You’ve been so virtuous and faithful. Sure, your eyes have wandered and you’ve had a few impure thoughts, but you made a commitment and plan to stick to it. Yet, there’s only so much temptation a person can take . . . .
Well, give in to the temptation and stay true–to your healthy diet! This Valentine’s Day, indulge your craving for chocolate without straying from your commitment to a low-fat, vegan way of eating. You will be amazed at how moist, rich, and delicious a low-fat brownie can be.
Fatfree and Fabulous Fudgy Brownies
These brownies are actually better the second day…if you can make them last two days! They are about as fudgy as it gets without added oils or chocolate chips, so you can indulge your sweet tooth without worry.
- 1/2 tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1-1/2 tbsp. hot water
- 3/4 cup lite silken tofu (firm), crumbled
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour or cake flour
- 1 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional–depending on how nutty you like your brownies)
- Mix the ground flax seeds with 1- 1/2 tablespoons of hot water and set aside. (Mixture will thicken slightly.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mist an 8-inch x 8-inch x 2-inch glass baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Blend the tofu, water, maple syrup, cocoa powder, flax mixture, and vanilla extract until completely smooth. (I use a hand-blender, but you can do this in a regular blender.)
- Place the remaining ingredients, except the walnuts, in a medium mixing bowl and stir them together until they are well combined. Pour the blended mixture into the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl, and stir them until they are just combined–try not to over-stir. Fold in the walnuts, if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Completely cool the brownies in the pan. Cut and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s) | Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
The nutritional breakdown, based on 12 brownies:
Nutrition (per serving without walnuts): 163 calories, 9 calories from fat, 1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 75.4mg sodium, 124.5mg potassium, 37.7g carbohydrates, 2.2g fiber, 24.9g sugar, 3.3g protein, 2.9 points.
Nutrition (per serving, with walnuts): 179 calories, 22 calories from fat, 2.6g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 75.5mg sodium, 135.2mg potassium, 38g carbohydrates, 2.3g fiber, 25g sugar, 3.7g protein, 3.3 points.
608 596 8 73