Applesauce Ginger Cake with Maple Glaze

by on December 21, 2012

Applesauce Ginger Cake with Maple Glaze

Imagine biting into this moist and tender cake. First you breathe in the aroma of cinnamon, and as you take your first bite, you savor the warm flavor of ginger. And then, just when you think you’ve figured out all the secrets of this sweet delight, you bite into a hidden nugget of candied ginger and POW–a rush of tingling flavor!

And then I tell you that it’s fat-free, and you just don’t believe me.

The secret is the applesauce, which is the only liquid in the cake–no eggs or egg substitutes, no non-dairy milk, no water. Applesauce makes this whole-wheat cake dense but moist at the same time while adding some natural sweetness. The maple glaze, though delicious, is really just for show because this cake is sweet and tender enough without it. So leave it off if you like, and if you’re really intent of cutting back on sugar, try replacing all or part of the granulated sugar with erythritol, a sugar substitute that may actually have some health benefits.

With or without the sugar, if you’re a ginger lover, you won’t want to miss this cake. Consider it a Christmas present from me to you!

Applesauce Ginger Cake with Maple Glaze

I wish you all a happy, peaceful holiday. Be good to yourselves and to each other!

Susan

1 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie December 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

So excited to try this! I love recipes like this when I have everything on hand. Yum!

2 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan December 21, 2012 at 9:16 am

I was just brainstorming about a bundt cake, and you have solved my problems!

3 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance December 21, 2012 at 9:17 am

Wow–this looks incredible. And I love the ingredient list. Only applesauce?!? I almost don’t believe it. I might try it out with the erythritol, since I have some at home. I wonder if the Stevia Baking Blend I have would work also? Thanks for sharing!!

4 Susan Voisin December 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thanks, Michelle! I think Stevia Baking Blend would be great. I don’t have any anymore or I would have tried it.

5 jaime @ sweet road December 21, 2012 at 9:36 am

I love the versatility of this cake – more in terms of being able to use it for more occasions than just the holidays. It seems like a great fall and early springtime treat too.

6 Lizanne December 21, 2012 at 10:05 am

This is going on the Christmas menu! You have no idea how perfect this is for my family.

7 Janet December 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

Susan, I have everything except the candied ginger. Are there any subs? I have a big piece of ginger root on hand….could I somehow use that? This recipe sounds AMAZING and can’t wait to try it!

8 Susan Voisin December 21, 2012 at 10:46 am

I think I would just leave the candied ginger out. Ginger root is probably too fibrous. You can also add a little more ginger powder to give it more kick.

9 Rose haluschak December 21, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I am going to make it for Christmas and leave out the candied ginger….since I have no idea where to find it in El Paso! Thanks, Susan. I love your recipes!

10 Rose haluschak December 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I found the candied ginger!

11 Brenda December 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

Susan, the top photo is one of your best EVER!!

12 Susan Voisin December 21, 2012 at 10:44 am

Wow, thank you, Brenda! That makes my day!

13 graveyardgypsy December 21, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Yum! :-) Best of all, I have all the ingredients in the cupboard, so will definitely be making myself one to eat after the mad festive rush is over!

14 Tom December 21, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Hi Susan. Your photography shines and stands out as does this already very popular recipe. If using liquid sweetener, say date syrup, you think that in addition to the applesauce would be too much liquid in the recipe? Unless I cut the apple sauce down some? It would be over 3 cups of liquid. Curious.

15 Susan Voisin December 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Tom! Yes, that’s why I didn’t try to use maple syrup or date syrup in the recipe. I think it would be just too much liquid because it’s balanced right now. I’m sure it would be possible to do, but it would take some experimenting to find the right balance of flour, apple sauce, and liquid sweetener, and even then, this is such a moist cake that I’m afraid the results wouldn’t be as good.

