Homemade Veggie Dogs

by on July 7, 2014

Homemade Veggie Dogs

Af few weeks ago, my family had a craving for hot dogs, and having heard so much about Field Roast Frankfurters*, I decided to give them a try. When I found them in the store and took a look at the package, it took a few minutes to get over my sticker shock, not at the price but at the nutritional stats. Each hot dog clocked in at 180 calories and 8 grams of fat. The ingredients list included “expeller pressed safflower oil” and “organic expeller pressed palm fruit oil,” ingredients I normally try to avoid. Still, I had promised my family gourmet hot dogs and I figured I could practice self-discipline and eat just one, so I bought them and brought them home. Huge mistake! Not because they were bad but because they were so freaking good that my vow to eat only one vanished after one bite, and the only thing saving me from complete gluttony was the fact that there were only 6 frankfurters in the package.

I’d like to say that I’ll never buy them again, but Field Roast dogs basically ruined my family for other packaged hot dogs. More like a sausage than other veggie dogs, they had a great flavor as well as texture. Fortunately, we don’t eat hot dogs or other packaged food often, so it’s not that big of a temptation, but I have to say that I’ve been practically haunted by the memory of them ever since we had them. And then I realized that I didn’t have to give in to temptation or give up on hot dogs–I could make them myself.

Homemade Veggie Dogs

So I decided to make my own hot dogs for our 4th of July cookout. I started with my Italian Sausage recipe and added onion and seasonings such as coriander and mace to make them more “frankfurtery.” And instead of all the oil in those packaged dogs, I used pinto beans, with flax and rolled oats to absorb moisture and keep them tender.

They were a huge hit with my family. My daughter, who has grown cautious with my cooking experiments, said she forgot that they were homemade until she was halfway through her first dog and then marveled several times at how good they were. And I had a hard time keeping my husband from eating them all before I could take photos.

They definitely lived up to my memory of the Field Roast version, even with about 40% fewer calories and 83% less fat. They’re soy-free (if you use coconut aminos), low in sodium, and added sugar-free. I wish I could say they were gluten-free for my gluten-free readers, but as someone who has no trouble with gluten, I like to indulge now and then. If you’re up for experimenting, you could probably take my Beany Breakfast Sausages, change the seasoning, and shape them to fit a gluten-free hot dog bun.

Homemade Veggie Hot Dog

Happy eating!

Susan

*I have no affiliation with Field Roast or its Frankfurters.

1 April July 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! My husband was just asking for a homemade “veggie dog” recipe. I couldn’t think of one that was “sausage” instead! I can’t wait to try these!

2 moonwatcher July 7, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Wow! They’re beautiful! Alas, if only they were gluten-free. . .however, I will taste them vicariously through the raving comments I know will follow. Bravo, and congrats! You’ve done it again, Susan!

xoxo

3 Teresa Kato July 12, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I wonder if Orgran’s Gluten Substitute could be used to replace the vital wheat gluten? Susan, any thoughts about this? I know it works well in baked goods. Just not sure what the substitution ratio might be for this recipe.

4 Susan Voisin July 13, 2014 at 7:19 am

Teresa, I’ve never used Orgran’s, so I don’t know. It might work best in conjunction with another gluten free flour, like chickpea flour.

5 Maija Haavisto July 25, 2014 at 10:03 am

Sounds good to me! So far my favorite veg sausage is Isa Chandra’s cherry sage sausages – I don’t think I’ve ever had a decent store-bought one – but this one I’ll have to try. Though probably with some other bean – I never buy pintos because I don’t like them.

6 Janne Swearengen July 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Susan, I’m so glad to see your response to the Field Roast nutritional information. I nearly fainted as we a pretty OCD about calories, sodium and fat intake. It frustrates the crap out of me for cookbooks to omit that information OR give that information but not tell you the serving size. In any event, I will definitely try these.

7 Lisa P. July 7, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Thanks so much for posting this, my kids are going camping next week-end and I wasn’t looking forward to spending a fortune on Field Roast franks. Can’t wait to make these!

8 Sue Bair July 7, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I love you! I can’t wait to try this!!!

9 Chana July 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm

This looks so good! I’m so excited to try it!!

