Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce

by on May 5, 2013

Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce

One of the questions I’m frequently asked about following an oil-free diet is “What do I use on baked potatoes or steamed vegetables or grits if I don’t eat butter or margarine?” Sometimes I mention salsa or mushroom gravy or the sauce from my Mac and Cheeze as options, but from now on, I’ll point people to this, my family’s new favorite all-purpose sauce. That’s right, all of us–including my picky teenager–prefer this cauliflower-based sauce to our old cheesy sauce. Daughter E put it best: “It’s less heavy, almost fluffy, and mixes into a baked potato better.” And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t like cauliflower very much.

Besides the flavor, which is tangy and delicious and holds no hint of cauliflower, what I like best about this sauce is that a generous 1/3-cup serving contains only 28 calories and has no added fat, gluten, or soy (if you use soy-free miso). The secret to its creaminess is cooking cauliflower until it’s practically falling apart before blending it in its cooking water until smooth. I used my trusty Vitamix, but I think that any good blender should be able to puree cooked cauliflower. Each batch makes about three cups, so you’ll have plenty to keep on-hand to use for up to a week or two. Just pour it on anything you think could use a touch of cheesiness. Besides drizzling it over baked potatoes and steamed vegetables, I’ve used it instead of margarine on grits, as a dip for tortilla chips, and even as a salad dressing (it was incredible!) And though I haven’t tried it, I can imagine it would be a delicious replacement for margarine on toast or garlic bread. I hope you love it as much as we do!

Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce

Don’t forget to check out my other Cauliflower Magic Tricks!

Enjoy!

Susan

1 Esther J May 5, 2013 at 12:51 pm

This looks so very yummy, Mrs. V. And I just bought some baking potatoes and cauliflower to make with veggie burgers for dinner sometime this week. This will definitely be on the menu.

Thank you much for being so generous with your talents! :)

2 chocolate-covered katie May 5, 2013 at 3:19 pm

As I’m editing photos for my post tomorrow (cauliflower alfredo sauce), your recipe pops up in my google reader… lol I swear I did not copy you. It is scary how we were on such a similar wavelength.

But, darn it, your photos are much better than mine ;).

3 Susan Voisin May 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm

What synchronicity! But I wouldn’t have thought you copied this recipe. I would have thought you copied the cauliflower alfredo sauce I posted years ago! Hahahaha! ;-)

You always have such gorgeous photos that I’m sure yours are great. I can’t wait to take a look at your post!

4 Pam May 5, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for giving me an idea of what to do with my cauliflower today! Just made this and had it for lunch over baked potatoes. YUM!

5 Susan Voisin May 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Wow, you were fast! I’m so glad you liked it!

6 moonwatcher May 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm

This sounds fabulous, Susan!! I’m in!! I like that it isn’t dominated by nutritional yeast. And I agree, cauliflower is indeed magic. I think it should be considered a superfood. It’s really high in vitamin K, which seems to do wonders for me. I try to eat it as often as I can, and now this is a new way to do just that!

Absolutely beautiful photos, too.

xo

7 Jacqueline May 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I’m loving this one Susan and it would be great for my fast days as well as my vegan husband. I really need to do more with my vitamix.

8 Susan Voisin May 5, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I’m doing the alternate day fasting, as you can probably tell from my latest, very low-cal recipes, and this is a godsend on those days. I hope you’ll give it a try.

9 Bonnie Koslow May 5, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Hi Susan – what do you mean, alternate day fasting? You are only eating every other day? I have been eating 2 meals a day and am wondering what it would be like to go a day without food. If this is not the place for this conversation, I apologize. Can’t wait to try this recipe!
Thanks, Bonnie

10 Susan Voisin May 5, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Bonnie, it’s not a true fast, but a reduction in calories two or three times a week. For women, it’s a limit of 500 calories on those fasting days, 600 for men. There are all sorts of theories about the benefits of doing this, and lots of books have come out recently, with titles like The 5:2 Diet. I’m finding that it’s really helping me understand the difference between hunger and cravings and keeping track of my calories on those days has given me an understanding of just how many calories different foods contain and how it’s possible for me to overeat even on whole plant foods. Here’s a link that may explain it better than I can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

11 Bonnie Koslow May 6, 2013 at 11:34 am

Thanks so much Susan – for this and all your wonderful information and insight :)

12 Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry May 5, 2013 at 5:50 pm

This sauce looks delicious! Love the taste of nutritional yeast and cauliflower together.

13 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 5, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I LOVE cauliflower something fierce. It works so well for things like this. I make a mean lemon pudding with cooked cauliflower. It’s quite unreal. And this? This is awesome!

14 Clare May 5, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Oh my Susan – Just made dinner, but I am making this TOMORROW! :) Ahh delicious. –Clare

15 Diane May 5, 2013 at 6:33 pm

If you had your choice of either one which would you recommend using in this recipe? The yellow white miso or soy free chickpea miso? Thanks, Diane from Roseville Ca

16 Susan Voisin May 5, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Hi Diane, I used the mellow white miso, so that’s what I recommend.