16 Rebecca December 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Yeah!! A new killer recipe that looks soooo easy AND yummy. I am definitely going to serve this to guests this holiday season- yeah!!! Thanks a bunch and happy holidays ;)

17 Angie December 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Do you think all-purpose gluten free flour would work?

18 Susan Voisin December 21, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I haven’t tried it, but I think it would.

19 Barbara December 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Thanks for yet another great recipe! So simple, yet so satisfying!

20 veganamericanprincess December 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I thought I knew it all, but I guess I dont. Never heard of the sweetener erythritol. Do you think the cake would taste good with the substitute? Where do you buy it?

21 Susan Voisin December 21, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I know Amazon has it, and NuNaturals also makes it (https://nunaturals.com/product/99), but it’s on the expensive side.

22 moonwatcher December 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

This is gorgeous!! And I can almost smell the ginger and spices just looking at it! I did not know there was such a thing as stevia baking blend, and I just watched the video about erythritol. I might get adventurous and try one of those out with my gluten free flour mix. Right now I’m leaning toward toward making a gluten free version of the chocolate blueberry cake, with carob and huckleberries. So nice to add another possibility to the list for holiday treats. Hope the holidays are good to you, and thanks for being so good to all of us!

xo

23 Jeremie December 21, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Can this be made in a loaf pan or a rectangular pan?

24 Susan Voisin December 21, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Rectangular pan, yes, but I think a loaf pan would probably be too deep and narrow.

25 Brenda December 22, 2012 at 8:07 am

I’m baking this right now (as muffins) and it smells amazing!

26 laloofah December 22, 2012 at 8:07 am

Well, I may as well just get busy right this red-hot minute making this, because as soon as my husband sees it he’s going to start whining for it! :-) (But being a UPS man, he’s definitely earned himself a yummy treat this week, not to mention the right to whine a little bit!)

27 ali December 22, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Do you think this will still work well and taste as relish if we swap in Gluten Free flour, like Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose GF Flour..? I can’t eat gluten..

28 ali December 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm

That was supposed to read “taste as delish” *not* relish. lol
my computer auto corrected me without my consent. :)

29 Radhika Sarohia December 22, 2012 at 7:28 pm

This looks so good…wonder if I could use low-carb flour to make it
Might have to add frosting too hehe

30 Angela W. December 23, 2012 at 10:12 am

Susan — I just made this cake and it is FABULOUS! I didn’t have candied ginger so I simply added 1/4 tsp extra powdered ginger. I also lined the bottom of my cake pan with some thinly sliced apples before pouring in the batter…. absolute heaven!

My mom and daughter spent all day making traditional Christmas cookies and I didn’t eat even one! (a huge accomplishment, by the way)! So this cake is my reward.

Thanks and Have a wonderful new year.

31 maryeb December 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm

In the ingredient list there is a tablespoon of cornstarch listed. I see that the maple glaze uses a teaspoon of the cornstarch. Does the rest of the cornstarch get put in with the dry cake ingredients?

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I was at quite a loss as to what to make for dessert for my Christmas dinner. I was so excited to see this recipe. It looks perfect.

32 Susan Voisin December 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Hi Maryeb, the tablespoon of cornstarch goes into the cake and an additional tsp. goes into the glaze. I hope you enjoy it!

33 Isobel Lechner December 23, 2012 at 3:43 pm

This recipe caught my attention. I love anything ginger but am not a big fan of cake. It is great. It stayed moist for days, I even had a piece for breakfast. Definitely a recipe that I will keep and may be use the base recipe with different spices and flavorings.

34 Brenda December 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Just as an update if anyone else wants to make this as muffins: the recipe fills a full-sized muffin pan with some left over (which I just kind of smooshed into the 12 cups). They took about 30 minutes to bake. I skipped the glaze, but they still tasted great!

35 Mrylyn December 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I made this tonight and loved it! I did not make the glaze and it was still delicious!