10 sharron sussman July 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I haven’t had good luck with my comments over the past 4 years so maybe I am doing something wrong – but your DIY hot dog recipe (which looks like something to try out) reminded me of the weirdest vegan recipe I have gathered (tho this one not yet tried…)

It’s a method for making a CARROT imitate a hot dog. Sounds almost feasible. I can dig it up (so to speak) and send it along if you like. Just tell me how to get it to you. Even more intriguing than the vegan haggis recipe…!

Thanks for so many ideas & recipes, Susan. You are a mainstay of my vegan cooking experience, one of the best parts, for me, of being vegan.

11 Danielle July 7, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Haha, I’ve heard of that one as well! I want to try it.

12 Deb July 7, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I tried the carrot as a hot dog and it did not work for me! But I can’t wait to try this one!

13 Emily August 28, 2014 at 9:43 am

I’ve done carrot dogs a number of times and my husband and I love them! After we make them (cooking the carrots in the vinegar solution, no pre-marinating) we then grill them. The grilling step adds a very nice bit of caramelization to the outside that goes beautifully with the smokiness from smoked paprika. I know they sound strange but they’re awesome! You’ll never think you’re eating a hot dog, but these completely satisfy my hot dog cravings.

14 Tom July 7, 2014 at 1:49 pm

And the winner for ONE OF THE MOST CREATIVE WFPB CHEF’s GOES TO………..

Susan Voisin.

This is fantastic. Just plain FUN!! THANK YOU. You have such a gift and ARE SUCH A GIFT TO ALL OF US, the animals and THIS PLANET!!!!

Appreciation. Respect!

15 Danielle July 7, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Thanks for this recipe, Susan! I’m going to try it ASAP.

I appreciate all you do to create and make these recipes available to us.

16 nlh110 July 7, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Great timing! The sourdough just came out of the oven, and I have three versions of veggie dogs and sausages ready for the steamer. Since we are searching for our ‘go-to’ recipe and I have 90% success rate with your concoctions I am going to add this to the mix. Usually if E gives the stamp of approval, it is a hit with me too.

17 Kristin July 7, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I’ve been waiting my whole vegan life for this recipe. I just KNEW you would come up with the perfect vegan dog once you put your mind to it. I didn’t want to beg (or even ask, really, ’cause I know you probably get pelted with requests for this thing and that thing day-in and day-out). My patience and faith have paid off! :-) I shall be making these as soon as I manage to get my hands on some mace.

18 Dianna July 7, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I am excited to try this recipe. I love your veggaroni and just about everything else that I have tried on your site. Thanks!

19 Lesli July 7, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Susan:

Thanks for this, and can’t wait to test this recipe on my hubby!

Being in Seattle, we do love the Field Roast products, but as you noted, eat them in moderation due to the amount of oil and other ingredients we are trying to avoid. I have made your BBQ black eye pea burgers many times, and we adore those, so I am sure this recipe will be great. Now, I have a challenge for you….come up with a chorizo version….the Field Roast ones are totally awesome, but it know you can get there better!!

Thanks for the awesome site!

20 Sunshine99 July 8, 2014 at 12:16 am

Hi, I love the red chorizo-like tofu sausage from Deborah Madison in her book, “This Can’t Be Tofu!” The recipe is called “Spicy Red Sausage.” I just omit the tablespoon of oil it calls for. This sausage is crumbly and very hot and spicy.

21 Judy July 7, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I just received the recipe and made them immediately. Fresh bun, stone ground mustard and the veggie dog! They are excellent, tastes just like a very good hot dog. My husband saw me eating this and asked for a bite…loved it ( he is partially plant based). Susan, another hit in our book for sure. Judy

22 Jill July 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm

So cool! I’ve always liked hotdogs more than burgers, but didn’t know I could make my own veg version!

23 Susan Sasek July 7, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Thank you! I had the same shock reading the label of the Field Roast dogs-and the same nirvana when I ate them. We avoid oil and especially palm oil due to the deforestation issue. Can not wait to try these!

24 Brenda July 7, 2014 at 4:39 pm

These look great. Do you think they could be steamed in my InstantPot? If so for how long?

25 Renard Moreau July 7, 2014 at 4:51 pm

[ Smiles ] A most satisfying vegan recipe.

