I’ve been taking a break from cooking for the past few days. On Friday I made my favorite lasagna, but after that, I didn’t cook one thing, unless you count steamed vegetables, until Monday night. With my husband out of town, my daughter and I happily dined on leftovers and take-out from the local natural food store. I think I needed a little cooking break.
But last night I got back into the swing of things with an easy meal that all three of us enjoyed. I put a batch of Spiced Lentils and Rice into the rice cooker, and while it was cooking, I prepared a salad and a dip for pita bread. We have hummus so often that I thought we were due for a change, and this version of Ful Medames, a delicious dip made of cooked fava beans, really hit the spot.
Unlike hummus, this fava bean dip has no tahini, making it much lower in fat. Enjoy!
Ful Medames (Fava Bean Dip)
Similar to hummus, Ful Medames is a Middle Eastern dip made from fava beans. This version is low in fat and naturally vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans fava beans (or 3 cups cooked and shelled fava beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or red chili pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup parsley
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a large, non-stick skillet for about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for another 4 minutes. Stir in the fava beans, cumin, and red pepper, and cook on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mash the fava beans lightly, right in the skillet, until most of the beans are mashed. Scoop into a serving bowl, and mix in the lemon juice and parsley. Serve with warm pita bread.
Look for canned fava beans in Middle Eastern grocery stores. Some common spellings are ful medames, foul moudammes, foul mudammes, and foul moudammas.
Sodium content depends on fava beans used.
More Middle Eastern Recipes
Here are a few more recipes to enjoy with your Ful Medames:
- Baba Ganoush
- White Bean Salad with Zaatar
- Iraqi-Inspired Seitan and Eggplant Stew
- Spiced Rice and Lentil Squares
450 1.4K 20 426