Ridiculously Easy Cream of Broccoli Soup

by on December 17, 2013

Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup

For someone who has such definite opinions about all sorts of things–politics, football, sensible shoes–I can be so indecisive in the kitchen that it’s a wonder my family doesn’t starve. I’ll often have an idea for a recipe brewing in my head for days before I actually go and cook it because I can’t quite decide on the seasoning. And sometimes, as with this broccoli soup, I simply don’t decide–I make two batches and my whole family does a taste test and is saved from starvation for a few days.

Well, I didn’t exactly make two batches but rather one batch that I divided in half before adding the seasonings. I really wanted a straightforward broccoli soup, a soup that tasted like the vegetable itself, not a lot of seasonings, but I was afraid that might be boring. So I divided the ingredients exactly in half (a kitchen scale makes this doable with ingredients like broccoli) and made one half “plain” and the other half curried. I was very happy with the plain version, but just to make see if an addition of herbs or lemon juice might make it better, I further experimented with individual bowls of the plain soup. Still, I liked the plain soup the best, a big surprise for someone who sprinkles habanero seasoning on almost everything.

Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup

Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup

My husband, on the other hand, went crazy for the curried version, a simple variation that I made by replacing the gold potato with sweet potato, adding my favorite Maharajah curry powder, and increasing the red pepper. I liked it too, but sometimes I just want a broccoli soup to taste like broccoli, and I found the plain version to be creamy and full of natural flavor.

So give both versions a try to see which you like best. Or, better yet, do your own experimentation and let me know in the comments what additions you like.

Croutons!

Before I get to the recipe, let me tell you where you can find the recipe for the Fat-Free Ezekiel Bread Croutons that you see in the photos: my new newsletter, of course! The first issue went out this past Sunday, and if you weren’t subscribed, you missed it. Just kidding! I’ll be sending it to anyone who missed it later this week, so if you subscribe today, you can still get that first issue with the crouton recipe, as well as all the “NewsBites Exclusive” recipes to come.

Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup

It’s Green So It Must Be Christmasy

Well, maybe this broccoli soup isn’t exactly the Christmas treat you’re looking for, but I’ve got you covered. I’ve been pinning Christmas Recipes on Pinterest and tagging Holiday recipes here on my blog. And, if you’re still looking for a gift for an avid cook, check out my Kitchen Gift Guide or my Amazon store.

Happy cooking (and shopping)!

Susan

This post contains Amazon affiliate links. When you buy something through them, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!

1 Tami@NutmegNotebook December 17, 2013 at 11:36 am

What a beautiful looking soup and the calorie count is amazing! I will have to make this but with so many choices it might take me a couple of days to decided which seasoning to go with!

2 Susan Voisin December 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Thanks, Tami! Let me know what you try!

3 Howard December 17, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I have been making a similar recipe for years. Instead of Yukon potatoes , I use red lentils.

4 Lori December 17, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Could you just toss it all in a crockpot? It looks delish!

5 Susan Voisin December 17, 2013 at 1:17 pm

You could, but why? It just needs to heat for a few minutes after blending.

6 Ninufar February 7, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I’d vote no on slow cooking this, but I’m pretty fussy about broccoli. The taste will be different, but hey, if you’ve made something similar (with lots of broccoli) in the crockpot, who am I to say?

7 Becky December 17, 2013 at 1:55 pm

That sounds gorgeous. I’m leaning much more towards the plain one than the curried!

8 Jamie @ Dishing Out Health December 17, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Oooh I love the idea of curried cream of broccoli soup! Sounds perfect for the winter months. Thanks for sharing :)

9 carol December 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I tried to sign up for your newsletter and a confirmation email was never received to complete the signup process.

10 Susan Voisin December 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Carol, I just checked and I have you confirmed at this address but unconfirmed at another. If you use Gmail, check your promotions folder, if you have one, because gmail sends newsletters there.