17 Cheryl May 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Wow looks awesome.
Susan can you please recommend a substitute for the miso?
Or give me some idea what would come close to the texture even if not flavor.
Thanks!

18 Susan Voisin May 5, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Cheryl, the texture of the miso doesn’t really matter (it’s a thick paste). It’s the flavor that’s important–salty and tangy at the same time. Some salt or a vegetable bouillon cube could be substituted.

19 Laurel May 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I must admit the smell of miso kind of scares me. Is it supposed to kind of smell, like beer maybe? I was not sure if I had a bad batch of something. So I pitched it.

20 Susan Voisin May 5, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Yep, it’s got that fermented smell. Too bad you tossed it out! It wouldn’t taste good alone, but it’s great in things.

21 Lisa Baus May 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Wow, that cauliflower sauce looks really good. I’m making a special trip to the store to buy cauliflower tomorrow just to make this sauce – I can’t wait. I recently gave up the oils and I have to admit what to put on my potatoes has been an issue for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

22 Lisa Baus May 30, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Just a follow up: this sauce turned out wonderful! It’s so easy to make, and works with everything just like you said. My husband and I run a fruit smoothie concession and we plan to start serving pretzels with this sauce since everyone in our family has liked it, and our non-vegan non-veggie eating taste testers liked it too.

23 Shawn May 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Hi Susan!
Longtime fan-your new posts are always a highlight to my day :)
But when I got to the end of this last post, I noticed an ad for Rumba meats?
I know ads help support all the great info you put out there- but I was surprised to see that on your beautiful vegan website?!

24 Susan Voisin May 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Thanks for letting me know. I try to keep the meat ads off, but sometimes one will slip through. I’ll look into it.

25 Christina S May 5, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I have a Vitamix blender and am wondering if I can keep the sauce in the blender instead of pouring into a saucepan in order to heat it. The Vitamix would heat it too within a few minutes. Would that activate the starch and allow for thickening of the sauce?
I am lazy and don’t want to wash an extra pot ;-)
Thank you!

26 Susan Voisin May 5, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I don’t think it would bring it to a boil which is what you need to activate the cornstarch. Besides, you should be putting it back into the original pan, so you wouldn’t be dirtying another one.

27 saniel May 5, 2013 at 7:34 pm

How long does it last in fridge?

28 Lisa Baus May 30, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I did notice after a few days it can start to get a cauliflower smell. It still tastes good, but it had more smell. My solution – I combined it with broccoli and rice and made a wonderful broccoli rice casserole.

29 Johanna GGG May 5, 2013 at 8:23 pm

this looks brilliant – have you tried baking it on top of a pasta bake or tortilla?

30 Linda Dale May 5, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I came up with a cauliflower cream sauce recipe that I’ve been sharing with people lately so I had to laugh when this recipe popped up on my FB page. Mine is not supposed to be “cheesy” though, so I’m looking forward to trying yours on things where a cheese sauce would be good. Thanks for sharing.

31 janet January 15, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Where can I find YOUR cream sauces? Thanks!

32 Leslie Paquette May 5, 2013 at 8:49 pm

This sounds great! I’ll definitely be making it this week. Thanks, Leslie.

33 debby May 5, 2013 at 8:51 pm

This sounds interesting but what would I use in substitution for the miso? I don’t even know what that is. I can’t use soy because of my thyroid. Thanks.

34 kimmythevegan May 5, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Mmmm this sounds delicious =)

35 Sunshine May 6, 2013 at 1:39 am

“Each batch makes about three cups, so you’ll have plenty to keep on-hand to use for up to a week or two”

How do you store this to last for 2 weeks?

36 Susan Voisin May 6, 2013 at 7:35 am

Just in a covered container in the fridge.

37 LauraS June 6, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Cooked cauliflower is good for 2 wks in fridge?

38 John Parker May 6, 2013 at 6:16 am

For health reasons my wife and I started a low-fat vegan two years ago. Overall, it’s been OK. However, I do miss piling cheese onto a baked potato. I can’t wait until we get a chance to try this recipe. I’ve already emailed the link to my wife. Thanks!

39 vegan gypsy May 6, 2013 at 6:26 am

This is genius! I myself have been wondering what to top my baked potatoes with, perfect! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

40 Lauren May 6, 2013 at 11:33 am

Just wondering if you could use regular mustard instead of dried? Also, do you think this would be good on spaghetti squash, sort of like a cheesy pasta recipe?

41 Susan Voisin May 6, 2013 at 11:54 am

Lauren, I’d probably use 1/2 tsp. of prepared mustard instead of the dry. And I think it would be great on spaghetti squash or zucchini spirals or on any pasta substitute.

