You can make this creamy, ridiculously easy, vegan broccoli soup two ways, curry spiced or savory.
For someone who has such definite opinions about all sorts of things–politics, football, sensible shoes–I can be so indecisive in the kitchen that it’s a wonder my family doesn’t starve. I’ll often have an idea for a recipe brewing in my head for days before I actually go and cook it because I can’t quite decide on the seasoning. And sometimes, as with this broccoli soup, I simply don’t decide–I make two batches and my whole family does a taste test and is saved from starvation for a few days.
Well, I didn’t exactly make two batches but rather one batch that I divided in half before adding the seasonings. I really wanted a straightforward broccoli soup, a soup that tasted like the vegetable itself, not a lot of seasonings, but I was afraid that might be boring. So I divided the ingredients exactly in half (a kitchen scale makes this doable with ingredients like broccoli) and made one half “plain” and the other half curried. I was very happy with the plain version, but just to make see if an addition of herbs or lemon juice might make it better, I further experimented with individual bowls of the plain soup. Still, I liked the plain soup the best, a big surprise for someone who sprinkles habanero seasoning on almost everything.
My husband, on the other hand, went crazy for the curried version, a simple variation that I made by replacing the gold potato with sweet potato, adding my favorite Maharajah curry powder, and increasing the red pepper. I liked it too, but sometimes I just want a broccoli soup to taste like broccoli, and I found the plain version to be creamy and full of natural flavor.
So give both versions a try to see which you like best. Or, better yet, do your own experimentation and let me know in the comments what additions you like.
Before I get to the recipe, let me tell you where you can find the recipe for the Fat-Free Ezekiel Bread Croutons that you see in the photos: my new newsletter, of course! The first issue went out this past Sunday, and if you weren’t subscribed, you missed it. Just kidding! You can subscribe today and still get that first issue with the crouton recipe here.
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1 1/4 pound or 6-7 cups chopped)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I used Imagine’s No-Chicken)
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, cooked, peeled and diced
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup raw cashews
- salt, black pepper, and cayenne, to taste
- Place the broccoli, onion, garlic, and vegetable broth in a saucepan. Bring the broth to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until broccoli is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Put half of the broccoli and broth into a blender with half of the potato and cashews. Blend at high powder until smooth. Pour into another saucepan, and repeat with the rest of the broccoli, potato, and cashews.
- Heat the soup, covered, on low for 10 minutes or so. Check seasonings and add salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a pinch of red pepper to taste.
Add 1 teaspoon of good, mild curry powder to the broth in the first step. Substitute a cooked, peeled medium sweet potato for the Yukon gold potato, and add a larger pinch of cayenne pepper to finish.
Please Pin and Share:
It’s Green So It Must Be Christmasy
Well, maybe this broccoli soup isn’t exactly the Christmas treat you’re looking for, but I’ve got you covered. I’ve been pinning Christmas Recipes on Pinterest and tagging Holiday recipes here on my blog. And, if you’re still looking for a gift for an avid cook, check out my Kitchen Gift Guide or my Amazon store.
Happy cooking (and shopping)!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. When you buy something through them, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!