Tofu-Cashew Mayonnaise

by on April 19, 2012

Tofu-Cashew Mayonnaise

So much depends upon mayo. If you think that’s an exaggeration, try eating a dry sandwich or a tempeh salad with nothing but lemon juice to moisten it. For omnivores, the solution is easy: Grab a jar of egg-based mayonnaise off any supermarket shelf. For vegans, it’s a little more difficult; oil-based Vegenaise* and soy-based Nayonaise* aren’t exactly everywhere, but people in larger towns and cities should be able to track them down. However, for those of us who avoid added oil, there’s only one packaged option, the strange-tasting, not-very-mayonnaisey Fat Free Nayonaise*. Well, I say “Nay” to Nayonaise. Make your own mayo!

Tofu-based mayonnaise recipes abound–FatFree Vegan Recipes has some here, here, and here–but most are too sweet and all taste too much like blended silken tofu for my family’s tastes. My husband and daughter have gotten used to the not-fat-free stuff in the jar, and when our local stores recently stopped carrying the brand we use, I knew I had to create something that they would like as much or more.

We’ve never met a cashew-based dressing or sauce that we didn’t like, so I combined the fluffiness of silken tofu with the flavor (and a little fat) of blended cashews to come up with a mayo that somehow manages to be lighter than regular Nayonaise and much, much better than FatFree Nayonaise. Even with the fat from the cashews, a tablespoon of my mayo contains only 15 calories and less than a gram of fat. You can use it on sandwiches, in salads, even in cooked dishes–anywhere you’d use mayo. You can also use it instead of oil in any oil-based salad dressing, instantly transforming it into a creamy dressing. Try blending a couple tablespoons of it into my Balsamic-Raisin Dressing. Or mix it with sweet relish to make a tartar sauce perfect for serving with Jackfruit “Crab” Cakes. Yum!

Tofu-Cashew Mayo

asterisk Vegenaise Original has 90 calories and 9 grams of fat per tablespoon. Regular Nayonaise has 35 calories and 3.5 grams of fat. Fat Free Nayonaise has 10 calories and 0 grams of fat.

Update:
I tried freezing and then defrosting the mayo, and it came out a little less fluffy but still tasting the same.

1 Cadry April 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm

This is very intriguing! I like the flavor of Vegenaise, but I don’t use it very often because it’s not the healthiest of spreads. How long do you think your mayo will keep in the refrigerator?

2 Susan Voisin April 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I’m experimenting with it now to see how long it will last, but my guess is just 2 or 3 weeks since there are no preservatives in it. It’s easy to halve the recipe, so I recommend doing that if you won’t use it up that quickly.

3 Cadry May 17, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I made this a few days ago. The whippy texture is so lovely and the flavor is the perfect canvas for sandwiches. I love having an oil-free alternative to Vegenaise! Thanks!

4 Joanna @ Running Places December 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm

How long it will keep was the first question that popped into my head! Halving the recipe is a good idea :)

5 Susan Voisin December 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm

People say it freezes well, but I haven’t tried it.

6 Shelley April 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Susan, I love you. :) Thank you for this recipe. No exaggeration, I think you just saved my summer.

7 Sara April 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Hello Susan! I’m very excited about trying this mayo recipe, but since I don’t have a high speed blender or cashew butter, would it work to soak the cashews over night and then blend in a standard blender or food processor? Thanks.

8 Susan Voisin April 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Sara, I think it will work. Enjoy!

9 Shellie May 7, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I was just going to ask the same re soaking the cashews. Can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks.

10 wendy (healthy girl's kitchen) April 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I am so going to try this the next time when I would have passed by a recipe because it has mayo in it. No longer!

11 Pat April 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm

We are just beginning to leave behind dairy, fat, meat, etc. and I am loving your web site. I’ve already tried a number of recipes. This will be one I try very soon because my favorite sandwich (since childhood) is peanut butter and mayonnaise and I’ve been a little whiny about giving it up. I’m assuming this will go well with almond butter (my fav). Thanks!

12 Outdoorgrrl April 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I have a jar of Veganaise in my fridge, but don’t use it very often. It’s just a jar of fat in my book. This looks like an delicious alternative for making chickpea salad sandwiches and the like. I’m going to give this a try! Thanks!

13 Kale Crusaders April 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Such a great idea to include cashews! Cashews magically make everything better.

14 Heather @ Better With Veggies April 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

This looks awesome – great idea!! I have been buying Vegenaise, but I love the idea of making my own healthier version. :)

15 Katrina April 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm

How funny that you posted this recipe! Just yestersay I was thinking of vegan mayo substitudes. Too bad my son has an allergy to nuts…

16 Susan Voisin April 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Check out the recipes I linked to in the second paragraph. They all use tofu but no nuts.

17 Katrina April 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Thank you!!!

18 Ninufar April 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm

You can also try tahini paste (ground sesame seeds), if they’re okay for your son. Oddly enough, this afternoon (before reading this post) I decided to try another vegan mayo recipe, too, mixing silken tofu (fresh in a tub kind), hummus with tahini in it, and more lemon juice & mustard, & it’s great! Can mix with a fork and wire whisk, if you’re not set on a perfectly even texture.

19 JL goes Vegan April 19, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Oh, my, I’m totally going to make this!

20 Susan April 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm

hi. Do you think the mayo can be frozen? Thanks for all the great recipes Susan.

21 Susan Voisin April 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I haven’t tried freezing it. Give me a few days to try it, and I will get back to you.

22 Michelle Bolanger April 26, 2012 at 9:39 am

Any word on how it worked frozen?

23 Susan Voisin May 2, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Freezing works! No difference in taste or texture, though perhaps a little less fluffy.

24 Val @ Tips on Healthy Living April 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Really creative! Any other nuts that you can suggest using? Would almonds would work as well?

25 Susan Voisin April 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Cashews are much creamier than almonds, so they are what I recommend. But you can always experiment with other nuts and see what happens.

26 Val @ Tips on Healthy Living April 20, 2012 at 9:39 am

Ah OK, good to know, thanks! I might try with walnuts because I’m not a huge cashew fan.

27 Janae Wise April 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Aren’t cashews amazing! I LUV them. They are a vegans dream. Thanks for the recipe, your pictures are always so lovely.