36 slywlf December 23, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Oh my! I cannot wait to try this! ;-)

37 Roberto December 23, 2012 at 8:55 pm

So easy and so good. Didn’t have the crystalized ginger and substitued Splenda instead of sugar. Omitted the icing and made in 9 x 9 pan. In essence was a real calorie savor. Wonder if substituting more vanilla or carob instead of ginger if it would be suitable as a plain cake or chocolate cake?

38 Werner December 23, 2012 at 9:18 pm

This is a fantastic dessert for the holidays. We celebrate with a Swedish theme to honor part of our heritage, but the pepparkakkor cake we have been making every year (loaded with eggs, butter, and sugar) doesn’t come close to the moist, rich flavor of your apple ginger cake…and so much more healthful! I made my own applesauce, which was a bit less than 2 1/4 c., so I added a splash of soy milk. Used a bundt pan and when cooled sprinkled lightly w/ powdered sugar instead of the glaze. Thank you so much for this, and all, of your recipes.

39 Rose haluschak December 24, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I made it tonight! Super good…with or without the candied ginger! This recipe ia a keeper. Thanks, Susan!

40 Heidi December 25, 2012 at 2:57 pm

This recipe was delicious! Made it with turbinado sugar instead of white sugar, and it was moist and wonderful–like really sinful gingerbread. I was all ready for my husband to hate it (he always gives me grief when I cook with applesauce instead of oil/margarine), but he can’t stop eating it. Thank you, Susan.

41 braelin December 25, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Susan, Ditto re. this being one of your best photos yet! Question for you– can you share where you got the cake stand? I always love your eclectic dishes– would love to hear more from you about where/how you’ve acquired such a collection! My guess is savvy thrifting and/or estate sales, but perhaps you have other secret sources!?!? :) Do share!

42 Susan Voisin December 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I wish I could remember where I got the cake plate, but I’m sure it was on sale or clearance at some store like Tuesday Morning, TJMaxx, or Marshall’s. I pick up a lot of dishes at those places at clearance prices and also shop thrift and antique stores. My very favorites, though, are locally made pottery pieces that I pick up at craft shows– sometimes I luck out and find an artist who is actually affordable. I’m always looking for dishes that I think will photograph well, and I really need to have an estate sale of my own because I’ve run out of space for new ones!

43 Abra December 26, 2012 at 12:34 am

So easy to make and everyone enjoyed it :)

44 Julie Beech December 28, 2012 at 5:40 am

I loved the cake. My glaze was not so successful. Initially, I heated the maple syrup and then added the cornstarch. This resulted in lumps that were impossible to wisk away. I tried it again, this time mixing the syrup and cornstarch before heating. but being short on maple syrup I topped it up with a low sugar pancake syrup. This resulted in a goo that would not melt down. I would like to try the glaze again. Do you have any ideas for substitutions

45 ALB December 28, 2012 at 10:28 am

Great! I’m just baking it :)) with some little changes! Thanks for the recipe!

46 Beth-ann December 28, 2012 at 6:06 pm

SOOOO delicious!! And it was amazingly easy to prepare!!

47 Susan Voisin December 30, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’m so glad you liked it! One of the great things about fat-free vegan cakes is that there’s no butter and sugar to cream together. Couldn’t be easier!

48 roopa December 31, 2012 at 7:05 am

i feel very very good recipe i love this very much

49 Rosemary January 1, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Made this wonderful cake today. WOW It is going to be one of mt favorites. I did make 1 change, I use brown rice syrup instead of the sugar. decreased the applesauc by 1/4 cup. It is so moist. I love it and I am so glad I foud your website!

50 Jen September 9, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Hi Rosemary! I would love to sub liquid sweetener as well and was wondering if you used a full cup of liquid sweetener in place of the dry? Thanks!

