3-Minute Chickpea Salad

by on May 15, 2013

3-Minute Chickpea Salad Roll

For how to make Chickpea Salad Rolls, see the video after the recipe.

A quick search of this blog will prove that I adore chickpea salad. As of today, I’ve posted six of them. I love being able to take a can of chickpeas, mash it up and have a quick sandwich filling or salad topping. And as my days get more and more hectic, my chickpea salads have become quicker and quicker. Don’t get me wrong–when I have the time, I still prefer to fill my chickpea concoctions with lots of fresh veggies (as in my “Sea-sational” Chickpea Salad) or fresh herbs (as in Creamy Chickpea Salad). But when I’m rushed, trying to get a lunch packed for my daughter or looking to add interest to my own lunchtime salad, I’ve learned to simplify chickpea salad down to 4 essential parts: chickpeas (naturally), something creamy, something crunchy or sweet, and some basic seasonings.

Recently, I made another discovery, that the “something creamy” didn’t have to be mayo or silken tofu. I was all out of both, but I did have a container of my Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce on-hand, so I gave it a try in my chickpea salad and was thrilled with the flavor as well as the fact that it’s much lower in calories than even my Tofu-Cashew Mayo. And I was out of Old Bay, my usual seasoning, so I replaced it with the “Slap Ya Mama” Cajun Seasoning my family gave me for Mother’s Day (how well they know me!), and it was just as delicious, though perhaps too spicy for most people. So feel free to play with the amounts and use your own favorite seasoning (salt-free, if you wish), but keep it simple and you’ll be eating this salad in about 3 minutes.

3-Minute Chickpea Salad

My daughter loves it when I wrap her salad in rice paper, which adds another 3 minutes or so to making this salad, but once you’ve done a few, they come together very easily. Rather than tell you how to wrap them, here’s a very rough video I made of me making them for E’s lunch one morning. Note the vintage 70′s counter tops and my bathrobe sleeve at the end. So classy!

Notes: Soak each sheet of rice paper in warm water until it’s softened but still got some firmness to it. How long will depend on how warm your water is, but I usually give it about 5 seconds. Don’t let it get too soft or it’s hard to work with, but with a little stiffness, it will continue to get softer as you add the fillings. Keep the finished rolls under a damp cloth to keep them moist.

Susan

This post contains an Amazon affiliate link to Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning because it’s awesome. But if you buy it through my link, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!

1 Sally May 15, 2013 at 10:02 am

Susan – with you on the chickpeas. I was in Whole Foods yesterday and almost forgot to buy garlic because I was so busy watching the guy spiralize some zucchini. Salad looks good and spiralized squash just makes it better.

2 moonwatcher May 15, 2013 at 10:20 am

Susan,

This post is chickpea gold!! Loved loved the video–the music was a great touch, and made me laugh and smile from the get go–a great choice for getting a classy packed lunch ready!! And the countertop and the bathrobe–just like my house, only different colors–lol!! AND. . .another GREAT use for that FABULOUS cheesy cauliflower sauce. This is going on my list. The wraps will be a great easy way to impress someone who shows up for lunch. Thanks!!

xoxo

3 Jennifer S. May 15, 2013 at 10:21 am

When you send them in her lunch to put a damp paper towel in the baggie or how does that work? Thanks – it’s a great idea! :)

4 Susan Voisin May 15, 2013 at 10:31 am

Yes, that’s exactly what I do. I put them in a plastic container with a tight seal and cover them with a damp paper towel to keep them fresh.

5 janet @ the taste space May 15, 2013 at 11:14 am

Cute video, Susan. :) Looks like you made a lot of wraps!

6 Tanya May 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

Exploring the PBWF lifestyle and glad I found your site!

I was wondering which spiralizer (word?) you use.

7 Susan Voisin May 15, 2013 at 11:54 am

I use this spiralizer, Tanya.

8 Tanya May 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thank you! It is on it’s way!

9 Rochelle May 15, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Awesome, as always. Loved the video :)

10 Molly May 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Susan,

Early this year, I decided to begin cooking pretty much exclusively from your site because my husband’s cholesterol had begun to rise even after a year of being vegan. He had a physical this week and the cholesterol had dropped by 50 points. Not only that, we have found your recipes to be unfailingly delicious. We can’t thank you enough!

11 Susan Voisin May 15, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Molly, that means so much to me and I’m thrilled about your husband’s cholesterol! Thanks for commenting!

12 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 15, 2013 at 2:22 pm

looks fabulous as usual! :D

13 kensington cooker May 15, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Had some of that yummy cauliflower cheesy sauce left, so I made this for lunch. Very tasty. Susan is fast though–it took me a whole five minutes!