11 moonwatcher December 17, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I can so relate to this process of experimenting in the way you describe, and then coming back to the simplest version of all. This sounds wonderful, and doable, too, without a special blender. The method is very similar to your Cheesy Cauliflower sauce (which I just made again) and I think it would make a gorgeous velvety soup. as evidenced by the beautiful green color in the photo. Thanks!!

xoxo

12 Chessie December 17, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I made a part-broccoli, part-cauliflower version of this for tonight’s supper, and it’s pretty good, even run through an old, slow blender. Next time I fix this I’ll try the curried version, because I thought it needed a little something (I added a dash of lemon juice). Probably more pepper or cayenne would have helped, too, but I was afraid of adding too much.

Thanks for the recipe, Susan! You never steer me wrong.

13 Mahealani @ Spending Time With Salad December 17, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Oooh, I love how thick and “creamy” that soup looks. Broccoli soup is one of my all time favorite things to eat. Thanks for this great recipe!

14 Dreena Burton December 17, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I can relate to your culinary indecision, Susan! Sometimes the simplest ingredients are the best, letting the natural flavors shine through. Coincidentally, we had a similar soup for dinner tonight – with raw cashews but butternut squash as the main base. I could have soup just about every night, it’s the easiest dinner to pull together and for me, always so satisfying! Going to share up your beautiful recipe! xx

15 Connie December 17, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I didn’t have any broccoli but did have romanesco so I made the plain version with it. It was very delicious. Thanks!

16 Linda December 17, 2013 at 11:42 pm

This soup sounds & looks wonderful! Because I am allergic to cashews, though, I’ll have to adapt. Do you have any suggestions for replacing the cashews in this dish? I’m wondering whether sunflower seeds would work, or perhaps some avocado?

17 Kate December 18, 2013 at 12:18 am

Easy and super creamy! I can’t wait to try this recipe.

18 kellie@foodtoglow December 18, 2013 at 2:29 am

I posted something similar-ish earlier this year with cashews and basil – no potatoes but with some crispy baked wonton garnish for contrast{http://bit.ly/1enJqnF}. You absolutely don’t need to use any cream, or even nut milk, to achieve creamy- textured, luscious soup, and this looks fabulous and comforting. PS Living in the UK, it’s scales all the way – no trying to figure out if my cup of broccoli is the same as the recipe developer’s! Happy Christmas from a fan in Scotland!

19 Carol December 18, 2013 at 7:33 am

Well, I goofed! I subscribed to the newsletter, but somehow deleted the first issue without copying down the crouton recipe. Will you be archiving back issues? Or am I out of luck? Thank you.

20 Dawn December 18, 2013 at 7:49 am

I love broccoli soup and have experimented making a potato-broccoli version for more creaminess. Thanks for the recipes. I am definitely going to try these. I like the newsletter too!!

21 Sarah December 18, 2013 at 9:41 am

Susan, I tried to subscribe but have not received an email confirming.

22 Mary@Mary's Test Kitchen December 18, 2013 at 9:58 am

That soup looks amazing…especially in that beautiful cup!!

23 Susan Voisin December 18, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thanks, Mary! I’ve had that bug cup for a while and have been waiting for just the right soup to serve it in.

24 Christine (The Raw Project) December 18, 2013 at 12:56 pm

This looks wonderful, vibrant color and simple! Looking forward to trying this, thanks!

25 Kristin Nicole December 18, 2013 at 3:29 pm

This does look simple, and I love easy dishes that can be made in the kitchen. Healthy and delish looking.

26 kensington cooker December 18, 2013 at 4:43 pm

I hope you don’t mind Susan, but I couldn’t help seeing this recipe as a springboard for variations. I used asparagus instead of broccoli, and a yam and nutritional yeast instead of cashews( the nooch idea I borrowed from your Quick and Easy Potato Soup ) . I used the simpler spice mixture. It was delicious, a nice orangey color, and approved of by my omnivore husband.