51 CBColeman January 6, 2013 at 12:05 pm

OH WOW . . so good! we’ve decide to make one of these every Sunday. Today we are trying it in mini-bundt pans. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

I experimented a little – used pumpkin pie spice to replace the spices, noticed that the amount of applesauce is equal to one 24-ounce jar and I use brown sugar, maybe that makes even denser? Might even pre-mix the dry ingredients so I can just dump applesauce, vanilla and lemon juice in when I need a fix.

YUMMMMMMEEEE

52 Lindsay January 6, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Are the cloves in this recipe ground or whole? I assume they’re ground, but I can’t find ground cloves anywhere.

I can’t wait to try this. I’m trying to wait for a party at the end of the month so I can share it… but I might have to make it now and eat it all myself!

53 Susan Voisin January 6, 2013 at 3:56 pm

The cloves are ground. I’m surprised you haven’t been able to find them! I just buy them in the regular grocery store spice section.

54 world best January 10, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I love the relative simplicity in making this and it’s one of those dishes that could easily fit in at just about any family gathering. Easy to procure all the ingredients as well. Lovely recipe indeed.

55 Vicki Helms January 12, 2013 at 8:55 am

I would love to see a gluten free version of this. It looks delicious :D

56 laloofah January 12, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I finally had all the ingredients, a bundt pan (had to buy one), and the time to make this today, and OH WOW! It’s just delicious! Tastes like a gingersnap in cake form! Sucanat is a perfect sweetener for it. My only boo-boo was putting the glaze on before the cake had cooled enough, so it absorbed into the cake. But that was just an aesthetic issue – it didn’t reduce its deliciousness one bit! What a perfect cake for Autumn and Winter! Thank you for another big hit at Chez Laloofah! :-)

57 Laloofah January 21, 2013 at 10:38 am

P.S. I’ve made this delicious cake a second time (certainly won’t be the last!), and this time I reduced the amount of sugar (sucanat) to 3/4 cup, and it was perfect. Everyone we’ve shared it with has loved it too! This is a real winner.

58 Anne January 22, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I just made this cake and it turned out beautifully! What a delightful combination of flavours. The only thing I changed was the quantities for the leavening agents. For 2 teaspoons of baking soda the correct quantity of lemon juice, at a ration of 1:6, is 4 tablespoons not 1. I also discovered that 2 teaspoons of baking soda is double the amount needed for 2 cups of flour. So most of the baking soda in the recipe wasn’t being utilised as with not enough lemon juice their wasn’t enough acid. I instead used 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1½ teaspoon citric acid (1:1.5). I could have used 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (1:6), or 2 teaspoons of Cream of Tartar (1:2), instead of the citric acid. Cake rose beautifully.

59 Susan Voisin January 23, 2013 at 10:07 pm

The proportions are fine as written, and it rises perfectly. The amount of acid in the recipe is not just a result of the lemon juice but of all the ingredients, especially the apple sauce. Lots of people have made it with excellent results, and I wouldn’t want anyone to change the proportions because of one anonymous comment and have the cake flop.

60 Kathryn January 25, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Just made this and oh my gosh is it delicious. I used half coconut sugar and half erythritol, used fresh ginger instead of candied (I was out) and tossed in some cacao nibs. Amazing!

61 Sharon January 26, 2013 at 6:03 am

Susan, this cake was simply delicious. The texture was heavenly, and the spice combination provided wonderful depth and warmth. Thank you!!

62 Susan Voisin January 26, 2013 at 9:16 am

I’m so happy that you liked it!

63 Carly J. January 29, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Long-time reader, first-time poster…

I made this the other day when my kids (ages 3 and 4.5) wanted cupcakes – the maple glaze was the perfect “icing” and although they didn’t need it, it was truly decadent with it! What a treat and couldn’t be easier.

I went plant-based about a year ago and have lost over 40 lbs – your blog helps keep food interesting! Thanks for all your efforts!

64 Trish January 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm

This was a very tasty easy recipe and made a nice big cake. I used some of it to make a Scottish trifle and the cake was perfect for that. It’s a moist cake and very flavourful. I didn’t put on the glaze.