42 crabbylove May 6, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Susan,
Do you think arrowroot would work as a replacement for the corn starch?
thanks

43 Irina @ wandercrush May 6, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Wow, this looks just like nacho cheese without all the melted plastic and preservatives! Hahah, you’ve created a miracle :) The versatility of cauliflower never ceases to amaze me… this recipe is going into my fast-growing arsenal of cauliflower-based sauce recipes.

44 Melanie May 6, 2013 at 3:57 pm

This recipe was awesome!! It turned out perfectly. I was wondering how it would transfer into a baked macaroni and cheese recipe?… I was also wondering if you have considered doing a cauliflower pizza crust? Thanks for all your amazing recipes, and all your hard work.

45 Gayle May 6, 2013 at 4:19 pm

This is so good! As soon as I saw this recipe I had to make it right away. It’s suppose to go with broccoli and potatoes tonight, but I keep “sampling”. I might have to make another batch for the rest of the family, haha!

46 Daniela May 6, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I’m having this over brussel sprouts and it’s so good! Thank you for another favourite!

47 Melissa Coonce May 6, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I love your website. I am new at being Vega,and I think your recipies ate the healthiest I have found. I love the cauliflower majic recipies. I just made the caulifl flower cheese sauce. Wonderful.
Do you have cookbooks out. All I have is email on my phone,kinda hatdvto see allbonbyour site. Thanks forsharing your helpful most healthy recipies. Thanks, Melissa Coonce purpleleaf@gmail.com

48 Dawn Meisch May 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Susan,
I made this sauce tonight for baked potatoes. My family loved it. Thank you so much.

49 Cheryl May 7, 2013 at 4:14 am

Susan,
Thanks! I totally didn’t see the “or salt” last time. I was copying it to a recipe card and drooling at the same time haha.
I hope you don’t get tired of reading it but your recipes are life savers. Wow, amazing!!

50 Alecia May 7, 2013 at 8:32 am

This was great! Nice to have some thing gooey on my baked potato again!

51 Claire May 7, 2013 at 7:30 pm

This might be because I used about 4 times as much turmeric than was called for, or twice as much paprika, or because I didn’t use any miso, but I thought this tasted almost EXACTLY like split pea and ham soup. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I just added more nutritional yeast to make it cheesier.

52 Mindy May 7, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I ate this over a baked potato tonight. Felt great to not need any Earth Balance. Very simple and yummy recipe. Thanks so much!

53 Brigitte May 7, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Hi Susan:

I am slowly changing my diet to vegan and really appreciate your recipes. My friend Marian turned me on to your website. I am wondering if you have any idea how to cook mungo beans into a tasty dish other than just boiling them in water.

Thanks.

54 Sara May 8, 2013 at 4:11 am

You are amazing!

55 Hope May 8, 2013 at 11:41 am

As you post more intermittent fasting recipes could you have like a tab for them? I would love to know which recipes go well. It’s been challenging for me to fit everything in without feeling deprived and your recipes are always fantastic.

56 Susan Voisin May 8, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Thanks, Hope! I recently added a tag to recipes that contain fewer than 200 calories, and that might be helpful to you. Not all recipes have been added to it, but I’m adding them as I find them. You can find the list here: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/tag/under200

57 Hope May 8, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Yay! That’s great. :)

58 LAB May 8, 2013 at 6:51 pm

This “cheese sauce” was absolutely fantastic, everyone went crazy over it especially the 11 year old! It definitely paired well on broccoli with Panko crusted Tofu steaks with red pepper walnut sauce.

Thank you, thank you for all your wonderful recipes!

59 Kate May 9, 2013 at 12:54 am

This recipe really doesn’t help my nutritional yeast addiction…. I’m overdosing here! But seriously, I love this. My parents used to put a cheesy sauce over our veggies when we were all young (and stupid) enough to hate veggies. I’m totally grabbing nostalgia and this recipe by the horns and trying it out this weekend.

60 Paula May 9, 2013 at 6:59 am

I never knew cauliflower could be so versatile. This looks delish Susan :) Definitely going to give it a whirl this weekend.

61 hg May 9, 2013 at 6:42 pm
62 Susan Voisin May 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the heads-up. I’ve reported it to Facebook.

63 Sylvia May 10, 2013 at 5:42 pm

How would this work with frozen cauliflower?

64 Susan Voisin May 10, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Probably the same as with fresh cauliflower except it should cook more quickly.

65 Kristin June 4, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I’ve never used anything but frozen cauliflower for this. Works great!

66 Betsy May 11, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I LOVE this sauce! I had a head of cauliflower in my fridge so I cooked it up. So good. Can’t wait to try on the hubby and kids!

67 Lisa May 12, 2013 at 11:09 am

This was excellent!! I’ve made your Mac n cheese before and while my kids love it, it isn’t my cup of tea. This one was loved by everyone. I am going to make a batch using broccoli next time instead of cauliflower and see how that turns out, but this was a great recipe as is.