28 Somer April 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

That is brilliant! I love vegenaise, but have been trying to make a mayo without oil, to use for sandwiches and dips and that still tastes good and will work with the “eat to live” diet. This looks like it will fit the bill exactly! Thanks!

29 Liz Ellis April 19, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Would you consider posting some simple dressing recipes using this new vegan mayo. Maybe a creamy “honey” mustard or thousand island?

Thanks for the recipe :)

Also, thanks to your blog, I’ve been vegan for almost two years now. I’m a life time vegan :)

30 Kelsey April 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I like Vegenaise but I’ve never tried a homemade version! This sounds perfect.

31 Testarosa April 19, 2012 at 4:32 pm

How about coming up with a recipe that doesn’t contain soy products since some of us are allergic?

Testarosa

32 Val Lewis April 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Testarosa,
Just leave it out and double the cashews….I have made mock mayo using only soaked cashews (makes them softer- soak overnight), plus the lemon juice, mustard, salt, onion powder and I add garlic because I love it. You could also throw in a couple of good chopped olives (not canned ones)

33 Marcia April 19, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Thank you for your suggestion Val – I will try it and let you know!

34 Marcia April 29, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Val – just to follow up on my I-will-try-it-and-let-you-know post: I doubled the cashews as suggested and left the rest as is. I discovered that there wasn’t enough “liquid” to allow the nuts to smooth out so I added some unsweetened almond milk until it reached the right consistency. After it looked okay, I tasted it and discovered the lemon juice was a bit over powering. I think I would at least triple the amount of cashews or more if I were going to keep the other ingredients the same. I wondered about making the “liquid” half lemon juice and half Braggs Cider Vinegar or maybe all cider vinegar. I didn’t want to add garlic this time but once I get it worked out, I will probably try it because I bet it would be a nice addition! All in all a great effort and a wonderful idea so I’m thrilled…thanks to all for your input.

35 Jessica May 2, 2012 at 3:22 pm

There are PLENTY of recipes on this website that are soy free. And last time I checked, this wasn’t soyfreevegan.com so maybe a little less snark on a website packed with FREE recipes that plenty of people are excited about.

36 Ali June 17, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I didn’t consider the person with food allergy asking for a recipe on a basic condiment like mayo to be insulting but I thought Jessicas was towards her was. Mayo isn’t just any recipe. It is one of the basics to be able to have in the kitchen. Living with allergies is very difficult and frustrating. By asking, the girl was able to get some suggestions that she could use. Good for her. As frustrating as the allergies are is the lack of understanding that some people have about them.

37 Kate October 29, 2013 at 11:12 am

Testarosa: The internet is fillllllled with with non-soy vegan mayo recipes. The majority of the vegan mayo recipes I’ve seen are cashew/almond/oil based and are soy-free.

Susan V: I was so happy to find this recipe as I was specifically looking for a tofu-based recipe that actually tasted good! Thanks!

Now if someone wants both non-soy and low fat, that’s definitely a rare combo for vegan mayo. No idea if it would work, but I’ve made a “swiss cheese” spread by Bryanna Clark Grogan that was mostly water and cornstarch/flour based, and surprisingly flavorful. Also had a small amount of tahini, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, miso, and garlic and onion powder I believe. Something like that might be worth experimenting with. It was thinner than what I’d want for mayo, and obviously the wrong flavor, but with some tweaking and maybe some thickeners like xantham gum it might be a start?

38 Linda April 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Thank you so much for this! I am on a fat-restricted diet at the moment, and as a new vegan, I am missing mayo terribly. It sounds delicious and so easy to make. :)

39 sandy April 19, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Wow! this looks awesome!
Thanks so much for the post – can’t wait to try it!

40 Orfa P April 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm

This website is amazing! Im such a vegan junk food addict and your recipes are sooo helpful! Thanks a ton for your delicious ideas :)

41 Lesley April 19, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I can’t wait to try this – it couldn’t have come at a better time because the only store nearby that stocked unsweetened plain soy yoghurt just stopped, and I used that for making a really good Ranch dressing – since the recipe calls for vegan mayo or yoghurt, I can try this! Thank you!

42 elizabeth April 19, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Thank you for this rccipe!
I’ve been using Vulcan Fire salt on my salads, etc and its great, Thanks for the tip. I have to be careful to use sparingly and not overdo it like I did the other day when my salad was way too hot to eat!

43 Josette April 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Oh Susan Thank you so much for this fantastic recipe! I have never tasted a nearly fat free mayo as good as this one. For lunch, I made a sort of Waldord salad with celery, apples,walnuts and a little of this mayo and it was so good, like in the days when I made recipes with the real mayo. For dinner, I could not resist and made a couscous salad with Trader Joes Chickenless strips, tomatoes, olives, cucumber and a little avocado, with some lemon juice and 2 Tbsp of mayo. With a small slice of freshly baked wholemeal bread, again a real winner! I also like the idea of making a tartar sauce with some pickles and mixing it with your balsamic raisin dressing. Once again thank you for all your wonderful recipes.

44 Jeanette April 20, 2012 at 6:22 am

What a fabulous idea, combining cashew and tofu to make mayonnaise!

45 mary April 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU I LOVE THIS RECIPE!

46 Danielle April 20, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thank you so much for this recipe Susan! We recently moved to Vietnam and I can’t find any of my vegan products :( I will try this recipe (even though nuts have been difficult to come by in our area).

Do you have any suggestions for a ‘buttery’ spread? I used Earth Balance back in the states but can’t find anything like that out here.

47 Kelli April 20, 2012 at 11:34 am

Here is a link to Bryanna Clark Grogan’s “Buttah” recipe. I don’t know how available the components are in Vietnam, but it’s worth a shot. :)

48 Danielle April 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Thanks Kelli! I just checked it out. A few of the ingredients seem a bit difficult to find out here, but well worth trying to!! Hopefully I will be able to try this recipe out :) Thanks again!

49 Vickie Taylor April 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe, Susan! I’m an almost-vegan, and I’ve been miserable at not being able to make coleslaw, potato salad, and egg salad the way I like for my summer picnics. (I know, eggs are clearly not vegan. That’s why I’m an “almost” vegan–but I *only* eat eggs from my home-raised, free-range, organically fed chickens!).