26 Marta@What should I eat for breakfast today July 7, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Healthy version of hot dogs- you’re a saver! <3

27 Tami@nutmegnotebook July 7, 2014 at 6:09 pm

These look amazing! We are big fans of the flavor of Fieldroast products but not the fat content. Thank you for this recipe look forward to trying it.

28 Miss Polkadot July 7, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Wow, these sound awesome, Susan. Unfortunately, we can’t find pinto beans over here. Do you think I could sub kidney beans?

29 Susan Voisin July 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Kidney beans will work just fine. Hope you enjoy them!

30 Bryan July 7, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Great Story! Thanks for sharing I might have to check them out a see if they are available at Whole Foods.

On a caution note, be careful of the bread buns that you use and check the label and make sure they do not contain, “azodicarbonamide, or azobisformamide” which is used in MANY store-brand and name-brand buns. This product has been banned in Europe, but America (FDA) still allows this product in bread by American grocery stores and fast-food chains.

This product is found in yoga mats and tennis shoes, but works as a great emulsifier in bread and the FDA allows it….go figure right!

That’s been 1 of my main draw-backs in having a good ole American-tasting all-natural hot dog or hamburger these days. TY.

31 Brittany July 7, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I was never a fan of actual hot dogs, but veggie dogs are just so delicious! I will have to try your recipe! Does the soy sauce stand out in this recipe? If so, do you think it would work with a little less? I’m not the biggest soy sauce fan!

–soulalien.blogspot.com

32 Susan Voisin July 7, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Brittany, the soy sauce provides the salt and umami–the background flavor. It doesn’t stand out at all but it contributes a lot to the overall deliciousness.

33 Laura July 7, 2014 at 9:34 pm

So excited to try these, I think w/ the 4th carrot dogs and such have been all the rage and one of the things I do miss is hot dogs–probably one of the only things I miss so really look forward to making these. Thanks for sharing.

34 Millie l Add A Little July 8, 2014 at 1:29 am

Mmm this looks absolutely delicious! Definitely want to try this out!

35 Jojo July 8, 2014 at 7:21 am

Thanks for the recipe Susan. I love Field Roast dogs but we can’t get them over here so I’m definitely going to try your recipe this summer.

36 Carrie July 8, 2014 at 8:15 am

Susan, I have SO been waiting for a good homemade veggie dog recipe! This looks great! How long do they last in the refrigerator? Have you tried freezing them? I make vegan sausage with a similar recipe and freeze them. The only difference is I steam them for just 30 minutes because even slow thawing/heating in the microwave tends to dry them out.

Thank you so much for all the amazing recipes you share. You are (seriously!) my favorite vegan cook, have been making your recipes for years!

37 Susan Voisin July 8, 2014 at 9:07 am

Thanks so much for your kind words, Carrie! I think these would keep for at least a week or two in the fridge and would freeze well. I haven’t tried steaming them for less time, but I’ll bet you could. If you wrap them in parchment paper instead of foil, they do come out a tad moister, if that’s a concern.

38 Carrie July 18, 2014 at 6:51 am

I made the hotdogs yesterday. WOW, they are delicious! My husband loves them too! We’ll be having them again tonight. The remainder may end up in the freezer but they might not last that long – ha! Thank you again, Susan!

39 HappyForks - diet analysis tool July 8, 2014 at 8:51 am

Love your option for veggie dogs! Sausages for vegan which we can find in shops often contain preservatives or artificial coloring. You give us folate, vitamin B1 and B2 bomb!

40 Sharen Sammons July 8, 2014 at 10:42 am

OMG – these look wonderful. I have been craving a non-carrot vegan hot dog for some time. Nothing against carrot dogs (I love carrots) but the recipes that I have tried have been too salty. I will have to make these SOON.

Thanks Susan.

41 Janet July 8, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Hi Susan, Although I have not yet tried this myself, I’d like to experiment with this gluten substitute product I have read good reviews about. Perhaps some of your GF readers would, too. Check it out at Amazon.

42 chris July 8, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I have never had, or seen, vital wheat gluten. Is it what they call Seitan?

43 Susan Voisin July 8, 2014 at 4:57 pm

When it’s cooked, it’s called seitan.

44 Cherie July 8, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Saving the world, one veggie hot dog recipe at a time!