68 Kensington Cooker May 12, 2013 at 7:32 pm

This is going into my “favorites” folder.
It might even out-compete my beloved fat-free honey mustard sauce.
I didn’t realize that cauliflower could disappear like this into something with such a nice, complex flavor–FFV kitchen magic again!
It’s going onto the steamed veggies this evening.
Don’t know what we’d do without you, Susan.
Kensington Cooker

69 Andrea Boddam May 12, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I made almost a double batch of this – had a whole head of cauliflower that needed a use – but I only had about 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast on hand at the time. Even with only half of what was needed it was soooo yummy! I can’t wait to try making it with the full amount for extra cheezey goodness.

It’s going to be my salad dressing for lunch tomorrow, and a yummy sauce to top my baked sweet potato dinner. This will definitely get me eating even more veggies on a daily basis >: D

70 bethany May 12, 2013 at 10:36 pm

made this sauce tonight & mixed it with some cauliflower, broccoli, a tiny amount of daiya, and powdered porcini mushrooms. topped it with breadcrumbs and baked it as a casserole. YUM! As always, thanks for sharing your genius recipes :)

71 Werner May 12, 2013 at 11:36 pm

This is a winning recipe for a creamy, cheesy, low-cal sauce. We added the salsa and used it as a “no queso” dip to go w/ our lentil cailiflower rice tacos. Lots of plans for this versatile and delicious sauce. Thank you so much, keep up the great work and Happy Mother’s Day!

72 Mary Kay May 13, 2013 at 1:03 am

This is great! Finally another way to spice up the cauliflower that’s been sitting in my fridge the past few days. My husband is gonna love this :)

73 Dipti Joshi May 13, 2013 at 8:26 am

I too was wondering about the cheesy sauce that you might be using..now I got my answer..

74 Betsy G. May 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I was really excited about the possibility of a cheese sauce that while it was in the final cooking step I added 1/2 c. chopped basil and 1/4 c. chopped sundried tomatoes. Sauce was amazing and plan to serve it on whole grain pasta tossed with mixed roasted vegetables (eggplant, red peppers, mushrooms, onions and zucchini). Can wait til dinner. Thank you so very much for all the effort you put into creating recipes that are ff and vegan!

75 Courtney May 14, 2013 at 10:56 am

I love this sauce! My omnivore hubby really loved it too! Thank you! I can’t wait to try it with fresh herbs, spices and veggies….there are so many possibilities with this sauce. I can’t get enough! :)

76 Chrissy May 14, 2013 at 11:15 am

This sauce was FAB! First I used it over potato, broccoli and cauliflower. Next day I made black bean and brown basmati baked taquitos (using some of the sauce for the inside mixture ) and drizzled some on top. A couple days later still had a good amount of sauce left (about a cup). I added in some more veggie broth (a cup and 1/2) sautéed up garlic, onions, celery a little roux to thicken soup (earth balance & flour) and added in broccoli- salt/pepper. Made a NO cheese & Broccoli soup. You can’t tell there is no cheese….it is so good! I had it with nutritional yeast & garlic toast. Thanks for the recipe….will be making the sauce to use again

77 Ellie May 16, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I made this and it was not doing a lot for me as sauce. As soup, however…delicious!

78 Brenda May 14, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I happened to have an orange cauliflower in the fridge and thought I’d give recipe a try. I love your old cheesy sauce recipe, but I think this one might be better (for dipping and drizzling at least). I poured it over roasted cauliflower and it was delicious! Thanks!

79 Diane May 15, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Susan, this stuff is great! I loved your cauliflower alfredo sauce and this one is even better! I’ve been plant-based for just over a year and I missed cheese. Tofu- and cashew-based cheezes aren’t an option for me right now, and nothing else tasted good – until now! I had a good-sized head of cauliflower, so I doubled the recipe and added salsa to half of it. So far I’ve used the plain half for Mac N’ Cheeze, over baked potato w/broccoli, in a sweet potato quesadilla, and as the sauce in a pita sandwich. I used the half with salsa over veggie taco salad, over hash browns, as a nacho dip for chips and veggies and in a toasted cheeze and tomato sandwich. Thank you!

80 Diane May 15, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Haven’t had fondue since the 70′s, but it was a favorite “special treat” meal in winter when I was a kid, so I decided to try it with the cauliflower cheese sauce. I dipped bread cubes, apple slices, broccoli and cauliflower florets, baby carrots, even pieces of homemade bean burgers in the warm cheese sauce. Mmmm!

81 Melissa January 14, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Great idea!

82 Deb May 18, 2013 at 5:41 pm

This was a great sauce. I added a bit more mustard to it to kick it up a bit.