Anyway, back to the point. I was every excited to make this today. I didn’t have any cashews so I used some slivered almonds (will try cashews next time since you said they’re creamier). At first, I still wasn’t quite happy with the taste as I still tasted too much tofu, so I decided to make it a spicy flavored mayo. I added two cloves of garlic, 3 spring onions, and 1 jalpeno pepper (cored and de-seeded). It is AH-MAZ-ING!

Then I turned right around and took one cup of the mixture and made a creamy balsamic salad dressing (which I’ve also been missing because I try to avoid the processed foods and the calorie count is too high). I just took about a cup of the mayo mixture, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, a little more lemon juice, about a teaspoon each of black pepper, oregano and thyme, and a little salt substitute and bam! Wonderful, healthy salad dressing!

Thank you so, so much!

50 Greg from Brooklyn April 20, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Great website! Feel like supporting for effort. Didn’t notice any tabs for that.

God bless,

Greg

51 jodiellis09 April 21, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Tried this mayo today for the first time, used it in a salad and it was great!

52 Dawn April 22, 2012 at 9:42 am

Yay!! I am so excited to try this. And I think I have all the ingredients. I am soaking some cashews already to make your Hidden Cashew Ranch Dressing. Now to have a dressing and a spread. Yum!

53 Vegetarians April 23, 2012 at 3:09 am

I agree that Mayonnaise plays a big role in the world of food and Tofu-Cashew Mayonnaise is much healthful than the usual mayonnaise. I’m wondering how long is the shelf life of this mayo?

54 Lydia April 23, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Awesome recipe! I have always hated mayo. This is so good. Just starting my plant based life. Thank you for such a good blog.

55 Tamara April 23, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Wow, I will have to try this! Thanks for providing a blender version. A vita is on my “someday” list, but I don’t have it quite yet. :)

56 Low Fat Vegan Chef Veronica April 23, 2012 at 11:00 pm

So funny you should say this. My husband just commented on this today that what people REALLY enjoy about sandwiches is the mayo. And when you’re oil free vegan like we are a sandwich is just not the same as the tofu or tempeh can be quite dry. So the solution is usually hummus, guacamole, a lot of dijon mustard or something like that.

Cashew mayo is probably the best tasting. I can’t stand the taste of Veganaise myself. I do like to put mustard, barbecue sauce and relish on a burger instead of just mayo and ketchup though.

57 Dawn-Renée April 24, 2012 at 11:31 am

This was amazing. I am trying to find creative ways to reduce calories….My husband and I love bánh mì sandwiches, but are no longer eating bread or mayo. I came up with a bánh mì salad, and this ‘mayo’ mixed with sambal oelek and a little tofu water to thin the consistency is the perfect dressing!!! I don’t have a vitamix, so I crushed the cashews with a mortar and pestle before putting it in the blender, and it did take me awhile to blend it. It came out more the consistency of hummus, but it’s really good. The Vitamix is on the list for my birthday!

58 Rachel April 25, 2012 at 1:39 am

Made it! LOVE IT! Now I can eat healthy and delicious coleslaw a few nights a week. Thank you so much Susan!

59 Connie Fletcher April 28, 2012 at 10:37 am

YUP!!!! Me too!!!

60 Dawn-Renée April 25, 2012 at 9:18 am

Does anyone know how many tablespoons this recipe makes?

61 Susan Voisin April 25, 2012 at 9:20 am

62 Dawn-Renée April 25, 2012 at 9:28 am

32, duh! :) I am getting twice the calories over at livestrong.com, though.

63 Susan Voisin April 25, 2012 at 9:45 am

That’s strange! I just checked my calculations, and they’re correct. I even tried weighing the cashews, which came out to be between 2 and 2.5 ounces in half a cup. Even using 2.5 ounces, I get only 16 calories per tablespoon.

64 Dawn-Renée April 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I wonder if I used a different tofu on the site? Will try again.

65 Dawn-Renée April 26, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I am getting pretty much the same thing, even when I specifically put Mori-nu Firm in. Even using lite didn’t change it much. :( It’s still awesome, but man. If I can get it down to 15, I wanna!

Nutrition Facts

Total Carbohydrate 1.13g
Dietary Fiber 0.16g
Sugars 0.25g

Protein 1.52g

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/tofu-cashew-mayo/#ixzz1tCYUFXs0

66 Susan Voisin April 26, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Are you sure they’re using raw, not roasted, cashews to do the calculation? I just did it by hand and came up with about 16 calories. The main contributors are the tofu (200 calories for the lite) and cashews (155 per ounce for 2 ounces= 310. So 510 calories divided by 32=15.9375. You can check these amounts at http://www.nutritiondata.com.

67 Dawn-Renée April 26, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Yes, raw cashews. I think that is where the problem is. They are saying that 1/2 c is 660-ish calories and 54 g of fat.

68 Dawn-Renée April 26, 2012 at 9:55 pm

My package says 190 cal and 15 g of fat in 1/4 cup (28 g). I think LS was having trouble with the 1/2 cup amount. When I use grams on LS, it comes out to 310. Thanks for helping me to figure it out!! And thanks for the awesome recipes. We are not vegan, but it never hurts to eat vegan part of the time. Looking forward to trying your quiches!

69 Corrin Radd April 25, 2012 at 6:11 pm

So much depends
upon

A dollop of
mayo

From cashews and
tofu

Blended in my Vita-
mix

70 Susan Voisin April 25, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Fabulous! I love it when people get my allusions!

71 Flo April 26, 2012 at 10:50 am

I made this recipe and it is wonderful. I don’t think we will have any problem using the entire recipe within 2-3 weeks. Now I am actively looking for way to use it since it tastes so good!

72 Shannon April 26, 2012 at 10:58 am

This is delicious!!! You can put big spoonfuls on your salad for a wonderful creamy dressing. :) I love your recipes!

73 Simona April 26, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Great recipe as usual! Thank you Susan!

74 Connie Fletcher April 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

Susan, you are truly my hero. I was hesitant, I will admit, but this really is wonderful!! I am ready to make my 2nd batch!!! Really nicely done!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!

