Add to Collection
Go to Collections
You can adapt this recipe in any number of ways to fit your tastes. Like it spicy? Add cayenne or sriracha. Want to serve it as a one-dish meal? Double the serving size and add shelled cooked edamame or chickpeas. Need it lower in sodium? Skip the soy sauce.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 16 ounces bag prepared coleslaw or 15 ounces cabbage plus one carrot grated
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 3 small seedless oranges broken into sections (or 2 navel oranges, peeled and sliced)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari or soy sauce optional
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil or to taste
- sweetener to taste see Notes
Combine the coleslaw, bell pepper, and orange slices in a large salad bowl. Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over the vegetables. Allow the flavors to combine for at least half an hour in the refrigerator before serving.
I used 6 drops of NuNaturals Alcohol-Free Liquid Stevia, but you can use any sweetener you like. Just start small and add it to taste. If you’re using real sugar or syrup, count on about 2 teaspoons.
The sesame seeds and oil contribute about .81 grams of fat to each serving.
Serving size 1/8 of recipe. Calories: 46 Fat: less than 1g Carbohydrates: 10.6g Sugar: 6g Sodium: 86mg Fiber: 2.5 Protein: 1.6