83 Michele May 19, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Just feel I owe you this e-mail: your sauce is really wonderful. It tastes great, is healthy and makes everything taste better. I cooked it in the pressure cooker so it was also fast. I switched to a plant-food diet with no free oil ( I am a fan of Dr McDougall) 5 years ago and you have helped me stay on track. You have an amazing talent to make food tastes interesting. I love to use spices and herbs and your combinations strike the right balance with me. Your recipes are reliable. And to end, let me add that I love your photos and your wit. Thanks.

84 Pam May 19, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I made this today and served it on black bean nachos. It was soooo delicious! Thank you for such a great, healthy rendition of cheesy sauce!

85 Stephanie May 20, 2013 at 5:33 pm

There is no end to the magic of cauliflower I really want to make this and have it that chickpea sandwich spread. It sounds like something my daughter would love to see in her lunch box.

86 angela May 21, 2013 at 12:45 pm

This sauce is so delicious. I served it over pasta and steamed veggies last night. It was supposed to last for 2 dinners. It’s all gone. I got into it last night – dipping leftover veggies. Maybe even better cold. My oldest took it to school over steamed veggies. My little one just ate it for lunch with veggies (she thinks it’s cheese). This will be a staple for us especially since it is so easy for the lunch box.

87 Mikelle June 2, 2013 at 6:29 pm

First time commenter here, just made this and it is wonderful. Didn’t have starch of any sort so I used chickpea flour and it is still wonderful. Amazing on fat-free re-fried black beans! Thank you for creating!

88 Bethany June 3, 2013 at 8:15 am

I tried this on Saturday night and it turned out fabulous. Poured it over baked potatoes with steamed broccoli and fresh chives. I’m trying a very-low-fat diet for the summer, so I’m thrilled to find your blog, and planning to try lots of your recipes. Thank you!

89 pjacobs June 4, 2013 at 1:24 am

I made this tonight and put it on some spinach and kale and whole wheat pasta. This was so great, as good as any of the cashew cheeze sauces, and almost none of the fat. This will now be my go to when I want some cheezy comfort food. Thank Susan!

90 jaime June 4, 2013 at 11:54 am

I wasn’t digging the cauliflower smell so much after i made this. it was tasty but not a favorite. i make a great cheese sauce with sunflower seeds (Google sunflower mac PPK) so i was thinking next time i would combine the two. its odd bc i love cauliflower so much! bummer!

91 Sara June 5, 2013 at 10:14 pm

This recipe is AMAZING! I don’t comment often, but Susan I do use your recipes all the time. Whenever I make a new recipe, my partner asks “is this from Susan?” because he knows you site is my go-to for healthy vegan dinners! Tonight we served this sauce over whole wheat pasta (for the boys)/ raw zucchini noodles (for me), with steamed carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower, sprinkled with some coarse red sea salt on top. It was so simple and delicious, because the sauce is so good! I could have eaten the entire pot myself with a spoon. Also, in case anyone else is wondering, I made the sauce right in the pot using my immersion blender, and it worked perfectly, totally smooth and no lumps.

I would love to see your take on a cauliflower pizza crust. I’ve tried several online recipes, none of which have impressed me enough to make again, but I know yours would be fabulous!

92 Vaishali June 6, 2013 at 3:35 pm

This sounds terrific. Will try it out soon. Love the idea of a cheese free sauce.

93 Lauri June 8, 2013 at 10:10 am

I made some steel cut oats with mushroom base and spinach, chopped green onions, and this delicious sauce. Win! Thanks so much for the recipe!

94 Dawn June 11, 2013 at 7:53 am

I blended this sauce with an immersion blender right in the pot and was able to get it really quite smooth. Tasty – especially for its impressive lightness.

95 Emily - it comes naturally June 13, 2013 at 7:25 am

Hi! I used your recipe as a basis for a ‘vegan cheese’ cheese sauce on top of my vegan moussaka. So nice to find a low fat vegan cheese sauce!
gluten-free/

96 Bob Audette June 23, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Susan,
Just made this for grilled pizza tonight. It came out fantastic and will make a great addition. It will definitely help fill the void left by the absence of cheese. I find myself wondering what would happen if I added a little cashew butter.