45 Tony July 8, 2014 at 9:36 pm

This new veggie dog recipe sounds wonderful. I have been a fan of your website and recipes for a year now. Finally I am writing to say thank you!
I would also ke to share the following with you. Last year at this time I was diagnosed with coronary heart disease. A huge shock for me since I have always been watchful of what I eat except I ate fish, shellfish and meat three or four times a week my entire life. Also I have always been a very active person who loves days at the gym, yoga, hiking and biking.
Anyway, that visit to my doctor and diagnosis was prompted as a result of hike I was on with a hiking group with folks five to ten years my senior. I was gasping for air and could not keep up and it scared the heck out of me.
Since I have never been one to favor taking prescription medications, this time I chose to handle my diagnosis with diet not pills. With encouragement from my cardiologist I began following the Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn diet. It was a very painful and difficult change to make but I persevered and after four months I became very comfortable with it. I actually prefer it now, months later.
I am a foodie and love to cook I began exploring on line recipes that fit within the Esselstyn new dietary guidelines; NO OILS – FATS – DAIRY – FISH OR MEATS! I have found so many wonderful recipes on your website. Thank you for being there and letting me realize that I am not alone.
Of course close friends and family think I am totally nuts and believe I should take medications and eat everything. I strongly disagree.
My recent blood work proves I am doing the right thing. At 70 I can now hike uphill again without getting out of breath, dropped 20 lbs., I’m a trim 31″ waist, my skin looks great and I am told I look far younger than I am by ten years.
I will continue to use your recipes and as you have shared here, I also experiment with many traditional recipes and alter them. I can’t wait to try this veggie dog recipe.
Tony

46 Susan Voisin July 8, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Tony, this is fantastic news! Congratulations and keep up the good work!

47 Patty July 11, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I’ve been following your blog for about 6 months. My husband has the same story as Tony, above. At almost 73, and after 5 stents, he flunked his stress test. His doctor wanted to do another stent. He asked them to wait 90 days for him to change his lifestyle. They agreed. He (and I, as his cook) , opted for the Esselstyn Whole Foods/Plant Based, regimen and along with many recipes from you we have experienced wonderful results. We both are 30 pounds lighter, have significantly better numbers in Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Triglycerides, HDL/LDL, and Blood Glucose. We have reduced our medications in all areas by half or more. Thank you for making it easier to eat foods we like without giving up the healthy results! I will continue to follow your blog for more good and healthy recipes!! Thanks again!

48 Danielle July 9, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Thanks for sharing this with everyone, Tony! I love hearing about the ways in which this way of eating helps people. I also had some health issues clear up by changing from a vegetarian to a vegan, whole foods-no oil (McDougall) diet. Now I couldn’t imagine going back!

Way to go healing yourself!!!

49 JCJ July 9, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Thank you for this. I LOVE those Field Roast franks — and all of the other FR sausages — but hate the information on the nutritional label (not to mention the price). I’ve been tempted but have never tried to make my own vegan sausages — too intimidating!! — but the promise of a FR clone is enough to make me give it a try. I’m experimenting this weekend.

50 Patty July 9, 2014 at 2:47 pm

These Homemade Veggie Dogs sound delicious! Since Coriander and Cilantro are the same thing, would it be okay to use dried Cilantro leaves instead of ground Coriander? Also, about Hickory smoked salt. I cannot find it in my stores. Would a drop of Liquid Smoke create the same flavor? And, last, Mace. Could it be omitted? This is the only recipe I have that calls for Mace.
Thanks for your wonderful blog and great recipes!!!

51 Susan Voisin July 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Coriander is the dried seed of the cilantro plant, but it tastes nothing like cilantro so I wouldn’t suggest substituting dried cilantro leaves for it. Liquid smoke is a good substitute for the hickory salt, and you can leave out the mace if you have to (or maybe replace it with nutmeg?)

52 Patty July 11, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Thank you. I’m not going to mess with success! – so I will order Coriander, mace, and also the hickory smoked salt online, if I can find it.

