Non-Recipe: Loki and Leo and a Box Video

by on March 5, 2014

Loki and Leo

I’ve been having so much fun following our new kitten, Loki, around with a camera that I haven’t cooked anything new this week. Instead, I’d like to show all of you fans of Loki a side of him you haven’t seen yet. In most of his photos, he’s staring soulfully into the camera, the picture of innocence. In reality, he’s more likely to be found kicking all of the dirt out of houseplants, knocking everything off my desk, or racing through the house with his partner in crime, Leo. Their expressions often look a lot like this:

Loki and Leo

It doesn’t look like they’re having fun, but they are, and they’re usually equally aggressive in their play fights.

Loki has been a real gift to Leo. Though Leo’s now 5 years old, he has a lot of playful energy, which hasn’t gone over well with our older cats. But now that Loki is here, he’s leaving the other cats alone and finding that one small kitten is as much as he can handle.

Without further ado, here’s Loki and Leo’s first video, with soundtrack by Lorenzo’s Music:

I’ll be back soon with an actual recipe.

Susan

1 Michelle @ Michelle's tiny kitchen March 5, 2014 at 4:34 pm

They are too adorable! I’ve never had cats, but the video made me want a pair!

2 Barbara March 5, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Those two are just made for each other. I bet the video would go viral if you put it on Youtube! Thanks or sharing heir adorableness.

3 Shana March 5, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Two kitties is WAY better than one! You know, there’s something a little kooky about the genes of a siamese tabby cat. My Szechuan was pretty wild in his younger days. Must be something in the eyes! Has Loki started “talking” to you yet? Siamese are known for being very vocal!

4 Susan Voisin March 5, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Shana, he is almost completely silent. We’ve only heard his tiny voice a handful of times, usually when we (or Leo) are holding him and won’t let him go. He doesn’t cry for food or during shots or anything. He’s the quietest cat I know.

5 maryeb March 5, 2014 at 5:35 pm

So fun! Thanks for sharing. Is Loki a Siamese?

6 Susan Voisin March 5, 2014 at 5:45 pm

He must be part Siamese, but he was rescued off the street, so we’ll never know.

7 Sally March 5, 2014 at 5:37 pm

That is so wonderful. Thanks!

8 Em March 5, 2014 at 5:39 pm

oh I am SO HAPPY to see Loki and Leo- what fun for both of them. And isn’t it nice to be distracted from cooking some times? We certainly have plenty of recipes of yours to make!

9 Chessie March 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm

That Loki is all kitten! It’s great to see those boys having such a good time.

10 Cheryl March 5, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Oh I’m in love! Thank you so much for sharing, and please share more!
I love Loki’s eyes.. and Leo looks exactly like a cat I used to have named Twinkles.
I haven’t laughed this much in a while, thank you!

11 Andrea Boddam March 5, 2014 at 5:43 pm

B’aww, your Loki sounds like he’s as charming and as devious as my kitty (Also named Loki). Just goes to show you what you get naming anyone after the god of Mischief. Is your boy a leg climber like mine?

He looks like such a sweetheart though!!

12 Susan Voisin March 5, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Oh gosh, YES! He races up and down the furniture–and sideways. He can’t jump very high so compensates by climbing over everything. I’ve given up on keeping my furniture looking nice.

13 Catherine May 2, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Hi Susan, There used to be sheets of material like double-stick tape that you could put on upholstered furniture and was supposed to keep cats off–I don’t know if it is still available.

Thanks for the reminder of how wonderful it is to have a kitten (it’s been a long time)!

14 Werner March 5, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Ha-ha, fantastic! Thanks for sharing, so happy to keep up with Loki’s development. He’s super cute and a very lucky kitty.

15 2da4est March 5, 2014 at 5:46 pm

That was the BEST video I have ever seen. You did a purr-fect editing job. I say forget the recipe, this is a much better diet!

Love this.
zora

16 Dianne March 5, 2014 at 5:54 pm

OMG how wonderful! Who could cook or want to when you have the marvelous cats to watch .. Just priceless!!!

17 Janet March 5, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Way better than a recipe! SO cute! Hard to believe Loki was near death just a short time ago. I’m glad he made such a great recovery. Thanks for sharing!

18 Lorna March 5, 2014 at 5:58 pm

That was so much fun to watch! It made me want kittens, and I am allergic to cats!