27 Vaishali December 18, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I can be very indecisive in the kitchen too, so I can totally relate. In this case, it appears that the indecision helped because you got not one but two great soups. I love how creamy it looks, and I am already biased to the curry powder version. :)

28 Esther J December 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I made the curry version for a holiday party (of non-vegans). Unfortunately, I don’t think it went over too well with that crowd. No one said a word to me about it afterwards. :( When I told my mother, who’s accustomed to trying and liking some of the fat-free/low-fat vegan recipes I make she exclaimed, “You took THAT [meaning ff/lf vegan food] to a holiday party! Those ppl wanted their fat and holiday indulgence; they weren’t ready for that.” lol

Regardless, I loved it! I loved the slightly sweet and spicy flavors together. Admittedly, when I got home I tasted it again, and tried to imagine what they tasted. Spicy baby food, maybe? I don’t know.

I would definitely make this again, probably using the white potato version just to experience the difference.

29 kensington cooker December 23, 2013 at 7:23 am

My very kind daughter-in-law accommodates my dietary needs, usually making one of your recipes when we visit. She started the family early- Christmas dinner with this soup. She’d followed the recipe exactly, using the simpler spicing. It was a hit with nine people ( all omnivores except me), including two small kids. I made my main meal out of it. Thank you once again Susan, and have a delicious Christmas.

30 Susan Voisin December 23, 2013 at 8:12 am

I am so happy to hear that so many people liked it! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

31 Arlene Harris December 23, 2013 at 11:08 am

Love the recipe……Used it many times……If I don’t have nuts in the pantry I have substituted white bean……little different taste but very good…..

32 PianoChick December 30, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I just made this soup tonight. It is SO GOOD! Thank you for a new, simple recipe that I can whip up quick on a busy night!

33 DeDeNYC December 31, 2013 at 6:05 pm

This soup is deeeeee-lish! I made the curry and sweet potato version, and loved it so much that I’m writing this on New Year’s Eve to tell you so : ) ! A few twists: I doubled the water, which made the soup more soup-y (and while it didn’t turn out as creamy as your photo, it got it away from that “spicy baby food” consistency that another reviewer mentioned. Just sayin…) Another hint: soak the cashews for 4-6 hours before putting them in the soup. This helps to soften them up and makes the resulting soup really creamy and not chunky. Loved it!

34 Sandy December 31, 2013 at 9:45 pm

RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS, as well! I just love this soup – thank you, thank you! Easy, oh so pretty, healthful and beyond yummy!

35 Cheryl January 1, 2014 at 8:06 pm

This is great! Because I don’t have a Vitamix, I used my immersion blender and really like that there were fewer pots and things to clean that way. Can’t wait to try the curry version and I may try blending the broccoli and half the potato, but then having some chunks of potato and carrot for more texture – ooo, a splash of sherry might be good, too :)

36 Charleen January 6, 2014 at 5:58 pm

While struggling to find good vegan recipes due to cardiac problems, I came across a blog that sent me to yours.
I am amazed at the wonderful recipes you have on here. I will be a happy follower as I learn the art of vegan cooking as I try your excellent selections.
Thank you for being so creative!

37 Corrin Radd January 6, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Made this today and my toddler who refuses almost everything green gobbled it up. I might have to make a pot of this every week to get some broccoli in him.

38 Princy January 8, 2014 at 5:07 am

I have made this soup a couple of times already and no one in my family could believe it was vegan! I’m only just starting to venture into the vegan world and finding it a relatively easy switch from my vegetarian diet. This soup will become a staple in my family – my kids (7yrs and 5yrs) cleaned their soup bowls last night! Thanks for developing and sharing this super easy and delicious recipe.

39 jill January 8, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I am a lazy chef and was wondering if you blend everything at the end, do you really need to chop all the ingredients. Planning on making in my instant pot, so was thinking I could probably very coarsely chop (maybe quarter) the onions, broccoli, potato, etc and that it would probably come out the same. Let me know if there is a reason to chop them finer other than cooking faster. I have a blendtec so it will not take long to make it smooth and creamy no matter what the size. Also, it adds more nutrition to leave peels on cleaned potatoes- would this affect the taste in your opinion?