65 moonwatcher February 2, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I wanted to report in that I made this lovely cake both gluten free and nearly sugar free and it was lovely! I decided to make it for dessert when a friend brought his two kids over for dinner. I went to the co-op thinking I might try sucanat, based on some of the comments to this post, but when I got there I found they had a Wholesome product called Zero that is the erythritol you mention above. I had watched Dr. Gregor’s video and was impressed. So I tried it. I used about 2/3 cup of the Zero and almost 1/3 cup of sucanat. And I did use the crystallized ginger bits in the cake, too.

For gluten free, I used a mix I made up myself in the days I used to bake a lot. It’s brown rice flour, sorghum flour, a little quinoa flour and potato starch. The one thing I forgot to do is to add some baking powder to the recipe, which is kind of standard in Gluten Free Goddess recipes in addition to the baking soda. There’s usally at least a tablespoon of leavening in cakes with similar proportions of flour to your recipe. If I had done that, I think it would have risen a tad more, since gluten free mixes need that extra “boost,” but nevertheless it was wonderful, and came out of the bundt pan intact even though I did not have cooking spray to treat it with. I made the maple glaze as well, and put it on just before we ate it.

The ten year old does not like ginger, but he loved the cake. He said the little pieces in the cake were just right and not too much. He gave his sister, who loves, ginger, the extra garnish, deciding that was too “gingery” for him. She loves ginger, and ate all of those, including the few extras I had. They took half of the cake home for breakfast the next morning.

I just wanted to let your readers know that this cake works with a gluten free mix, and it also works with nearly all erythritol. I think I could have used all Zero and it would have been fine, especially with the crystalized ginger bits in it to give a little kick.

I also had a piece and did fine. There was not enough sugar in it to produce any terrible side effects. Still, I decided to stay on the safe side, and let the rest of the cake leave the house. Didn’t want to hedge my bets!

It’s very nice to know I can use this erythritol for special occasion cakes and treats. I will definitely make this recipe again. The 13 year old liked it so much she asked me to send her the link. :)

So, even gluten free and nearly sugar free, it’s still a classy hit!!

xoxo

66 Susan Voisin February 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I’m so glad it worked out for you! Thanks for sharing how you made it gluten and nearly sugar free. I’m happy to hear that works and am thinking that now that I’m avoiding wheat and sugar, maybe I can make it your way as a treat sometime.

67 Reni February 4, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I made this cake today and we love it. Great recipe! So easy to make and so delicious.

68 marcia gemler February 11, 2013 at 10:47 am

Made this over the weekend– definitely a keeper!

69 Andrea @ Vibrant Wellness Journal February 12, 2013 at 10:03 pm

This looks truly amazing. I can’t wait to bust out my vintage bundt pan for this gorgeous cake!

70 Carrie February 20, 2013 at 5:09 am

I made this for my Valentine in a heart-shaped silicone mould and he and I (and my family who got half) loved it. I subbed with a GF-flour blend and erythritol sugar, left out the candied sugar and it still turned out great. The glaze was a perfect touch. Thanks so much!

71 Marsha March 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm

This looks so heavenly, I can’t wait to try it. Am I the only one who doesn’t know what or where to get candied ginger? I read all the comments and it seems to be the case. :) Let me know where I can pick that up.

72 Susan Voisin March 16, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Marsha, I find it in the spices section of the grocery store. If you can’t find it locally, you can buy it online from Penzey’s or The Spice House.

73 Anne April 4, 2013 at 8:24 am

Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe, finally I fund the one that Im going to keep for ever.
My husband an I love the flavor , taste divine we like this king of spice, I made into muffins next time I will use the bundt pan that I just bought it!
Thank you!

74 Tami@Nutmeg Notebook October 15, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I made this cake recently when my parents were staying with us for a visit. My mom loved it so much that she requested it later in the week as her 75th birthday cake!

Thank you for sharing all your wonderful recipes!