75 Connie Fletcher April 29, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Susan, any updates on the freezing experiment? By the way…I agree with all the others who claim you are the summer saver!!! This really is delish!! I used it in a chickpea artichoke salad (from Evelyn’s blog) and it couldn’t be anymore delicious….thank you, thank you, thank you…..

76 Susan Voisin April 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I’m freezing some now so I should have some results to post in a few days, so check back. Glad you liked it!

77 Susan Voisin May 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Freezing works! There was no difference in taste or texture, though perhaps it was a little less fluffy.

78 Kelly April 29, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Susan your recipes are delicious and inspiring! I knew this was going to be good and once I tasted it I was blown away! So good and a great alternative to the reduced fat Vegenaise I’ve been using which comes in at 45 calories/tbsp. Thank you so much!

79 Michelle April 30, 2012 at 10:49 am

I have to try this! My husband and I just started a plant based diet and his biggest complaint lack of dressings on salads. This will be perfect to mix with other dressings to make them creamier…. Thank you!

80 Rebecca April 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I tried this today, and tasting it right after making it, I wasn’t convinced. Then I put it on a “chicken” club sandwich and it was AMAZING! Thank you for the great recipe!

81 Dawn-Renée April 30, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I am on my second batch…the first one, made with a regular blender and a mortar and pestle (for the cashews), knocked my husband’s socks off. So much so he bought us a high-speed blender! Woo-hoo! Thanks again!

82 heidi May 2, 2012 at 10:03 am

Yay! a fat free mayo recipe! I’m looking forward to trying it…but I also wanted to share what I currently do when I want a creamy spread:
Creamy Cauliflower Spread
chunk up a head of cauliflower and boil until very soft
good mustard, about 2 TBSP
salt if wanted

put all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. this stuff is great for sandwiches and as a base for creamy salad dressings.

83 Lynn May 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Do you think this would work with almonds?
Husband is allergic to almost all nuts and coconut, but does okay with almonds

84 Jacqueline May 9, 2012 at 11:54 am

I’ve heard this works with almonds but that you need to soak them in water overnight to get the skins off and also to soften them up a bit, since they are more dense than cashews.

85 Lynn May 9, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Thanks Jacqueline I will give that a try!

86 Emily Stevenson May 3, 2012 at 9:04 am

I just tried the tofu-cashew mayo recipe. Add a mashed up chickpea’s, lettuce, tomato, and onion to a high protein bread for a truly amazing sandwich!

87 Laina May 6, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Dear Susan,

I would like to make a Waldorf Faux Chicken Salad and what a beautiful recipe this will be for the mayo.

Question – if you were to come up with a recipe for the salad, would you use tofu? Frozen or not? Or would you use something else like the vital wheat gluten type of meat replacement?

I have a great idea. How about if you come up with the recipe for me??? Hee hee! Pretty please?

I’m looking forward to trying the mayo recipe.

Hugs,
Laina :-)

88 Lori Lynn May 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. As a McDougaller trying to lose a LOT of weight, I really appreciate this low fat recipe. I made it today and this is the first time in nearly a year (since going vegan) that I have been able to have mayonnaise. I used my food processor and I ground the nuts up into a fine powder before adding the other ingredients. It worked beautifully. I have never had mayonnaise taste so good that I could lick it right off the spoon. For the mustard, I used Grey Poupon Country Dijon. Within a couple of hours, I was whipping up a batch of old-fashioned potato salad. This is something I thought I would have to do without and now I don’t have to. It was so good I think I could bring it to a family picnic!

89 Pat B May 7, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I made this yesterday, but wasn’t thrilled with how hard it was to make or the taste, at first. After reading some comments below, I realize I would have had much more success if I had ground the cashews into a powder first. This morning I cooked up a single serving size of veggig rotini and stirred some of the mayonnaise into it. Brought it to work and set it in the refrigerator until lunch time. The only thing I would change is that next time I will add more of the mayo to the pasta and probably let it cool some before I dump it into my closed container. That will probably avoid the “clump” of pasta in the middle of the dish! I was surprised at how good it tasted. I’ve decided that part of the key to successful vegan eating is in the brain. Once my brain decides that a food is going to taste somewhat different (either in flavor or in texture) than it’s counterpart from my previous life, then my taste buds seem to be better able to get with the program and enjoy the food. I’m still loving this website!

90 Val Lewis May 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Why doesn’t everyone soak the cashews for a few hours first? Gets around the grinding to a powder business.

91 AVBear May 9, 2012 at 5:36 am

I just wanted to say thank you! I’ve been making Bryanna Clark Grogan’s low-fat vegennaise for years now, but it takes time to set, so it requires a bit of planning. The other day, though, i didn’t have time to let a mayo set, and having read your recipe and the comments, I decided to give it a try.
I’ve been wary of tofu-mayos because they taste too much of tofu for my taste, but this one doesn’t! Admittedly, I added two tablespoons olive oil a clove of garlic and a bit more dijon than what your recipe called for, but it turned out beautifully! A really yummy mayo, and the texture, is better than Bryanna’s (otherwise delicious mayo!).
With my additions, Livestrong calculates the calories to 25 per Tbsp.

Totally yummy, and still fairly low in fat! Thank you again!! (maybe next time I’ll try it without the extra olive oil too and save those calories) :)

92 Roseatta @vegetarianbreakfastrecipes.net May 9, 2012 at 6:03 am

Thanks for the cashew/tofu mayo recipe. I have been looking for one that i like and the cashews appeal to me. Let you know how it turns out!

93 catherine May 13, 2012 at 7:46 pm

This looks like a wonderful recipe. I use the commercial vegan mayo’s, however, I am trying to get away from processed vegan foods as much as possible. This recipe sounds delicious. This is a great site and has helped me with my relatively new vegan lifestyle. Thank you.

94 Nicola Bowman May 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm

can not wait to try. have been a long time vegetarian 18 yr. just recently became vegan miss the mayo like flavor for my sandwich’s.

95 Sue May 20, 2012 at 9:09 pm

This is a wonderful concoction. It’s great to have potato salad and coleslaw that’s creamy and low fat. “Saved my summer” is right! And if that weren’t enough, it means I’ve got something to lug to potlucks that not only looks-like but * is * old fashioned comfort food – so far as anybody can tell! Thanks for dreaming this up!