Highest regards and thanks for sharing,

Bob Audette

97 charlotte June 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm

i just have to tell you how much i love this sauce. it has literally changed my life!! seriously! i am addicted to it!! i have it over steamed broccoli mainly. i use a leek chopped up in the water with the cauliflower and i put 2 large garlic cloves in aswell. and i double up on the nutritional yeast ! i absolutely love this website.. is saved me from the brink of a very bad time. i have been recovering (slowly) from many years of bullimia… becoming vegan has been the trick to my recovery. although it was not a conciouse choice!! my main reasons becomin vegan were due to morals, as i have allways campainged for animal rights and against factory farming (earthlings,literally broke me when ifirst saw it when it was released.. i had been vegetarian since a teen i am now 32)) anyway.. now on the road to revcovery, and cookin your lovely dishes has helped to conqour the ED demon . as eating such wonderful good food that i have prepared so carefully and with such passion.. defys my brains logic to binge and purge.. i still have a long way to go recovery wise but i just wanted to say thank you so much for the inspiration that has turned around my outlook on food & bought back a strong urge to LIVE! and enjoy it!! i am also curious as to how many other vegans are recoverd / or like me recovering ED types are out there? anyway sorry this is a massive long post when all i wanted to say was MASSIVE RESPECT for your AWESOME SAUCE! XXX

98 Melissa July 7, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I made this sauce tonight and felt compelled to leave my first ever comment. AMAZING!! Finally a vegan cheez that doesn’t taste entirely of nutritional yeast with a very authentic cheese flavor. I did not have cornstarch so I subbed granulated tapoica and used my hand held immersion blender. Now I need you to tell me how to get this flavor in a firm cheez. Fantastic!!

99 Starlately July 10, 2013 at 9:34 pm

This is, quite simply, A-MAZ-ING. Thank you, SO MUCH. I made this tonight for the very first time with a head of cauliflower that I picked up at our local farmers’ market. This is probably going to be a new favorite “regular” in my house. :o) Cheers!

100 Babs July 14, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I have been wanting to try this recipe for some time now and finally got around to making it….absolutely delicious! I am a newbie Vegan and have been trying out new recipes…this one is a keeper. :)

101 wonderousandstrange July 17, 2013 at 1:28 pm

You are a genius! I made this last night served over roasted broccoli, carrots AND cauliflower. My carnivore husband loved it. There is plenty left. I am now plotting what to do with the rest. I could just eat it with a spoon…

102 Jess July 19, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I came across your blog after finding this recipe on Pinterest.
I’ve been a vegetarian for about 11 years but have recently been cutting down on dairy and eggs for health reasons. This recipe and others from your blog have significantly contributed to me feeling healthier and today I also achieved my goal weight!

So far I’ve used this recipe on steamed vegetables, roast vegetables and an alternative to cheese on pizza. After reading these comments I’m also planning on using it on baked sweet potatoes tonight. My meat loving boyfriend thinks it tastes great too!

Thanks Susan for sharing these yummy and healthy recipes!

Jess =)

103 Heather July 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Oh my goodness.. so good! I need to double it next time.. we put it over noodles and broccoli ! Yummy! Even my 17 year old loved it! I notorious for tweaking recipes.. but this time I followed it to a tee! yummy!

104 Marcia July 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Susan, would arrowroot work in place of the cornstarch or potato starch and would the measurement be the same? Can hardly wait to try it, thanks!

PS. I made your Artichoke Pesto Pasta Salad for dinner the other night and my husband raved (quite a novelty for him!). Our food processor is broken so I ended up using our old “Oscar.” The blades are pretty tired and I couldn’t get it to “cream” the pesto until I added a little avocado; that did the trick nicely. Thanks Susan, I really enjoy your blog and recipes. They are full of flavor and more worldly than most others. Yum!

105 Susan Voisin July 25, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Marcia, I believe the conversion is 2 teaspoons arrowroot for 1 tablespoon cornstarch. I hope your husband enjoys this recipe, too!

106 Ryan Bakker August 1, 2013 at 10:35 am

First off–I want to say that your website has changed my life! I’ve lost over 50 lbs since January on a diet largely composed of your recipes. THANK YOU!

This sauce is amazing–I added some carrots (about 1/2 cup) with the cauliflower at the boiling stage and the result is a little sweeter and really close in color to boxed-fake-cheese powder. Yummy!

107 Mary T August 10, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I love this sauce! It’s so easy to make and tastes wonderful. It’s great on toast. I add lots of salsa and beans to use as a dip with baked tortilla chips or toast. Thank you for sharing so many great recipes!

108 Marcia August 19, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Cheese sauce on everything, oh my ! This is truly addicting. I think I’m in love! This is the 3rd time I’ve made this and all I can say is YOU ARE THE BEST!

I used wasabi powder instead of mustard because that’s what I had plus I added about 1 tsp. + the chipotle powder so it was good and spicy but not over powering (surprisingly so). Last night, I pan roasted 3 large portabello mushrooms and poured some in the caps. I used one for my “burger” and saved the other two for another day. Quite simply out of this world, thank you!

109 mj September 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm

The instructions for the recipe for Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce don’t include the addition of the last 4 ingredients – yeast, miso, cornstarch and lemon juice. Do these get added at the end? I know you can’t put the cornstarch in the pot of hot soup. Please help! Thank you!

110 Susan Voisin September 1, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Those ingredients are added to the blender in Step 2: “Add all remaining ingredients.”