40 Laura January 12, 2014 at 5:35 pm

When you say “cooked” potatoes, do you mean baked or boiled? Or does it matter?

41 Susan Voisin January 12, 2014 at 5:40 pm

It doesn’t matter a lot. I believe I microwaved them. Boiled would probably retain more moisture, so that’s what I suggest.

42 NoreenB January 14, 2014 at 10:20 am

I love your blog! I found it this past July (2013) when I decided to cut wheat, dairy, and sugar from my diet. Partly was for health reasons, the other part was I knew it was time for me to pay more attention and lose weight. I’ve lost 30lbs. I love food, and I love good food, it’s just so easy to eat too much of it, and then give in to my total attachment to bread and sweets. I’ve made many recipes from your site and I come here to be inspired and remember why I eat good food and for health! The site is so beautiful, I love your photos and the set up is well organized and easy to follow. Thank you for your consistent work to keep it up.

43 devyani January 16, 2014 at 7:49 pm

My suggestion: make your OWN curry powder. It is easy and cheap and not to mention fresh. I use a coffee grinder..reserved for this…unless you are pushing maharaj products (I am hoping you aren’t)…I would make my own.

44 Susan Voisin January 16, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I do make my own curry powder for some recipes, but most people don’t want to go to that trouble for a simple soup like this, so I recommend a good curry powder that they can use. Maharajah is a type of curry powder, not a brand, and I’m not “pushing” it. I get no compensation for recommending it.

45 Layne Madrid January 17, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Not a huge fan of broccoli and I hardly ever make soup, however this soup is going into bi-weekly rotation! It was delicious and my one year old kept signing more!
Thanks for helping me create delicious, healthy and quick meals for my family!

46 leftylen January 19, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Made it, delicious. (non curry)

47 jstump209 January 21, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Do you think it would it turn out ok if i left the peels on the potatos?

48 Susan Voisin January 21, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Probably, but it might not be as smooth.

49 KC January 22, 2014 at 9:08 am

I LOVE cream of broccoli soup but never eat it due to the fat and dairy. I made this over the holidays when my daughter was home from college, doubled the batch, and came home to find it gone! She and her friends devoured it. Ended up making two more double batches during the two weeks she was home. It’s delicious and creamy and SO good for you. One of my new faves!

50 Werner January 24, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Simple bliss in a bowl. Amazing that something so quick, easy, and nutritious can be beyond satisfying (made the plain version). Thank you!

51 Darren Kapule January 25, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Wow! I just started a whole foods diet- weight loss is a main concern as of right now- but once I reach my target weight of 189 (I’m 205 now at 6′ 1″) I want to just eat healthy and not worry about reading calories… I’m so glad to have stumbled onto your site (thanks Google)! I can’t wait to try this broccoli soup- thanks Susan for sharing your food ideas with us!

Darren

52 Nat February 1, 2014 at 12:33 pm

YEP! LOVE IT! SOME VARIATIONS B/C THAT’S WHAT HAPPENS IN THE KITCHEN… BUT IT WAS FABULOUS AND WILL DO IT AGAIN! NOT AS QUICK AS I THOUGHT B/C I HAD TO WAIT FOR POTATOES TO COOK. YEP IT WAS GREAT!!

SIMPLY ENOUGH TO NOT MESS IT UP… I’VE MESSED UP A COUPLE EASY RECIPES LOL!!

Thanks!! :-)

53 Em February 12, 2014 at 9:28 am

I LOVE you! You have come to my kitchen rescue so many times. I made this with leftover barely steamed broccoli which I added in towards the end- with the cashews and it was wonderful. Thanks! Next time I also have leftover sweet potato/yams I will cook the curry version.

54 Marla Kerr February 15, 2014 at 9:11 am

This was fantastic; I make a batch and take it for a week of lunches about once a month. I microwave the potato for 4-5 minutes to speed up preparation. I prefer the original spices and have added cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to add a little heat. Thank you for such a simple, delicious, healthy recipe!