96 Twinkle Teacher May 22, 2012 at 6:41 pm

This looks great. Looking for a good vegan spread to give a go.

97 Val May 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!! I can eat tomato sandwiches and coleslaw again. Thank you so much.

98 Peggy May 31, 2012 at 8:35 am

I am ner to the tofu choices. Is there a reason you use the shelf type in this recipe? I have only used the “fresh.” Thanks!

99 Pam June 1, 2012 at 8:14 am

Yea! A yummy tasting mayo that is low in fat! I try to cut my grocery bill by making my own condiments and vegan foods. After several trials and blunders with other mayo recipes, I found your recipe for the cashew mayo. Delish! I appreciated the calorie and nutrition info after the recipe too. Since I am the only veggie in the house, I will freeze some of this to make it more economical. Thanks for sharing!

100 Marge June 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm

How can I print the photo with the recipe

101 Susan Voisin June 9, 2012 at 4:10 pm

The site doesn’t have a feature for printing the photo with the recipe, but if you select the photo and text in your browser, you can use the “print selection” function.

102 admattai June 13, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I made this for guests and used it as a salad dressing last night, it was great! I did add some more mustard/other spices for some kick, but I highly recommend this recipe; it was my first time using tofu in a long time (I had never used silken tofu before – only firm tofu which I would cook), and I loved it. Will be using for various sandwich spreads/salad dressings in the near future.

103 Almiel June 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm

“I recommend either Mori-Nu Organic Silken Tofu or Mori-Nu Lite Firm Tofu. Both are non-GMO, though the Lite uses Isolated Soy Protein.”

The regular firm I bought lists isolated soy protein too, what does this mean?

Anyway, it was really good. We like miracle whip so I added a teeny amount of a stevia sweetener. I just used some straight from the blender for a lettuce sandwich on Ezekiel bread along with a sprinkle of dill. Mmm-mm! I miss creamy dressing (ranch was always a favorite) so I look forward to using some that way. I also am going to make potato salad with potatoes and fresh dill I got from my co-0p box.

104 pumpkinopolitan June 18, 2012 at 9:18 am

I tried your recipe today. I did it in a small food mill since thats all I had and it did for a second look really watery. But it did firm up as you said after resting in the fridge and it was delish!! Tofu and cashew do make a wonderful combination. I also added a touch of ground black pepper and a few pinches of thyme for an accent. Good wholesome stuff that beats conventional mayo anytime I’d say!

105 Lisa P. June 23, 2012 at 12:23 am

Thank you for this wonderful game-changer recipe. I actually double it for my tribe and still have to make it weekly!

106 DeniseG June 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Made this mayo today using cashew butter and used some for potato salad. It turned out really good! Thanks!! So much better than nayonaise. I’m going to use it for cole slaw next and also make your tofu “chicken” salad soon.

107 Samantha June 25, 2012 at 8:17 am

Hello Im interested in knowing how long it lasts in the fridge, I know the comment said 2-3 weeks but wanted to know if that still stands as your comment said your experimenting with that. Thank You again for all your beautiful and delicious looking Vegan recipes!!

108 Susan Voisin June 25, 2012 at 10:25 am

I still think 3 weeks is the longest I would keep it in the fridge. You can freeze it, though, and it defrosts just fine.

109 Peggy Stermer-Cox June 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Hi Susan, I’ve been following your recipes for a couple of months (tried the pumpkin chili, yum!). I found you through the “Forks Over Knives” book. I tried your Tofu-Cashew mayo yesterday. I liked it particularly since you don’t use oil. I reduced the lemon just a little (two tablespoons or about a half lemon) and added a little bit of ketchup along with the mustard. It was a little bit lemony for my taste. BUT, what I really liked was using it with tomatoes for a creamy tomato based sauce. And, I like the idea of using it with vegan burgers. I’m trying the beet and tofu burger today. My husband and I are still vegan newbies…five months and counting. Thanks!

110 Susan Voisin June 26, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Oh my goodness, my site was mentioned in the Forks Over Knives book? I had no idea! I will definitely have to order a copy.

I use homegrown Meyer lemons, which tend to be milder than regular ones, so I can see why you might find it too lemony. I like the idea of a little ketchup. Add a little relish to it and it could be a 1000 Island type dressing!

111 groovymuse June 29, 2012 at 9:58 am

This is FANTASTIC – it’s the ONLY mayo I’ll be using from now on!

Thank you so much for this website, Susan! I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis a few weeks ago and have been researching the Swank and McDougall diets. Though I’ve been Vegetarian for years, it became apparent I needed to return to a Vegan diet and severely limit fat intake. I ate a Vegan diet for awhile, but do not like processed alternative foods and this turned me off. Your recipes are showing me how to make these things myself and have fresh food – and save money!

Thank you again! Good health to you!
Peace

112 Linda July 21, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I just want to add my thanks for this recipe. I have been moving steadily toward 100% plant-based fuel for my “temple” :) and this recipe has proven that no one has to suffer in achieving this goal. I didn’t have onion powder so I grated ~ 1 t of yellow onion into the blender jar. I also used soaked raw cashews as I don’t have a Vitamix. It’s chillin in the fridge right now but the little tastes I took while adjusting salt blew my mind, THANKS THANKS THANKS!! I’m currently eying my little stash of fingerling potatoes and fresh dill from my CSA box. They are about to meet again in the most fantastic way! Out of the box, into the bowl, next stop our tummies!

113 MyRedSandals July 24, 2012 at 10:22 am

I have been using Vegenaise up to this point, but would love to find a way to reduce calories/fat. But I have never used tofu packaged in aseptic boxes because I’ve heard it doesn’t taste as good as the fresh tofu (sold in the refrigerated case at most grocery stores). So I’ve always purchased the latter. Can you use fresh tofu in this recipe?

114 Susan Voisin July 24, 2012 at 10:36 am

If it’s fresh silken tofu, it should work just as well. But regular tofu will be grittier, less smooth.