111 River (Wing It Vegan) September 4, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I made this sauce and loved it! So light and delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe! (Blogged it here: http://www.wingitvegan.com/2013/09/cheesy-cauliflower-sauce.html)

112 Scott September 13, 2013 at 12:04 am

Fantastic! I just made this tonight for the first of what is sure to be many times! I cannot believe this is only 28 calories per 1/3 cup. Seriously! I had this Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce on cauliflower, I know, not very imaginative, but really just because I had leftover cauliflower after making it, and it was so wonderful! I can’t wait to try it on all sorts of things! I can’t wait to look at more of your recipes either! Thank you for this recipe and all the recipes I will try.

113 Maureen September 21, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I really like this sauce! I made broccoli and “cheese” sauce with it. It was great.

114 Kayla Revae Pins October 7, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Thank you a million times over for this recipe. A lot of my Midwest cooking calls for cream of mushroom soup and this makes a great vegan substitute. I refer back at least weekly. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

115 Corey Lee Wrenn October 9, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Delicious! Thanks for sharing, even my non-vegan mom liked it!

116 Sandi October 10, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Susan, can I use arrowroot instead of cornstarch? Can’t wait to try this. I love your recipes.

117 Brenda October 25, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I just made broccoli and cauliflower au gratin casserole by pouring this sauce over the veggies and baking for an hour. It made awesome comfort food without all the fat and calories, thanks!

118 Sandi November 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Susan, I found the sauce bland, so I added 1/2 tsp. horseradish sauce (no oil, zero calories, according to the jar), and that made it come alive! Next time I’ll try the chipotle for the paprika, or add liquid mustard. Thank you! I used this on corn on the cob and plan to use it on sandwiches or veggies.

119 Whitney Chao December 15, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Is this sauce ok for freezing?

120 Susan Voisin December 15, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I haven’t tried, but I think it would freeze well.

121 Marjan December 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm

This is so good! It’s even better than the real thing. I make half of the original quantity at a time, add about two and a half tablespoons of raw pecan halves to the cauliflower/water mixture (the pecans make it a bit richer), and then serve the finished sauce over cooked pasta. It’s one of our favorite vegan meals, and we have it often. Thank you, Susan!

122 Christina December 24, 2013 at 1:31 pm

This works really well. Have just made Christmas eve dinner with potato and leek gratin with this sauce. I simplified it a bit and just boiled cauliflower with paprika, cumin and then blended with mustard and still worked well. I also did some with toasted and then blended polenta and cashew nuts mixed with the cauliflower sauce. Such a great recipe/ idea thanks!

123 Joan Tendler January 3, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I was looking for recipes with nutritional yeast and this one looks fantastic-thank you! Nutritional yeast has so much lysine in it to counteract all the arginine in nuts, seeds, and grains, so it is very helpful. I need a few more ingredients, but I’ll definitely be trying your recipe!

124 Melody January 8, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I just made this over brown rice pasta for GF and DF “mac & cheese”. Absolutely amazing. All were satisfied, even those who often don’t eat vegan! Great recipe; it’s definitely going in my bookmarks! Thanks for posting!

125 Brandi G January 13, 2014 at 8:12 am

I just wanted to tell you that I made this last.

My DH was a meat and potatoes kind of man, but over the past few years I have introduced him to more and more veggies. Finally getting to go Meatless on Monday’s about a year ago, and he finally agreed to go two nights a week this January.

I found this recipe through another friend, i did not tell him that it was fat free or that it was vegan just gave it to him, and he loved it. Then I told him all about the recipe, and he was very surprised.

You have just helped me open his eyes a little more.

Thanks for the recipe, and the eye opening experience for my DH!

Brandi

126 Alyssa January 18, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I was reading some of the comments, and wondered if you could sub the miso paste with marmite or veggimite? It give you that salt and extra flavor…almost meaty, but it’s just yeast concentrate. It is very dark though, so it could alter the color.

127 Lisa P. January 27, 2014 at 10:16 am

What a great idea! I’m hooked on cashew cheese sauce at the moment, but this looks much better in terms of fat and calories. Can’t wait to try it out.

128 Michelle February 6, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Does the remaining cookig water for the cauliflower go into the blender?

129 Susan Voisin February 6, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Yes, the cauliflower and whatever is left of the water go into the blender. Just carefully pour the contents of the sauce pan into the blender.

130 Lisa February 6, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Hi from California! I’ve been following your blog since 2007, or 2008, and this is my first comment so before anything else, I have to say THANK YOU for all the work you’ve out into this! Without your blog I never could have entertained the idea of becoming vegan, much less gone ahead with it. And while I can never claim to be the die hard that other people become, your recipes are exceptionally helpful in my adventure as they seem to align with how I think of surviving on a plant based diet.

