Beet and Quinoa Salad with Maple-Balsamic Reduction

by on May 19, 2014

Beet and Quinoa Salad with Maple-Balsamic Reduction

I’m not sure when beet season is, but recently I was able to find three different types of beets in the local grocery stores: “regular” red beets, golden beets, and lovely chioggia beets. Faced with such a surplus of riches, I did what any beet lover would do–I bought them all. Then I brought them home and roasted them.

If you don’t like beets, try roasting them. Roasting brings out their sweetness and minimizes their “earthy” flavor. Combining them with something sweet, like oranges slices, and something tangy, like vinegar, also enhances beets’ flavor. And why would you want to eat them if you don’t like them? Because just as they are saturated with color, they are saturated with nutrients. They are an excellent source of folate and a very good source of manganese, potassium, and copper. According to whfoods.com, “These colorful root vegetables contain powerful nutrient compounds that help protect against heart disease, birth defects and certain cancers, especially colon cancer.”

Beet and Quinoa Salad with Maple-Balsamic Reduction

Roasted beets are a great addition to any salad–just slice or chop them and add them to any green salad. But I had a craving for quinoa, and I could just imagine the slightly grassy flavor of the quinoa and the sweet earthiness of the beets. To accentuate the sweetness, I added slices of clementines; to add protein and make this a main dish salad, I included my favorite legumes, chickpeas. And I tossed it all with the simplest of dressings, a reduction made from white balsamic vinegar and and a touch of maple syrup.

I’m usually someone who loves strong, spicy flavors, so I didn’t expect to be wowed by this simple combination, but I could not get enough of it. I even made a second batch that I’ve been eating for breakfast. If you love beets, this is a “must try” and if you don’t like beets, how about giving them another chance?

Live, Love, and Enjoy!

Susan

This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products I use. When you buy something through them, I receive a small commission that helps support this site at no cost to you. Thanks for your purchase!

1 Shannon May 19, 2014 at 10:31 am

Oh my gosh, this is just so beautiful! Perfect harmony of fruits and vegetables together. Thanks for sharing!

2 Kary May 19, 2014 at 11:50 am

I think I will try this with grilled beets to keep my kitchen from getting too hot.

3 Werner May 19, 2014 at 12:54 pm

From a devoted beet lover, I will definitely be making this. Fantastic photo!!

4 Kelly Palmer May 19, 2014 at 2:22 pm

This looks amazing! So bright and colourful, I wouldn’t be disappointed to be served this at a restaurant.

5 Karen May 19, 2014 at 2:42 pm

OMG this looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it. I’m a beet lover anyway and I’m always looking for good cooked recipes that taste good cold. I take my lunch with me and in the summer I like eating cooler foods but want more than just “raw”. If I had beets now, I would make it today!

6 Karen May 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Dont forget the chickpeas! They arent in the instructions even though they are in the ingredients list and the whole story before that. And, of course, i see them in the photos.

7 Karen May 29, 2014 at 10:24 am

OK, I’ve made this twice now and it’s definitely a hit. I love this as a hearty but refreshing summer salad. I had to substitute navel oranges instead of the clementines, but it’s still to die for.

8 Vicki@ Vee's Easy Vegan May 19, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Wow, the colors are AMAZING. Beets are such a cleansing food, great for detoxing. I also use them as color ( instead of the artificial kind) in many things.

Lovely!

9 Kate May 19, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Can’t wait for beets from my CSA now!!!

10 moonwatcher May 20, 2014 at 1:38 am

This looks beautiful and sounds great! Chioggias are my favorite beets and the balsamic reduction sounds really good too. Wonderful photo!

xoxo

11 sylvia May 20, 2014 at 9:48 am

wow! this is absolutely beautiful. definitely a summer must try

12 Lida May 22, 2014 at 5:04 am

Hi Susan! This looks amazing, I’m a beet and chickpea lover! Thank you for your blog and your colourful suggestions! I am neither a vegan nor vegetarian! I simply don’t like red meat, I am also on the” 5-2 diet ” so your blog helps me a lot! I love making them!
Thanks again!

13 caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm

what a stunning dish! looks lovely and super delicious!

14 Heidi May 25, 2014 at 5:58 pm

While making this was a bit of a production, it was well worth it. I did not have green onions (nor do I like raw onions), so I substituted chives. Other than that, I followed Susan’s directions and was not disappointed. I have never cooked beets before and managed to find fresh mandarin oranges, which were both delicious.

15 Texas Ann May 27, 2014 at 9:26 am

Wow! This was easy and great. Love the sweetness of the dressing. Only thing I changed was I used ‘love beets’ infused with ginger.

16 Rachel May 28, 2014 at 1:01 am

I made this dish this weekend and man, was it a crowd pleaser! Not only is it delicious I got a crowd of “oohhhs and ahhhs” in the office lunchroom!

Oh, also, I froze the leftovers, and it heats up very well.

thanks for this!

17 sukydee May 30, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Susan, I rarely leave comments, but I can’t contain myself! This salad is incredible! I cut the recipe in half because I’m the only one eating it…now I wish I had made the whole recipe….I could eat it all week!

18 Millie l Add A Little May 31, 2014 at 1:43 am

Looks delicious!! I absolutely love beets and adding citrus just gives it that extra zing!

19 East Meets West Veg June 2, 2014 at 10:14 pm

The beets give the salad such a beautiful color. I love strong, spicy flavors too, but sometimes simple combinations can really knock my socks off too. Those are the ones that are always such a beautiful surprise!

20 Carrie June 9, 2014 at 6:37 am

Tasty salad that a group of friends enjoyed. I did add more maple syrup to the reduction for more flavor. The only thing I found is that all ingredients turned red so it’s not as pretty as the picture.

21 Susan Voisin June 9, 2014 at 6:54 am

I’m glad your friends enjoyed it. The secret to not having it all turn red is to use red beets for only part of the beets. I used 1/3 golden beets and 1/3 chioggia (pink) beets, so the color wasn’t so intense.

22 vegana June 9, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Beautiful dish … I want to do :D Congratulations.

23 Larissa June 19, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Fantastic recipe!! It took me a long time to prep and make this dish, but it was well worth it. I used golden beets, so the salad has a beautiful yellow-orange color to it. I am eating it now- warm because I couldn’t wait for it to chill! Thank you, Susan for another delicious recipe!

24 Estelle July 7, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Susan! I started making this salad a few days ago – roasted the beets and cooked the quinoa and made the dressing and decided – today is the day to put it together. And what a beautiful, tasty recipe this turned out to be! I just love the flavors and even though it is winter and very cold in New Zealand at the moment, I can’t stop eating this lovely this salad!

25 Susan Hurley July 8, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Susan, Thank you so much for these recipes … it’s so hard to find recipes w/o added oil. I love this recipe, and thought I might introduce you to a maple-syrup substitute that’s so much healthier. It’s called SunRoot from the Jerusalem Artichoke root, and it’s yummy … tastes like maple syrup without all of the sugar (low on the glycemic index), yet the same consistency. I’ve been substituting it for maple syrup in my recipes for awhile. It can be found on http://www.OmicaOrganics.com. I hope you find it’s as awesome as I have. My intention isn’t to “advertise” on your blog, so if you don’t post this, that’s cool. I was just thinking you might like to try the SunRoot. Susan