I don’t usually write about the Superbowl. Heck, I wouldn’t usually even know it’s going on, but this year it is a Very Big Deal around here. After 43 years, the Saints have made it into their first Superbowl, so there’s about 43 years worth of celebrating to do, and if there’s one thing New Orleans does better than anyone else, it’s celebrate.
That celebratory spirit can be felt even as far away as Jackson. We’ll be partying with our friends S and J, who were so confident that the Saints would make it to the big game that they gave us this enormous black and gold, handmade platter for Christmas (along with a not-so-subtle hint that they’d like to see it on the blog!) I’m bringing it to their house filled with three Superbowl dips: Who Dat Hummus, Geaux Guacamole, and this tomatoless salsa with spicy Louisiana flavors. Geaux Saints!
Saintly Black and Gold Salsa
Don’t be deceived: This “Saintly” salsa has a powerful kick! Either roasted or raw corn can be used. To roast the corn, spread it out on a baking pan and spray it lightly with olive oil. Broil on the top rack, watching constantly and stirring often, until kernels just barely begin to brown. Don’t overcook or the corn will be tough.
- 4 cups cooked black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or roasted
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Tabasco, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar (or other sweetener)
- Mix the black beans (well-rinsed for best color), corn, and yellow pepper in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients and pour them over the bean mixture, stirring gently to combine. Allow to marinate for several hours for best flavor. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s) | Cooking time: 1 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Nutrition (per serving): 159 calories, 8 calories from fat, 1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 386.5mg sodium, 457.2mg potassium, 30.3g carbohydrates, 8.9g fiber, 1.5g sugar, 9.3g protein, 2.5 points.
83 378 6 66