
I love your website and tonight am going to try the burritos….being a vegan has been less stressful reading your website and learning your recipes…Mahalo from Hawaii!!!

50 PatB April 29, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I was unable to find the smoked paprika at a reasonable price. Shaw’s supermarket had a little Spice Islands jar for $9! I was able to get the Chipotle chile at a co-op which has bulk spices. I will have to use regular paprika this time and hope that the burritos will still be good. I do intend to buy the smoked paprika from an Internet store for future use.

51 Esther J May 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Made these for my mother as she was craving rice, but also wanted a taco (yes, kinda weird). So I split the difference and made her these burritos. I punched up the spices a bit and made a burrito bar with corn with cilantro, olives, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, and guac. She also added some vegan cheese. She loved it!

Much appreciated, Mrs. V.

52 Bex May 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Wonderful recipe, as usual. We needed something quick and easy for dinner, and this fit the bill perfectly.

53 Jody June 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm

My kids just ate this. One picked out as many beans as he could, but he ate it! And to make matters even weirder – my HUSBAND ate it (with some chicken of course – but that is a battle that I won’t be winning). Thank you so much for a meal that my husband said that I can make again. I have had a hard time finding recipes that are vegan and the whole family likes, and am glad to have one to add to my meal plan.

54 Karina July 26, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I am not very talented in the kitchen, I am going to give it a try, the rice looks really good!!

55 Jessica July 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I made this with quinoa instead of brown rice & added a couple of handfuls of chopped baby bellas and it was SO GOOD!! Spices were perfect. Delicious in a burrito OR by itself.

56 marjorie August 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I just made this and it was pretty yummy. Wasn’t flavorful enough for me though, so I added some soy sauce and more chili powder, etc. Thanks for the recipe–your blog is great!

57 Becky October 11, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Hi, this looks delicious and I have so many of your recipes marked I can’t wait to start cooking, I love what your doing! I was just wondering, I have a low budget and don’t have a lot of the “extra” things and I only have regular paprika and regular chili powder, do I need to do anything different to make sure I don’t ruin this recipe? Or do I need the specialty powders? Thanks!

58 Wendy April 2, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Becky, I used regular paprika and regular chili powder. I did purchase the chipotle chili powder just for this recipe simply because I knew I would like the flavor. I don’t like to buy things for one recipe either. I also don’t like a smokey flavor.
I say try it! The recipe is so yummy I doubt you will miss what you leave out.

59 Leslie October 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Oh my gosh! I made this recipe this weekend, wrapped them in some oat/flax seed wraps, froze them and finally just had one for lunch. Delish!! Much cheaper and better than an Amy’s frozen burrito. Loved it. Thank you!

60 Kirsten November 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Many thanks for this recipe!

I’ve been in a food rut lately, making the same things over and over, and I just couldn’t take it anymore. Then I found this recipe. I upped the spices quite a bit — some like it hot! — but otherwise followed the recipe. Ate it with homemade guacamole and tortilla chips. It was delicious! Can’t thank you enough.

Now off to find more fun new recipes…

61 stephanie January 11, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Susan, I loved these burritos! I recently had to gluten free and the only thing I was truly sad about giving up ( I used to be a professional baker, so most bread stuffs are played out to me) was Mexican food and tortillas! Just not right for an AZ girl!!! I recently discovered I could make some pretty good non-gross gluten free corn tortillas from corn flour, salt, a squeeze of lime juice, water, and I use golden flax to bind them bc chia makes them raise a bit. They are gluten free and fat free, so they still don’t wrap very well; I usually fill them with beans, this amazing rice, occasionally your cheeze sauce and then top with veggies once baked. All in all, it takes me a whole day to make the enchilada sauce, beans, rice and tortillas, so it not a quick meal! But, it is an amazing treat and I can never get enough of this rice!

62 Toni Cooper March 18, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I’m on a cooking roll today. We just had this for dinner and it was delish !!! I’m going to take some left overs for lunch tomorrow and add it to my salad. I also made the carrot salad…wow I’m having it for breakfast in the morning. Thanks Susan !

63 Wendy April 2, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I just finished making these and they are so good! They have a nice flavor with a little kick, just the way I like them. Thank you for sharing your recipes with us.

64 Harrison June 3, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I’m sure you do this but remember to check the refried beans for the use of lard. Some brands don’t use lard but off-hand I don’t remember which brands are lard-free.

65 Susan Voisin June 3, 2013 at 4:12 pm

None of the fat-free refried beans use lard (because lard is pure fat).

66 Esther J June 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Oh, I just love this rice. I had some corn which I had cut off the cob and frozen, and some beet greens to use up, so I threw those in there, and garnished with cilantro, lime juice, salsa, and a little avocado. So yummy.

It made for a delectable Sunday dinner. My belly is much obliged:)

67 Angie January 18, 2014 at 7:32 pm

YUMMY!! I love this recipe and have made it several times now. Great for lunches. I added 1 small can of salt-free tomato sauce for a bit more tomato taste and subbed the jalapeno and used chili flakes instead. Zing!

68 Maureen D May 6, 2014 at 6:57 am

Wow! I made these for Cinco de Mayo and they were absolutely delicious. My husband declared them “excellent”. I used 2 1/2 cups cooked rice instead of 4, and didn’t need to modify any other ingredients. This one will definitely be making repeat appearances at our dinner table. Thank you!

69 kathy May 8, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Very good! I did leave out the hot pepper and yellow pepper because I just tonight decided to cut meat and dairy out of my diet and my kitchen is understocked! Turned out very good and tasty! Did not miss meat at all! My first vegan meal!
Kathy

70 Susan Voisin May 9, 2014 at 5:50 am

Congratulations on cutting out meat and dairy! I hope you’ll have many more delicious vegan meals.