55 Esther J February 16, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Hey Susan,

I’m planning meals for the coming week and seeing as I have quite a few broccoli crowns in the crisper, I think I’ll be making this again. This time, it occurred to me to try to create a broccoli and cheeze version, akin to a broccoli and cheddar soup. (I had a strong dislike of it when I was an omnivore, so why I want to attempt a vegan version is a mystery to me!)

Have you (or any other blog poster) attempted this kind of variation? And the results?

Thanks for everything!

56 Esther J March 22, 2014 at 7:39 pm

To answer my own question, I ended up making, instead of this recipe, a broccoli and corn cheezy chowder, which was a variation of Oh She Glows’ broccoli and cheeze soup (http://ohsheglows.com/2011/12/20/broccoli-cheeze-soup/), but using Susan’s cheeze sauce and no oil, then throwing in some corn kernels at the end.

It turned out really, really good and very pleasant indeed. But alas, like its non-vegan counterpart, not a favorite.

57 Sara February 22, 2014 at 11:51 am

My boyfriend surprised me with this soup for dinner a few nights ago (he knows I love any recipe from your site!), only he used cauliflower and a sweet potato (also added curry powder and omitted cashews since I’m on McDougall right now). It was one of the best soups we’ve ever had! We just harvested broccoli from the garden and tonight we’re making the broccoli version. I’m sure it will be just as delicious!

58 Mike March 23, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I tried this soup, and it was good, especially considering how easy it was.
I did try the curry version, but curry powder was too “curry powdery” tasting.

So I tried a “chaunk” using some hing, cumin, green chili pepper, turmeric, calendra, and a 1/4 teaspoon of rice oil (I skipped the garlic all together), threw it hot into the basic soup, and it was definitely approaching heavenly.

59 Heather W. April 4, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Can this soup be frozen? I’m preparing for post-partum freezer stock up, and I really need some easy stuff that I can freeze in bulk and just warm up. Any ideas for what to type into your search bar to find those types of casseroles/soups/dishes would be great.

60 Jenny._. April 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I love your site so much. haha thank you for being you n_n I’m trying to be more vegan and cook more and being only 15, I’m not allowed to cook certain things at home. But, thanks to you I’m able to experiment and make A-M-A-Z-I-N-G foods.

61 Teresa August 17, 2014 at 10:08 am

I just LOVE this soup. I love to sprinkle a little more red pepper flakes and some smoked paprika on top of each bowl….absolutely delicious, and so thick and creamy. One of my top 5 favorite vegan recipes. :-)

62 Emma M. September 3, 2014 at 11:54 am

I just wanted to say that through the years of scouring the web for healthy whole-food recipes, and dabbling in and out of diet ‘fads’, your blog has always been a sort of safe haven filled to the brim with simple, delicious and healthy recipes. I’ve pointed many friends and co-workers to your site, and no matter what their eating habits are they all find your recipes easy to follow and easy on the tummy.

I wasn’t sure where to post this, so I figured I’d post it on the next recipe I plan on cooking up for the week! A sincere thank you for all the work you do from myself and my boyfriend (whom happily devours everything I’ve made from your blog).

Cheers :)

63 Susan Voisin September 3, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Thank you so much for letting me know that my recipes are working for you. It’s people like you that keep me cooking and posting!

64 MK September 4, 2014 at 9:31 am

I have been a long time reader but a first time commenter :-)

I have been trying to clean up my family’s eating habits and your blog has been a huge help. I made this recipe last evening for what was originally my dinner and my broccoli hating husband ate a bowl and then came back for seconds and thirds!!!! He took it for lunch again today… We LOVED it!!!!

65 Helen September 6, 2014 at 9:45 am

Made the curried version last night. It was amazing. I doubled the receipt and used half broccoli and half cauliflower. One of the most delicious meals I have made in a while. I usually only make a dish a few times then move on to new ones, it makes it more interesting for me. This one I will keep and make many times. Your receipts are amazing and I use them often.

66 Ainsley October 31, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Best soup I’ve EVER had. Thank you!