53 Cindy July 9, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Susan…these dogs are amazing! I too, fell in love with Field Roast products. I haven’t tried their Frankfurters yet, but I’ve tasted everything else. However, like you, I’ve want to cut down on the fat. I’ve tried several other recipes, but the texture always fell short. Your dog recipe has the texture just right. Personally, I would add more garlic, some cayenne and maybe even a little horseradish in next time…but, I like things spicy. That’s an easy tailor-made fix. Tonight, I’m serving these with some home made sauerkraut and your recipe for Low Fat German Potato Salad. Yum! Thanks!
~ C

54 Susan July 10, 2014 at 12:44 am

Hi Susan.
I made these last night for dinner and they are ever so tasty.
They were time consuming,so next time I’m will triple the recipe and freeze the leftovers. I wrapped in parchment paper and also wrapped two in parchment and foil and found no difference in the end product.
I Popped one in the freezer last night and we ate them again tonight for dinner…freezing does not affect the taste. My omnivore hubby said “not bad”…I could eat these”.
Thanks for yet another keeper recipe.

55 Susan Voisin July 10, 2014 at 7:13 am

I’m so glad to hear that! As for parchment paper, the only difference I found was that I got prettier twisted ends from foil than with parchment, but there was no difference in texture or taste.

56 Nolebim July 10, 2014 at 12:45 pm

These are brilliant! Perfect timing for the summer grill! :-)

57 Kris July 10, 2014 at 2:16 pm

We absolutely love the Field Roast Frankfurters too. In order to cut down on the calories, my husband came up with the brilliant idea of splitting each hot dog in half lengthwise before cooking.

58 Emily July 10, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Susan – I have been following your blog for months and now my 64-year-old mother is posting recipes from your site all over her Facebook page! Thanks for making healthy eating so delicious!
I made these today and the flavor is great! I doubled the recipe and steamed them for about an hour (they were pretty soft still after 45 minutes) and they are still a bit moist and mushy… can you think of any way to firm them up a bit?

Thanks!

59 Susan Voisin July 10, 2014 at 8:39 pm

That is so great to hear about your mother! As for the dogs being too soft, try using less water next time. Something is making them too moist. Also, be sure to let them cool before unwrapping them.

60 Diane July 10, 2014 at 7:04 pm

Made these today. Great recipe. They really taste like hotdogs (though I haven’t had one in years.). Thank you for consistently offering fabulous recipes. I love that most of your recipes are oil free and you never skimp on flavor.

61 Susan July 11, 2014 at 12:23 pm

These were delicious! We have missed hotdogs since becoming plant-based dieters since February 2014. Your recipe was so easy. Even my daughter loved them and ate 2 of them. I will definitely be preparing these again. Question: Have you tried freezing them? It would really make life easier if this could be done. Also, have you ever tried a mock crab cake? Whole Food has an awesome one but they are like $3.99 each which is expensive. I’ve tried about 3 different recipes but haven’t found one I love yet. Thanks for sharing!….Susan B

62 Susan Voisin July 11, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Hi Susan, these should freeze just fine. Just cook them first and wrap up tightly.

I have a few crab cake recipes that use different ingredients. Check out the first 3 recipes on this search page: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/search-results?cx=012919865523296602436%3A6iar-mkyfwa&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=Crab&sa=Search&siteurl=blog.fatfreevegan.com%2F2007%2F07%2Fbruschetta-with-roasted-baby-tomatoes.html&ref=&ss=1198j540468j4

63 Carmen July 13, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I doubled your recipe and put my extras in the freezer. I discovered that my homemade vegan sausage turns out chewier (and better) after I freeze them. I’m hoping the same will happen here, as I prefer the chewier texture. Thanks again for the great recipe.

64 Mindy July 11, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Made these tonight. I had everything on hand except for the mace. The entire family loved them. The texture was great! Thanks for another wonderful recipe :)

65 Bobbi Dwyer July 12, 2014 at 5:59 am

Susan,
Read your blog to my husband and we both Totally understand about Field Roast hot dogs! They are so good that we keep them frozen and only cook 2 at a time.
I will happily try your recipe. Your picky daughter gives me hope that my picky husband will be as satisfied.
Thanks!
Bobbi

66 Jena July 13, 2014 at 7:11 am

These were great! We loved them!

67 Christine (The Raw Project) July 13, 2014 at 10:22 am

These look great, my hubby would loves these too. Thanks!

68 Carmen July 13, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Excellent recipe, as usual. I found your site more than 7 years ago when my 10 year old daughter declared that she was never going to eat meat again. My younger daughter and I soon followed her lead. Your recipes always turn out wonderfully. Thank you!

