Every year around the holidays, I like to post a recipe (or two) that’s a little higher in fat than my normal fare. Last year it was Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake and the year before it was Eggnog Cheesecake.
This year I’m departing from the cheesecake theme to bring you a treat that’s higher in fat than most of my desserts yet still contains no processed oils or margarine. Peanut butter provides the flavor in these cookies, but it also provides the fat that makes their texture much more like “regular” cookies than low-fat cookies. Mashed banana substitutes for margarine and imparts a distinctive flavor–and natural sweetness–of its own.
The result is a cookie that’s slightly crisp on the outside, moist and tender on the inside. Throw in the optional chocolate chips and you have a healthier treat that’s good enough to serve at your next holiday party; don’t mention they’re low-fat, and no one will guess!
E loved these cookies, both with and without chocolate chips, and gave them 5 out of 5 crumbs on her new rating scale. They’re especially delicious served with soy nog or Pumpkin Spice Silk.
Lower-Fat Peanut Butter Banana Cookies
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter chunky or smooth
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 3/4 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 375. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Cream together the peanut butter and sugars. Add the mashed banana and mix until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the peanut butter a little at a time until totally absorbed. Add the chocolate chips, if desired, and mix until well-blended, but do not over-mix.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto prepared pans, about 2 inches apart. Flatten with a fork dipped in water. (These cookies will not spread as they cook, so the shape they’re in when they come out of the oven will be about the same as when they went in.) Bake for about 10 minutes, until bottoms are golden brown. Remove and let cool before serving.
Makes 20 cookies. Each cookie with chocolate chips contains 116 Calories (kcal); 4g Total Fat; (30% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 64mg Sodium; 1g Fiber.
705 740 20 17