75 Amanda November 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Hi Susan!

Just wondering if you think it would be alright to make this a day ahead of time. You specify serve immediately, so I wanted to check. I’m trying to make as much ahead of time for Thanksgiving as I can…but also want the cake to be at its very best!

Thanks!

76 Susan Voisin November 26, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Yes, but try not to put on the glaze until just before serving.

77 Amanda November 26, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Great! Thank you!

78 Amanda November 27, 2013 at 9:14 am

Hi again, Susan –

Wondering what you think about using cake flour, as opposed to the whole wheat or whole wheat pastry. How might it affect the outcome of the cake?

Thanks!

79 Susan Voisin November 27, 2013 at 9:47 am

It would probably make a great-tasting cake, but I’m not sure how the change would affect the wet to dry balance because cake flour usually needs less liquid. You might have to adjust the proportions a little. Maybe start with 2 cups of applesauce and see if it looks like it needs the extra 1/4 cup.

80 Agne December 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Hey, Susan!

I am going to try this cake for Christmas but I have some questions about it. Do You think it will still turn out if I make the applesauce myself? I have so many apples, I would really not like to buy it.. If it is not a problem, do I need to cook it or purred apples till the applesauce consistency should work even without cooking that mixture?
I have read that some people had a success with gluten free flour, maybe You have also tried that yourself?
Finally, can cornstarch be substituted for potato starch? What about maple syrup in the glaze? Agave? It is way too expensive where I live..

Thanks :)

81 Susan Voisin December 13, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Hi Agne,

For the applesauce, I think cooking and pureeing it will give you the best results. It needs to be the consistency of store-bought applesauce, or it would cause the cake batter to be too wet.

I haven’t tried it with gluten-free flours, but check the comments above to see if anyone has.

Yes, potato starch and agave nectar are both good substitutes, but the agave won’t have the intense flavor that maple syrup has.

Good luck!

82 Cyd December 20, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Hello Susan,

I just made the ginger cake and it is delicious! I am hoping you can offer some advice. The cake looks and tastes wonderful but mine did not seem to rise as high as your cake, pictured. I know I did not overmix since I am used to baking. Any suggestions as to what I may have done incorrectly.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Thank you for all that you so and share.

83 Susan Voisin December 20, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Cyd, it may be simply that we used different sized pans. My cake was actually on the small size. I believe I used a standard bundt pan, but I think the batter only half filled it. I’m glad it tasted good but sorry it came out shorter than you expected.

84 Cyd December 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Thanks so much Susan for your response.
I never gave the size of my bundt pan a thought. Having looked at it now it is a bit on the large size. I will use a smaller one next time.
Before your response I assumed I must have had some sort of ‘leavening’ problem even though I know I added the 2 tsp baking soda.

I also just made your broccoli soup w/ croutons – delicious!

Many thanks,

85 Jean Heath December 24, 2013 at 8:54 am

Just made this cake and it was delicious. Son said he would have liked a more ginger taste so will add more next time.
A definite winner.

86 Jean Heath December 31, 2013 at 4:35 am

We put what was left into a box in the fridge and it was even nicer when they syrup and soaked into it – lovely and soft and delicious.

87 Tess December 31, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Delicious cake!
I am trying to create cake exteriors that mimic those containing oil and eggs.
My results tend to be not as delicate, slightly rubbery.
The bundt pan in this instance was prepared with a very light coating of vegetable oil and flour.
Any suggestions or refinements appreciated .

88 Tess January 1, 2014 at 8:11 am

Delicious cake!
I am trying to create cake exteriors that mimic those containing oil and eggs.
My results tend to be not as delicate, slightly rubbery.
Any suggestions or refinements appreciated .

