Broccoli Slaw with Pineapple Curry Dressing

by on June 20, 2013

Broccoli Slaw with Pineapple Curry Dressing

This salad isn’t for everyone. In fact, two out of three of my household “taste testers” didn’t like it, but the one that mattered (at least when it comes to this blog) loved it.

I’m getting used to the picky palate of my teenager, but I had begun to think that my husband D likes everything I cook. Not so, apparently. I let him sample this salad before I did, and his lukewarm reaction had me scared to try it, so it was lunch the next day before I worked up the courage to try a bite. And another bite. It was good–sweet and spicy, just the way I like my salads. The only things it lacked were some sweet bites of fruit and maybe some nuts for crunch. So I stirred in halved grapes and sprinkled the salad with roasted peanuts–and wound up gobbling up the entire bowl for lunch.

Broccoli Slaw with Pineapple Curry Dressing

D now claims that he would have liked it better if he’d had it with the grapes and peanuts, and he’ll soon get a chance to test out that theory because this recipe is just so easy and delicious (to me) that I’ll certainly be making it again. And next time I will probably use packaged broccoli slaw rather than laboring over both a spiralizer and a mandolin to grate the broccoli and carrots. Freshly made broccoli slaw is definitely more moist and flavorful than the packaged stuff, so if you don’t mind a little mess and effort, I recommend you use either a mandolin or a food processor and save the spiralizer for larger, softer veggies. Just be sure you peel the broccoli stalks and cut off the bottom 1/2 inch or so to remove all the tough, woody areas before you start your shredding.

Important Message to Google Reader Subscribers

As you have probably heard, Google reader is shutting down on July 1st. I transferred my personal subscriptions to Bloglovin and to Feedly as soon as I found out, and I recommend both services. Feedly has the prettier interface, with a iPad app that I like, but Bloglovin sends me a list of my updated feeds every night, which is a great reminder to check out the blogs I love.

So if you use Google Reader to follow me, please consider switching over to one of these great readers. Or–even better–get notified by email every time I post a new recipe by signing up here.

Let’s keep in touch!

Susan

This post contains Amazon affiliate links. When you buy something through them, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!

1 Lin June 20, 2013 at 12:18 pm

This salad sounds so good! I might leave out the red pepper flakes, because we do not like food that is too hot….but am going to try this soon! Thank you for sharing!

2 Susan Voisin June 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm

You’re welcome, Lin! I meant to mention that the red pepper flakes could be “to taste” because I know not everyone likes their food the same “temperature.” :-)

3 Jessica @ conveganence June 20, 2013 at 12:33 pm

This looks right up my alley! Love the combination of pineapple and spices. So good :)

4 Richa June 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm

i think i will love these flavors together! yeah i used to think the same about my hubbs, that he eats everything i made and usually really likes it. then i started experimented with gluten free baking and things changed:)

5 Jacqueline June 20, 2013 at 3:58 pm

What an interesting slaw. I would never have thought of that in a million years. It sounds really delicious. I am lusting after that first bowl too!

6 betsy June 20, 2013 at 4:23 pm

I am a lazy cook. I would throw in a can of crushed pineapple, instead of separately putting in juice and chopped pineapple.

7 moonwatcher June 20, 2013 at 10:02 pm

This looks absolutely fantastic–my kind of salad!! I will definitely try this out when I’ve got some broccoli stalks to use up, or when I have a package of broccoli slaw. I put grapes in my salad all the time. I am putting this on my “to eat” list!!

ps: it looks gorgeous too :)

8 Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today June 21, 2013 at 7:54 am

I like all the ingridients so I think I’ll like it :) So far I have only a partner T. to taste new meals and he likes everything, haha.

9 Amy June 29, 2013 at 12:37 am

I made the pineapple variant without the stevia or grapes and with chunks of pineapple and some red kidney beans. It was also very quick to toss together on a week night. I ate it for lunches through out the week and each time it was delicious! I foresee it becoming a lunch staple.

10 Estelle July 1, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I just made this salad and absolutely love it! It is at the moment in the fridge (since I have to wait for an hour!) and even without the grapes and peanuts added in yet, I already loved the first taste. I love curry in salad dressings and this sweet and spicy combination certainly is a winner.

11 Estelle July 1, 2013 at 8:41 pm

My hour is up and I just ate a whole bowl of this delicious salad! I tastes great. The only changes I made was I didn’t use the sweetener in the dressing and my broccoli slaw had some shredded red cabbage in as well. The grapes lends a lovely sweetness and I quickly roasted some raw peanuts in a little pan on the stove and put these on top. Sweet and crunchy with some warm peanuts on top. What’s not to love? I will certainly make this very regularly now!

12 Heather July 1, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Our household is not (yet?) fully vegan, but we are trying to eat a more plant based diet. Made this tonight and it was a hit with the whole family. Didn’t have pineapple or juice so substituted orange and a bit of lemon. Also used a bit of honey and some pineapple habanero dressing my husband picked up at Costco. Delicious!

13 Melissa July 3, 2013 at 5:40 am

I tried this right after it was posted – and it has become my daily lunch. I use bagged broccoli slaw and it takes less than 5 minutes to throw together – perfect for work mornings. It completely fills me up for the long day but more importantly, it’s sooooo delicious. I am obsessed with it and have given the recipe out to so many people!

14 Susan Voisin July 3, 2013 at 8:04 am

Melissa, you don’t know how happy I am to hear that! Thanks for letting me know that I’m not the only one who loves this recipe.

15 S July 8, 2013 at 2:55 pm

My local supermarket has fresh, store made broccoli and rainbow slaw. It’s much more tender than the packages.

I’ve got curry haters in my house, so I made something similar.
Rainbow slaw, thin sliced hearts of palm, avocado, dried tart cherries, in an orange sesame dressing.
Well… Maybe not similar…but so good!

16 Mikelle July 14, 2013 at 7:51 am

I have made this salad a few times now. The first bite was underwhelming so I put it back into the fridge overnight. The next day it was amazing. It really gets more flavorful over time!! Love it.

17 Sandy December 31, 2013 at 10:15 pm

so easy and so good! I didn’t use the sweetener and of course had to put extra red pepper flakes in! But come on now: 4 servings? ha. 2 maybe. Of course I’m eating it as a meal, not a side dish!

thank you for another wonderful recipe!