115 Nikki March 26, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I haven’t made this recipe (yet), but just wanted to mention for other readers’ sake that I used to make pudding with bananas and fresh tofu (both soft and medium) and have never noticed a gritty texture – if it is being blended up, it really won’t matter… plus, the fresh type is MUCH MUCH cheaper. So if you can’t get or don’t want to pay the extra money for the silken type, I really do think fresh will be just fine. Will comment back if I get around to trying this recipe! Also, one could sub vinegar for lemon juice if they didn’t want the lemony flavor. I think this is a great base recipe!! I am no longer vegan, but do appreciate making everything as cheap and low calorie for the greatest volume possible. I have been mixing 4 parts plain skim milk yogurt (vegans can use dairy-free yogurts) with one part light mayo (that is what my mom had in the house, though I prefer fat free, and also like Miracle Whip – first choice fat free, second, light), and that lowers the calories considerably. Sometimes I also add in one part mustard. Excellent.

116 Jennifer July 30, 2012 at 11:48 am

I used your “mayonnaise” in place of the 2/3 cup of olive oil called for in another vegan chef’s pasta salad recipe and it’s DELICIOUS. It made a creamy tomatoey sauce for the pasta. Thanks!

117 Adron August 4, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Has anyone tried adding some roasted garlic? I bet it would be amazing!! So excited to try this recipe today :D

118 vegwell August 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I tried this recently and it is delicious. So much tastier than fat-free Nayonaise. It opened up a world of possibilities…could make so many types of salad dressings with it. I used it in pasta salad….wonderful.

119 Doug Lerner August 5, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I was excited by finding salad dressing recipes at this site, but was sort of disappointed to see how much fat most of these recipes have! For example, this recipe is 53% calories from fat!

A lot of the recipes have nuts and avocado, etc. While I appreciate the effort I wonder how you can justify listing them on a “fat free” vegan site.

Thanks,

doug@looking for really low fat fat vegan recipes, especially salad dressings

120 Dawn-Renée August 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Doug…from Susan’s About Me page:

“What’s this “fatfree” business all about?

In general, I don’t cook with refined fats (oil, margarine, and shortening). This simply means that instead of sautéing in oil, I use water or broth. In baking, I substitute apple sauce or flax seeds or some other substance for margarine, butter, or shortening. I do use a little sesame oil now and then because a little bit imparts a lot of flavor. And once in a very long while, I go crazy and make something with a little olive oil in it, but this is rare, and I don’t use whole heaping gobs of it.

Wait a minute…I saw a recipe with coconut milk…and another with walnuts. Those aren’t fat-free ingredients!

You’re very observant! Yes, I sometimes use lite coconut milk (though I’m trying to cut down), and I do include avocados, nuts, and seeds in my diet as forms of healthy, unrefined fat. This blog probably should have been called “Oil-Free Vegan Kitchen,” but I didn’t like the way that sounded. Whenever a recipe gets more than 15% of its calories from fat, I add the tag “Higher-Fat” to it, which you can see at the end of the blog post.”

My personal opinion is that the idea that fats are bad is pretty ridiculous. Fats satiate us and make us feel full more quickly than gobs of refined flours and sugars. I personally avoid those things and embrace natural, unrefined fats like those in nuts, avocados and in nut and olive oils. Just another point of view.

121 Beth August 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I long does the Tofu-Cashew mayonnaise keep in the refridgerator?

122 karina sastropawiro August 25, 2012 at 6:20 pm

So yummy!!!! love it!!!! My 1 year old just love it as a dip for his veggies

123 Joshua Parker September 15, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Since becoming vegan, I’ve not had the opportunity to try other vegan mayo’s. However, when I’ve made sandwiches, I’ve used hummus as a condiment. I actually stole the idea from Rip who created the Engine 2 Diet.

124 susan September 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Wow, I am not a huge tofu lover and I despite all Nayonaise! This is a totally awesome low fat substitute. I only had salted cashews and no onion powder so I subbed 1 tsp dried minced onion and a half tsp of garlic salt. I think I like it as much as any full-fat mayonaise.
Going to try it with pureed kalamata olives, a lot of roasted garlic, and a little lemon. This is a dip I’ve made with regular mayo that is so ridiculously high fat that it takes the fun out of it. We will enjoy a version made with this tofu-cashew mayo. Thanks!

125 KCalla October 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm

This is fantastic! It opens up great new sandwich options for us. The first time I made it, I set aside half of the recipe and added Chipotle powder (mine was from Penzey’s). Had both plain and Chipotle versions on whole wheat toast and tomato sandwiches. Both were great but especially loved the Chipotle “mayo”. Today I used plain to make an adapted version of your chickpea “tuna” salad” with Old Bay type seasoning. Another hit. ***Hint: don’t panic, like I did, thinking that Mori-Nu Silken tofu (shelf stable) was no longer being carried by my grocer. They have changed the package labeling and the brand Moringa is more prominent on the package….but the words Mori-Nu are still present in smaller lettering****

126 glennie feinsmith October 15, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Hi, I have just been told that I cannot have any soybean products at all, and have to cut out ‘all’ fats from my diet. I am wondering if I can substitute tahini for the tofu or veganaise. Salad dressings without oil are a challenge. Trying to have a varied and tasty diet and follow Dr’s orders are driving me mad!

127 Dori October 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I made this tonight, with raw almonds (soaked) and I used garlic powder because I had no onion powder.. simply amazing. Thank you.

128 Tamara October 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I have been looking for an oil-free vegan mayonaise for a while now!! Thanks for posting this!! I can’t eat soy, is there anything I can use instead of tofu? Or do you know of any soy-free oil-free vegan mayonaise recipe that work for us with soy allergies? Thanks : )

129 Maria November 4, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I just made this! I love my condiments so I don’t see there will be any left by the end of the week ;) I think I overdid the onion powder.. the only thing I didn’t measure..and I think a teaspoon went in, yikes! Thank you for this dairy free, oil free alternative.

130 Melissa Lang November 14, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I keep a batch of this in the fridge at all times since I discovered it mid-summer. I love it and use it for many things. It is a great sub for mayo or veganaisse. I really like it as a sauce for artichokes. I spread it on warmed corn tortillas for a quick snack. It’s great in home-made salad dressings. My favorite lately has been a poppy seed dressing. My husband (transitioning to a plant-based diet) likes “that white sauce” on his lentil enchiladas. I usually add a small clove or two to the recipe for a little flavor boost. Thanks for a great recipe!