Left overnight, the moisture from the cake permeated the exterior and completely eliminated the rubbery texture. Cake is sweet enough without the maple glaze and the ginger taste seems to mature with time.
This cake is a real winner and no one would ever guess it is vegan/no oil.
Now if I can only remember to make it the day before…

89 Manuela January 1, 2014 at 11:58 am

This is the best vegan cake ever!!! When are you publishing a book? :-)

Happy New Year to you and family!
Manuela

90 Liz January 8, 2014 at 10:20 am

Love this recipe. I’ve tweeked it many times to make several different cakes from this one recipe by changing the spices. For example, I replace a couple of tablespoons of molasses for a couple tablespoons of applesauce, and beef up the ginger for gingerbread. Also, I find that the cake does just as well on a half cup of sugar, and I prefer it since the full cup tastes way too sweet for me. The ‘crumb’ is good and cake-y (is that a word?) It seems with my oven, at 325 degrees convection bake, it needs baking for and hour and fifteen minutes. The last cake I made, I added two cups of soaked raisins with the applesauce, and used two tablespoons of molasses, a good shake of cloves and cinnamon. Made a superb raisin cake. Again, half a cup of sugar..

91 Kris March 5, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I can’t believe how good this tastes! I only made half the batch because I didn’t know what it would be like. So moist, so tasty. I don’t think it rose very well though, might have just been because it was too little batter.

Susan, your blog sticks out in between all those food blogs out there. I could spend all night studying your recipes and planning when I’ll cook them ;-).

92 Marsha March 7, 2014 at 2:09 pm

What a delicious cake! Thanks, Susan! I baked it last night and took it to my cardiologist’s office today as a thank you for all their kindnesses and they loved it. Since their practice philosophy promotes low-fat, vegan diets, they were thrilled to know that it was not only delicious but rather healthy for such a tasty treat. You made me look like a hero–and a talented baker. I have to say, I have rarely made a cake that was so incredibly easy and yielded such a nice result.

93 Maggie April 16, 2014 at 7:17 am

I’m so glad your surgery went well!

I made this cake over the weekend and it is WONDERFUL. My whole family loved it. I made it on Saturday and today it is still perfectly moist and delicious.

I have a question though – my cake didn’t seem to rise very much, and it was very dense, almost like a banana or zucchini bread. Is this how yours came out?

Thanks!
Maggie

94 Susan Voisin April 16, 2014 at 7:45 am

It’s definitely denser than a “normal” cake and doesn’t rise super-high, so I think yours probably came out like mine. Whole wheat flour and lack of fat does that. I’m so used to it (and unused to regular baked goods) that I don’t really notice it. I’m glad you liked it, though!

95 Maggie April 16, 2014 at 9:51 am

ok, thanks! Mine was actually gluten free also – I used Bob’s redmill. I think I’m going to make this for Easter brunch and maybe dress it up with some edible flowers in the middle!

96 Laurel April 28, 2014 at 2:08 pm

can this cake be served room temperature?

97 Susan Voisin April 28, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Yes. Refrigerate it if it will be a day or two before you serve it, though.

98 Shevon June 9, 2014 at 7:12 am

Delicious and spongy. Thanks.

99 Lauren October 20, 2014 at 9:27 am

Oh my gosh, yummy! As a student at college (a military one no less), I can’t tell you how much I miss vegan baking (and eating of course)! When I get home this weekend for a visit, this is the first thing on my baking to do list!

100 karen November 9, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Love this cake! I didn’t have crystallized ginger so I made it without, still yummy. My omnivore family loved it too…it disappeared fast. I experimented a bit and followed the recipe but the next time left out the spices and substituted dark cocoa powder….yummy esp with strawberries on the side and a little liqueur drizzled on top

101 carrie November 21, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Hi, can I sub coconut flour for the wheat flour to get gluten free? Thanks.

102 Susan Voisin November 21, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Usually it takes more than just replacing the flour to make baked goods gluten-free. You may need a combination of flours and the addition of something like xanthan gum to hold it together. You could try a gluten-free baking mix, but I don’t think coconut flour alone would work.