14 Carie May 15, 2013 at 7:18 pm

This looks really good! I love the inclusion of Old Bay, and the fact that you use sweet relish rather than dill pickle relish. This will be perfect for whipping up a quick lunch, and it’s so adaptable!

15 Diane May 15, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Yum! Used this for pita filling with greens, tomatoes, cukes, etc. Delicious! Thanks for another great idea for your cauliflower cheese sauce! I’ve tried it in a lot of things in the last few days, but I hadn’t thought of mixing it with beans for sandwich filling.

16 Liz May 15, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Susan,
LOVE the video. It was simultaneously adorable, informative, fun and classy. I loved the music, which also happened to do away with any awkward introductions/small talk and voice instructions. I think it was my favorite food how-to video that I’ve seen. :)

17 Susan Voisin May 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Wow, Liz, I appreciate that! I’m still new to creating videos, so I’m a little shy about posting them. I’m glad you found it helpful and enjoyable.

18 Michelle @ Michelle's tiny kitchen May 15, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I stopped making chickpea salads because I was eating it with too much toast or cracker. I don’t know why I didn’t think of rice paper. Love this idea!

19 Tess McLoud May 16, 2013 at 4:57 am

You read my mind! I just named my new kitten Chick Pea and then I saw this post!

20 Andrea - Chocolate and Beyond May 16, 2013 at 9:39 am

Susan please can you give any tips on managing rice sheets? I have tried to use them but they always just end up in a gooey mess! I can’t untangle them or roll them! Thanks :)

(Also – please check your email! I have sent you a journalistic request!)

Andrea

21 Susan Voisin May 16, 2013 at 9:48 am

Andrea, the thing that has helped me the most is not letting the sheet get too soft. If the water is too hot, the sheets soften too much, so just use warm water and hold it by the edge. As soon as it feels soft but with still some inner stiffness, take it out and put it on a plate or cutting board. It will continue to soften. Also, take it out with two hands so that you can kind of spread it as you place it on the plate.

Could you re-send your email because I can’t find it? Try susan (at) fatfreevegan (dot) com and see if it goes through. I receive so much email that I have my spam filters set at the max.

22 Andrea - Chocolate and Beyond May 18, 2013 at 3:17 am

Thanks Susan! I will give that a go next time. I will try again resending the email as I did try to both your blog roll email and admin email, so will try with this. If you don’t see it today (as I am about to do it now), then please contact me!

23 Kathryn May 16, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I love you and your love of chickpea salad. Thank you for writing your blog and posting so many great recipies. I direct my health coachng clients your way often. I’m not one to write recipies so I really appreciate those of you that do.

24 Francis May 16, 2013 at 12:27 pm

What a great idea for an on-the-go meal. Yet I too have had problems with rolling rice papers. Just as a point of approximate reference, about how long does it take the edges to soften while leaving adequate stiffness in the middle? Will hot water from the tap be about right for four minutes? As much as I love variations of stuffed rice paper treats in restaurants, I still cannot seem to get it right at home.

25 Susan Voisin May 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm

It really depends on how hot your tap water is, but it’s four SECONDS, not minutes. You should be able to put your hand into the water with the rice paper, so not so warm that it’s uncomfortable.

26 Francis May 17, 2013 at 4:49 am

I think I’ve had a moment of blondness. Seconds? Okay, thanks for understanding and your help. Here I go for the gusto.

27 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today May 16, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I’ll make it to check if it’s 3 minutes :D and of course because it sounds delicious as well.

28 ChrisnEmsMom May 16, 2013 at 10:26 pm

This was so yummy! I made it for lunch today and threw in some finely chopped red onions. Also found out that cannellini beans work great if you are out of chickpeas. Awesome and easy!

29 elizabeth May 17, 2013 at 7:41 am

Looks wonderful! Our oldest would adore this dish. I could have it with her just by making mine with soaked, then sprouted garbanzo beans plus a few other changes. Looks great!! Thank you :0)
Peace and Raw Health,
Elizabeth

30 Julie J May 17, 2013 at 12:01 pm

This looks so wonderful, and I really want to try making my own wraps with rice paper. I don’t have access to an Asian market in my small town and need to order off Amazon. Do you use round or square and what size is best? Thanks!!

31 Joyce May 17, 2013 at 5:50 pm

What were the veggies and herbs you included in the rice papaer wrap? I figured I’d use spinach as well as fresh thai basil, mint, cilantro – but anyother suggestions?

32 Susan Voisin May 17, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Those all sound great. I used just spinach and tomatoes, keeping it simple for my daughter. I think basil would go especially well.