131 Diane November 28, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I love your recipes! So much better than Dr. Fuhrman’s. I am thoroughly confused about using ‘high speed blenders’. (re: your recipe for Tofu-Cashew Mayo). Why don’t food processors do the same thing?
Thanks,
Diane

132 Susan Voisin November 28, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Thanks, Diane! I don’t know the exact mechanics of it, but I think the shape of the blender container concentrates the ingredients in the area of the blender’s blade. That combined with the higher horsepower of the blender enable it to blend things much more smooth than a food processor can. I never thought hummus could get any better than my food processor makes until I got a Vitamix.

133 Jenny December 7, 2012 at 11:12 am

Hey, I’m really not a fan of mustard- do you have any suggestions to substitute in place of it, or is this still tasty without it? Could you use garlic and make it more of an aioli type thing?

134 Susan Voisin December 7, 2012 at 11:21 am

You can leave the mustard out or use less of it. It doesn’t really give it a mustard taste that you can discern, just adds flavor. And yes to the garlic idea. It makes a great base for aioli!

135 Jessica January 19, 2013 at 2:39 pm

This mayo is delish! I only have a regular blender, so I went to Whole Foods and bought fresh cashew butter from the self grinder they have in the bulk section. Oil free! Worked perfectly and blended smooth when I mixed it with the other stuff. I also boiled the tofu for a couple of minutes and then ran it under cold water. This helps get rid of any lingering beany taste. I will definitely make this over buying veganaise from now on. So excited to make chickpea “tuna” salad with as well as FFV “chicken” salad, which I have made before and was mega delish. Thanks for the great, simple recipe!

136 Shabooboo February 1, 2013 at 2:53 pm

This is quite tasty! I generally don’t like tofu-based spreads, only because it has a somewhat chalky and dry flavor to me. I had to grind the cashews in a food processor, then transfered everything to my blender and pureed it. I added a spoonful of coconut oil to see if it gives a firmer texture. Needless to say, I won’t be making soy milk canola mayo anymore!

137 Roberta February 9, 2013 at 3:03 pm

This is excellent and came out just right. Great news on the freezing update. I made more than I could eat so will now try to freeze.

138 Steve Voelker March 11, 2013 at 6:02 pm

This is intriguing as heck, but I have a child with a tree nut allergy. Which is frustrating since most cream sauce recipes I’ve run into require cashews. :-(

He does well with almonds, interestingly. Will blanched raw almonds work in this recipe? They seem harder than cashews but I have the killer blender. What are your thoughts?

139 Susan Voisin March 11, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I believe if you look through the comments, you’ll find someone who has made it with almonds. Good luck!

140 Steve Voelker March 12, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Sure enough- that’s what I get for finding this recipe so late in the day compared to everyone else! Sorry about that :-)

Time to start blanching…

141 Kristyn April 22, 2013 at 11:42 am

Could I use almond butter instead of cashew butter? It’s what I have on hand. No cashews or cashew butter at the moment.

142 Susan Voisin April 22, 2013 at 11:56 am

Someone in the comments above made it with soaked almonds, so I think almond butter would work equally well.

143 Kristyn April 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Great! I’ll give it a go. My husband loves macaroni salad and I refuse to buy miracle whip. I’m trying to find the perfect substitute. I hope this is it!

144 Annetta Williams April 22, 2013 at 11:43 am

I’m vegan and gluten/soy sensitive. What can be used instead of tofu? Vegannaise is off the list for the same reason.

145 Hazel April 22, 2013 at 11:44 am

Oh I like that you froze it and it was still good! We don’t eat much mayo, but it’s still something I like to have around. Will for sure be making a batch of this and freezing some. I am a fan of any creamy goodness made with cashews so I am very excited to try this!

146 Terri Cole April 22, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I’ve been using Trader Joe’s low-fat mayo (it’s vegan) but I love having a no-oil alternative! thanks, Susan!!!

147 LISA April 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Thank you, thank you!!! I have tried SO many posted recipes for vegan mayo and always ended up with oily “glop”… This one had my teenage vegan finger cleaning the magic bullet cup!!! Finally the creaminess, lemon zing, mustard tang of my used to be homemade mayo…(with eggs and oil, then it was divine now it just sounds yuck)… I’m blown away!!!

148 karen April 28, 2013 at 8:21 pm

This mayo is so good. I don’t mean good as in “this is an acceptable substitute for something else I like.” It’s better than anything I’ve had from a jar. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love this recipe.

149 sherri May 15, 2013 at 1:15 pm

could you make this with regular tofu as around here you can’t get silken tofu?

150 Susan Voisin May 15, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I haven’t tried it with regular tofu, but it may work if you just blend it very well. It may need a little added water to get smooth.

151 trijbits May 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I’m so happy to have this non-oil vegan alternative for mayo. I use a very strong mustard (Japanese “karashi”) and also like to add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. This seems to diminish the distinctive tofu taste.

The recipe makes too much for the single vegan consumer in this house. ;) Freezing half the recipe then thawing resulted in a more runny mayo, though still usable. Now I make just the half-recipe, even though in my experience it has a much longer fridge life than you specify.

152 Amanda May 25, 2013 at 11:40 am

I’m not vegan but my best friend is and I am always looking for healthy alternatives for my family. Tried this recipe today and I’m impressed with the flavor and versatility! I tried the soaking method for the cashews after seeing that cashew butter was $10 as nearly dying of shock. The end result was a little grainy texture but still good flavor. Also, I am thinking that apple cider vinegar and a spot of sweetener would fulfill that Miracle Whip craving too! Great recipe. Love your site.

153 Sadanhungry June 18, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Hi, does cashew that are not raw work? Can i use roasted cashews? Like the one you buy thats inside a pack and you could just eat it right away. And what happens if i dont use cashew at all, would it be ruined, please anwser :)

154 Briana June 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm

How can a cashew based mayo have no fat?
Thanks

155 Susan Voisin June 18, 2013 at 10:02 pm

It doesn’t have no fat (nothing does–even lettuce has traces of fat). It has .88 grams of fat per tablespoon, as noted at the end of the recipe.

156 Lauren July 4, 2013 at 10:31 am

I know this website focuses on not adding oils but I finally made a half recipe of this mayo and it was a little too tofu-ey for me, so I added about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Very delicious. Thanks for all your amazing recipes, I’m on your site constantly!