69 Patricia July 13, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Dogs look good but those are really the wrong potatoes to eat with hot dogs!

Any chance you will put together time tables, i.e. how to get everything coordinated for a traditional feast? Or have I just not found it on your site? I would love to have multiple vegan dishes ready to go for a big family celebration but can’t get the hang of the timing…

ps: where were you raised? by hippies or did you just fall further from the tree?

70 Conz July 14, 2014 at 3:04 am

These were right nice, and got the approval of two Omni friends. Much better tasting than the toxic packaged veggie hot dogs!

71 Blaine July 14, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Hi. I have been reading your posts a long time and never commented. I am really intrigued by these. Very amazing. I eat plant based and I never love to do the processed vegan meats and cheeses but sometimes I do. Did you have trial and error or first time was the charm? I need to make these.

72 Lesli July 14, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Susan:

First, let me say, I have done a lot of looking for vegan recipes, and yours by far are my go-to ones each time I am looking for trying something new. The veggie dogs are no exception…tho I think I might need some new spices as mine came out a tad bland and still a little wheaty tasting even after the hour steaming.

Regardless, you are a goddess! I started down the vegan path after my January checkup which showed my lipids and cholesterol levels still way too high, even though we felt we ate healthy by excluding red meat and processed foods. So, after research, I went plant based whole food in February, and my hubby joined in in March. I have lost 28lbs, he 39, we feel like we have more energy than ever, and are loving the new foods we are cooking thanks to your wonderful recipes. My lipids decreased nearly 10% after only two months! and still going down. We are walking, hiking, biking and my husband says his knee, which was replaced last year, feels better than it ever did before. Plant based, low fat is the best recipe for wellness, and the easiest …..zero side effects, and no hardship!!

I continue to sing your praises to everyone, and thank you for all the incredibly delicious recipes!!

Lesli

73 Steven Little July 15, 2014 at 3:33 pm

These were FANTASTIC! More like a really good sausage, flavor-wise, than a hot dog (and that is fine by me)!

I made sour dough rolls to go with.

74 Carol July 15, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Susan: This is a wonderful recipe! My husband, who doesn’t even like hot dogs, says these veggie dogs are “pretty darn good.” BTW, I substituted nutmeg for the mace and it worked great. Thanks so much for sharing your creative efforts with us!

75 Susan July 15, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Made these again yesterday, using kidney beans instead of pinto beans.
Also doubled the recipe and made them “smokie size,double wrapped them in Parchment and Foil….I agree, they shape better when wrapped in the foil as well as parchment( I worry about having aluminum near my food).
Omnivore hubby said he wanted some tonight for dinner(((SMILE!) (Wink Wink)
Great recipe as well…I too am waiting for a gluten alternative to try out for my sister in law.
Susan.

76 Carol July 16, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Once again, thanks for all your experimentation. You asked about a gluten-free version. They are in steaming now, but I substituted the 1 cup of vital wheat gluten with 3/4 cup garbanzo bean flour and 1/4 cup gluten substitute from “ORGRAN”. It’s called “GfG” for gluten-free-gluten, is a bit pricey, but it seems to work. If they don’t turn out that great and I need to tweak it, I will leave another comment. If I don’t, assume they are great.

77 Ryan July 16, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Susan, do you use vital wheat gluten flour, or just wheat gluten? Is there a brand you can suggest? Does this Bob’s Red Mill one work and do you need to hydrate it first? http://www.bobsredmill.com/vital-wheat-gluten.html

78 nancy July 17, 2014 at 7:36 am

total admiration for you Susan xoxoxoxoxo

79 deb July 20, 2014 at 3:15 pm

these were really fabulous. Now I want to play with the spicing and see what other flavours I can come up with.

Do you think I can just freeze them in their tin foil pouches inside a plastic bag?

Thanks for a great recipe.

80 Susan Voisin July 20, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I’m glad you liked them! Yes, that’s a great way to freeze them.

81 nessa July 20, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if it is okay to omit the nutritional yeast in this recipe?