33 Esther @ A,B,C,Vegan May 18, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Just made this – so easy, so good. Brilliant!

34 Jeff May 18, 2013 at 7:28 pm

This looks delicious. You made it look so easy to wrap in the rice paper. I will have to try it. I also can’t wait to try the cheesy cauliflower sauce, it looks amazing also.

35 Teffy May 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I love chickpeas but I never thought to add it to a summer roll! Looks absolutely delicious thanks for sharing =)

Teffy

36 Pam May 19, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Excellent use for chickpeas! Tried the recipe with the cheese sauce, homemade relish and Mrs. Dash. Then, just for kicks, I rolled the salad in sushi wrappers. Loved the chewy wrapper with the chickpeas. Will try laying sugar snap peas or cucumber sticks with the salad next time. Love sushi anyway.

37 Colleen May 19, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Can i tell you how much I adore your website!?!? Thank you x 100!!!

38 Cathrine May 19, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Thanks for the quick base recipe! This was my first time making chickpea salad and it made it SO easy! :) I added some chopped carrot and celery (pulsed in the food processor) and I added some finely chopped scallions. The cajun seasoning made it tho. Great suggestion!

39 Kristin May 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Oh, man….these were SO good! Had a road trip and needed something we could take that didn’t require silverware. The rice paper was a fantastic idea. I love it when a simple recipe turns out so well! Thanks so much for a portable lunch!

40 Kristin May 19, 2013 at 9:18 pm

PS. I was lazy and threw the chickpeas in to the food processor and pulsed until they were the consistency I wanted. One more dish to wash, but my potato mashing skillz leave something to be desired. Came out great!

41 Anna May 20, 2013 at 6:35 am

I know what I’m having for lunch today! I usually make an overly complicated sandwich spread. This sounds just as delicious and a lot easier to make! Thanks!

42 Elisa May 20, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Looks great! Both my husband and I dislike sweet pickles. Is there anything we can substitute it with?

43 Stephanie May 20, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Thanks for the little video…it is always good to see how it is done! I am thrilled that your daughter loves to eat such healthy food. You are an inspiration!

44 Fiona May 26, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I just made this and while it’s good enough to finish, I actually found the combination of flavors a bit odd and I don’t think I’ll make it again. I am excited to try some of your other chickpea salads though! I made the sauce exactly as described except for using arrowroot instead of cornstarch. The sauce is definitely good for a low calorie sauce! But since I don’t watch calories I think I’ll continue making cheese sauces with cashews or a tablespoon or so of oil.

45 Linda June 14, 2013 at 10:50 am

Susan – this recipe is so delicious!!!!!

I used Veganaise instead of the cheesy cauliflower sauce or the tofu-cashew mayo because it’s what I had on hand. I’ll have to try it with the other condiments when time allows.

4 of my family members are coming in for the day tomorrow (they are bringing angus burgers for themselves) and I wanted to make some quick, non-time consuming and tasty vegan appetizer/main dishes for them to sample. I am sorry that I didn’t try this one sooner – it rocks!!!

Thank you so much for your blog – it’s my go to for almost everything!

46 trijbits June 16, 2013 at 6:11 am

I’ve made this a couple of times since finding it last month, and I love it! The sweet pickle relish really makes it. I use your tofu-cashew mayo and have been experimenting with the spices I have on hand until I can get hold of some Old Bay. The last batch with Mrs. Dash was pretty good.

This is one of the emergency foods I might carry with me, “just in case,” you know. Last week I let my friends taste my “no-tuna salad” and they claimed they liked it better than tuna salad! (They’re also trying to break me of my habit of apologizing for producing vegan substitutes for “the real thing.” LOL)

47 heather irving January 22, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Loved the chick pea salad. Can I freeze it?

Chili with black-eyed peas, quinoa & corn was the best chili I’ve ever made. It’s definitely a keeper.

48 Susan Voisin January 22, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I’m so glad to hear that about both dishes! Yes, chickpea salad should freeze just fine.

49 Sandra May 28, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I made this yesterday. It certainly was fast and good too ! I added some chopped celery to give a bit of crunch. I didn’t have any Old Bay or Creole, so I threw in some similar spices such as red pepper flakes, ginger etc. Either way this simple recipe is pretty versatile ingredient wise and what to use it for. I ate it in a sandwich, then later had it on whole wheat crackers. Really Good!

I’ve been eating vegan for about a year now. I still have a long way to go rounding out my artillery of meals. Recipes like this have helped a lot. I think also that the Cauliflower “cheese” Sauce is the best I’ve ever tasted, such wonderful flavor ! :) Thanks for sharing.