19 Jann March 5, 2014 at 5:59 pm

What a hoot those guys are…….let’s just have fun is Loki’s motto , I’m guessing.
Jann

20 Morris Donna March 5, 2014 at 6:29 pm

So sweet…….if no recipes, cats are the next best thing!

21 Lauren Vaught March 5, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Susan,
The video of the cat/kitten exchange and play is priceless! I have one cat and have recently thought of getting her a little friend.
You are also a master photographer and now a great videographer! You also continue to be a great inspiration to me.

Thank you for your sincerity, honesty, great information and delicious healthy recipes; which I refer to often on my own blog!

Cheers,
Lauren
Edible Musings

22 Beth March 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm

That was great! Those 2 are made for each other. I love how Leo bites and then licks Loki. Makes me want have cats again.

23 Brenda March 5, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Feel free to post kitty videos anytime in lieu of recipes!! This was adorable and just the thing to watch after a long day at work!!

24 Danielle March 5, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Your cats’ antics made me laugh. Loki looks so precious. I’m happy for Leo that he got a great playmate!

My 18 year old cat is not doing the best right now, and so it cheers me up to see happy young cats again :)

25 LaJuana March 5, 2014 at 7:14 pm

That was some kind of terrific Susan!!! I can well imagine Leo looking for some tape to seal that box up ….at least long enough for a cat nap! Thanks for sharing!

26 Deb March 5, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Oh, how cute are they! Made me laugh out loud! My kitties are 14 now – not rough-housing so much anymore, but they do love to be spoiled!

27 Raniya March 5, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Those white-ish cats with blue eyes are so captivating! Super cute video! So happy you adopted. <3

28 Nicole March 5, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Loki is adorable! He looks like the twin of my 6-month old siamese tabby, Zoey. She’s also become the partner in crime to 3-year-old Eli (and they leave the older one alone). The scenes from your video are what happen in my house on a daily basis, too. Yay for cat families!

29 Nancy March 5, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Just adorable! Thank you so much for sharing. What clowns!!! Every day must be so much fun! Enjoy!

30 Penny March 5, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Siamese rescues are the BEST! So much personality.

31 Patsy March 5, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Susan, you made my day. Nothing more entertaining then a kitten at play. Looks like you may need to change that “K” in his name to an “N”
Bless you for rescuing animals who need homes. I’ve been doing it for 25 years and nothing is more expensive or rewarding. LOL

32 Marie March 5, 2014 at 8:23 pm

I love it! I had a similar experience with my male cat, Theo, when I brought a tiny homeless kitten in from the cold. I’d only intended to foster her until I could find a home for her, but when Theo saw her they immediately began to tumble and play. It wasn’t until then that I realized how unhappy he’d been before as an only cat. As with humans, some are more social than others! Needless to say, the kitty stayed and we all lived happily ever after. :)

33 dyannne March 5, 2014 at 8:44 pm

*Almost* makes me want to get a kitten! :-)

34 moonwatcher March 5, 2014 at 9:32 pm

My goodness, things are hoppin’ at your house!! This was hysterical. They are both so cute and so into playing with each other. That’s really neat! Thanks for sharing Susan–and loved the film credits!! :)

xoxo

35 oceanfrontcabin March 5, 2014 at 10:08 pm

great non-recipe this week! worth the fun!

36 Becky March 5, 2014 at 10:28 pm

Loki and Leo are meant for each other. Wow, usually introducing a new kitty presents indignation, but all I see is love. How Cool:). I have two kitties that are my Everything’s. Live inthe woods and they hike with me and give me laughs and love. Happy Days!

37 Rosalyn Weinstein March 5, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I just wanted to thank you VERY much for sharing this. It really made me smile and laugh. I had two cats, both grew to a nice old age but the last died last year. Till the end he loved a box, any box, and like Leo he never lost his playfulness. I really miss them both. This brought back some fun memories. Thanks. … And, I love the recipes so thanks for all that you share.

38 Rosalyn Weinstein March 5, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Oh, I forgot, all of my cats including our family cat growing up were rescue cats. And, when I’m ready my next will be too.

39 Sandy March 5, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Not only do you take amazing pictures of food but also of your kitties :-) Then again I can’t imagine anything that gorgeous ever not looking good in a pic ;-)

40 margarita March 5, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Recipe shmecipe! How can you be expected to do anything else with that show going on?! Beautiful boys! We lost two of ours relatively recently, and now we’re down to one. You’re video is making me think we should get him a little brother, too! (Don’t tell my husband I said that.)