So! My question: I’m eager to try this and it looks incredible; would you happen to know if there might be a way to soften the cauliflower with less heat? I’m slightly concerned about the nutrient value steNjbg out

131 Susan Voisin February 6, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Lisa! The cauliflower is cooked only until soft, and the water that it’s cooked in is used in the recipe, so the nutrient loss will be minimal. And, as with most vegetables, some nutrients will actually become more available after cooking.

132 mkg February 8, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for this recipe! Made it tonight for nachos and as pasta sauce for the kids. Will be keeping this one.

133 vicki Clark February 16, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for the above recipe, just served my first vegan lasagne to meat eaters who did not notice anything ‘strange’ and cleared their plates. Have been vegetarian for 18 months but am really keen to make the step to vegan and recipes like this really help. Thanks again!

134 Jean bogardus February 22, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Sounds delicious but can you add the miso after you take it off the heat? Heating it till bubbly destroys the good stuff in miso.

135 Lisa Earl Wilson May 9, 2014 at 11:17 am

Oh my goodness! I made this for dinner last night, it was delicious!!! Even my husband loved it! I’m definitely going to check out more of your recipes! Thank you for sharing!

136 Lisa May 26, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Hello!
What can I use to substitute for the nutritional yeast? My daughter has a yeast sensitivity to nutritional yeast. I used it in a vegan Alfredo sauce and her lips puffed up and I had to give her Benadryl.
Lisa

137 Anna May 27, 2014 at 5:09 pm

If she’s not allergic to soy, you could blend in Yellow Bean Sauce. The miso (also a soy product) has a cheesy flavor too.
If she’s allergic to soy, you can use Kala Namak, or Indian black salt to taste in place of the regular salt.

138 Rachel June 19, 2014 at 8:57 am

Hi Susan! I have been meaning to make this recipe for the longest time. Lack of time in general and not having all the ingredients on hand were the cause for the delay but FINALLY I got everything together and made this sauce yesterday. Wow–spectacular! I doubled it right off the bat and I’m glad I did because I ended up eating a bowl of it like soup for lunch lol! Really delicious–served it on baked potatoes with scallions and toasted pumpkin seeds for dinner. My boyfriend and I ate two apiece. Thanks so much for your talent!

139 Lindsey Randall July 6, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Tried this for dinner tonight, so disappointed. It tasted horribly bland but had a funky after taste. Not a repeat.

140 Susan Voisin July 7, 2014 at 9:06 am

Sorry you didn’t like it. People have different tastes, so I can’t please everybody every time.

141 Sharon July 18, 2014 at 5:40 pm

What a wonderful cheese sauce, Susan! It was a breeze to make, and the recipe produced a silky sauce with a rich, complex flavour. Absolutely delicious.

142 Susan Voisin July 18, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I’m so glad you liked it, Sharon!

143 Jack July 18, 2014 at 11:43 pm

I cannot thank you enough for this recipe! Finally a vegan cheese sauce that is quick, easy, and pain-free. I especially appreciate the pain-free aspect, because paying 12 bucks per pound for cashews really hurts me. A new staple in my household, for sure.

144 Amanda July 21, 2014 at 8:16 pm

This was pretty good. I added some roasted red peppers to give it a nacho look

145 L2r1100 August 6, 2014 at 11:18 am

I just recently found your blog. What a blessing! This cheesy sauce is going to come in extremely handy!!! I had never even heard of nutritional yeast until you mentioned it here. We love it!!!!

146 L2r1100 August 13, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Oh my! Just made this today and I will be using it tonight on something! It is extremely simple to make and tastes yummy! Thank you for introducing me to nutritional yeast!

Wanda

147 sherri September 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

how long will this last in the fridge (i’m assuming it doesn’t freeze well) ? can you double the recipe with no problem?

148 Susan Voisin September 3, 2014 at 11:33 am

Since there are no preservatives, I wouldn’t try to keep this more than a week. Also, I find it’s better right after I make it than the next day. You can double it, but you’ll probably have to blend it in separate batches.

149 Linda September 15, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I just made this for myself and my mom, who are both transitioning to animal-free diets for health reasons. OMG is this stuff tasty! we ate 2 cups in one sitting on tortillas chips and baked potatoes. I was on the verge of drinking it (not joking!)
The only substitution I had to make was red miso for yellow miso since that’s what I had in the fridge. I am absolutely making this into queso ASAP. thank you!!

150 Ben September 27, 2014 at 9:49 am

We just made this for our chipotle seitan and it was so good that we were scooping up the remains with tortilla chips.

151 Lisa October 14, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Susan, I can’t tell you how excited and pleased I am to tell you right now, that I’m eating a baked potato, smothered with cheese. Except the cheese isn’t cheese, it’s your Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce recipe. So I’m eating a baked potato with a fat free, gluten free, vegetable side in sauce form basically. But my mouth doesn’t know that!! Thank you so much for this, it’s delicious. I used a kitchen aid food processor, no problems. Next time I’m making a double batch because it’s going on broccoli, vegan tacos, rice pasta, you name it!