82 Susan Voisin July 20, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Sure. It just adds a little flavor.

83 Howard Roy Harris July 20, 2014 at 6:17 pm

I thought it was very easy to make and it was very good. thank you

84 Vanessa @ VeganFamilyRecipes July 21, 2014 at 8:53 am

How great are these? My kids will go crazy for these! Thanks Susan for another brilliant recipe :D

85 Carolyn July 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Your word is good enough for me, Susan! I bought Field Roast franks once and they were very good, but for the price I thought I would be just as happy with their cheaper brethren. I’ve been making veggie sausages for years, so why not franks? To the kitchen I go!

86 Corrin Radd July 23, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Made these for dinner. Great texture.

87 Laura S. July 24, 2014 at 4:57 am

I think that this is a great recipe for the people who want to start eating less meat in general. I had a big problem convincing my husband and son into doing us, until I started to prepare this healthier variations of junk food for our Meatless Mondays. Despite initial male resistance, I was able to finally conquer their taste, and we decided another day without meat. I appreciate your recipe and will try to prepare it for them for the next time.

88 Werner July 24, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Yes! Great vegan hot dogs, absolutely captured the taste. You never cease to amaze me-so many blogs these days but I always default to you. The best, thanks!!

89 Susan July 26, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Enjoyed this recipe, even though I made a big mess in the kitchen preparing it. Can these veggie dogs be frozen?

90 Susan Voisin July 26, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Yes, just wrap each one tightly in plastic wrap.

91 Esther J July 30, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Susan, you’re such a rockstar! These are delicious! (and just as well-formed as yours; I thought no way would that happen.) No more store-bought veggie dogs for me. I am sold!

To complement them, I made your coleslaw and your baked beans. A perfect summertime meal.

I bow down to your greatness. ;) :)

92 vegetablej August 7, 2014 at 8:28 am

These look great and as my mom, who I care for, is addicted to the regular kind, with all kinds of unhealthy stuff in them, I want to try them. We are gluten-free, so I’ll try them with substitutions. I found this link with a few alternatives for vital wheat gluten that might be of interest to others. I’ll try out some of them out and if any are really good, I’ll let you know. :)

93 Carol Bradstreet August 10, 2014 at 9:51 am

I noticed that many people have said they didn’t care for the kale chips recipe. One important thing about kale is that you need to cut out the thick stem that runs down the middle of the leaf. That is where the bitterness comes from.

With the roasted chickpeas snack, try sprinkling on some Indian chaat spice mix. It is available in ethnic grocery stores, or in larger grocers in the international food aisle. You’ll never go back once you try this! It comes in a small cardboard box, and is relatively cheap as far as spice mixes go.

94 VeganOre August 14, 2014 at 4:04 pm

These are outstanding! They have a great taste and look fantastic. What a great recipe – thanks so much!

95 VeggieCook August 16, 2014 at 11:34 am

Good! I’ll increase the spices next time. I cooked them in a steamer and didn’t need any foil while they steamed.

96 Jennifer August 19, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Love the idea of making your own. I am the only one in my house who is not a meat eater though and I was wondering if you have ever made a batch of these and put them in the freezer? Cooked or uncooked? I would love to freeze some and then when our family goes for summer pool-time fun at my dads I can have my own faux dogs. What do you think?

97 Susan Voisin August 19, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Freeze them after they’re cooked and then thaw and reheat gently later.

98 Amanda August 20, 2014 at 8:40 am

I don’t have a steamer. Any suggestions?

99 Laura August 20, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Think I need glasses. LOL
I made these today using canned pinto beans and should have taken the time to cook dry ones instead.
Well they were edible but I’m sure they’ll be 100 times better with the dry beans.

100 Anastasia Crisis August 21, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Hi there Susan,

I’ve been following your blog for years, and I love your inspirational recipes! The kale & chickpea curry is by far a favourite in our kitchen.

I produce a vegan ‘foodcast’ (food podcast with musical interludes) – and perhaps great minds think alike because as part of our latest installment we share a ‘not’ dog recipe as well.

It took many trial-and-error hours in the kitchen, but we’ve come up with a gluten-free recipe that does the trick (the first dozen of batches were more of a ‘hot-dog pate’, so to say)

Either way, if you have a minute, have a look and listen to our little production: http://singingwithmymouthfull.tumblr.com/post/93454718176/singing-with-my-mouth-full-010-bbq-dogz-kraut

I hope you enjoy it :)

101 zyra August 23, 2014 at 2:02 pm

thanks for this recipe… i love love it… Do you think if i grain all the ingredients will be okay!