41 Laina March 5, 2014 at 11:08 pm

I had to laugh out loud quietly. I’m in bed and DH is asleep next to me. :-)

It was so much fun to watch and you’re just as good at taping videos as your are at taking beautiful photos of your dishes. You are multi-talented!!!

I loved the part where Joe tried giving Loki a bath towards the end – he fought and fought and finally calmed down and gave in to a good clean! Hee hee!!!

42 Wendy March 6, 2014 at 5:17 am

What a little trouble maker! I like Leo licking Loki in the middle of play, it’s like he’s saying “Calm down little one”

43 Gina March 6, 2014 at 6:34 am

This made my day–too cute for words! I love seeing how much fun they are having with each other, which is a good reminder that it’s always best to have more than one kitty.

44 Bonnie March 6, 2014 at 7:42 am

Thanks for sharing your kitties! I love them but I am allergic. They are so darn cute.

45 Mary-Anne March 6, 2014 at 9:31 am

And this is why two cats or two of anything really, makes so much sense…built in play-mate! This just made my morning, I miss having cats, but with birds and hamsters in the house, I put the felines on hold for awhile!

46 Julie March 6, 2014 at 9:35 am

Adorable kitties! Thanks for sharing, I got a big laugh at the start of my work day today. I LOVE cats, and my husband does not, poor man. We have two black females, a mother and a daughter, who talk and trill quite a bit with Siamese sounding miaos. They love to run through the house at full speed after everyone goes to bed. Recently I left a small cooked sweet potato on the kitchen counter overnight. The next morning I found it in the living room, with one end torn off, partially eaten, and lots of holes in it. I am sorry I missed seeing that adventure! Did it look like a big mouse, or are they just craving sweet potato?! Please, keep making videos! and of course, recipes. Tonight I am making your Cajun 15 Bean soup, a family favorite.

47 Elly March 6, 2014 at 10:23 am

What a wonderful video, I laughed out loud watching this. I think everyone who has lived with young kitties will recognize this :-)

48 Cadry March 6, 2014 at 10:30 am

Oh, I love it!! What a great video! It’s amazing that Leo & Loki have become such fast friends. So cute!

49 Kristy March 6, 2014 at 1:59 pm

That is just so cute! It is not often you see two get along so well! Great job on the video too! : )

50 Nolebim March 6, 2014 at 7:58 pm

That was brilliant! So much fun. Thanks for sharing.

51 Dina March 7, 2014 at 4:54 am

… Hi Susan … with every child & every animal & every leaf born … God Is Tirelessly Telling us how much He Loves us … i pray that one day the heartless ones will realize Him & treat The Lord’s creatures with the same love & respect … Amen … Susan … we join you in loving Leo & Loki & all God’s souls … thank you for sharing this lovely video with us … i’m still smiling as i’m writing to you … love & peace … God Bless all …

52 Brenz March 7, 2014 at 8:02 am

They are so cute – I loved when Loki scooted under the chest. The music selection was great – “chasing tail”. And loved the reminder at the end to support pet adoption from the animal shelter, which I have done and worked out very well.

53 Sharon Herbitter March 7, 2014 at 11:47 am

Wow — more smiles per minute than anything I’ve seen lately!!! Great way to nudge me along on a Friday!!!

54 Kathleen March 8, 2014 at 8:53 am

Susan,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful, creative video! Fun, fun, fun! Keep up all of your great work.

Kathleen

55 sue March 9, 2014 at 8:58 am

They are so funny together great pair. I bet they sleep well at the end of the day.
God bless you on adoption that’s how I always get all my pets no better feeling
than saving an animal

56 Sharon Tenney March 9, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Just adding another “Wow, what beautiful cats!” I have 2 black cats, and the latest one I just got a couple of months ago — a 3-year-old rescue. My other black cat was depressed when my favorite tortoise shell died about 8 months ago. So, my daughter and I went and found an adorable black cat who was so friendly, we felt we had no choice but to adopt her. It’s nice to have playmates for the others. My Siamese cats have been my favorites in the past, although I no longer have one currently. Glad you took some time off to enjoy and relax with the new kitty! :)

57 Caroline Combs March 12, 2014 at 3:03 am

Loki is so cute! And I love the gentle nature of play that Leo has with him. Play some, groom some. Lol!

58 Thomas April 18, 2014 at 6:35 pm

That white kitten looks like a Siamese or Snowshoe! Either one they are both adorable! That video makes me smile and love cats even more! I actually have a Snowshoe and a street cat and they look exactly like these 2! Thanks for the awesome video!