157 Sharon Collins July 14, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Thanks You ! I finally just googled fat free mayo — and found you ! Have been reading Esselstyne’s and MadDougall’s books and jar labels ! Happy to be here.

158 Patricia Conte July 23, 2013 at 9:44 am

This is great! I’ve been looking for a mayo replacement to make. Can’t wait to try this! Thank you

159 Bonnie July 23, 2013 at 12:15 pm

This sounds great, but how long does it keep with tofu in it?

160 Susan Voisin July 23, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I estimate 2 -3 weeks in the fridge or indefinitely in the freezer.

161 priscilla July 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Hello Susan!

I’m a big fan of your website. Thanks for your great receipes and inspirations.

One question, recently, I’m allergic to all nuts… so sad :(
How can I replace nuts? Any suggestions???

162 Ash August 7, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I wanted to have a tempeh-lettuce-tomato wrap today, so I made this recipe. I have never loved mayonnaise so much. I will never buy anything from a store again! Now I want to explore every recipe on the planet that calls for mayo.

163 Jrsygal59 August 27, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Love this recipe!

164 Esther J October 8, 2013 at 3:03 pm

This is such a nice alternative to Nayonaise (which was my stand-by mayo when I went Vegan) and Vegenaise (which I finally purchased about a month ago, so very good–the best, imho–but I could live without the oil).

I was able to produce a nice, creamy mayo using just a standard blender. I soaked the cashews, then drained them and put them in a plastic ziploc, where I then crushed them into somewhat of a paste using a rolling pin. Then, I just dumped them into a blender as needed. It took a little more elbow grease, but it worked out just fine.

I added maybe a teaspoon of sugar (maybe less) to give it a subtle sweetness, and I think I added about a T of apple cider vinegar for a little more zing.

All in all, I had to get used to the cashew taste, but after a couple of times, it began to taste better than any of the store-bought alternatives (that’s saying a lot because Vegenaise is really good).

165 Esther J October 19, 2013 at 10:14 am

I’m returning to this after having made my second and a half batch this morning. It’s so nice! (and this after having bought a large–and still unopened–jar of Vegenaise last week.)

I love that it is so creamy, with just the right amount of both fat and lightness, unlike Vegenaise, which while very good, can taste kind of heavy and weighed down with the oil and whatnot in it. And the cashew flavor, although initially an area of slight concern, has won me over.

Love it, love it, love it!

Thank you, Susan!

166 deanna November 7, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Love your Tofu-Cashew Mayo recipe! when it came time to add the salt, I used one tsp. of a different salt called Deer Brand Black Salt Powder – it is really pink in color (not the Hawaiian black salt that is actually black). This salt is salty and tastes like eggs! a plus for a mayo recipe! Hope you check it out – would love to have your input on it! It’s a product of Pakistan. Thank you for all your wonderful recipes!
Deanna

167 William January 9, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I was curious if I could use roasted cashews in the Tofu-Cashew Mayonnaise? Thank you for sharing this recipe:)

168 Rachel January 16, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I’ve been making this consistently for many months now. I love it!

169 melissa January 19, 2014 at 5:00 pm

My family and I are venturing into a better eating lifestyle and your site is giving me

170 melissa January 19, 2014 at 5:05 pm

such high hopes. We used to eat everything so seeing your menu means we still can only healthier! Thank you!

171 Dana February 2, 2014 at 8:19 am

Amazing! I was looking to replace my beloved Vegenaise with something healthier, and I hate Nasoya with a passion. This is great! I add a bit of almond milk and lemon juice to 2 tbsp of this mayo and have a delicious quick salad dressing as well. Thank you for the recipe!

172 sherri February 18, 2014 at 8:32 am

i cannot find silken tofu in the country i live in. just regular tofu. what will the difference in taste/texture be if i use that instead?

173 Susan Voisin February 18, 2014 at 8:52 am

It may be okay, but less smooth and thicker. What I would do is use less tofu, maybe 8 ounces, and add some plain soy milk as needed to help it blend.

174 sherri February 18, 2014 at 10:16 am

would silken extra firm be better than regular tofu– a neighbor offered to give me some that she brought.

175 Susan Voisin February 18, 2014 at 10:33 am

Definitely! Any silken tofu will work.

176 Susan Simon April 21, 2014 at 7:29 pm

OMG – just made this – 3 minutes or less in my Vitamix. Made exactly as written. It is SO delicious! I am so appreciative – thank you!!! Now I’ll be making my chickpea and kale recipe. What a treat!

177 Celia April 29, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Thank you very much for this recipe! Even my husband loves it, and he is not vegan/dairy intolerant like me. This has become a staple in my fridge. I made a more sour version with parsley and pepper, garlic powder and some vinegar too, for some other sandwiches here the other day when this one felt too sweet. Worked great!

178 Katie May 7, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Thank you! I was never a mayo eater before I went vegan, but recently I developed a seriously concerning addiction to vegenaise. I feel so happy to have a tasty alternative that doesn’t make me feel bad after enjoying a sloppy sandwich.

179 Barbara May 26, 2014 at 6:31 am

Just want to say thank you for all the wonderful recipes you share. I am wanting to try the tofu-cashew mayonnaise for sandwiches, etc. Although we do not go through mayonnaise type dressing very quickly, I am wondering how long this last in the refrigerator. Would you have any information on shelf life for it?

180 Susan Voisin May 26, 2014 at 6:37 am

It will keep a couple of weeks in the refrigerator, but you can also freeze part of it if you don’t think you’ll use it that fast.

181 Karinee June 1, 2014 at 6:30 pm

How long does the tofu cashew mayo stay good for?

Thanks

182 Susan B July 9, 2014 at 3:02 am

I’m coming late to this discussion, and I haven’t tried the mayo yet, but I notice some people wanted to use an alternative to cashews. I would think macadamia nuts (if you can afford them!) would give the same creaminess and a slightly different flavor. This wouldn’t help if you have a nut allergy, of course, but it might work for people who have an aversion to cashews and don’t think almonds are creamy enough.

183 sciencegeek July 31, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Wow! This is great! I love the flavor – I think I’m going to use this for a salad dressing, as well as a sandwich spread. This will now be a staple in my kitchen!