Are green smoothies “over” yet? I hope not because I’ve been acting like I just discovered them. After a winter of oatmeal with berries, oatmeal with cherries, oatmeal with apples, oatmeal with oatmeal, I’m happy the weather has warmed up and I can drink my breakfast rather than gum it. And I love that I can add kale to the fruit in my blender and have a drink that is still delicious but contains a serving or two of raw leafy greens. And in this case, something extra….
In order for a smoothie to have “staying power” with me–i.e. keep me satisfied until lunch–it has to have a little more protein than fruits and vegetables alone provide. I’m not a fan of processed protein powders, so I’ve started adding a little bit of beans to my smoothies. White beans, to be exact. I’ve found that just a quarter cup makes a smoothie more filling and adds about 5 grams of protein per serving without negatively affecting the taste and texture. Beans and greens have become the basis for some of my new favorite breakfasts!
Kale-Powered Tropical Smoothie
You can cut down on the sugar by substituting an apple for the pineapple, but it won’t be as tropical or as smooth then.
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup great northern beans (or other white beans), cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cubed
- 2 – 3 cups stemmed and chopped kale, packed (about 2-3 ounces)
- 1 frozen banana, cut into several pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds or flax seeds
- stevia or other sweetener, if desired (to taste)
- Place all ingredients into the blender in the order listed. Begin on low speed and increase to highest speed, blending until completely smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s) | Cooking time: 1 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1
Nutrition (per serving): 334 calories, 31 calories from fat, 3.6g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 105.4mg sodium, 1170.7mg potassium, 72.4g carbohydrates, 11.5g fiber, 33.2g sugar, 9.9g protein
This post contains an Amazon affiliate link. When you buy something through my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!